Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 21, 2019 8:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool, we got the Tokise High School club playing together. Part of their motivation is why they are here and why they want to go the Nationals. Their performance feels like a work of art with every shot focusing on different characters but all collectively together as well.

I'm impressed how far they've come tbh and even the audience is in awe.
Dec 21, 2019 8:29 AM

Nov 2007
Mother of koto girl back just in time for her daughter's school's performance. Same song different feeling and it even caught that guy, who lost interest in other school, interest. Every audience listening with awe and tears (as if koto girl's feeling then finally delivered) with their performance. Even that old lady's seeing light after the performance?!

No clap until Aoi-san's character did. It got them worried.

Everyone helping koto girl finding her mother. They finally met.

One more ep. Hugging time next?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 21, 2019 9:18 AM

Apr 2010
Nice episode and a really nice play.
I really enjoyed it.

Bot now the question is what with Hauzuki's mother say, will she reflect on what she did?
Their play was an eye opener for many in the audience, seeing the reactions was nice.
Dec 21, 2019 10:12 AM
Sep 2015
No surprised here as I expect the peace will be amazing since I heard a little bit when they practice. In fact, it seems like if our protagonists win over two rival schools, it'll be because of their music selection is better.
Dec 21, 2019 10:25 AM
Aug 2017
I cried in this episode when the club heard that her mother was there and they tried to find her
Dec 21, 2019 10:33 AM

Dec 2014
Beautiful episode, this was just phenomenal.

I was just as entranced as the audience and filled with emotion throughout the performance. Just as the sound from Satowa's starting note fills the air and so many people in the audience begin to tear up especially Satowa's mother, I teared up too. There are some things that you just can't describe but just feel so strongly for.

Love how all the little themes for each of the characters was woven into the piece itself with each of them reflecting on different things as the performance continued.

The ending to the piece was stunning as well. I loved this scene so much in the manga where there's no audio but the anime just took everything in the manga and made it better here. Huge props.

Next episode is gonna be emotional as well, I'm not ready.
Dec 21, 2019 10:34 AM
Apr 2019
10/10

What can i say... holy shit...
Dec 21, 2019 10:40 AM

Aug 2013
What a performance by Tokise. Loved it.

Satowa will finally be able to talk to her mother.

Dec 21, 2019 10:48 AM

Sep 2014
Wow. Just wow. That was really incredible.
Dec 21, 2019 10:53 AM
Jul 2019
I cried at their performance, then I cried at everyone helping Hozuki find her mom, and finally I cried at there only being one episode left.

5/5 would cry again.
Dec 21, 2019 11:01 AM

Jul 2017
Wow this episode really took the cake. Single handedly the best episode of this season so far. This season was ok beforehand but that was a stellar performance
Dec 21, 2019 11:06 AM

Oct 2017
What A MASTERPIECE of an episode!

Is it normal that a song is so good my tears come out just hearing it?
The first solo part alone makes my eyes wet, and then as the song goes on my tears drop too. The feels hit so hard, and my reaction is nearly identical with all the audience in the anime. My whole body trembles too as I listen to the performance.

Hands down best episode of the whole season of Fall 2019.
The performance, animation are all top notch and all the feeling and visual are executed flawlessly.

I am normally a pretty strict marker here, but season 2 of Koto Oto Tomare is an easy 10/10 for me.
The plot, pacing, characterization, character growth and performance are all so good.
Seams like the studio gets better as they make more episodes of this anime, since I can tell that for the performance part, the animation and visual is better executed than season 1.

Best anime of the season.

Ventus_SDec 21, 2019 11:39 AM
Dec 21, 2019 11:10 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hakuto's performance was as expected a high level one indeed. Its nice among the audience are people that the team were indebted too and were here to show their support for them after seeing all their hard work. Great source of motivation indeed especially for Houzuki given her mothers presence. The teams piece though was beautiful beyond measure. While beautiful the feelings and lessons that it managed to impart to the audience was also a powerful one. At the same time despite its complexity seeing the team endure while also having fun was nice to see. The effects that it had on the audience though sure was amusing. Overall a solid ep that managed to show grandly the result of the teams hard work during their training both physically in the form of the piece and mentally in the thoughts and feelings that each member visualised as they played. While the audience's reaction was a positive one i really can't wait to see how the results will fare next ep. At the same time im curious to see the kind of effects it had on Houzuki's mother as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2019 11:16 AM
May 2019
Tokise's sounds was amazing this episode. I really enjoyed hearing the entire version of Tenkyu and seeing the audience's reactions. I loved how they were so shook, they forgot to clap until the lights went out. Nice episode!
Dec 21, 2019 11:30 AM
Sep 2018
18 votes so far for this episode. All 5/5. (ETA: now that I've posted, its up to 26, all 5/5...)

I was wrong about the old lady. Even she was able to recognize and acknowledge what was in front of her here. So there is hope for her after all. I'll admit to being glad of that, and very glad that it was done in a manner I can believe.

So... is there such a thing as a regional koto orchestra composed of high school students? Akin to the youth orchestras here in the Pacific Northwest?
Because... I'd really like to hear one with the students from the top three schools forming the core members. That would be a thing of surpassing beauty.
A certain student instructor to lea the training...
Throw in a couple of student and teacher composers, it would be hard to find something to rival them.
Nucleus of a new koto school? Or... the reinvigorated koto school Satowa's family has?
Since it looks like this time her mum heard what she had meant to say all along.
And the old lady might be willing to accept it with her own granddaughter as assistant after hearing this performance... bunch of delinquents, really?

We still don't know just what is up with the math teacher/koto adviser/koto composer, what's going on such that he won't be involved with that school's koto club any longer. I'm glad he's still itching to compose, just hope he succeeds in finding a venue to see it performed; again, if it were possible, there's a core group who would be wiling to do so, and not just among his own students.
Dec 21, 2019 11:35 AM

Feb 2018
Goddamn what a great performance that was, they destroyed all competition lmao, they were shook af. I can't get enough of Akira congratulating them, love that genuine smile of hers.

The scene where they all went to find hozuki's mother is soo wholesome, and Akira was cute af. Finally the mother confronts Hozuki.

Results Hypee!!
Dec 21, 2019 11:47 AM
Jan 2015
I honestly looked forward to this since the moment they started practising it. I don't think a music performance has had me well up as much as this did.

Gonna sit here and listen to it over and over for a while...
Dec 21, 2019 11:59 AM

Apr 2012
OMFG, this is the third time i cried from music, first being when Eucliwood sang and second from "Your Lie in April".
This episode maked me change it from a 9 to a 10.
Dec 21, 2019 12:04 PM

Oct 2017
Xaralabos13 said:
OMFG, this is the third time i cried from music, first being when Eucliwood sang and second from "Your Lie in April".
This episode maked me change it from a 9 to a 10.

You and me both bro!
Changed from 9 -> 10 too :)

I am usually very hesitant in giving out 10, and MOST anime I watched start dropping in mark as the episode progresses since their true nature slowly reveals itself, and the early episodes' shock factors used by many anime to attract viewers lost its magic, so I can start seeing the true picture of those anime.

This anime is an exception though, it gets better and better.
It's like investing into all the buildup and all of it finally pays up. Worth it.
Dec 21, 2019 12:12 PM

Jan 2008
It's always great to see a show build up to something, pull it off and actually be good. Super glad we didn't get some 'issue' occurring right before the big event like last season and got to see them play to their fullest without anything holding them back.

Dec 21, 2019 12:24 PM
May 2017
I'm speechless. Just like the audience. That was a magnificient performance. I cried a huge amount. All through the performance I kept fearing that they were gonna mess it up somehow.I'm glad Satowa is finally gonna talk to her mom again.
Dec 21, 2019 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode, was waiting for this moment to get animated ever since I started reading the manga, impressive way of implementing their thoughts too in the whole performance. Easily the best episode as it marks the payoff of all the events before.
Dec 21, 2019 12:28 PM
Jan 2014
Nice episode.

Did already read the manga, but found in enjoyable to watch it again through the anime.

Was a bit worried about the retranscription of their performance, because the anime usually cut those parts or reduce it, but for this particular performance they put everything on it. Gladly appreciate it.

The seiyuus did a great job (and producer) for not being in the way of the performance song.

Overall the adaptation is good, I really hope this give some light to the manga which is good.
Dec 21, 2019 12:28 PM

Feb 2014
despite the plain looking art and kinda budget animation at least with the sound department (not using pros) this new studio managed to execute this episode perfectly
the transition from the chord progression to the last trill ->note to the commercial break title card was way too smooth. This show definitely has one of the best transitions to a commercial break for the music genre lol

"For the sake of humankind, I forsake my humanity." - Cherry
Dec 21, 2019 12:35 PM

Sep 2011
It was beautiful, moving, and amazing. I'm glad we got to hear the full piece, I mean, I think we did. I was totally drawn in, and I felt like crying like most of the audience. It was so good that they couldn't even react, until Mio and Yamamoto-sensei started the applauses and they got the cheer they deserved. Even Akira's grandmother clapped, and Houzuki's mother could finally face herself and her daughter. It isn't over yet since they are going to talk now, but both of them already gave big steps towards each other, and it was beautiful. I can't wait for the next episode, I also want to see Akira meeting her brother now that she finally moved on from that darkness, and I hope Yamamoto-sensei decides to keep writing pieces for Mio and his team, even if he really stops being their teacher like he decided. Even Kazusa realized just how silly she was when she pestered Kudou like that. I loved it, it was amazing.
Dec 21, 2019 1:40 PM

Jun 2007
i am easily moved by music in general, and this was... something else.. but i still remained cool of course *actually ugly cried thru the whole thing*
see you, space cowperson . . .
Dec 21, 2019 2:04 PM

Sep 2017
As expected, it was a really amazing episode !

For a moment I was afraid it would go a little "Your lie in April", like one of them would fail somewhere, it would disturb them but then they succeeded to hide this mistake, but I'm glad it was a perfect performance

I also really liked how well animated the whole koto play was, I don't know if it was accurate but it seemed to

And of course the music itself was really good too
Dec 21, 2019 2:12 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Beautiful, beautiful.

I didn't necessarily tear up the most during the piece which was gorgeous but when Satowa's mom came in at the last second and she looked up to her, that really got me.

So did Mio clapping first, loved his reaction after the last episode, it's those subtle character moments that really get me.

How do i survive the last episode?
Dec 21, 2019 2:21 PM

Aug 2014
All the build up didn't go to waste, this was the performance the show deserved. Akira's reaction is the best.
Sieg Zeon!
Dec 21, 2019 2:48 PM

Oct 2010
Made my eyes water. That was really BS tho lol. There's 0.00000000000000001% chance even one of those kids would get THAT good in such a short amount of time, no matter how much they practiced. It's just insane the accuracy needed to play like this. But it is fiction, and it was beautiful.
Dec 21, 2019 3:00 PM
Nov 2016
I just can't imagine what would happen if I heard this piece live...I am dumbfounded just by the recording...
this.was.gorgeous.
Dec 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
Their performance was fantastic, it touched the souls of everyone.
Dec 21, 2019 3:50 PM

Feb 2011
My boys absolutely killed it. Also ending the episode there should be a capital offense.
Dec 21, 2019 4:24 PM

Mar 2012
Damn these cliffhanger endings! Next week can't come soon enough. I feel bad for the Hakuto school though.
Dec 21, 2019 5:06 PM

Mar 2019
Brilliant episode!! Been waiting for that performance and it was just so beautiful to watch and listen to! Was left speechless after it.
Dec 21, 2019 5:21 PM

Oct 2009
Absolutely perfect. Finally an anime where the schools all give stellar performances at an important event like this, nobody falters, they're all together, and yet they're all different, having their own characteristics. And where the performance of the main unit plays out in its entirety, instead of being shown in a few small chunks. ... I mean, I wouldn't want to be one of the jduges there, for sure. ^^"

AND it goes further, because not only the performance itself but the little scenes before, during, and after are also done in such a way that manages to leave them somewhat understated next to the actual performance, but still funny and/or important enough to be memorable. "Weird" and always dazed Mio being stirred up enough to be the first in the entire audience not only to start clapping but to even stand up - that just cracked me up too much, and I imagine it broke the tension for others as well. Tetsu being mistaken for a tissue dispenser too. Kouta being the adorable crybaby, and then the way it transitioned into everyone dashing off to search for Hozuki's mother, with hothead Chika taking the lead (to nobody's surprise)... you think they'd be all sorts of overwhelmed, but no, they just wanted some feedback, any kind of feedback about their performance, and they're right as rain being their usual selves again. Everything done beautifully.
Dec 21, 2019 5:27 PM
Mar 2015
Great performance The manga does not do it justice The crowd was stunned It took Hokuto's ace clapping for a response. Glad she met her mom
Dec 21, 2019 5:34 PM

Sep 2011
I'm no koto expert so I can't say how well it compares to the other pieces (or if it is even meant to be compared in that way - in other words, the pieces were just played by the real life musicians without any attention to how well they were supposed to play), but the piece in this episode was fantastic.

Overall I am glad that this season focused more on improvement and the music itself than the first season. It felt like in the first season the music and drama played equal billing while in this season the drama acted to support the music. The balance was way more palatable.

Most importantly, I am glad that this season didn't just end the second the performance ended. That shit was not acceptable.
Dec 21, 2019 5:41 PM

Mar 2012
Shirasho said:
I'm no koto expert so I can't say how well it compares to the other pieces (or if it is even meant to be compared in that way - in other words, the pieces were just played by the real life musicians without any attention to how well they were supposed to play), but the piece in this episode was fantastic.

Overall I am glad that this season focused more on improvement and the music itself than the first season. It felt like in the first season the music and drama played equal billing while in this season the drama acted to support the music. The balance was way more palatable.

Most importantly, I am glad that this season didn't just end the second the performance ended. That shit was not acceptable.
I think the drama being prevalent in the first season is completely justified. After all, it's what introduces the characters and establishes their motives for even wanting to be in a koto club. After that is taken care of, then it can focus on the music they want to play like this season has dealt with. This season is 9 for em compared to a 7 for the first precisely for that reason. Now that I care about everyone and the pieces are in place, we can just focus on their sound. The storytelling has been phenomenal.
Dec 21, 2019 5:48 PM

Nov 2017
What a wonderful episode ! Easily the best of Fall 2019, and one of the best of all of 2019, if not the best. At least one of the most impactful, with both the story and the music : 5/5
This 2nd season is so good !
Dec 21, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2014
man to think there are people sleeping over this anime
Dec 21, 2019 6:47 PM

Apr 2013
That was a beautiful performance. Cried a little. I always have a weak spot for a show with beautiful instrumental music
Dec 21, 2019 8:42 PM

Nov 2011
When the writer was standing I like "Oh yeah!"
Holy crap this episode was brilliant. The music was amazing and just the feeling being put into the Koto. So good.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Dec 21, 2019 8:44 PM

Mar 2014
well damn i cried in the middle of the performance by the impression not just because of the well animated scenes but the song created by whoever the composer is. man this could be easily the finale of this season and i am very grateful that the musical performance got animated in full length.
Dec 21, 2019 9:36 PM
Nov 2019
Wow, what a performance by them :)
Dec 21, 2019 10:58 PM
Mar 2008
The best episode of the whole anime season! Yeah, not only this show but all shows included. Been months since last witnessed something this mesmerizingly beautiful in both animation and sound quality.
Dec 21, 2019 11:54 PM
Aug 2010
Seriously, the build up of the whole series to this moment was worth. And this is the best anime episode of the week, easily. Too bad not enough watch this show imo.

I love this.
Dec 22, 2019 12:18 AM

Oct 2017
Weasalopes said:
18 votes so far for this episode. All 5/5. (ETA: now that I've posted, its up to 26, all 5/5...)

I was wrong about the old lady. Even she was able to recognize and acknowledge what was in front of her here. So there is hope for her after all. I'll admit to being glad of that, and very glad that it was done in a manner I can believe.

So... is there such a thing as a regional koto orchestra composed of high school students? Akin to the youth orchestras here in the Pacific Northwest?
Because... I'd really like to hear one with the students from the top three schools forming the core members. That would be a thing of surpassing beauty.
A certain student instructor to lea the training...
Throw in a couple of student and teacher composers, it would be hard to find something to rival them.
Nucleus of a new koto school? Or... the reinvigorated koto school Satowa's family has?
Since it looks like this time her mum heard what she had meant to say all along.
And the old lady might be willing to accept it with her own granddaughter as assistant after hearing this performance... bunch of delinquents, really?

We still don't know just what is up with the math teacher/koto adviser/koto composer, what's going on such that he won't be involved with that school's koto club any longer. I'm glad he's still itching to compose, just hope he succeeds in finding a venue to see it performed; again, if it were possible, there's a core group who would be wiling to do so, and not just among his own students.

Took several screen shot.

116 votes
114 vote a 5 (98.25%)
2 vote a 4 (1.75%)

This is some phenomenal episode score in Mal standard.
Hope no troll come in to try to rigged it.
Dec 22, 2019 12:30 AM

Aug 2013
I'm really satisfied but I was looking for Chika solo play :/
Dec 22, 2019 12:44 AM
Dec 2019
Di tunggu tenkyunya di youtube
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

117 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 19, 4:34 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

49 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 18, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2019

43 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 5:14 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

61 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 16, 4:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.