Content that might be considered offensive or too sexually explicit for the wide range of age groups on MAL's user base. This includes, but is not limited to: erotic, excessively violent, bigoted and harmful content.
- Erotic: Intimate body parts include nipples, areola, genitalia, and butt cracks. These must be covered by normal-sized clothing/swimsuits (e.g. not bandaids, strings, etc.) and must not be visible through clothing (e.g. cameltoe). Sexual acts, implied sexual acts, and body fluids are also not allowed. This includes ahegao.
- Violent: Gore, disembowelment, dismemberment, torture.
- Bigoted: Irrationally hateful content aimed at, or relating to, any group or individual.
- Harmful: Seizure images.
Note that constantly trying to push the boundaries of the NSFM rules with borderline images may result in warnings/bans and the need to get mod approval before using new images in the signature/profile areas. If you are unsure whether an image is acceptable or not, please ask a forum moderator before using it.
- Content without any purpose, coherency or relevance whatsoever.
- Off-topic posts that derail a thread from its original topic.
- Chatting with other users. Please use your profiles, PMs, or our IRC channel for this purpose.
- Reaction images/videos and other images with no relevance to the discussion.
- Quote-chaining (with or without +1/I agree/this/yes/lol/ type comments).
- Bypassing the minimum character requirement for posts.
Starting arguments or upsetting users by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the intent of provoking users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. (Source: Wikipedia
An insult is a derogatory remark that labels an individual or group of users. Name-calling is not productive and typically derails the topic by turning the discussion to the credibility of the user(s). It never convinces the other party and often provokes a similar reaction from other posters. The resulting commotion is ineffective for the offender, offensive for the target, distracting for spectators and tiring for moderators.
Posting content with the intent to attract visitors to another location, either an external site or another location on MAL.
Intentionally posting as another user or staff member by copying their signature, avatar, profile picture and/or choosing a username that may be confused for another.
Any remark, comment, summary, or description of a series that reveals plot elements which will give away the outcome of an episode within the series or the conclusion of the entire series. (Source: Wikipedia
These threads discuss topics limited to an individual's experience and are unlikely to promote new thought or ideas. They do not expire and new posts may be added to the original discussion.
E.g.: What is your favorite xxx? What is the best/worst xxx? What was your first xxx?
These threads contain topics larger than oneself and may promote new thoughts or ideas. If the possibility of unique discussion exists and the last post of the existing thread is more than one month old, the thread may be created anew.