Forum Settings
Forums
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Mar 3, 2016 3:44 PM

Interview with aikaflip

Interview conducted and edited by SnugglyWhuggly

Tell us more about yourself.

I'm a bisexual Buddhist. I like reading textbooks, and going for evening walks.

An older cousin introduced me to my first anime, the extremely graphic Ninja Scroll, back in 1995. I was 13 or 14 at the time. He showed it to me as a joke to shock me, which it did, but it also sparked an interest in other titles. I've been watching anime on and off since then.

I went to an art college in Chicago where I majored in media arts. During the day I work for a multimedia company. I have a small social circle that I sometimes meet with on the weekends.

Give us a brief history of your time on MAL. Which sections of MAL are you the most active on?

I joined in 2014 after a breakup. I figured I could heal my emotional wounds with some cartoons. This worked out surprisingly well.

I'm mostly active in Recommendations, Anime Discussion, and Casual Discussion. I like introducing people to obscure anime and manga, and sharing observations on politics and animation.

How do you think the MAL community sees you? How do you feel about that?

This isn't something that I've thought about.

What do you feel about the board you use the most? What do you feel about the community in general?

I have mixed feelings about the community here, but my feelings overall are positive.

How do you feel about how the site is run? Especially in regards to the moderators and admins.

Generally pretty well. Perhaps the rules against threads that don't facilitate discussion are a little strict. These are fun threads sometimes. Maybe there could be a separate area for them.

Regarding the aesthetic changes, I've liked all of them so far.

Any users you like? Why?

I don't like ranking good people. I appreciate everyone who I've had cordial talks with.

Any users you dislike? Why?

The ones who make shitty gender and race war/comparison threads. Many of them claim to be 'anti-SJW', but they whine and troll just like an 'SJW.'

Editor's note: Agree with you whole heartedly on this one.

What are some MAL members you consider the most influential? You're not allowed to include yourself.

If by influential you mean thought-provoking or agreeable, there are many here who fall into that category. To name a few off the top of my head in no particular order: @Shocked, @Tien, @Caelidesu, @SnugglyWhuggly, @romagia, @WeirdHeather, @HaXXspetten.

Is there a MAL member you would want to take on a date or get to know better? Who and why?

This is a dating site now?

Do you see yourself leaving MAL in the near future? Why?

I doubt it. Visiting here has become apart of my weekly routine. I might visit the site less if I run out of anime to watch. If you know of any titles that I might like, let me know.

Can you recommend us 3 members who we can choose from to interview next and briefly explain why you would love to read their interviews?

@vigorousjammer, @8oomer, @Gymkata because they’re interesting people who’d probably give interesting interviews.

Any feedback on the interview format?

Maybe there could have been more questions about anime or manga, but overall it’s fine.

Any shameless self-promotions? Perhaps you want more publicity for your club, or a suggestion for the community to see?

Everyone should watch my top 10 favorite anime.

Does being older than a lot of the general MAL community make you feel "alienated" in any way?

Not really. I'm not as mature as I try to present myself on and off line, and I get along with several people here.

What's the main appeal of Mardock Scramble for you?

The vivid art and stunning animation. And it doesn’t give a shit.

One thing that irks me about a lot of anime is how restrained they are. Many romance titles lack actual romance; too many ecchi anime only do one kind of fanservice—giant boobs; and so on. Mardock Scramble is listed as a psychological sci-fi, and it delivers a large heaping of this doused in blood, explosions, and eggs.

Have you "gotten any shit" for your Texhnolyze review?

Haha, plenty, from personal attacks saying I'm a shitty writer, to people trying to explain why I'm wrong and how it’s a masterpiece. I thought I was actually pretty fair in my review. Despite absolutely hating that anime, I still gave it a 5 rating for intelligently exploring some transhumanist concepts. I didn't knee-jerk rate it on personal enjoyment alone.

Thus concludes the interview. Thanks for reading!
Modified by SnugglyWhuggly, Apr 28, 2016 9:28 AM

"If ever you fall, I'll be there"- Floor

"I have a dream: a dream that, one day,
chickens can cross roads without
having their motives questioned."
- Chicken rights activist

"I love Matt! 💗." - Me

Mar 3, 2016 3:58 PM

I think we got a Dandere here XD.

Mar 3, 2016 4:15 PM

iyaaaa i got mentioned by aika-senpai

Mar 3, 2016 4:16 PM

Hibbington said:

Haha, I know my replies aren't that long, but I like keeping things concise because my OCD kicks in kinda hard when dealing with long paragraphs. I start nitpicking the hell out of every word.

Mar 3, 2016 4:20 PM

aikaflip said:
Hibbington said:

Haha, I know my replies aren't that long, but I like keeping things concise because my OCD kicks in kinda hard when dealing with long paragraphs. I start nitpicking the hell out of every word.

ohh well...
You probably wouldn't want to read my posts.
I even been known to write paragraphs on even skype XD.

Mar 3, 2016 5:00 PM

@Aikaflip

Evening walks are nice.
Do you like sunsets?

Mar 3, 2016 5:20 PM

Coolspot said:
@Aikaflip

Evening walks are nice.
Do you like sunsets?

I adore sunsets. One of the negatives of downtown Chicago is that the buildings usually block the sunsets. In Indiana, which is about 40 minutes south of Chicago, evening and early morning walks are much nicer because there's less stuff blocking the horizon.

Mar 3, 2016 5:23 PM

For all the shit I give your review, it's not wrong by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it's pretty much spot on. In any case, I appreciate the fact that we get diverse opinions from reviews like yours, even if I'm not privy to them.

Mar 3, 2016 8:34 PM
Forum Moderator
Top Aidoru ♪

Given your harsh criticisms on Texhnolyze, I'm surprised it still got away with a 5/10 in your eyes. But yup, short and sweet interview. As a side note, I'm curious about your Wordpress blog. What got you to start writing in it? Is there any particular group of anime fans you hope to reach out to, whether if it's to get ideas from or to give information to?

Mar 3, 2016 11:20 PM
Hug Addict <3

Texhnolyze is the epitome of awkwardness

A cuddle a day keeps the pouting away~
Hit me up if you want someone to flirt with for a bit ^^
"Holding hands is just the first step to getting pregnant"

Mar 4, 2016 2:17 AM

Fireemblemike14 would be sad if he heard this.

insert cool edgy lines
shameless self promote
lame poet and quote

Mar 4, 2016 10:30 AM

Zergneedsfood said:
For all the shit I give your review, it's not wrong by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, it's pretty much spot on. In any case, I appreciate the fact that we get diverse opinions from reviews like yours, even if I'm not privy to them.

It's all good.

Shocked said:
Given your harsh criticisms on Texhnolyze, I'm surprised it still got away with a 5/10 in your eyes. But yup, short and sweet interview. As a side note, I'm curious about your Wordpress blog. What got you to start writing in it? Is there any particular group of anime fans you hope to reach out to, whether if it's to get ideas from or to give information to?

Thanks. I wasn't initially sure how to rate Texhnolyze. The first 2/3 of it made me want to punch myself in the face, but I thought the last 1/3 was some of the most compelling anime I'd seen. I figured a 5 rating would be a fair compromise.

I started the WordPress mainly to host my anime reviews and blogs after I was hit here by a downvoting raid last year. I haven't posted much lately because I've been in the mood to just enjoy anime rather than deconstruct them. I think I might be turning into a "filthy casual." Given my age and taste, my favorite anime this season should be Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, but I've been enjoying a nonsensical slice of life about candy more. Oh well.

May 31, 2016 7:08 PM

"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.

Aug 13, 2016 8:30 AM

Lmao. Ask me anything and I'll probably answer it. I'm not really the kind of person who volunteers a lot of information about myself. It has to be drawn out of me.

Aug 14, 2016 11:19 PM

aikaflip said:

Lmao. Ask me anything and I'll probably answer it. I'm not really the kind of person who volunteers a lot of information about myself. It has to be drawn out of me.
who is aika, and why do you keep flipping her
"The blood makes us human, makes us more than human, makes us human no more." -Master Willem from Bloodborne.

Oct 26, 2016 10:57 PM

ExTemplar said:
aikaflip said:

who is aika, and why do you keep flipping her

I put about two seconds of thought into my username. I was in a hurry to complete a registration page, and had to come up with something. The name itself is an inside joke (now an outside joke) in reference to an obscure ecchi anime called Agent Aika, which I don't recommend because it's pure trash. In this show, the heroine does a lot of kicking and flipping.