Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Love is still in the air.

However, it seems the pressure of going to the Nationals is starting to take hold on the club. Another buildup episode. It's cool that the club is preparing for themselves. Seeing Satowa bow down on her knees was kinda tough to watch though.

Oct 26, 2019 9:30 AM

Nov 2007
The song NamiDai's character chose was the song that caused the Koto expert no longer to stay. She also needed to go back to borrow a 17-string koto. Their family are not welcoming her, and so dark.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 26, 2019 10:12 AM

Apr 2010
Houzuki going far for her club.
Still i have to say that old lady has a really bad personality, first of all meddling with a family problem that is not her own.
And then the way she spoke towards Houzuki it's clear she just want to put mother and daughter agains't each other and she has been doing it for a long time.

It seems Houzuki's mother still has some feelings left for her daughter tho so there might still be hope.
Oct 26, 2019 11:04 AM

Apr 2016
Oh look another female character that seems like a total bitch. I almost forgot how this show introduce important characters.

I already can't stand both of them.
Oct 26, 2019 11:18 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode.

Hozuki letting the club use the song that's filled with her own dreadful memories for not being able to reach her mom, going back to the house she was exiled from just to ask for an extra 17 string Koto even going so far as to beg for it is just very compelling and endearing to watch. You can tell how much the club means to her now and how much she wants to play with everyone despite her prodigious talent. She's definitely my favorite character in this show.

Glad to see Suzuka-chan taking the initiative behind the scenes, he cares more for the club than he likes to let on. :)

Akira was finally introduced. I'm interested in people's impressions of her and the end of the series, Hozuki's Mom too for that matter.
Oct 26, 2019 11:20 AM
Sep 2015
It's interesting that her 'Whiplash' moment in the past made both positive and negative reception to many people.
Oct 26, 2019 11:42 AM

Aug 2013
Akira's grandmother is a total bitch. She's so annoying.

I'm looking forward to the club's performance.

Oct 26, 2019 11:49 AM

Feb 2019
That dojima old lady pissed me off. Who the fuck needs permission to talk their own mom? Hozuki should've just told that bitch to fuck off.
Well that hiro's hug saved the episode for me.
Oct 26, 2019 12:01 PM
May 2017
Akira seems interesting. Can't wait to see more of her. I hate her grandmom though. She's a total bootlicker
Oct 26, 2019 12:08 PM

Feb 2011
Show can be pretty good when they actually put some effort into keeping characters on model.
Oct 26, 2019 12:11 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm for Houzuki Koto can be said to have had a large impact on her life not all of it good. Being talented unfortunately is not always a good thing though as it creates jealousy and distance. While having an effective team is important having an excellent composer is equally so. Despite his nature the advisers skill at arranging music really is top notch. Rather than simply live in apprentices to me it seems Dojima is a snake thats scheming to take the school. Akira though looks to be an interesting character. Overall a calm ep that focused on showing the kind of pain that Houzuki's talent created in the form of the excommunication from her family and the rift that separates her from her mother. While it was somewhat sad seeing the state of the relationship between the two it also shows the depth of her determination to not only break through her mothers hardened heart with skill at koto but also her desire to not repeat her past isolation and instead enjoy playing koto with her dear friends.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2019 12:36 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I love the chararacters of this show big time.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Oct 26, 2019 12:54 PM

May 2018
Oh, the mistreatment of Hozuki's own household, that Obasama and Akira were basically a duo of bitches.
Oct 26, 2019 2:23 PM

Nov 2016
Lelouch0202 said:
Fantastic episode.

Hozuki letting the club use the song that's filled with her own dreadful memories for not being able to reach her mom, going back to the house she was exiled from just to ask for an extra 17 string Koto even going so far as to beg for it is just very compelling and endearing to watch. You can tell how much the club means to her now and how much she wants to play with everyone despite her prodigious talent. She's definitely my favorite character in this show.

Oh yeah. I love devoted and selfless characters like her. Taking her development into account, it's even more admirable, she definitely deserved that hug to say the least.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 26, 2019 2:40 PM

Nov 2008
Here is a piece that Hozuki started playing if anyone is interested by Mateo Antig - 天泣
https://soundcloud.com/mateo-antig/2ff3vsfaydyu

The episode was great. This anime brings such strong emotions of joy and sadness everytime.
Oct 26, 2019 4:29 PM

Sep 2011
Houzuki tried desperately to reach her mother back then, but she was in so much pain that she didn't even get close to conveying what she felt, and then they grew apart from each other. It seems we are going to get to know more about this Akira in the next episode, but she is bad news if her expressions and what she said are anything to go by. And her grandmother is insufferable. They are "occupying" Houzuki's place, while acting as if they are so much better than her, and the old woman didn't stop running her mouth.

The dogeza hurt a bit too, but I guess it showed her resolve. She shouldn't have to go through that just to talk to her mother, and ask a simple favor, but I guess that's how bad things are between them right now. At least she won't give up until conveying what she wants to. Takinami-sensei was really cool too, staying up all night to prepare that piece for them, and choosing precisely that one. It's also nice that things are okay between Houzuki and Kudou again, and that he was the one who made her listen to her own performance, and want to play it again. Oh, and Kurusu's self-imposed rules about her feelings for Takezou are pretty sensible.
Oct 26, 2019 4:41 PM

Mar 2018
So Hiro was put on hold for now huh
Lots of Houzuki focus this episode. She sure got over her trauma quickly ngl

Feels like the whole houzuki school is broken and twisted to the core damn..

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 26, 2019 5:07 PM

Jul 2016
Oh boy, another new character that looks like she will be a total bitch. Seriously, some of these people really need to pay a visit to a psychologist.

So Satowa only had to listen to her presentation again in order to understand why her emotions didn't reach her awful mother? Uh... well, at least that gloomy attitude of hers in the beginning of the episode didn't last long. All thanks to Chika saving the situation once again.
Oct 26, 2019 6:10 PM

Nov 2011
Hozuki taking a huge step going to borrow a 17 string from her mom. That scene left me stressful. My love for Hozuki grows every week.

Can we talk about Sensei though??? I hated him in the beginning but he has taken a sharp turn into being one of the best characters in this anime. He's freaking awesome.

I liked Kudo's determination to want to play the 17 string. And Hozukis reaction to hearing him pluck that first string was adorable.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Oct 26, 2019 8:36 PM

Aug 2018
I like how good so far the character development in this season, we slowly seeing how each character change compare to last season. The story getting more interesting.Also, I love how this anime balanced its drama, romance and comedy aspect in each ep.

Btw here some lovely Kurusu expressions

and Satowa's beautiful face

Lastly the squad trolling satowa xD

B O C C H I  S W E E P
Oct 26, 2019 11:12 PM
Jul 2018
damn her grandmom's edginess cracks me so hard XD
Oct 27, 2019 1:30 AM

Oct 2008
Look at that eyes of Akira, she is someone who has an extreme grudge against Satowa!
Trash mom is trash absolutely!
4/5.

Oct 27, 2019 2:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was some heartrending episode for Satowa in particular!

Accepting the choice of music plus going back to her family house for begging a 17-string koto, god this is selfless to an extreme imo. Good thing Chika and Kurusu were there for her in turns though to help her overcome this hurdle.

Looks like Kurusu’s still lovestruck as ever, how adorable. Of course those three golden rules won’t avail but I’m looking forward to seeing how that goes nonetheless! I doubt we’ll get a wrap-up on this by next week, the Nationals have taken utmost priority after all.

Interesting, I wonder what role Akira will play in the coming episodes. Got to say, that’s some vicious daze from her though, what’s that about? I hope we don’t have to see that annoying Grandma of hers though.

SapphyeePH said:
 Lastly the squad trolling satowa xD

I know right, this was so sweet and hilarious at the same time. No wonder why she’s afraid of losing this group ;-;
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 27, 2019 7:34 AM

Mar 2017
Man, that scene where Hozuki goes home to ask to borrow the 17 string was heartbreaking... how can a mother ever treat their child like that? And how could she let that old woman and her granddaughter speak to her like that? Well, fuck them because Hozuki was the bigger person and didn't let them get to her!

It's amazing how different a piece of music can sound depending on the emotion you put into it is; Hozuki's competition piece was so sad and desperate but when she played the same piece during club it sounded so light and happy!
Oct 27, 2019 11:17 AM

Oct 2017
I'am loving this show, it's really easy to see it.
I still thinking that Hozuki's mother it is a totally bad mother,
I don't care if they get along well again because she doesn't deserve a daughter as Hozuki.
Even though was a fast episode to me.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Oct 27, 2019 7:56 PM
Mar 2015
Watching the dogeza and listening to her solo hurt Her mom and apprentices are true assholes
Oct 27, 2019 11:34 PM

Jan 2017
People like that old woman are the reason I have no problem saying that I don't respect my elders.

I'm willing to be courteous and polite, but if I was trying to talk to my mother regardless of where our relationship may be and some random kept interrupting (I don't even know what she was saying because I was so irritated that I looked away from the subtitles), I'm telling them to shut the fuck up whether they're 10 or 100 years old. With no hesitation.

Shout-out to Hozuki for powering through the events of this episode.
Mendokusai
Oct 28, 2019 1:33 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I feel like there are some weird jumps in the episode, but nothing too bad I guess. I'm still really enjoying the series since it's one of my favorite current running manga.

It was heartbreaking to see Hoozuki prostrate. But despite her mother acting cold, it seems like she still has a heart. Maybe she was just acting tough, like she thinks she has to be due to her position. But as we have learned from pretty much any character that you might've disliked at first in this series, there's always more to them. Which is true in real life as well, first impressions aren't always accurate.

Best moment in this episode had to be when grandma Doujima butts in, and Hoozuki replied to her that she was talking to her mother! Must've a been a nice slap to the face.
Oct 28, 2019 4:56 AM

Jan 2016
It's funny how this is nowhere near the manga's quality but still so enjoyable! That's just how good the story and characters are

If the team behind Chihayafuru had made this the score would've been between 8.70 - 9.00 (MAL). The dogeza was really well done though I'll give them that

And hate Akira's grandmother even more now that she's voiced and all
Oct 29, 2019 5:33 AM

Jul 2019
Tear-jerkingly good episode. Satowa is going through so much but she has become a incredibly strong. Strong enough to endure those snakes.

When Chika was marveling at the the 17 string I had to think of 17-string chads vs 13-string virgins
Oct 29, 2019 5:18 PM

Dec 2016
Ouch! Hozuki's mom is as cold as ice ><; That's not surprising cuz she didn't change her behavior after all this time Hozuki was in her care. Not a good feeling... Those two didn't leave a good impression neither, especially granny. This Akira girl sounds like trouble too. Didn't like one bit.

Great episode! Hozuki loves her club and that shows very well ^w^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 29, 2019 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
Akira seems mega cray. This series does have a habit of introducing female characters as mega bitches lol
Oct 29, 2019 5:44 PM

Jul 2017
Going back to the story between Hozuki and her estranged family, the set piece chosen for their upcoming Nationals is the one that started the fiasco and rift in the family. It's a tough decision no less than surpassing their current style of play. But giving it a second chance is better than not facing past hurts and fears head-on.

More and more, I love Takminami-sensei's role in all this, from the skeptical to the believer whose planning is succinct in trailblazing the club forward.

But...more trouble for Hozuki as the visit back to her former household, even to borrow the 17-string koto. As if the household isn't this shrewd enough, Hozuki's dogeza was heart-wrenching enough as an "excuse of sorts" seen by her former family. Just hoping that her renewed sound can reach her mum in the sinister plot that is the grandmother taking in a pupil-cum-rival at the same time. The same competition that shook Akira in the first place after Hozuki was thrown out of the house.
Oct 30, 2019 6:28 AM

Apr 2018
Damn things are getting tense. That old lady and her granddaughter are such an asshole. I hope Hozuki's mom will notice her soon
Oct 30, 2019 12:07 PM

Dec 2014
Admirable how she stand up to her mother like that
Nov 1, 2019 11:58 AM

May 2016
Poor girl she only wanted to see her smile again and she messed up in the progress
a big misunderstanding from both sides can be lethal.
Nov 1, 2019 3:06 PM

Apr 2016
The episode was a bit boring to be honest, the previous one was better. I think the problem is the introduction of that character, every new character has bad intentions for her or another one, it’s becoming a bit repetitive. I don’t if repetitive is the correct word to explain what I mean.
Nov 2, 2019 10:49 AM

Jun 2007
everyone calls Akira and her grandma bitches, and no one calls that Hozuki's mom? like wow Hozuki totally murdered someone to be treated like that, poor mommy, has to deal with a godawful piece of shit of a daughter, god bless her heart
wake up people this is not normal, do some research, the topic is "healthy parenting"
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jan 28, 2020 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
Ah, so Opening girl was Akira, interesting.
Jan 29, 2020 3:10 PM

Aug 2017
I want to hit those bitches.

Good episode.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 7, 2020 1:03 AM

Jul 2015
Can't wait for the moment where Satowa defeats Akira, damn that grandma of hers

May 18, 2020 8:53 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Satowa's family is really shit omg, heartbreaking end of episode
Jan 14, 2021 12:56 AM

Apr 2009
Those two currently on the side of Satowa's mom are sketchy AF. The granddaughter might be up for revenge or whatever that was.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 21, 2021 5:52 PM

Feb 2014
man... fuck that granny.

And I can already picture, Satowa's mum will show up to listen to the song that made her excommunicate her daughter and Satowa's feelings will finally reach her. Now I wonder what's up with Akira, maybe she thinks Satowa is wasting her gift.
Nov 3, 2021 6:59 AM

May 2020
Mom's being a bitch as she was, and now two more. God, this show really does care about its characters.
Jun 15, 2022 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Hozuki and Hozuki's mom should become back together.

That old woman and that Akira should be banished
Mar 14, 2:23 PM

Mar 2019
So that's Akira, seems interesting. Loved the way Houzuki stared back at Akira in that scene, it was so good.

Another good episode from Takinami as well. The opening for the song sounds nice already.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

117 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2019

142 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 5:31 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 18, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2019

43 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 5:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.