Forum Settings
Forums

Can we stop pretending that we don't need more shoujo anime?

New
Oct 13, 2022 12:46 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Given the disastrous announcement of Shojo Beat recently licensing (and falsely advertising!) a SHOUNEN manga, the disappointingly small amount of shoujo manga licenses (or how late they get) outside of Japan, reignited flame wars over a SOMEHOW OFFICIAL SHOJO BEAT RESPONSE to a fan question kindly asking for reprints, and the overwhelming amount of support and sighs of relief for just ONE shoujo finally announced and it's one that some shoujo diehards straight up don't even care about... can we all finally admit that shoujo deserves better?

I see so much discourse on YouTube and here on the MAL forums essentially trying to say that shoujo kinda doesn't deserve shit and that essentially shoujo announcements have still been the same, when in reality it's the other way around. It's fine to admit that you don't care enough to research properly into arguments you're trying to make regarding something that you don't even watch much of in the first place.

I mean, compare the number of shoujo anime we get these days vs. the number of shounen or EVEN SEINEN anime the modern anime industry has brought us. With this year, I've went through seasonal charts for this year and counted that we only have 3-4 shoujo, with around 1-2 new shoujo for each season not counting stuff like specials or mini web series.

Meanwhile, with shounen, we have at least 5 frickin new shows each season, I swear it feels like we got over 20 for the year overall in fact.

Now I get that it sounds like I'm just overall pissed off about anime just cuz they just won't gimme what I want. Maybe so but if I hated anime just for that then why would I be on here then? I know y'all are tired of my posts ranting about shoujo being thanos snapped but I'm posting this thread because I'm disappointed in a medium that used to produce more of the shit that I did and still do love. It's way beyond the point of there being way, way, way more shoujo manga than there is shoujo anime as opposed to that of shounen and seinen, and now it's gotten to the point that shoujo enthusiasts are getting the word out on YouTube saying what part of what I'm trying to say. Anime is just trashy isekais, generic shonen, badly animated CGI fests, and big titties on display now. And that's just sad.

Seriously people on here are actually in denial, so many times I see people on here complaining about modern anime and saying shit about modern romcom anime romance, but then ignoring all the chad romances treated to a demographic that once enjoyed a feast of stuff like Full Moon wo Sagashite, Cardcaptor Sakura, Skip Beat, NANA, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and so on... yet they still say shoujo is boring, mid, the same shit over and over, and maybe even unnecessary overall.

Seriously... wake up, you guys.

. . .

. .

★-⋆-⋆-⋆-⋆-⋆-⋆-⋆-⋆-⋆-★

...I wonder how well this thread will age with referencing random bait that NOBODY'S gonna get lmao

Hey everyone, hope you didn't completely deem me irrelevant yet lol

So yeah, I made a shoujo thread. Again. And again. But nobody really wants to post on them, so here I am staying up all night yet again to try to talk about an issue that I really care about. And since nobody seemingly cares I have to frickin resort to shitposting copypasta just to get y'all to read this lolsrry

Did I come across as too toxic in the beginning there? I mean it everyone, I really am sorry.

But seriously though, shoujo anime kinda looks like it's dying out right now.

There are still so many shoujo manga that haven't received adaptations (or even remakes) even though you'd think that they'd get them at some point
  • Kitchen Princess - won Kodansha Manga Award in 2006 cuz it's just so zetta good
  • Full Moon wo Sagashite - anime adaptation is not completely faithful but still has cult following in places like Korea anyway
  • Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - anime adaptation is not complete, still receives new merch like Proplica though
  • Stellar Witch LIPS - fairly new and pretty mahou shoujo kaitou series that was also recently finished yet still no adaptation in sight
  • I Am Here! - manga-ka still relevant and this beautiful manga has themes that are becoming increasingly more relevant even with today's technology
  • Dengeki Daisy - massively popular back in 2000s shoujo manga discourse, manga-ka still has cult following to this day
  • QQ Sweeper / Queen's Quality - relatively new and still on-going manga made by Dengeki Daisy's manga-ka
  • A Sign of Affection - very popular in modern shoujo manga community and in Japan enough to get a musical adaptation, also has well-received deaf people representation
  • House of the Sun - won 38th Kodansha Manga Award in 2014
  • Red River - won Shogakukan Manga Award in 2000, a classic isekai that still has cult following
  • From Far Away - another classic isekai with a still present cult following, also won award this time 35th annual Seiun Award in 2004
  • BASARA - beloved and apparently high-in-demand shoujo classic that also won a Shogakukan Award in 1993
  • Life - notably brutal shoujo that won Kodansha Manga Award for shoujo in 2006, English manga release is incomplete anyway
  • Sand Chronicles - heard this was apparently a good tearjerker for some, must've been cuz it won Shogakukan Award in 2005 AND was adapted to live action TV
  • Othello. - some really zetta good Mean Girls type series from the manga-ka behind Guru Guru Pon-chan (ALSO NOT ADAPTED), which won the Kodansha Manga Award for shoujo in 2000
  • Codename Sailor V - prequel to Sailor Moon which literally needs no further explanation; in fact an adaptation WAS planned at one point but.......?
  • Cyber Idol Mink - really cute and pretty mahou shoujo idol series, mangaka is known for Saint Tail
  • Last Game - still got cult following and even just got an English release announced 11 years after its start in Japan
  • Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty - fairly recent supernatural series well-received even outside of shoujo circles
  • MeruPuri - well-received back in the day, mangaka known for Vampire Knight
  • Imadoki! - mangaka known for Fushigi Yuugi
  • Colette Decides to Die - currently fairly popular, recently ended and has currently ongoing sequel, and apparently won Hakusensha E-Book Excellence Award in 2021
  • Time Stranger Kyoko - mangaka known for Full Moon and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, also random OVA doesn't count as adaptation come on
  • Clover - music video does not count as adaptation
  • Angel Sanctuary - short OVA doesn't count as adaptation... REALLY ANY KAORI YUKI WORK, LIKE SERIOUSLY... no God Child? No Fairy Cube??

Of course the amount of shoujo not picked up is not limited to these, but like come on what are you people all doing

I'm sure the few of you who recognize these series know how good they are and may still hope for them to be adapted! If this applies to you, please feel free to share which of these you love the most and want more love for... as well as anything I may have missed because it's seriously 3 am here oh my god what am I doingggggggggg

Along with sharing your favorites that apply, what are your general thoughts? Do you hate shoujo? Do you think you will ever change your mind and give some shoujo manga/anime a chance sometime? Or does shoujo make you happy like it sometimes does for me as I read shoujo manga? Are you just really tired of me making and bumping threads related to shoujo and how we don't get cute fluffy sparkly looking girl animu anymore?

sorry i know, not as high quality as the rest of my threads, but i got school and stuff and i really want to try drawing again but... nevertheless......

Happy discussing!!

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2022 1:03 AM

May 2009
I just don't have much to say about the topic, sorry.

But I did forward your thread to a friend of mine, at least!
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 13, 2022 1:07 AM
Jan 2017
I am not very learned in the Shoujo realm, but I absolutely agree that there is a massive overexposure of Shounen and Seinen shows. Even most Magical Girl shows coming out are shounen.
Oct 13, 2022 1:42 AM

Oct 2010
I can't understand why shoujo manga isn't adapted anymore considering that there is still a big audience for that, just look at Orange and what happened after the anime (it was already famous when it was manga only though), it received 2 sequel volumes and they made a movie out of vol6. Kimi no Todoke ran for 30 volumes, also receiving bonus chapters after the end. There is basically n ogood reason as to not adapt shoujo manga, the money reason fails, the popularity reason fails (look at how well received frubas was, it also got a sequel movie).
I say it's a trend thing, bigshots just wanna invest in easy stuff like isekai and shounen, hell we don't even get ecchi anime nowadays.
In conclusion, we need variety in anime not for the sake of variety but because people would certainly watch that as proven above.
Oct 13, 2022 1:45 AM
Jun 2021
The problem is most women today prefer shounen over shoujo, and there are very few men who'd actually read a non-coomer oriented shoujo.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Oct 13, 2022 2:42 AM
Jul 2022
Fario-P said:
I mean, compare the number of shoujo anime we get these days vs. the number of shounen or EVEN SEINEN anime the modern anime industry has brought us. With this year, I've went through seasonal charts for this year and counted that we only have 3-4 shoujo, with around 1-2 new shoujo for each season not counting stuff like specials or mini web series.

You clearly counted in a strange way. This is only fall 2022:

• I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss
  • Raven of the Inner Palace
  • Bibliophile Princess
  • Romantic Killer
  • Play It Cool, Guys
  • Idolish7: Third Beat! Part 2
  • Eternal Boys
  • Vazzrock the Animation

There are probably more, but I just found this list somewhere a while back. These are all 12-24 episode television series.

But, I see the problem. You're using M.A.L.'s tagging system to filter for this. Tags are very incomplete here and many of them aren't tagged as such on M.A.L. even though they clearly are. They more so seem to tag it as a genre rather than a demographic. They also seem to use “shounen" as synonymous with what some call “magical boy”, as in action titles with magical powers and a male protagonist as in Naruto or Dragon Ball.
reginald11Oct 13, 2022 2:51 AM
Oct 13, 2022 2:52 AM

Oct 2010
reginald11 said:
Fario-P said:

• Bibliophile Princess
  • Romantic Killer
  • Play It Cool, Guys
  • Eternal Boys
  • Vazzrock the Animation

There are probably more, but I just found this list somewhere a while back. These are all 12-24 episode television series.

But, I see the problem. You're using M.A.L.'s tagging system to filter for this. Tags are very incomplete here and many of them aren't tagged as such on M.A.L. even though they clearly are. They more so seem to tag it as a genre rather than a demographic. They also seem to use “shounen" as synonymous with what some call “magical boy”, as in action titles with magical powers and a male protagonist as in Naruto or Dragon Ball.

are you trying to annoy her?
the only shoujo there is the first one, which is adapted from a shoujo LN, the rest aren't shoujo
Oct 13, 2022 2:59 AM

Oct 2019
We need more females mcs in general.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 13, 2022 3:03 AM
Jul 2022
Catalano said:
reginald11 said:

• Bibliophile Princess
  • Romantic Killer
  • Play It Cool, Guys
  • Eternal Boys
  • Vazzrock the Animation

the only shoujo there is the first one, which is adapted from a shoujo LN, the rest aren't shoujo
How on Earth are they not? Whom exactly do you think is being targeted with a boyband title here?
Oct 13, 2022 3:08 AM

Oct 2010
Catalano said:

It's not completely pointless when the OP is missing them in her rant. Saying this: "Anime is just trashy isekais, generic shonen, badly animated CGI fests, and big titties on display now".

Like one gets that shojo manga has been severely underrepresented, but one would think, looking at these titles, that the reason behind is that the industry is favoring other sources for primarily female-oriented shows. Let's hope that some of these classic shojo get an adaptation sooner or later though, there seems to be a bit of a nostalgic wave in the industry as well.
Oct 13, 2022 3:17 AM
Jul 2022
jal90 said:
Catalano said:

It's not completely pointless when the OP is missing them in her rant. Saying this: "Anime is just trashy isekais, generic shonen, badly animated CGI fests, and big titties on display now".

Like one gets that shojo manga has been severely underrepresented, but one would think, looking at these titles, that the reason behind is that the industry is favoring other sources for primarily female-oriented shows. Let's hope that some of these classic shojo get an adaptation sooner or later though, there seems to be a bit of a nostalgic wave in the industry as well.
Indeed, most come from novels, and that's the same with a lot of animation these days. The times of animation mostly using strips as a source is over and novels have taken over.

You will also note that none of them seem to be down-to-earth title set at an ordinary Japanese high school. These setting are more common in strips, and more commonly adapted to live action for obvious reasons since it's cheaper whereas all the magic and fancy buildings would require special effects and custom sets that are too expensive.
Oct 13, 2022 3:20 AM

May 2018

Like only one of those - Koukyuu no Karasu is a genuine attempt at writing a story which makes sense. The rest are fuijo bait and harem trash.
Oct 13, 2022 3:22 AM

May 2021
I never realized Shoujo fans were so obsessive as Shounen fans, often every week there is one topic like this claiming a imaginary injustice agaisnt the genre, not understanding the reasons of such events in the actual market is obviously a coping mechanism from them, delusional in every way. Now I am starting to wonder why they never were called Shoujotards.
Oct 13, 2022 3:27 AM
Jul 2022
alshu said:

Like only one of those - Koukyuu no Karasu is a genuine attempt at writing a story which makes sense. The rest are fuijo bait and harem trash.
Perhaps they are, but I never claimed they were good which is more subjective.

Xenophon01 said:
I never realized Shoujo fans were so obsessive as Shounen fans, often every week there is one topic like this claiming a imaginary injustice agaisnt the genre, not understanding the reasons of such events in the actual market is obviously a coping mechanism from them, delusional in every way. Now I am starting to wonder why they never were called Shoujotards.
There isn't even a market drought as I quoted. The problem is that it's not the one's they like that are being adapted.

There are surely more than those eight, in any case.
Oct 13, 2022 3:40 AM

May 2018
reginald11 said:

And here comes OP's point - almost all the good shoujo (and josei) sources are skipped. Like titles which have some sort of ambition and potential to become a decent hit, eventually putting shoujo (and josei) back on the map. The most of the greenlit projects are blatant otome pandering - my guess is very little girls pay attention to those. (There was a slight peak of interest towards the "reborn as villainess" titles, but sadly those are not good enough.)
alshuOct 13, 2022 3:46 AM
Oct 13, 2022 3:43 AM

May 2021
@Fario-P, the title wasn't inspired by another thread gaining lots of traction here on MAL, was it? 😂

Though i'm not that into shoujo myself, i do agree the number and quality of shoujo released today has dropped, the golden age of shoujo were the 90s/2000s

reginald11 said:
Fario-P said:

• Bibliophile Princess
  • Romantic Killer
  • Play It Cool, Guys
  • Eternal Boys
  • Vazzrock the Animation

Yeah... when you include the one title OP has already stated as being a shounen romance i fail to take you seriously
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Oct 13, 2022 3:49 AM

Dec 2012
Idk man shoujo anime is too cheesy for me, but it's definitely been a while since I've seen a proper shoujo/josei anime actually make it to seasonals tbh
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 13, 2022 3:53 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
one of my all time favorite anime is the new adaptation for fruits basket, another of my favorites is yona of the dawn, which i greatly enjoy following (and physically purchasing) in manga form.

though i haven't experienced as many shoujo series as i have some other demographics, i'm interested in (slowly) changing that and i would love if classic shoujo titles that i haven't read\heard about would get quality and high profile adaptations, reprints that get some marketing pushes and so on.

i will say though, that whenever i shadow frequent these threads, i find a lot of the responses to be toxic and they kind of turn me off trying to engage with these fans in any attempt to learn what might be there in the demographic for me, as not unliike most other MAL users, a lot of the time instead of trying to further any kind of positivity regarding this part of the fandom, that they supposedly love and are a part of, people seem more interested in flexing and saying how more recent shoujo series suck (such as the ones i've mentioned that i adore) and how that one manga from the 70's the no one but them has ever heard about is a hundred times better than those popular ones that made me interested in this demographic in the first place.

regardless and as i've stated, i'm interested in experiencing and supporting more shoujo series. not too long ago i purchased half of kitchen princess physically (and the rest digitally since it wasn't available physically in a reasonable price) and really liked it and got to read a couple others through kindle unlimited which were alright, though i do prefer to read and own physical volumes, as you might conclude from what i wrote.

so, thanks for putting together these threads, that always seem like a lot of thought and effort were poured into them and to answer your question, yes, i really hope both the industry and the community would stop pretending we don't need shoujos, as we definitely do, or at least i do.

maybe some high profile videos from more mainstream anitubers could help, though honestly i don't really know what could spark a real shoujo anime renaissance other than some massive commercial mega hit, but i hope that it happens.
Oct 13, 2022 4:05 AM
Jul 2022
alshu said:
reginald11 said:

And here comes OP's point - almost all the good shoujo (and josei) sources are skipped. Like titles which have some sort of ambition and potential to become a decent hit, eventually putting shoujo (and josei) back on the map. The most of the greenlit projects are blatant otome pandering - my guess is very little girls pay attention to those. (There was a slight peak of interest towards the "reborn as villainess" titles, but sadly those are not good enough.)
So it's more that o.p.'s personal taste isn't being fulfilled than anything else?

Surely we can agree that they adapt what they think brings them money? Apparently “otome pandering” as you call it brings in my more money and has a larger audience.
DigiCat said:

Yeah... when you include the one title OP has already stated as being a shounen romance i fail to take you seriously
O.p. stating it so doesn't make it so.
There's a reason the announcers disagreed with it and called it “shoujo”. In this case that reason would be that that title has a majority audience of young females and was clearly targeted at young females, which should be obvious from the description and that it's an “otome harem” alone.

Perhaps when o.p. says “shoujo” he simply means “what I like” and when he says “shounen” he means “what I do not like”, but this is a title about a single female protagonist forced to live in a world of attractive male love interests. — Do you really think the target demographic for this was young males?
Oct 13, 2022 4:38 AM

May 2018
reginald11 said:
So it's more that o.p.'s personal taste isn't being fulfilled than anything else?

Since the mentioned otpme pandering is not getting much traction that means it's not only a matter of OP's personal taste.

reginald11 said:
Surely we can agree that they adapt what they think brings them money?

What they do here is betting on cheap production and minimal income (mostly promises for increase in the of the source) from low quality escapism. With this approach there's a zero chance of rivaling the shounen megahits, thus zero chance of making big money.

reginald11 said:
Apparently “otome pandering” as you call it brings in my more money and has a larger audience.

Most of the time those money invested in the anime project by the source's publisher are written off as publicity expenses. No significant increase of the income, since said publicity (the anime) is quite apathetic.
Oct 13, 2022 4:39 AM

May 2021
reginald11 said:
alshu said:

Surely we can agree that they adapt what they think brings them money? Apparently “otome pandering” as you call it brings in my more money and has a larger audience.
DigiCat said:

O.p. stating it so doesn't make it so.
There's a reason the announcers disagreed with it and called it “shoujo”. In this case that reason would be that that title has a majority audience of young females and was clearly targeted at young females, which should be obvious from the description and that it's an “otome harem” alone.

Perhaps when o.p. says “shoujo” he simply means “what I like” and when he says “shounen” he means “what I do not like”, but this is a title about a single female protagonist forced to live in a world of attractive male love interests. — Do you really think the target demographic for this was young males?

Dude, Romantic Killer is literally an adaptation of a Shounen Jump manga!
Sure it may be one which appeals to girls, but it's still a shounen

It's like saying Banana Fish isn't shoujo 'cause it's not the typical girly romance but instead has a crap tone of action which typically appeals to guys
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Oct 13, 2022 4:47 AM
Jul 2022
alshu said:
reginald11 said:

Since the mentioned otpme pandering is not getting much traction that means it's not only a matter of OP's personal taste.
Apparently it is, eight titles this season and probably more.

reginald11 said:
Surely we can agree that they adapt what they think brings them money?

What they do here is betting on cheap production and minimal income (mostly promises for increase in the of the source) from low quality escapism. With this approach there's a zero chance of rivaling the shounen megahits, thus zero chance of making big money.
I sincerely doubt these titles cost less to produce than many others. I've seen the trailers and the animation looks as good as many others, especially The Raven of the Inner Palace looks to have very high quality animation.

reginald11 said:
Apparently “otome pandering” as you call it brings in my more money and has a larger audience.

Most of the time those money invested in the anime project by the source's publisher are written off as publicity expenses. No significant increase of the income, since said publicity (the anime) is quite apathetic. [/quote]So you believe they are throwing money away at nothing?

DigiCat said:

Dude, Romantic Killer is literally an adaptation of a Shounen Jump manga!
And what of it? That magazine has been running many titles aimed at young girls for a very long time.
Sure it may be one which appeals to girls, but it's still a shounen
So a title whose primary demographic is young girls is “stil a shounen” because it runs in “shounen jump”?, a magazine with 51% female readers?

It's like saying Banana Fish isn't shoujo 'cause it's not the typical girly romance but instead has a crap tone of action which typically appeals to guys

No, it would be like saying that it wouldn't if the majority of the readers were male and it was clearly designed to be enjoyed by males.

In this case, the title is designed to target young females and the majority of the readers are.

I can't help but feel you dodged what I ask. Do you sincerely believe this title is trying to target anything but young girls?
Oct 13, 2022 4:48 AM

Jul 2015
Nobody said, that we don't need.
I would totally dig some romance from female POV.

Oct 13, 2022 4:54 AM

Jul 2021
I think we should stop pretending that anime is getting better day by day
Oct 13, 2022 5:08 AM

May 2018
reginald11 said:
Apparently it is, eight titles this season and probably more.

The exact number doesn't matter, fact is it's dominating the anime shoujo market.

reginald11 said:
I sincerely doubt these titles cost less to produce than many others.

And I disagree.

reginald11 said:
I've seen the trailers and the animation looks as good as many others

But of course they will put the best looking parts in the trailer.

reginald11 said:
especially The Raven of the Inner Palace looks to have very high quality animation.

You mean that exact title I listed as "only one of those","a genuine attempt at writing a story which makes sense". It's a rare exception.
But I will disappoint you - the animation is quite limited. Its strengths are period accurate character designs, frame composition, dramatic lighting and some nice backgrounds...which works since it's mostly supernatural detective investigation.

reginald11 said:
So you believe they are throwing money away at nothing?

Similarly to the adaptions of generic isekai. It's more of a publicity for the catalogue of the publisher, not the title itself.
By the way there's a very similar thing going on in donghua too - but there it's about the webpages were are the source web novels are published at.
alshuOct 13, 2022 5:31 AM
Oct 13, 2022 5:13 AM

Jun 2017
Idc if there will be more shoujo or not, romance is my least favourite genre after all and the majority of shoujo anime is romance and mahou shoujo which is really not my thing but one day I try Cardcaptor Sakura and Princess Tutu
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata
Oct 13, 2022 5:18 AM

May 2021
reginald11 said:
And what of it? That magazine has been running many titles aimed at young girls for a very long time.

And so have other shounen magazines, but guess what, things like Noragami wich have a majority female audience, are in a shounen magazines 'cause they were originally meant as shounen but happened to appeal more to girls, and good for the magazine 'cause that means more people will buy it

reginald11 said:
So a title whose primary demographic is young girls is “stil a shounen” because it runs in “shounen jump”?, a magazine with 51% female readers?

Yes, 'cause girls are allowed to like shounen you know
Oct 13, 2022 5:22 AM

Apr 2012
We need better shoujo anime. Its golden age was the late 90s and early 00s. Kodocha, Utena, KareKano, CCS, Furuba, Princess Tutu. All amongst the best anime ever made. But in the last 20 years, there's been nothing to compare. "Shoujo" nowadays seems to be synonymous with milquetoast romances and the occasional remake. The whole thing seems to have lost any confidence to even try to make the new best anime ever. Even stuff from that past era I don't think is quite as successful like Fushigi Yuugi or 12 Kingdoms, it is at least trying, aiming for that big scope. Shoujo anime nowadays is just timid. And it's unhealthy for the medium. One of the strengths of anime as a medium used to be that you got the deepest, darkest hopes and fears of both boys and girls in the same area, coming together and intermingling and producing alchemy. You don't get that any more.
Oct 13, 2022 5:30 AM
Jul 2022
DigiCat said:
reginald11 said:

And so have other shounen magazines, but guess what, things like Noragami wich have a majority female audience, are in a shounen magazines 'cause they were originally meant as shounen but happened to appeal more to girls, and good for the magazine 'cause that means more people will buy it

reginald11 said:

They are not “meant as shounen". This title was blatantly and obviously from the start meant to appeal to a target audience of young females.

Do you actually think that an “otome harem” title was ever trying to appeal to males?

You're hung up on some name of a magazine that carried that name for 40 years. This isn't the 1980s any more; the name simply stuck and W.S.J. has stopped being what you call a “shounen magazine” two decades ago; they simply never changed the name.
Oct 13, 2022 5:34 AM

Oct 2017
I mean is it common to say such things lol? This post really just feels like please anime industry make more what I like and I get that but objectively if shojo manga did sell to the same degree shonen and seinen manga did we would see more. I think last year we had maybe 3 shojo/josei manga in the top 50 sellers the other 47 were shonen/seinen. Granted some like Moriaty the Patriot obviously are also catering to women (the branch of shonen manga going for both demographics may account too as shonen at times feels less like aimed at teen boys and more mass appeal). There hasn't been any big shojo sellers like in the 2000s where manga like Nana where in competition with battle shonen in sales.

I have heard that generally women while buy manga at the same rate as men don't watch anime to the same degree. Don't know how true that is but I have seen a few notable shojo manga go to drama adaptions so it may have truth.

Ultimately I am all for more demographic and genre variety but the market needs to be there. Women who watch anime tend to now either read/watch shonen/seinen that have wide appeal (Spy x Family) or get pretty borderline in just being shojo (Ancient Magus Bride), otome adaptions/female led modern isekai which we are getting or BL or BL bait. You still need to actually have a few hit titles. If the money is there it will get made.

Chole_Bhature said:

Along with people pretending it's getting worse that would be nice.
BilboBaggins365Oct 13, 2022 5:38 AM
Oct 13, 2022 5:51 AM

Jan 2015
Its worth mentioning that overall trends would still apply in the same way in this setting. We absolutely will be seeing more (trashy?) isekai Shoujo titles in production and I suspect that this will ramp up massively over the coming years. The anime community has odd blinders when it comes to content produced in, for example, manwha/Ln settings, but the fact that we are seeing even the most appalling and tasteless isekai trope basher garbage being picked up implies to me that the bloated backlog of 'Villianess' titled works will see numerous adaptions, and many of those titles saw plenty of success in their own markets.
Its also worth mentioning that overall watching habits across almost all demographics are diversifying, mostly i feel due to lack of content. Many people I know who would never have considered anime at all have several titles under their belts, and typically they are watching the extremely accessible shounen titles, which actually do a pretty good job of catering to a wide audience.

Whether you agree with this or not, I personally am looking forward to the mass adaption of the villianess titles because, at the very least, they are not the shallow debased predatory fantasies being pedaled relentlessly to market at the moment.
Oct 13, 2022 5:55 AM
Dec 2017
Where do i even begin with this one? to get this out of the way, as always i deeply appreciate the amount of effort you put into your threads as always especially the shoujo theme ones and anytime a thread of yours drops, its always like Christmas coming early. And we have a lot to unpack here so i'm going to do my best to share my thoughts on the topic. And don't worry i got that reference with waking up and smelling the coffee, i've used that twewy reference before on some of my own threads too.

1)Yeah i remember, you mentioning on discord, not only about viz media publishing a shounen romance under shoujo beat but also one of their editors acting very petty af as well too in regards to why shoujo is not often being published or something like that to the best of my recollection and thats just sketchy af. Like bruh if companies keep behaving like that, then no wonder why they'll cry when the lose money because i'm pretty sure that false advertisement is grounds to be facing massive lawsuits for if we're going the Ace Attorney route here. And i have no sympathy at all for any company who does go under if their own malice gets in the way.

2)Even shounen and seinen as well are often overlooked because of the constant favoring of neetaku narou kei,goldfish attention span name isekai after another. And even shoujo ones don't get adapted often as the most modern one i can think of is my next life as the villainess so correct me if i am wrong if thats the most modern shoujo isekai being adapted.

3)Its ironic to me, how people complain about shoujo being all generic yet, they go on stanning for the same kind of generic romanc story over and over again thats set in a school (even more ironic when they complain about shoujo being cutesy and uwu shounen romance has alot of it as well too) like my dress up darling and horimiya and the latter i have a particular hatred for due to the bdsm shit and how much of a jealous thot, hori could really be. And ironically enough, their all time favorite manga berserk was even influenced by a shoujo, rose of versailes to be exact and its funny how they complain about shoujo being cutesy and uwuy yet berserk of all things was inspired by a shoujo lmao. Rules for thee never for me hate that shit alot and don't bother with the hypocrites at all is what i would say. Focus on the passionate shoujo fans thats on your friendslist as well as the newcomers curious about shoujo on your friendslist as well too help them out discovering new gems like the works of Kaori Yuki. Trust me, some our own mutual good friends are getting into Kaori Yuki's works like Monochronsity and Iva- because of me often talking about her works and you better help me in convincing them into trying the good goth shit out they want the edge well they got it is what i'll say.

4)Yep, it really is a pity lot of Kaori Yuki's works are not even adapted properly and Angel Sanctuary is the biggest offender liek it could really benefit from a fruba reboot and if you think all shoujo is cutesy and uwuy think again if Clover gets a full adaptation and any of Kaori Yuki's stuff get adapted it would be like Bananafish where alot of fans would come over and enjoy the hell out of it. And i've read all of the manga you mentioned on my list as lot of it were either from me looking through your list or you reccing it to me or our mutual people on our own friendslists.

5)Speaking of Bananafish theres alot of shoujo that guys can like just look at X/1999 or Godchild by Kaori Yuki i liked both and they were the first shoujos i've read. And play it cool guys is a moderrn shoujo i really wanna see be liscenced and i wanna watch it when its finished and i'm sure lot of dudes would like the plot as well too.

6)Back when i was a kid, i had a shounentard phase but seeing black butler was the start of my taste of anime changing because i was looking at stuff outside of what i usually see and then i saw cowboy bebop wowed at how different it was to other anime then i started getting more into manga after reading record of a fallen vampire after finding out square enix owned gangan comics and wanted to see what they have and it was through you i got more into shoujo after you rec'd Full Moon and then iva- who gave me quite a bit of shoujo works as well too and i've given her cowboy bebop and psycho pass to enjoy and like as well too. And if you look at my collection of manga, i do have alot of shoujo in it i got from value village and also shoujo like games like rhapsody a musical adventure and a witches tale.

So overall yes, i think its high time, for anime fans to really wake the fuck up and smell the coffee and that hypebeast shounentard clout chasing mindless shill behavior is the kind of mentality, Mr.H of all people would have 0 patience for because, deluding yourself in that kind of mentality is not healthy at all and if you want my advice, to paraphrase Mirai be, the change you want to be and support the shoujo you want to see be supported and always never be afraid to boycott companies whenever they behave badly as well either. Sometimes you gotta go TWEWY levels of rebelion to see the change you wanna make in this case see more shoujo being produced. I know i sound like i'm beating a dead horse but yeah real talk TWEWY is all about getting out of hiveminds and focusing on enjoying life and doing what you wanna do i know ironic coming from me given the threads i've made in the past but yeah, still if you want more shoujo to be produced you gotta 1) Purchase from shoujo series you wanna support. 2)Make fan art specially of obscure shoujo and 3)make recs and lots and lots of them.

Ack, i know i sound like i got carried away but nevertheless this has to be the longest i've ever made a post on mal, as most threads are just post and go for me but since this one is the unusual make an active engaging conversation and its especially from a thread topic i'm interested in and i only post on threads that interest me especially if ones my friends have made then i'm going to go all out on this and overall i agree with you 100 percent and as always thanx a bunch 4 making this thread and be sure to keep an eye out for the shoujo themed threads i have in mind as its been a while since i've did them anyway as we can always use more of them since they are always a blast to post on them.

One more thing of note is that Mitsuda Yasunori composed some of the black butler music as well too btw. And while games may disapoint, Yoko Shimoura,Mitsuda Yasunori and Takeharu Ishimoto and Nobuou Uemetsu certainly won't.
Disapeared_GhostOct 13, 2022 6:04 AM

Oct 13, 2022 6:00 AM

Sep 2020
The current demand in the anime industry is related with genres such as Isekai, Rom-com and Nekketsu. Unfortunately, as long most people demand stuff with those genres, the creation of more shoujo anime will be less probable.
Oct 13, 2022 6:09 AM

Jan 2015
RomanceEnjoyer48 said:
The current demand in the anime industry is related with genres such as Isekai, Rom-com and Nekketsu. Unfortunately, as long most people demand stuff with those genres, the creation of more shoujo anime will be less probable.

The reason for the startling number of isekai titles is not just because of the appeal of the setting. Its shorthand for what to expect from the story. The exact same exists for isekai shoujo titles as well, they just aren't getting the same quantities of adaptions.. yet. Or rather, they are getting produced, less often but increasingly, and I expect this trend to escalate meaningfully into the future.

Also, a lot of the titles being released are not popular at all, they are just watched most reliably by the fan base.
Oct 13, 2022 6:25 AM

Jun 2019
I'm loving the shoujo and shoujo-adjacent anime we've got this season in Raven in the Inner Palace, Villainess Tames Final Boss and Bibliophile Princess. Hope we get many more.
Oct 13, 2022 6:26 AM

Aug 2012
Well, if they decide to put out more shoujo... I would want a second season of Akatsuki no Yona. 8 years after the anime ended and there is sooooo much manga content, but it still hasn't happened despite it's popularity! Why?! That goes for a lot of shoujo series, but honestly, I just can't get passed the fact that they have yet to make another season of Akatsuki no Yona! T^T
Oct 13, 2022 6:51 AM
Jan 2019
Ahhh, thank you so much for this. I love shoujo and I would love to see more adaptations and, you know, actually GOOD adaptations. It seems like they ignore all the good shoujo mangas out there and only choose to adapt generic, uninteresting ones. Akatsuki no Yona is a true masterpiece, but we only got one season many years ago. Yubisaki to Renren has been selling well but no sign of getting an adaptation.
Oct 13, 2022 6:53 AM

May 2021
reginald11 said:
DigiCat said:

They are not “meant as shounen". This title was blatantly and obviously from the start meant to appeal to a target audience of young females.

Do you actually think that an “otome harem” title was ever trying to appeal to males?

You're hung up on some name of a magazine that carried that name for 40 years. This isn't the 1980s any more; the name simply stuck and W.S.J. has stopped being what you call a “shounen magazine” two decades ago; they simply never changed the name.

You do know there are romance anime targeted to guys right?
Shounen romance have different humor, different filming angles, and different storytelling styles that distinguish them from shoujo romance
Yes they can be cute, yes girls can like them, but don't go calling them shoujo to then complain about them when a panty shot comes on screen, seriosly the amount of girls/women i've seen complain on this site saying stuff like "why does my shoujo anime have panties and boobs and fanservice made for the male gaze REEEEEEEEEE!!!" it's because you're not watching fucking shoujo

All you have to do is look at a few manga panels of Romantic Killer to figure out it's drawn to be a shounen, regardless of if in the end the story might appeal more to girls
Oct 13, 2022 7:11 AM

May 2021
ehh probably because not all shoujos/shoujo titles appeal to most 'average anime watchers' and animation studios have to actually make money?? think about it. also, nowadays a lot of girls (the 'target demographic' of shoujo) actually watch and prefer shounen or seinen. don't get me wrong tho, there are some very good shoujo shows out there.
Oct 13, 2022 7:20 AM

Jun 2011
I am getting a ton of great recommendations from this post!

I agree with you soo much, shojo is so underrated. Still waiting for an anime adaptation of High School Debut after a decade. :(

Beauty Pop, Cat Street, Kingyosou, Rec:Kimi ga Naita Hi, Hitsuji no Namida, Dengeki Daisy, Hana to Akuma, Aozora Yell..

However it is just unfortunate that the majority of girls now support yaoi anime more than shojo. Not necessarily yaoi but sports/action with bishonen who they can ship.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 13, 2022 7:37 AM
Dec 2017
ToG25thBaam said:
I am getting a ton of great recommendations from this post!

I agree with you soo much, shojo is so underrated. Still waiting for an anime adaptation of High School Debut after a decade. :(

Beauty Pop, Cat Street, Kingyosou, Rec:Kimi ga Naita Hi, Hitsuji no Namida, Dengeki Daisy, Hana to Akuma, Aozora Yell..

However it is just unfortunate that the majority of girls now support yaoi anime more than shojo. Not necessarily yaoi but sports/action with bishonen who they can ship.

You have to check out kaori yuki's works not just what op mentioned.

fairy cube,bloodhound dx,neji,demon from afar,red riding hood,alice in muderland,ludwig and kaine are just a sample of how good her stuff is.
Disapeared_GhostOct 13, 2022 7:53 AM

Oct 13, 2022 7:40 AM

Jul 2017
I would like more shoujo anime in general but there aren't many shoujo manga I read that I would love an anime adaptation nowadays for immediately besides like Ohayou, Ibarahime or more Ouran High School Host Club (whether a continuation or remake/full adaptation).
Oct 13, 2022 7:46 AM
Jul 2022
DigiCat said:

Yes, but not “otome harems”. Shojo Beat anounced it as “shoujo”, even W.S.J.'s own web-page calls it one, so does Japanese Wikipedia and if you one go look at cmoa.jp and look at the “people that bought this also bought” segment it's clear what it is.

[quote]Shounen romance have different humor, different filming angles, and different storytelling styles that distinguish them from shoujo romance
Yes they can be cute, yes girls can like them, but don't go calling them shoujo to then complain about them when a panty shot comes on screen, And this doesn't have any of that, did you even watch the trailer? Go look it up on youtube and view the profiles of all the people that say they like it in the comments; they're all female when their gender can be determined from the profile.

seriosly the amount of girls/women i've seen complain on this site saying stuff like "why does my shoujo anime have panties and boobs and fanservice made for the male gaze REEEEEEEEEE!!!" it's because you're not watching fucking shoujo
Quite so, the kind that read nothing more than titles with female protagonists and male love interests and were very angry at Citrus and Netuzou TRap, for they were titles with female love interests that sexualized female characters, this could not be, because only male characters are allowed to be sexualized in “shoujo” of course.

All you have to do is look at a few manga panels of Romantic Killer to figure out it's drawn to be a shounen
Or maybe you simply have an outdated understanding of art styles. I think I know the type of art style you refer to but it's been a long while since all art targeting teenage girls looked like that.

This is publiished in a magazine, B's Log that claims to have over 99% female readership. Art these days is more varied. The complaint isn't “not having a lot of shoujo anime”; the complaint is not having the type o.p. and you like, which is a different matter.

regardless of if in the end the story might appeal more to girls
It's not “in the end” but “at the start”; you speak as though this be an accident. The title was from the start written to appeal to young girls; it's marketing campaign targets young girls; and almost all of the readers are young girls. — It's simply not the genre you like, but that doesn't mean the demographic is any different. You've simply lost track of how broad the demographic is nowadays. — Again, consider B's Log, it's a 99% female readership magazine that focuses primarily on video game themed content.
Oct 13, 2022 7:49 AM

Nov 2021
I’d love to see more family life shoujo anime, rest I don’t care about.
Oct 13, 2022 7:50 AM

Jan 2013
It would be great to see a big resurgence of shoujo, but I'm not sure what can be realistically expected.

Still, I'm very pleased to see several shoujo airing this fall.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 13, 2022 8:37 AM

Jul 2021
BilboBaggins365 said:
I mean is it common to say such things lol? This post really just feels like please anime industry make more what I like and I get that but objectively if shojo manga did sell to the same degree shonen and seinen manga did we would see more. I think last year we had maybe 3 shojo/josei manga in the top 50 sellers the other 47 were shonen/seinen. Granted some like Moriaty the Patriot obviously are also catering to women (the branch of shonen manga going for both demographics may account too as shonen at times feels less like aimed at teen boys and more mass appeal). There hasn't been any big shojo sellers like in the 2000s where manga like Nana where in competition with battle shonen in sales.

I have heard that generally women while buy manga at the same rate as men don't watch anime to the same degree. Don't know how true that is but I have seen a few notable shojo manga go to drama adaptions so it may have truth.

Ultimately I am all for more demographic and genre variety but the market needs to be there. Women who watch anime tend to now either read/watch shonen/seinen that have wide appeal (Spy x Family) or get pretty borderline in just being shojo (Ancient Magus Bride), otome adaptions/female led modern isekai which we are getting or BL or BL bait. You still need to actually have a few hit titles. If the money is there it will get made.

Chole_Bhature said:

Along with people pretending it's getting worse that would be nice.
no way we are pretending that . Even if it is not actually true we actually think that and we are not pretending
Oct 13, 2022 9:42 AM

Dec 2020
the latest shoujo is about a 26 year old male grooming a 15 year old girl.
doilyOct 13, 2022 10:11 AM
Oct 13, 2022 10:20 AM

May 2021
reginald11 said:
DigiCat said:

Yes, but not “otome harems”. Shojo Beat anounced it as “shoujo”, even W.S.J.'s own web-page calls it one, so does Japanese Wikipedia and if you one go look at cmoa.jp and look at the “people that bought this also bought” segment it's clear what it is.

Shounen romance have different humor, different filming angles, and different storytelling styles that distinguish them from shoujo romance
Yes they can be cute, yes girls can like them, but don't go calling them shoujo to then complain about them when a panty shot comes on screen, And this doesn't have any of that, did you even watch the trailer? Go look it up on youtube and view the profiles of all the people that say they like it in the comments; they're all female when their gender can be determined from the profile.

Quite so, the kind that read nothing more than titles with female protagonists and male love interests and were very angry at Citrus and Netuzou TRap, for they were titles with female love interests that sexualized female characters, this could not be, because only male characters are allowed to be sexualized in “shoujo” of course.

Or maybe you simply have an outdated understanding of art styles. I think I know the type of art style you refer to but it's been a long while since all art targeting teenage girls looked like that.

This is publiished in a magazine, B's Log that claims to have over 99% female readership. Art these days is more varied. The complaint isn't “not having a lot of shoujo anime”; the complaint is not having the type o.p. and you like, which is a different matter.

It's not “in the end” but “at the start”; you speak as though this be an accident. The title was from the start written to appeal to young girls; it's marketing campaign targets young girls; and almost all of the readers are young girls. — It's simply not the genre you like, but that doesn't mean the demographic is any different. You've simply lost track of how broad the demographic is nowadays. — Again, consider B's Log, it's a 99% female readership magazine that focuses primarily on video game themed content.

I'm not talking about the artstyle, but about certain angles things are drawn in a way to appeal to guys
Of course Women are allowed to be sexy in shoujo, but it's gonna be drawn from a woman's perspective
It's 100% normal that shounen, target audience male, is gonna draw women in a way that's desireble, and shoujo, target audience female, is gonna draw men in a way that's desireble

And there's many other things which are done differently with shounen and shoujo
Take battle shounen for example and compare it to something like Precure, which could be considered a battle shoujo, both are action genre, but there gonna be distinc differences between the way battles look in something like MHA (shounen) vs how they look in Precure (shoujo)

And that's just a general idea, there's also gonna be exeptions, experiments, which don't follow similar paterns we usually see

And where the hell did you come up with the idea that i'm complaining about not getting the shoujo i like?? I don't even like most typical shoujo anime
Oct 13, 2022 10:22 AM
Sep 2022
I love shoujo animes with all my heart, they're what got me into anime in the first place. I think to talk about this it's also just plain ignorance to not bring up the fact that anime is more geared towards the male audience. A lot of fan service is practically the norm and standard
Oct 13, 2022 10:40 AM

Mar 2020
OP I am afraid we are entering an era where most of the shoujo you will get is generic villainess crap which female version of male generic power fantasy :V

However i agree with everyone of your points love your posts as always

Edit -also once again someone in comments tried to justified why a trashy female villainess shit is better than trashy generic male isekai bro they both trash catered for differnet audience to enoy just admit.
AnimeFA78NOct 13, 2022 10:56 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
12 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
20 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
31 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.