Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, is that going to be like a date next time? Anyways, a pretty relaxing episode except the training bits. Anyways, I'm curious to see how they will wrap it up.

Eiirchou needs to work harder if he wants to get stronger! I kinda like the new coach though. He has both tennis and some life advice.
Stark700Sep 14, 2014 3:27 AM
Sep 14, 2014 3:32 AM

Jan 2011
Aoi has appeared, so things will start to get really interesting quite quickly. Ei-chan and Natsu are about to have their first real date--that was a really cute outfit she changed into, so obviously she wants the date to be a success. Only one episode left in this season, so I do hope we get an announcement about a second season to come. If you're curious about what happens, read the manga, we're probably less than a third of the way through the ongoing story at this point and there are many great arcs, tournaments, and games to come (plus more than a touch of romance).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 14, 2014 4:44 AM

Nov 2013
Huh. Final episode going to be a date? Didn't see that coming. Hope the episode serves to further their relationship rather than be a typical blushing and stumbling forgettable episode. Hopefully it will since Baby Steps doesn't seem to beat around the bush.

New coach brought in too, I'm guessing he got injured from overworking or something so it's good news that he's brought in for Maruo :D

I'm going to be really sad if this doesn't get a season two, there's lot of series out there which got one which really didn't deserve one lol. I don't know how well the manga is selling but by god the budget this show got was terrible. Baby Steps deserves a lot better than being butchered by Studio Pierrot. Here's to hoping though;
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 14, 2014 4:46 AM

Dec 2011
Well they introduce Aoi near the end...anyway Natsu looks so cute for that date and i guess final episode will be on that date and a foreshadow for next season if they do made a season 2.Can't wait for that date,it was really enjoyable in the manga and we can hear how good E-chan is when he sings.
kaitonicSep 14, 2014 4:50 AM
Sep 14, 2014 6:16 AM

May 2012
Well this is rather unfortunate for me. I was not expecting this series to end on a cliffhanger because I never looked into the manga.

This has been one of my unexpected favorites for the past couple seasons, and easily my favorite sports series. I've kept up to date with it constantly and really enjoyed the execution.

I can only hope the budget is mustered for a second season to be announced or my dreams are crushed. Regardless, it's been a great ride to watch this series, and the unorthodox pacing was a breath of fresh air for me. The romance has been developed subtly and slowly and remained true to the plot; something I don't see often in modern anime. I very much enjoyed the fact that romance played as an undertone to the series while Ei-chan's tennis remained the focus. It was great to watch a series convey and develop its plot perfectly without the fan service and cliche we're all so accustomed to.

Maybe coach Aoi telling Ei-chan to 'focus on what he wanted instead of what he needed' was a hint that there will be more focus on the relationship now instead of tennis. Nat-chan is what attracted Ei-chan's attention to tennis in the first place afterall. But, who knows?
BayrockSep 14, 2014 6:36 AM
Sep 14, 2014 6:52 AM

Nov 2013
Bayrock said:

Maybe coach Aoi telling Ei-chan to 'focus on what he wanted instead of what he needed' was a hint that there will be more focus on the relationship now instead of tennis. Nat-chan is what attracted Ei-chan's attention to tennis in the first place afterall. But, who knows?

That's a nice little pick up, hopefully it comes to fruition :D

Usually I feel that romance detracts from the series which is heavily involved on something like a sport, but the way Baby Steps flows I'd love for the romantic subplot to come more into the light.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 14, 2014 6:55 AM

Aug 2013
A nice episode,relaxing.

The new coach knows what he is doing,don't overwork yourself Maruo.

The best part was the end with Natsu and Maruo ready for a date(be greatfull to your best friend :p),a nice romance going on.I wonder if Maruo will donfess..
Sep 14, 2014 7:04 AM

Mar 2008
Kageyama came off as a real bro until he revealed he had selfish motivations. Still, a welcome wingman for Eiichiro.

Here's to hoping for that second season.
Sep 14, 2014 7:09 AM

Aug 2008
Toriumi Kousuke as Aoi coach<3

GOOD JOB KAGEYAMA! I read that part in the manga, so date next episode! What's the point for the mangaka to supervise the final episode then? I mean, in the news, they said "Katsuki is collaborating on the creation of episodes with original stories not told in the manga"...

Anyway, I liked this episode!
Sep 14, 2014 7:09 AM
Jan 2014
I honestly wouldn't mind the low budget, if it follows the fate of other NHK anime series. I can't wait for the second season announcement. Apart from the quality control, it was mostly a faithful adaptation AFAIK. Only if it got picked up by a different studio, even with the lower quality more quantity NHK anime series, it still would've been better than having it done by Pierrot.

I really enjoyed the anime, got me interested in reading the manga too. I liked the pacing and execution. Aoi looked like a pretty interesting character from the start. I'm glad that he's going to coach Eiichirou for the time being. Because he was starting to overstrain himself with tennis. Kageyama brought up a solid point with the entry exams.

He's acting like a real bro, even if he just wants to get hooked with Sasaki. It's nice to have a break from intensive tennis matches and focus more on the romance element. Though I hope there is some actual progress between the two.
ResidentSep 14, 2014 7:13 AM
Sep 14, 2014 7:20 AM

Aug 2014
Low budget aside, the good point is that they are faithfully following the manga, so the viewers get attracted by the amazing story and character development. Looking forward to the sweet date =)

Goddammit NHK announce a second season next week, it'll be SO MUCH BETTER than the first!
Sep 14, 2014 7:52 AM

Jul 2010
Nat-chan winning the tournament.
The new hand-picked coach that works well with Ei-chan's seriousness!
Kageyama setting up the two to be together. What a good wingman ^^
Good thing Ei-chan followed-up and a date begins! That ulterior motive though xD
Maybe Ei-chan can't treat it as going to watch tennis together with Nat-chan all dressed up!
Sep 14, 2014 8:00 AM

Jul 2010
Interesting that they introduced his new coach one episode before the end. I hope there is a 2nd season in the works to take us through the all-Japan tourney. From what I can tell, the manga hasn't gone much beyond that yet. Though it is past it, even if the translations are still at mid tourney.

I remember this section of the manga quite fondly. I wish they had gotten to

Oh well... It has been a fun series. I hope the manga sales warrant another season.
Sep 14, 2014 8:53 AM
Jul 2012
Vexper said:
Huh. Final episode going to be a date? Didn't see that coming. Hope the episode serves to further their relationship rather than be a typical blushing and stumbling forgettable episode. Hopefully it will since Baby Steps doesn't seem to beat around the bush.

New coach brought in too, I'm guessing he got injured from overworking or something so it's good news that he's brought in for Maruo :D

I'm going to be really sad if this doesn't get a season two, there's lot of series out there which got one which really didn't deserve one lol. I don't know how well the manga is selling but by god the budget this show got was terrible. Baby Steps deserves a lot better than being butchered by Studio Pierrot. Here's to hoping though;
It wasn't really butchered. The manga was better but I'm grateful all of the cast fits the roles perfectly as well as the animation seems to be following the manga minus a few skippings.
Sep 14, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2010
Kageyama for best bro!
Ganbare Eiichiro with Nat chan!

Aoi coach does a good job with minimum effort
Sep 14, 2014 10:27 AM

Sep 2012
This anime is so good! I wanna a second season, things become more intense from now on
Sep 14, 2014 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
Natsu win the tournament.

Eiichirou got a new coach named Aoi.
Sep 14, 2014 12:19 PM
May 2014
I freaking love this show, it's just so good. Good tennis, a feel good story so far, little bit of romance.
Sep 14, 2014 1:27 PM

Aug 2010
Kageyama for best wingman :D What a bro! ^^

I can't wait for Ei-chanxNacchan date :3 It was cute in the manga so should be a fun last ep >.< And Nacchan was so cute in her outfit <3

Props to Eichiro for asking her out :D Direct to the point! Awesome MC ^^

And nice seeing Aoi. His voice wasn't what I expected ^^; I thought he'd be more like Mutta from Uchuu Kyoudai.

Is there really no S2 announced yet D:
Sep 14, 2014 1:29 PM

Mar 2012
I'd really like to see their romance go ahead

Awesome episode as always.

Doublea said:
I freaking love this show, it's just so good. Good tennis, a feel good story so far, little bit of romance.

Agreed.
Sep 14, 2014 1:42 PM

Jul 2009
b1GZZ said:
I'd really like to see their romance go ahead

Agreed, the manga focus too much in E-Chan evolution and forgets sometimes their personal life but that's what makes Baby Steps really good.
Sep 14, 2014 3:50 PM
Jul 2013
#Kageyama2014

Nice episode, can't wait for the last episode. Also, there is no S2 announced :/
Sep 14, 2014 3:52 PM

May 2012
I like the new coach! He looks shady and unorganized but good point having Eichan rest. And thumbs up to Eichan's bestfriend Kageyama! Hehe. Season 2 pls!!
Sep 14, 2014 3:58 PM

Jun 2014
I really love this series. I'll be waiting for a season 2 + the romance is finally kicking in, I guess. xD
:3
Sep 14, 2014 6:41 PM

Apr 2014
Good as usual!

I'm surprised -- looks like the last episode with be pretty much canon. Thought there would be more anime-original stuff introduced, but unless there's an anime-original ending, I guess that's not happening. Signs of a Season 2...? :D
Sep 14, 2014 6:42 PM

Aug 2013
I think this is the first time I'll be seeing a date as a season finale. I'm not complaining. Ei-chan x Nat-chan MUST happen.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 14, 2014 7:14 PM
Aug 2011
Dude definitely looks like Mutta.
Sep 14, 2014 9:02 PM

Jul 2011
parfaited said:

Yes, yes I thought so too!

Ehh. But I still don't like Natsu... ah, w/e. Ei-chan embarrassed is too cute to pass up. XD
Sep 14, 2014 9:39 PM

Jan 2013
But the romance is just starting, the anime can't end next episode.
Sep 14, 2014 9:43 PM

Mar 2012
Alas, one more episode left. This was a very enjoyable ride and I definitely hope to see a second season (hopefully with a greater budget than this one).

Natsu and Ei-chan data to cap off this season, huh? Definitely wasn't expecting that, but I also am perfectly fine with that too. :D Here's to hope for some relationship progression!
Sep 14, 2014 10:11 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow they introduce Aoi now? Seems kind of late to introduce a new character in terms of storytelling, but it kind of gives me hope that they'll just do a cliffhanger ending and therefore a possibility of having a second season. Though I think I read somewhere that they've prepared an anime original ending? :/ Really hope not, or if it is, I hope that the ending will still allow for season two to occur.

Ahh Ei-chan and Nacchan~ Hopefully Ei-chan learns to differentiate between what he wants to do versus what he needs to do next episode. Seems like he is still struggling with the training that Aoi is putting him through. I like coach Aoi precisely because he comes up with training that seems unconventional to the normal. A perfect coach for Ei-chan :)
Sep 15, 2014 1:53 AM

Dec 2011
That Nakajo girl was rather cute... new future girlfriend for Ei-chan the player B|

Ah, Ei-chan's working as hard as ever to become stronger and eventually become a pro.

So that shady guy was actually a former pro tennis player and their future coach lol.

ROOSTER HAIRCUT LOOOOL, I really wasn't the only one to find Ei-chna's haircut freaking weird XD.

Hahaha, Kageyama just set those two up for a date XD.

Natsu looked really cute in those clothes :3
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Sep 15, 2014 3:22 AM

Jul 2013
Oh damn, I didn't expect them to end at this point. Lots of cliffhanger coming, even the date lol..

I just can't see how they'd end this without announcing a 2nd season, especially with coach Aoi being introduced this late and
Sep 15, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2012
Last episode is a date?! Nice way to end the series! Really need a second season.
Sep 15, 2014 4:13 PM

Oct 2013
Lol Kageyama, I know why you want Ei-chan and Nat-chan to get together. Yay their technically second date if you consider that international tennis tournament outing to be the first
Sep 15, 2014 4:53 PM

Jul 2012
parfaited said:

Haha, that's what I thought, too! I really miss Space Brothers....

Anyways, pretty laidback ep. I'm surprised that the final episode will be their date! Really hoping for a second season announcement! This easily became one of my favorite anime from the summer lineup.
Sep 15, 2014 6:53 PM

Sep 2011
That girl got crushed really hard by Takasaki after those matchpoints, that was fast! Didn't even need to worry about that.
I like what that coach is doing, even if he needs lots of practice that badly, Maruo needs to have somehing else in his life, And now, the last episode, is centered around those two... All thanks to the broski, Kageyama!! (well, he had his reasons, but that's okay xD)
Sep 16, 2014 3:46 PM

Jul 2012
yes kageyama. best wingman

damn why doesnt this show have more episodes. it's really doing well balancing the tennis, practice, romance, school and everything but it'll end next week :S

otp btw. so cute

atsumu said:
parfaited said:

Haha, that's what I thought, too! I really miss Space Brothers....

SAME. But his voice is completely different lol

Kurini said:
Toriumi Kousuke as Aoi coach<3

ahhh i knew it! :D
Sep 17, 2014 11:31 AM
Jul 2013
The_ClownPrince said:
A nice episode,relaxing.

The new coach knows what he is doing,don't overwork yourself Maruo.

The best part was the end with Natsu and Maruo ready for a date(be greatfull to your best friend :p),a nice romance going on.I wonder if Maruo will donfess..

I dont think he'll confess because that part is later on in the manga
Sep 17, 2014 7:30 PM

Jun 2012
Last episode romance teases make me heated.
Sep 20, 2014 1:51 AM

Mar 2010
rodac said:
we're probably less than a third of the way through the ongoing story at this point and there are many great arcs, tournaments, and games to come (plus more than a touch of romance).

Thank goodness!
Sep 20, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2012
So Ei-chans at risk of tearing a muscle.
Nov 5, 2014 12:33 AM

Sep 2011
I face palm every time Sasaki sighs.

That being said, the romance is finally kicking in! Goddammit why so late!?
Feb 11, 2015 1:02 PM

Jun 2014
when Ei-chan was running laps, I was like is that guy Isaya, camera zooms in *sees the facial hair* nvm.

Apr 25, 2015 6:34 PM

Jul 2014
that outfit *jaw drops* I'm rooting for you ei-chan
Mar 2, 2016 7:26 AM

Aug 2013
Ohhhh a date.. what a splendid last episode.
Freaking confess already Ei-chan.. he's a damn chicken LOL.
Apr 17, 2016 9:29 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Maruo reminds me so much of Goku from DBZ, those two really define training non stop.

Here we have Maruo running laps late at night and with a sprained lower back.
Gotta agree, Kageyama is a real bro. Maruo it's time you tell Nat-chan how you feel. Feel a bit bad for Sasaki because she's always had her eyes on Maruo but I guess Kageyama can bring a smile to her face.

Apr 3, 2017 3:50 PM
Sep 2009
About damn time someone told him to rest!
Jan 30, 2018 11:15 AM

Jun 2016
I think Araya causally starting a conversation with Maruo is a sign that he's recognized his skill even more so than before. The fact they fit in so well showed the serious lack of divide between them.

Ide turning his opponents fangirls into his own was pretty charming.

The entire episode, or at least the not Natsu parts, was about not trying too hard and actually enjoying yourself quite clearly. And I think Maruo, someone who nearly only acts as if life is a job, is someone who will benefit from this greatly. Aoi will almost definitely teach him to be himself, to know what he desires, and to chase those. He'll probably also give him more of a backbone and a willingness to express himself. What a great experience for Maruo, I can't wait to see his development!

I predict that Aoi was just like Maruo, someone who worked his way into the professional field but sported an injury that made him retire. That being said, he seems a bit completely the opposite of that so maybe I'm wrong. I also wonder if he's a NEET right now, unkempt, borrowing money from Miura, I would be surprised if he was working a job before this.

Who would have guessed the series would end with a date episode and most likely a confession. How cute. Oh, also, Kageyama is the ultimate bro. Like, I don't think I've ever seen a best friend character that's as much of a homie as Kageyama.
Mar 16, 2018 12:01 PM

Dec 2014
Liking Aoi already, he's the kinda people I like. Do what you want. xD

KAGEYAMAAA!! A true bro indeed, he deserves praise for everything he does.

Natsu was so adorable in her outfit at the end. <3
Lelouch0202Mar 16, 2018 12:48 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2014

143 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.