Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 15, 2016 10:03 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol I find this episode kinda funny mainly because of the kids doing rakugo (and in the baths too). This goes to show that anyone of any age can do it if they try.

Episode felt kinda slow but quite refreshing.
The performance from Kikuhiko was meh but Hatsuhiro's performance was fucking gold.
Stark700Jan 15, 2016 1:50 PM
Jan 15, 2016 1:02 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pacing was similar to the first episode's pace. I'm starting to like Yakumo more and more now. Also his performance was pretty good, though I enjoy Yotarou's performances more.

4/5
Jan 15, 2016 1:28 PM

Apr 2015
No way this was 24 mins! Time flew! This is absolutely amazing I just love the subtlety. The characters and their dialogues feel so realistic and refreshing.
Jan 15, 2016 1:51 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
That honestly felt like 10 minutes. Engaging and very well-put backstory of two promising Rakugo masters' endeavor. I think the reason behind Yakumo's slight discontent towards Sukeroku's style shown in previous episode is apparent now. Yet, he can't completely disapprove of it since it's superior to his own in more than one sense, which he probably admits on a personal level, too.

PV for next week looks interesting. Continuous envy, a cute girl and the promise. I hope there'll be some romance. :3

Jan 15, 2016 1:54 PM

Dec 2013
I really like this anime so far. Characters and pacing are great ^.^
Jan 15, 2016 2:07 PM

Apr 2011
Second episode and I am in love. I know it's too early to judge but I really like this anime. The general atmoshpere, the characters, the story, their struggles EVERYTHING.

Their friendship is so easy yet strong at the same time. They understand each other well even if they are complete opposites.

I can't wait to marathon this when it's complete.
Jan 15, 2016 2:15 PM

Nov 2012
One,two,three,four,five,six,seven,eight...mister what time is it?
Oh,it's four.
Five,six,seven,eight...Hey,mister, what time is it?
Oh,it's four.
Five,six,seven,eight...mister show mercy already!
Jan 15, 2016 2:15 PM

Aug 2010
So he had bad legs since childhood? Quite the tragic past for both. Really looking forward to see how Yakumo grows in fame. I wonder how many eps will be dedicated to this backstory?
Jan 15, 2016 2:16 PM

Jun 2015
Another solid episode, it went by really fast though. Too fast ;_;

Can't wait for next week's.
Jan 15, 2016 2:18 PM

Feb 2015
I wanted more! The performances are great. So captivating. The voicing in this show really shines through the rakugo. I loved the camera work.
Jan 15, 2016 2:20 PM

May 2015
Ah, this episode felt quite calm compared to last week's double.

I like how Yakumo and Sukeroku were contrasted, both in their personality and performances.

I can't wait for more :)
Jan 15, 2016 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Yakumo's rakugo was quite bad. He needs to put a little more passions on his acting skills!

Yotarou's performances was much more fun to watch!
Jan 15, 2016 2:40 PM

Nov 2007
First time when the two of them entered. Comparing to him, who came from the adults' plan, another guy is passionate about Rakugo. The teacher suggested both of them to sentou. He was told the truth, which made him cry and told him why he's there.

Then they grew up, and each got the name for being the professional in Rakugo. After his teacher's instruction, he became fear of keep doing Rakugo. He tries his first time, but he bores the audiences. Another guy successfully entertained the audiences for his first time. His main goal was to make the main guy laugh and get relaxed.

ED: "Kaha Kawa, Taredoki (かは、たれどき)" by Kana Shibue (渋江夏奈)
tsubasaloverJan 22, 2016 11:17 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 15, 2016 2:46 PM

Oct 2013
Hoping we'll see a couple more episodes with those two characters, the chemistry between them is fun to watch.

Jan 15, 2016 2:54 PM

Dec 2013
I wish there were like a dozen of these kinds of shows every season...
Jan 15, 2016 3:16 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Gymkata said:

The sad bit is that it will probably have pitiful sales. Nothing here for the otaku to chew on.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 15, 2016 3:16 PM

Sep 2014
Gymkata said:

Same here, it'd be so much nicer seeing more unique things like this.
Jan 15, 2016 3:28 PM
Aug 2011
One thing I feared about this, that perhaps I would never understand the style of the comedy used in these performances but that repeating, "It's four. 5, 6, 7, 8." part gave me a chuckle.

Such a difference in storytelling between both of them.
Zura's Yakumo's seiyuu is killing it, between sounding older/younger and sounding more dull than the rest.

I love all the subtle body movements and details as well.

Fantastic.
Jan 15, 2016 3:47 PM

Dec 2010
will the entire story be flashbacks now? Cus i saw that somewhere
"If you don't love anyone, it'll make your life easier. But, I don't want to believe it's useless to love anyone" - Hikari Sakishima
Jan 15, 2016 4:01 PM

Nov 2014
I know that by law, as a 34-year old fan of subtle and sedately paced anime like Mushishi and Anne no Nikki, I'm supposed to love and appreciate this show, but I've been struggling with it. Every time a rakugo performance starts, my mind starts drifting really hard. I have to rewind back a couple of times, and force myself to pay attention. I'm a visual person. I'd rather see stories than have them told to me.

With all that said, I liked everything else before and after the performances. It was interesting to see some of Yakumo's history and struggles.

4/5
Jan 15, 2016 4:08 PM

Dec 2013
aikaflip said:
I know that by law, as a 34-year old fan of subtle and sedately paced anime like Mushishi and Anne no Nikki, I'm supposed to love and appreciate this show, but I've been struggling with it. Every time a rakugo performance starts, my mind starts drifting really hard. I have to rewind back a couple of times, and really force myself to pay attention. I'm a visual person. I'd rather see stories rather than have them told to me.

With all that said, I liked everything else before and after the performances. It was interesting to see some of Yakumo's history.

4/5

Then I'm guilty as charged too, because we're in the same bracket and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the Rakugo is the chink in armor for me, although not grating or annoying as say...Chinese opera LOL. Perhaps if I had more intimate knowledge of Japanese culture and exposure to this art form I'd feel differently, idk. I just hope it doesn't overshadow the character work, which is the big draw for me, otherwise I can see otakus prematurely slapping a "boring" label on this something quick - part of the reason this strikes me as a very ballsy production. Hyouge Mono was too, although I don't forsee this series being on anywhere near the same level.
Jan 15, 2016 4:10 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Sukeroku is the man....I knew that I was going to love him but his personality exceeded my expectations

Seeing how he and Yakumo met was quite special and I feel so bad for him considering that his parents abandoned him and he became slightly crippled so his dream of being a dancer was dead and likewise with Sukeroku being an orphan as well - Hearing how he got into Rakugo in the first place was heartwarming though and his first performance as a kid was great

Still his dynamic and friendship with Sukeroku is just great and I love how he can always find happiness and a reason to smile and laugh around him....They're pretty much brothers and I love their relationship with each other

Can't wait to see what happens next because it looks like Yakumo is going to have a lot of development coming since he sucks at Rakugo and doesn't even like it but until then I'm gonna enjoy seeing yet again another great performance by Sukeroku :D

Their master is alright too
TokoyaJan 15, 2016 9:27 PM
Jan 15, 2016 4:19 PM

Apr 2012
It's very confusing how you all keep calling Bon "Yakumo" because (Yurakutei) Yakumo is their master's honorific stage name. At least call him future Yakumo, or Kikuhiko. (and Sukeroku's name is Shin, his stage name Hatsutarou while we're at it)

Anyway the story telling of this episode reminded me of Oshin's drama. First performances where a bit cringy but we've dealt with the whole childhood in a single episode so things will be getting even more interesting now.
EratiKJan 15, 2016 4:28 PM
Jan 15, 2016 5:32 PM

Aug 2009
Good stuff, really enjoyed Sukeroku's performance.

Love the jazzy OST and the ED theme is so chill, has a really nice nostalgic feeling for when times were simpler. I miss the ED from the last ep though D:

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 15, 2016 5:58 PM

Dec 2014
Sukeroku's performance had me laughing. Voice acting was great, being able to convey the restrained tone of Kikuhiko's performance to make me feel a little negatively about it increased the immersiveness of the show. That episode felt like 10 minutes; solid 5/5.
I need sleep.
Jan 15, 2016 5:59 PM

Nov 2012
stand said:
Zura's Yakumo's seiyuu is killing it, between sounding older/younger and sounding more dull than the rest.

this is to my opinion but Ishida Akira is definitely an amazing seiyuu! i've listened to a lot of his drama cds and enjoyed them but his role as Yakumo really got me into him! it made me happy to see someone praise him (:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2016 6:11 PM
Sep 2013
LOL I'm getting confused with their names now but haha I'll adapt XD
But damn, flashback so early? Is it going to continue being like this? I don't really mind because it was really enjoyable :3

So both Yakumo and Sukeroku have pretty sad pasts... :( But damn the voice acting is out of the world...I felt like I was part of the audience too, because yeah, Yakumo's rakugo wasn't too bad but felt a little bit...dull...but I was chuckling at Sukeroku's rakugo ^_^

Episode flew by too fast <3
Jan 15, 2016 6:53 PM

Jun 2013
that was interesting
Jan 15, 2016 6:55 PM

Apr 2015
The main two characters' performances were pretty captivating, although I started to guiltily wander off with Kikuhiko's near the end. Looking forward to see what their differences will lead them to.
Jan 15, 2016 8:10 PM

Dec 2009
This anime is effing good yo. Really enjoying it. Felt like it's 50min of watching again, although it's just only 24min long this time.
Jan 15, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode with interesting backstory. Classic
Jan 15, 2016 9:20 PM

Jan 2012
Very interesting flashback, though seeing it next week too I'm wondering how long it'll last. It's somewhat ironic seeing events unfold as they did considering the future, with Yakumo being the one to initially fail.
Jan 15, 2016 10:00 PM

Jul 2010
These episodes go by so fast, even the first one with the 47mins it felt quick, guess I'm just that engaged with the story and characters.
Jan 15, 2016 10:32 PM

Aug 2012
When do you see a backstory be dropped in so suddenly like that, yet fit so perfectly with the storytelling structure/pacing and narrative?? And don't get me started on Yakumo and Sukeroku's respective rakugo performances, they just flawlessly explained, matched, and lead into everything the first episode taught us about their characters. Whod'a thunk rakugo would be such a damn perfect way to express character journeys..I just love every bit of this, everything just works perfectly.
Jan 16, 2016 2:03 AM

Aug 2014
the difference between yakumo's rakugo this episode and the last one really shows. his rakugo this episode was boring and i was feeling so much second hand embarrassment for him while sukeroku's rakugo made everything better. both really drive the difference between them home.

VanishingKira said:
One,two,three,four,five,six,seven,eight...mister what time is it?
Oh,it's four.
Five,six,seven,eight...Hey,mister, what time is it?
Oh,it's four.
Five,six,seven,eight...mister show mercy already!

that part was the best.

from the pv, next episode would still be in the past, and i think the woman might be konatsu's mum.
Jan 16, 2016 4:31 AM

Jan 2015
This felt like 5 minutes. seriously.

So...how many flashback episodes there will be?
Jan 16, 2016 5:06 AM

Jun 2014
Damn, didn't know Yakumo had walking problems. Konatsu's dad nailing it with the performance brings a positive reaction to Yakumo. Nice character development there.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 16, 2016 5:06 AM

Apr 2012
Xenocrisi said:
If the title is any clue (lovers suicide in Shouwa), probably a lot.
Jan 16, 2016 5:54 AM

Sep 2010
where is the protagonist!
Jan 16, 2016 6:03 AM

Nov 2014
Gymkata said:
Then I'm guilty as charged too, because we're in the same bracket and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the Rakugo is the chink in armor for me, although not grating or annoying as say...Chinese opera LOL. Perhaps if I had more intimate knowledge of Japanese culture and exposure to this art form I'd feel differently, idk. I just hope it doesn't overshadow the character work, which is the big draw for me, otherwise I can see otakus prematurely slapping a "boring" label on this something quick - part of the reason this strikes me as a very ballsy production. Hyouge Mono was too, although I don't forsee this series being on anywhere near the same level.

To fully appreciate the rakugo, we probably have to dial down our minds and be super relaxed.

Thankfully the josei genre tag scared off most of the people who would have complained about everything being "boring." If I start hating this show myself, which likely won't happen, I'll just stop posting in these discussion threads.
Jan 16, 2016 6:21 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nice performance by Sukeroku, he puts more enthusiasm into his performance than Yakumo at that time.
Jan 16, 2016 6:29 AM

Sep 2014
FANTASTIC episode! I loved this. The rakugo part isn't boring at all. I quite enjoy it, even tho I don't find it funny.
Jan 16, 2016 9:54 AM

Jan 2014
I never doubted this anime for a second! Among the best shows this season, this series definitely stands out. If DEEN manages to pull this off to the end, I will forgive them for everything wrong they've done.

And I don't really care for this but the seiyuu work is downright amazing! Makes me want to question all the VA work done in other shows. I might start critiquing it, lol.

Brilliant episode! Cannot wait for next week!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2016 11:07 AM

May 2013
This anime is beautiful,glad i picked it up
Lead me out of the dark,bishounen space Jesus.
Jan 16, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Xenocrisi said:

Pretty much this.
Jan 16, 2016 1:42 PM
Jul 2015
Farabeuf said:
Gymkata said:

The sad bit is that it will probably have pitiful sales. Nothing here for the otaku to chew on.

Highest ranked Winter non sequel series on amazon so far.
Jan 16, 2016 2:02 PM
Sep 2013
Dab1za9 said:
Farabeuf said:

Highest ranked Winter non sequel series on amazon so far.

yeah The author is former bl mangaka and original manga has stronger bl flavor than anime
BL is core of otaku culture as much as moe/LN
Jan 16, 2016 6:53 PM

Sep 2015
That kid seemed kinda annoying at first but then became an inspiration as he got older :')

These characters are great x)
Jan 16, 2016 8:04 PM

Nov 2013
I appreciate the show's very frank depiction of the rakugo performances thus far. However, there's very little to keep the audience's attention in terms of visuals, because we're pretty much just listening to a person on stage constantly talking to himself for minutes at a time. It definitely takes a certain amount of patience to sit through a performance without your mind wandering elsewhere. Luckily they've nailed the presentation of the rakugo performances, as can be seen in the voice acting and camera work. Another show would have probably animated scenes to go along with the comedic monologues, but we're clearly not going to see any of that here.

Honestly, this anime shouldn't have been made, seeing as it's targeted toward such a niche audience. But I'm glad it exists and I can't wait to see how everything plays out.
Jan 17, 2016 4:04 AM

Jan 2015
EratiK said:
Xenocrisi said:
If the title is any clue (lovers suicide in Shouwa), probably a lot.

Aw, I wanted to see more about the prisoner. He made me love the anime, his personality is 👌
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.