Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2016 1:03 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just checked CR (Crunchyroll) and several other sites and they all branded it as episode 1. Airing date confirmed for today as the episode title itself states it.

Kinda unusual considering the length being 45+ minutes. I think the show has a nice tone to it though with the josei style.

Relationship content wise, it's interesting to see the realism combined with comedy. Kyoji is not a pro or anything yet but it's really fun watching him speak to the audience and the way he interacts with them. Definitely good dialogue usage for the series so far. Possible dark horse of the Winter.
Stark700Jan 8, 2016 1:40 PM
Jan 8, 2016 1:40 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty good I guess. Loving the pacing and dialogues in this anime. Is it doing what Owarimonogatari did, by having a 1 hour first episode, or are all episodes going to be this long?

4/5

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
...Huh? It was a joke right?
ArdanazJan 10, 2016 10:44 AM
Jan 8, 2016 1:53 PM

Feb 2011
That was actually really good. It's... comfortable.
Jan 8, 2016 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
It was one long episode.

It was good so far!
Jan 8, 2016 2:25 PM

Sep 2013
Wow i really didn't expect that,never heard of the Rakugo before and watching an anime about that waspretty weird at the start(kinda like Chihayafuru)but wow this was really funny and exciting,can't wait to see the next episode
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 8, 2016 2:33 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Best first episode this season so far. A lot of interesting seeds have been sown that make me think this will develop a couple of very dramatic storylines.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 8, 2016 2:47 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Man, I never thought Rakugo could be this fun. Despite being a complete rookie, Yotaro's performance was great and in some ways better than Yukamo's at the end, which wasn't too impressive, evidently. I cracked up when he went "I've got three sick wives and a starving kid at home..." when playing the anxious burglar role.

The drama aspects are also being handled in a mellow manner. There's the "accidental" death of Sukeroku and Yukamo's slight discontent towards his style, which is the persistent cause of the rift between Konatsu and Yukamo.

For a moment, I thought Yukamo would take the insult too severely, but good to see him actually acting his age as a mature man and giving Yotaro further guidance. In the short screentime she was granted, Konatsu too, proved to be an excellent side character.

Promising start. Sure, this show may contain a great deal of dialogues which can be boring to some people, but if they're engaging enough (similar to a favorite series of mine), I'm down!

Jan 8, 2016 2:48 PM

Sep 2010
Will this have 45min for every Episode or just the first?
Jan 8, 2016 2:52 PM

Apr 2011
Great first episode. This and Erased are my top for this season.

Whole scene of Yotaro and his rakugo was pretty damn amazing. Tomokazu Seki was perfect.

A very promising start and If the PVs are any evidence we are in for a good ride.

sibbo7 said:
Will this have 45min for every Episode or just the first?

Only first episode.
Jan 8, 2016 2:58 PM
Mar 2012
I enjoyed it WAY more than I expected!! :o
I wonder what really happened at that 'accident' hmm
Jan 8, 2016 3:02 PM

May 2014
I'm really, really feeling this one.

It's also nice to have a rakugo show more within the bounds of realism compared to Joshiraku, not that there was anything bad with Joshiraku at all.
Jan 8, 2016 3:13 PM
Jul 2014
Yeah that was great, probably my favorite first episode so far of the Winter season.

I'm not even familiar with rakugo but that long scene with Yotaro was really interesting to watch.

Was a nice surprise having a double length episode as well though I'm guessing the rest will be normal length.
Jan 8, 2016 3:16 PM

Jan 2012
Hmmm don't think it's my cup of tea... I was half watching it and half reading a fic... a bit hard to do both since it's mostly reading for both ^^"
Will probably one more episode at least
Jan 8, 2016 3:37 PM

Jan 2012
Surprisingly enjoyable. I really like it.

On another note:
These people smoke more than smoker...
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Jan 8, 2016 3:46 PM

Apr 2014
Interesting, very very interesting. And fun at the same time. Am looking forward to more episodes, pretty confident it's the best pilot episode this season.
Jan 8, 2016 3:47 PM
May 2015
The main character was different than I thought he'd be but I still like him. I didn't feel like it was 45 min long probably because I was so immersed with it.
Jan 8, 2016 3:49 PM

Apr 2013
really good

this is a series where i really wish i spoke japanese because watching and listening to that rakugo performance must be quiet difference if you understand it. i can still appreciate the voice acting but just not the same.

characters are pretty interesting. and this series probably won't be for everyone, hell i don't even know if it will be for me but i enjoyed it alot, very unique.

happinessdelight said:
The main character was different than I thought he'd be but I still like him. I didn't feel like it was 45 min long probably because I was so immersed with it.

^also this.

didn't even notice the time fly by and that it was a double length episode
xSanoxJan 8, 2016 3:54 PM
Jan 8, 2016 3:55 PM

Oct 2014
This was sooo good. So mature, refreshing and comic. Loved it!

So, this episode is a recap ot the two OVA's released last year? (since each one has 39 min, according to MAL, and the episode was 47 minutes long)

(http://myanimelist.net/anime/25801/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu:_Yotarou_Hourou-hen)
Jan 8, 2016 3:59 PM

Jan 2013
By far best anime of the year, since I saw the art and the summary I knew that this one would be good and didn't left me disappointed.

Sad that this was the only one with more than 40 minutes. The time flew fast and only checked at the mark of 35 minutes.
Jan 8, 2016 4:24 PM

Jan 2008
Yes! An anime about Rakugo!
I enjoyed this first episode a lot. Looking forward to the next one.
Jan 8, 2016 4:26 PM

Oct 2012
I actually thought I watched the wrong episode because the first 30 minutes was the same as the first OVA.
I really enjoyed it though.
Jan 8, 2016 4:51 PM
Jul 2014
Still can't believe that DEEN was in charge; typically their shows look quite plain with forgettable designs but, everything looked timely and rich with that "rustic" feeling. The atmosphere reminds me a lot of House of Five Leaves or Kids on the Slope.

I haven't heard Tomokazu Seki lately in newer shows but, he hasn't lost his touch! From the first appearance all the way to his last routine, Yotarou had this strong presence that was neither annoying or overbearing.

Judging by the PV, we might see more of Ishida's character as a younger man hopefully.
So glad I gave this a chance; what a surprise!!
Jan 8, 2016 4:52 PM

Jun 2014
Wow, this was an amazing first episode! Definitely another contender for AOTS! I didn't even know what Rakugo was before this, but it is actually very interesting. Very mature and refreshing feeling to this!

I love the characters, the unique storyline, and the dialogue. The storytelling in both the main story and the rakugo is amazing.

Yotaro is a very eager apprentice and I think he doing his best to learn the techniques.

The art style fits rather well and the combination of drama and comedy fit well together.

Definitely a keeper!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 8, 2016 4:54 PM

Apr 2012
I really like it actually. Lovable characters, beautiful style, and interesting story. Can't wait for the next episode. ^^
Jan 8, 2016 4:57 PM

Aug 2015
Man oh man. This was great, I was not expecting much but this surprised me a lot. Great episode, love the characters as well. Can't wait for next episode.
Jan 8, 2016 5:21 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
That was a great first episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 8, 2016 5:31 PM

Jan 2012
Well I did enjoy this quite a bit, but I do hope Konatsu is able to perform somehow eventually. I'd be mighty disappointed if her only role remains support for Yotaro.
Jan 8, 2016 5:36 PM

Oct 2013
ropiel said:
Wow i really didn't expect that,never heard of the Rakugo before and watching an anime about that waspretty weird at the start(kinda like Chihayafuru)but wow this was really funny and exciting,can't wait to see the next episode

I feel the same and I love that type of anime :)
Jan 8, 2016 5:44 PM

Oct 2011
Surprised at the length of the episode, really enjoyed every minute of it. captivating characters and im glad to see more anime about japanese culture, only rakugo anime ive heard of was Joshiraku, which was great im just glad to see a more serious side of it! Looking forward to more

Forum icon by Yandere

Jan 8, 2016 5:51 PM

Nov 2007
FYI, it's "director's cut" ver. of both episodes of OVA aired on first week of the broadcast (PV2 clearly indicates so), and this "episode 1" is for that. So if you have already watched the OVA, you can set as "watched" without watching it. I'm aware that it "starts on January 8 (or 9), 2016", but it's that. The new content for the series starts next week (that's why I initially submitted as it starts January 15 (or 16), 2016.

OP aired as ED. 26:40 next.
tsubasaloverJan 8, 2016 6:17 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 8, 2016 6:00 PM

Nov 2014
I was kind of taken aback by the lack of tropes. It was so different from the typical anime, which is a good thing.

The characters are nicely fleshed out. I like their personalities and backstories.

Yotarou's first performance was longer than I was ready for. It made me fidgety. Note to self: Be relaxed and ready to listen before watching the next episode.

Great art style and ED.

4/5
Jan 8, 2016 6:02 PM

Aug 2014
I'm really glad I picked this to watch. It was the best 1st episode of the season till now, for me.

Let's see if Yotarou can keep his promises and I want to see more of Konatsu too.
Jan 8, 2016 6:07 PM
Aug 2011
This just blew everything else out of the water for me personally. It's my fav of the season by far <3.
Which i'm glad because I was hoping it would be.

I really do appreciate anime that explores something unique.
Especially about things like that that I sorely lack knowledge about/exposure to.
I love this seiyuu cast too.

happinessdelight said:
The main character was different than I thought he'd be but I still like him.

Right? He's more quirky than I thought he would be. His smile is so goofy.

Lucasloco91's post killed me on the inside.

standJan 8, 2016 6:24 PM
Jan 8, 2016 6:18 PM

Apr 2015
Yotaro's a refreshing character. He lacks in experience, but he's hardworking and passionate. His rakugo was also fun to see. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 8, 2016 6:28 PM
ざわ・・ ざわ・・

Oct 2012
best episode of the season
Jan 8, 2016 6:29 PM

Sep 2014
This is definitely unique. Near the start, I didn't think I was really into this. However, once it got to the part when Yotaro started preforming I couldn't help but laugh at some parts. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this, I've never seen anything like it.
Jan 8, 2016 6:49 PM
May 2013
im glad I give most shows a chance, this and erased seem to the strongest new shows this season

and alot more that look interesting to come
Jan 8, 2016 7:07 PM

Oct 2015
Not the usual thing I watch, but I'm willing to try new things. I don't like or dislike it much at the moment, super long episode though. The actual story aside, some of the facial expressions just made me laugh. Those U like smiles were so weird, not bad weird but just.... Weird.

Jan 8, 2016 7:14 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Man I freaking loved every bit of this

This series was one of my top 10 most anticipated of the season so I was very happy to see how enjoyable and unique it was like I was hoping it would be considering that it's a Josei series

Even though this is the first time I'm ever seeing Rakugo, I must say that it's a pretty enjoyable thing once you get used to it....Basically its a one man comedy/story telling show which I kinda wasn't expecting and the fact that this first episode spent so much time on it was something special

The characters and the interactions are what I liked the most though because every interaction between them all was great and I like the personalities of the main trio so much that I fell in love....But at the same time I am very curious to find out about what happened in the past and this whole history aspect of their life because it has me very engrosed in the story

I can already see that we're gonna be in for some great laughs, drama, character development, clash of ideologies, interactions, dialogue and tragedy and just maybe some romance on the side so I can't wait to see this flashback play out

All in all this is definitely in my top 5 of the season and I'm rooting for Yotaro and Konatsu so hard because they're both just really entertaining and interesting characters that bring such a breath of fresh air to the atmosphere of the series and their dynamic together just makes it that much better, so I hope that they both can learn and take on the mantle left by their mentors
TokoyaJan 8, 2016 8:06 PM
Jan 8, 2016 7:20 PM
Jun 2015
I had a feeling I was gonna like this. Kinda gave me a bit of a Saraiya Goyou vibe, mainly with the character designs. I definitely see this going under a lot of people's radar this season.
Jan 8, 2016 7:24 PM
Nov 2014
Surprisingly very good!!

• great dialogue
  • lovable characters
  • interesting/unique setting

I think this might end up to be one of my favorites of the season!
Jan 8, 2016 7:40 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow that was quite intriguing. Definitely have not known about rakugo before, but color me interested. Also, Ishida Akira is perfect.

Although it was only for a bit, but I appreciate the attention to details during Yotaro's act for his aniki. He was so into it that he was steaming and also sweating through his clothes (legs). Love the mellow atmosphere, as expected from a josei. The characterization was great as well. I'm liking the main cast a lot, especially Yakumo. Character interactions felt natural while the relationships are quite interesting. I'm excited to learn about Yakumo and Sukeroku's past, given what Yakumo said about the three promises he wanted Yotaro to make.
tingyJan 8, 2016 7:44 PM
Jan 8, 2016 7:46 PM

Jul 2010
Soo glad the show i hyped the most this for this season lived up to the hype.
That was so damn good.Great characters, really atmospher-ish OST, great voice actors, and the most important - interesting story.Also, i had no idea i would actually enjoy rakugo part so much.It felt like i'm there with them.
Along with Boku Dake, this is the best start this season.
Jan 8, 2016 7:47 PM

Dec 2012
The first half was very entertaining and fascinating, the second not so much. But I guess it was necessary for the story to move forward. 4/5
Jan 8, 2016 8:19 PM

May 2015
This was really interesting, if a bit boring at times. It seems very interesting to have an anime set in the late 60s/early 70s since we don't have a lot of those and the subject is very interesting as well. Looking forward to where this one goes.
Jan 8, 2016 8:26 PM

Jan 2014
That was BRILLIANT.

There's nothing to hate about this, at all! When I first saw the visual, I already knew this was going to take the cake and guess what? IT DID.

Looking forward to more of this. Based fucking DEEN (There, I said it!).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2016 8:28 PM

Feb 2014
This is a surprise. The art style used in this is pretty unique, but the setting takes place during the Showa period (I guess) doesn't really make it appealing. But I got really interested in the rakugo (old-styled stand up comedy I guess).

After watching this, I re-read the synopsis and noticed that woman cannot perform rakugo. This will make the series more interesting when Konatsu break that rule and finally gets to perform her own rakugo.
Jan 8, 2016 8:40 PM

Oct 2014
That was... Surprisingly well done.
Didn't know anything about this besides that it's about rakugo, it really captured that mature josei feel and last few minutes where splendid.

Yotarou, Komatsu and Yakumo.. very unique characters in their own ways, so far story wise is good Yotarou aspiring to become like a great story teller like Yakumo, Komatsu.. as a woman story telling is not an available career, her late father on the other hand was a great story teller. According to Yakumo, Sukeroku was his other half.. As said in the last minutes, Yakumo wants Yotarou to fullfill Komatsu's fathers role and create his own rakugo. Now i'll just hope for some romance between the boy and the girl.. aaaand I cannot wait until next episode!
Jan 8, 2016 8:51 PM

Jun 2013
reminds me of chihayafuru except without the "sport action"
Jan 8, 2016 8:57 PM

Jan 2015
The show I've been anticipating the most this season is off to a great start! didn't know about Rakugo, but the stories are very nice to hear. the characters are charming.

and oh the Josei feel, how I love it. if every episode had 48 minutes I wouldn't complain at all. :)

next episode please *-*
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2016

110 by itsagibbousmoon »»
Dec 21, 2023 7:15 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.