Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 3, 2014 2:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah it was a tense episode, not for Eiirchiro though.

We get to see a real professional in action. I find it somewhat funny of the way Eiirchiro studies him though. I think someday, maybe he can reach the pro leagues. Natsu also looked cute this episode imo.
Aug 3, 2014 4:15 AM

Aug 2008
No, they can't end it here! I wanted to watch their match so badly! >.<
Aug 3, 2014 4:25 AM

Oct 2013
It was nice to see the divide between pro's and newbs. I actually admire the courage it took for him to ask his parents to go pro. I liked the pseudo date as well. Nat chan looking cute as always.

The match next week should have some interesting results.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Aug 3, 2014 4:38 AM

Jul 2010
It was like a date with Natsu ^^
The aura around the pro match with Soji.
To get approved for a year on tennis onthe condition to beat the All Japqn Junior!!! To best that and go pro.
STC fully supports him.
A practise match with Soji!!!
Aug 3, 2014 5:27 AM

Dec 2011
I just hope this anime get a green-lit for a season 2....great episode and i like how they add scene to prepare the presentation for his parent.
Natsu looks really cute in that dress and Takuma got piss knowing Ei-chan and Natsu alone together to go see Souji match
Aug 3, 2014 5:44 AM

Jun 2013
Eiirchiro is really ready to go pro, seeing Souji in a real professional match was a good experience for Eiirchiro and next episode he is going up against him.
Aug 3, 2014 5:52 AM

Nov 2013
This series is so great, really glad they made a big deal out of getting his parents support of him going pro, it really is a big deal and probably did need most of an episode dedicated to it.

Looking forward to Maruo getting smashed next week :D
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Aug 3, 2014 6:35 AM

May 2013
Too bad Ike lost in the second round. Did pretty well for his pro debut. A real match between him and Eiichiro next episode.
Aug 3, 2014 7:06 AM

Jun 2012
I hope they get through at least one set before his staff come back.
Aug 3, 2014 7:06 AM

Aug 2010
Awesome ep :D

That "date" was nice ^^ Nacchan is adorable as usual <3

Loved how he convinced his parents logically :D His dad is awesome and his mom is tsun XD

Lol'd at how they were jelly when they knew Ei-chan went alone with Nacchan XD

Time for Ei-chan to see the difference between himself and a pro XD

Nxt ep...The training from hell begins :) Really hope they can make a S2 or extend like Diamond no Ace
Aug 3, 2014 10:19 AM

Dec 2011
A pretty good episode and it was nice seeing how a pro match really is (well in the anime since I've watched a ton in real life lol), oh, and Natsu was really cute this episode.
StefanMZAug 3, 2014 10:37 AM
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Aug 3, 2014 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
That little date was pretty nice.

Lol at everyone's reactions after hearing the date between Eiichiro and Takasaki.
Aug 3, 2014 12:26 PM

Mar 2012
Something that every male anime character has in his room: *trollface*

Let's see what Ei-chan is able to do against Ike Souji!

Good episode.
Aug 3, 2014 12:58 PM

Jun 2014
Ei-Chan's gonna play Ike :O
I feel like Ike has an idea of what path "Note-Boy" is taking :p, seems too interested in him !

This show's perfect damn :D
Aug 3, 2014 1:13 PM

Jan 2011
kaitonic said:
I just hope this anime get a green-lit for a season 2....great episode and i like how they add scene to prepare the presentation for his parent.
Natsu looks really cute in that dress and Takuma got piss knowing Ei-chan and Natsu alone together to go see Souji match

Since this is an NHK show the chances are excellent that we'll see a continuation of this series at some point. I believe that they are alternating Log Horizon and Baby Steps in the time slot. The great thing about NHK shows is that they are not totally dependent upon the BD sales or other merchandising to justify production of sequels. The decision to produce is based more on the merits of the show itself and whether it fits in with the mission of a public broadcasting system (don't expect a lot of gore, edgy plots, or ecchi moments).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 3, 2014 1:16 PM

Oct 2013
rodac said:
kaitonic said:

Since this is an NHK show the chances are excellent that we'll see a continuation of this series at some point. I believe that they are alternating Log Horizon and Baby Steps in the time slot. The great thing about NHK shows is that they are not totally dependent upon the BD sales or other merchandising to justify production of sequels. The decision to produce is based more on the merits of the show itself.

Considering I like this show so much this is reassuring to some degree. I hope they do in fact make another season at some point.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Aug 3, 2014 2:23 PM

Apr 2014
I love his parents' dynamic. They're so cute.

Ike's VA is perfect and I'm lol-ing at that whole thing from Ike spotting Nacchan to Takuma "taking it out back" rotfl. The backgrounds when Ike hugged Natsu (clouds and a foreign skyline) to Natsu pushing him away (the iconic Japanese symbol of a wave) was a bit of subtlety too -- Ike has forgotten Japanese propriety juuuust a bit.

It's so great seeing this manga getting adapted. It's only uphill from here! Please do it, NHK~ ♡
Aug 3, 2014 2:26 PM
Jan 2014
I wish the episode didn't end at the best part. I think Souji has a liking to Eiichirou, as a tennis player of course. I wonder how their match will play out.
Aug 3, 2014 2:28 PM

Jun 2014
I think the conversation between Eiichirou and his parents about going pro was fucking hilarious.
Aug 3, 2014 4:46 PM
May 2014
This was a really great episode, lots of stuff happened and I get chills a bunch of times. I'm guessing 'master' will give him some suggestions on what he should do in the year's time. I'm thinking some time skip too.
Aug 3, 2014 7:36 PM

Aug 2013
Oh wow normal anime parents :D

I'm so glad Souji's a nice person...and doesn't seem like a threat to EichanxNatchan ship :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 4, 2014 2:09 AM

Sep 2008
I will be one sad human being if this doesn't get 2nd season. I'm loving it so far.

I don't expect he'll take more than a point from Souji. I could be wrong, this series continues to surprise me. In pleasant ways too.
Aug 4, 2014 6:15 AM

May 2012
I really like how Eichan presented his career plan to his parents (with print outs! haaha) although it was really hilarious. Hoping for season 2 announcement sooner since I really like this series so far.
Aug 4, 2014 11:18 AM

Feb 2012
He's put a lot of time and effort on tennis when he started. I still don't know his true motive about going pro. Play against strong players, money, study, fun?
Aug 4, 2014 3:19 PM

Jul 2010
His dad is awesome. And I'm really looking forward to see an official match between Ei-chan and Souji.

It's almost done the show though, I'm really sad about this. If nothing will be announced before the end I'll start the manga.
Aug 5, 2014 1:38 AM

Jul 2013
I concur, this anime is too good to stop at 25 episodes. Story-wise this is by far the best sports anime I've watched in a long time. I hope they don't rush this thing and stop just before the All-Japan Junior Tournament, which should be reserved for 2nd season.
Aug 5, 2014 11:55 AM
Nov 2008
MoeGod said:
I concur, this anime is too good to stop at 25 episodes. Story-wise this is by far the best sports anime I've watched in a long time. I hope they don't rush this thing and stop just before the All-Japan Junior Tournament, which should be reserved for 2nd season.

And it's too bad that NHK can't use an high budget for these series ( well, at least Log Horizon was fine ) because it doesn't give justice to the series.

Really, I'm not a fan of sport series but Baby Steps is one of my favourite series ever, any time I start reading some chapters of the manga I end up reading whole volumes...
Aug 5, 2014 1:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Gotta love Ei-chan's parents! I like how his father is realistic about Ei-chan's plan for the future, and allows him the one year to just focus mainly on tennis. Well that and Ei-chan did a great job showing his parents how serious he is about it and the research that he's done. Reminds me of Hachiken :)

Lol when Ike said that he has to get permission from his manager, coach, and doctor. Definitely pro. Darn, can't believe they left at such a cliffhanger =.=
Aug 5, 2014 3:24 PM

Mar 2012
Man, Ei-chan showed a lot of guts to tell his parents that he was serious about going pro. I love his resolve and how much planned everything out to convince his parents. Now that he's completely dedicated to tennis for this year, it's time he reaches even higher levels! :D

And of course the episode would end right before Ei-chan and Ike play. >.> Cliffhangers too OP for me.
Aug 5, 2014 3:51 PM

Oct 2013
Ei-chan's goin pro? Seems legit.
Aug 5, 2014 7:36 PM

Jul 2012
wtf the MAL score is only a 7 something?!?!? are you joking me

god bless this show. after watching lots of prince of tennis, and then watching this one, it really stands out as the stronger tennis anime.

this was a really strong episode overall, with that whole parents confrontation and just everything about it was executed really well! :) i found it very relatable (im a musician not a tennis pro tho) and realistic.

although this show will end when summer's over, i feel like they can probably end it at a good spot if there's absolutely no chance of a season 2. probably some kind of epilogue would be fine. this show doesn't need that many matches like prince of tennis anyway.
Aug 6, 2014 4:49 AM

Nov 2010
Eiichiro taking notes from the pc screen while could have just pressed the print out button like Kageyama said was just hilarious
His determination to go pro by convincing their parents and coach Miura with a presentation was great to see

The last part of Souji showing up with his pro entourage was overwhelming just as his practise match against against Ei chan probably
Aug 6, 2014 11:13 AM

Jul 2011
Mallony said:
He's put a lot of time and effort on tennis when he started. I still don't know his true motive about going pro. Play against strong players, money, study, fun?

Turning a passion into work. He's basically obsessed with tennis right now and can't imagine his life without it. And he's good at it. With his potential, he believes he could go pro and therefore has decided to dedicate his full time to the sport.

I love the way he talked to his parents. Printouts are perfect - shows that he has the conviction and the PLAN to do what he wants. And he's being reasonable by saying he'll give up going pro if he fails. He's thought it through and it really makes me respect him. He's logical, hard-working, realistic and honest. :)
Even against Ike (the preview), he's not focused on winning. He knows it's impossible at this point, so he wants to earn experience and learn as much as he can from this match.

Shame it's ending this season. I would love to see more of this. I knew it would be good from the summary. I hate reading on-going series, but I might pick up the manga just because I want to see where he ends up. Character improvement series like these are my favorites!!
Aug 6, 2014 3:58 PM

Jan 2013
Are there any other sports anime with episodes like this. Where the main character is making the transition to try to aim for pro in a realistic fashion.
Aug 7, 2014 7:30 PM

Apr 2013
Not much to say that hasn't already been said, but I loved this episode
Aug 9, 2014 2:05 AM

Aug 2009
Mirorin said:
Mallony said:

Turning a passion into work. He's basically obsessed with tennis right now and can't imagine his life without it. And he's good at it. With his potential, he believes he could go pro and therefore has decided to dedicate his full time to the sport.

I love the way he talked to his parents. Printouts are perfect - shows that he has the conviction and the PLAN to do what he wants. And he's being reasonable by saying he'll give up going pro if he fails. He's thought it through and it really makes me respect him. He's logical, hard-working, realistic and honest. :)
Even against Ike (the preview), he's not focused on winning. He knows it's impossible at this point, so he wants to earn experience and learn as much as he can from this match.

Shame it's ending this season. I would love to see more of this. I knew it would be good from the summary. I hate reading on-going series, but I might pick up the manga just because I want to see where he ends up. Character improvement series like these are my favorites!!

All of this!

Aug 10, 2014 9:56 PM

Jul 2012
RediceRyan said:
Are there any other sports anime with episodes like this. Where the main character is making the transition to try to aim for pro in a realistic fashion.

Bump! I want one too. Please.
Nov 4, 2014 10:34 AM

Sep 2011
Daaateee<3

Wish it was longer though.

Thay being said, the next episode should be freaking awesome!
Nov 20, 2014 12:16 AM

Sep 2014
I want to keep watching, but I hate watching these super-long matches...
Feb 7, 2015 3:21 PM

Jun 2014
Those are some large tennis balls that he's signing.

Men can make convincing dog faces too !!

Mar 8, 2015 6:25 AM

Oct 2014
Eiichiro going pro, damn fun to see!

Also great to see more of Souji. Wonder how their match will turn out to be.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 2, 2016 2:29 AM

Aug 2013
The serious talk was nice.
The date was cute as well.. a little short though.
omaigard things are really getting exciting.
Mar 19, 2016 8:55 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Ei-kun's mother already saying he's going to lose in that 1 year she gave him to go pro. At least the dad has faith in Ei-kun. She reminded me so much of Chi-Chi from DBZ.

The date was funny. Nat-chan running around like crazy and then getting lost.

Jul 31, 2016 5:48 PM

Jun 2010
What a ballsy move, taking a year mainly just to pursue his goal. So excited for him now

maybe cause I can relate as well (tho im not a tennis player)

Go Ei-chan! GO PRO you can do it
Jan 13, 2018 11:20 PM

Jun 2016
The meeting with Maruo's parents was adorable and really nice. This anime may be fast paced but it has a real strong grasp on competitive mindset, and improvement. What a realistic scene!

We also got more development with Maruo and Natsu! They're both at the starting line to going pro, and their little date was really cute. The way she ran around like a little kid especially. Seeing how she wanted to catch up to Soji so badly and how she blushed when he hugged her, I hope she doesn't like him like that. I did find Takuma and Maruo's double shocked expression when it happened pretty enjoyable though. And even if she does, she's been clearly shown to like Maruo too and even more so, so I'm not too scared.

Maruo has backing from STC, a plan, and a year to practice. I'm so excited for him. I can't wait to see what he's capable of. Knowing the manga goes further than the anime, I wonder if the all junior is next season, and if he goes pro after the anime ends... But, that's just speculation, I could be totally wrong. And please don't reply telling me if I'm right or not, I'm just letting a prediction float here.
Feb 17, 2019 11:02 PM

Aug 2017
Parents shouldn't have let him play so much tennis.

Why does the world revolve around the MC? MC is overpowered too.

Would like more harem action with the glasses girl. And more dates with both girls.
Mar 19, 2019 8:09 AM
Apr 2016
Ei-chan finally made up his mind, he's going to try going pro! Convincing his parents was hard, to be precise convincing his MOM. Damn, Ei-chan is going to play a match against a real pro.
Aug 29, 2019 7:20 AM

Mar 2010
Giving a Powerpoint presentation to parents would have been even funnier.
Nov 24, 2020 6:47 AM

Jul 2017
Lots of good stuff in this episode, from the Natsu-Maruo 'date' to see Ike in the Japan Open alone together, to Maruo's 'presentation' to convincing his parents to let him focus solely on tennis for one year to prepare for the All-Japan Junior tournament, to Maruo finally joining Court A and going to have a practice match with a genuine pro in Ike.

Pretty eventful overall and this feels like the beginning of a new era in Maruo's life, which makes it exciting. Maruo's dad was really chill, allowing him to pursue his dreams while trying to convince his wife to allow Maruo a chance. Natsu and Maruo also looked nice together when roaming around before and after the Ike match, nice to see both of them have clearer minds on why they want to become pros in the first place.
Mar 22, 2022 11:13 AM

Jul 2021
Heh I like how Eiirchiro is analysing real professionals because in the end, it's easier for them to play out with their tactics.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.