Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2019 7:00 AM

Jan 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy s###

I just don't know what to say. Saw it with my friends today (Paris mk2 cinema) expecting some good Trigger action.

But omfg we got the most "trigger" thing that Trigger ever made, absolutely over-the-top animation and direction with glorious mecha vs mecha fights and punchy soundtrack.

I will for sure watch it few times more once the blu-ray will be out.

Trigger saved anime once AGAIN!
Sep 17, 2019 11:23 AM

Dec 2008
Movie was "meh" at best, but the music great. Lots of TTGL references. Trigger couldn't save anime again.
Sep 17, 2019 6:40 PM

Aug 2017
Man fuck originality that's irrelevant in this day & age, this was fun.

They don't make a lot of movies as action packed as this nowadays, an enjoyable romp.

Also heh didn't expect Galo & Lio to get that close. XD
I used to be a watchmaker.
Sep 17, 2019 6:48 PM
Jan 2015
I love it. Its a trigger love child through and through. Plus I am sucker for the blum master and lord bosh. Awesome robots, explosions, manscualinty, and posing make a for a fun combo.
Sep 17, 2019 7:01 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Overall this was fantastic.

Watched it dubbed and the acting was pretty solid all around. In general this film has all the hallmarks of a typical Trigger production but that doesn't stop it from being an absolute blast to watch.

Lio and Kamina Galo were pretty cool characters, same goes for the rest of the cast. Aina is ez waifu material, love her.

Of course the best part was the action and man there were so many amazing scenes. It was so hard not to smile at how awesome it all looked.

Easily one of Trigger's best productions since KLK and LWA, loved it all around.
Sep 17, 2019 10:23 PM
Nov 2018
This film was trigger doing quintessential trigger things, and I LOVE it! I was grinning the entire movie. The plot is kinda ridiculous but I didn’t take it too seriously and it made sense. Gorgeous design and presentation.

Only thing that sucked was that the voice audio was way too low, I couldn’t hear during scenes with a lot of noise. I haven’t felt this hype since watching gurren lagann for the first time,
Sep 18, 2019 1:26 PM

Sep 2012
I can't believe the crazy shit they pulled off with 3D animation. I can't wait for people who decry 3D animation to see this and fall in love, so that they realize the error of their ways. As evidenced here, 3D animation is not a crutch, and it does not have to look cheap. It is a perfectly valid artistic tool that was used to build the entire gorgeous aesthetic of this movie.

Moments that got me the most hype:

• Galo's first launch sequence/tranformation sequence
  • Dragon Lio wrecking the city
  • DEUS EX MACHNA
  • Emergency medical rescue in the engine room
  • Every time Galo & Lio's mech transformed/manifested some new weapon

The god Imaishi has blessed us yet again.
Sep 18, 2019 7:14 PM

Dec 2012
The visuals were amazing, everything else was meh.

Just a huge trigger love child, while not bad, it could have been better.
Tbh I actually cringed at a large majority of the dialogue, especially from off brand
Kamina.

Sep 18, 2019 7:21 PM
Dec 2015
I really enjoyed the movie, even though I was never a Studio Trigger fan. Some of the dialogue was yeah, cringey or at least questionable at best in the dub (I.e. “burning spirit!” and anything that trailed along). I don’t see myself rewatching this movie again, since the suspense is completely gone the second time, but I think the music and animation absolutely make up for the rest of it. As someone who isn’t a fan of that style I was still emotionally affected by it. Whenever the fighting OST came on I could feel my heartbeat racing, their female vocalist has a unique voice that was used very well.
Sep 19, 2019 6:10 PM

Jan 2016
Just saw it. Really enjoyed it, not sure I'd rate it that high. I know the "originality" is a bit of a talking point, and while I don't need something to be completely original, there's a line between being original and just aping something else, and it's really easy to argue this is the later. But I think the reason for the lower score is just that I'll forget it exists by tomorrow. It's a very "flash in the pan" sort of movie for me: had a blast in the theater surrounded by people just soaking in the Trigger, but nothing that's going to stick with me. And that's perfectly fine
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Sep 19, 2019 6:45 PM

Dec 2013
I really enjoyed the action. I'll wait to gather my thoughts but so far it's a 8/10

But that awkward moment...

Can't wait to see what they do next.
RealMTLSep 19, 2019 7:48 PM
Sep 19, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2008
Just got out of the theater from the subbed version.

Completely godlike. If that didn't get your blood pumping, check your fuckin' pulse.
Sep 19, 2019 8:24 PM

Oct 2012
Fun movie. Glad I saw in the theater. The art and action is beautiful. I feel like it really just needed one more mind-blowing twist at the end and a bit more development of the main fire squad.
Sep 19, 2019 9:06 PM
Mar 2015
I watched it in the theater The CGI was abysmal The plot was full of holes,but the audience hooted at Deus ex Machina Felt like Gurren Lagann recycled
Sep 19, 2019 9:19 PM

Feb 2010
Some nice gurren lagann throwbacks
Sep 19, 2019 9:33 PM
Sep 2018
People excuse the bad plot because "it's Trigger's style," but Trigger usually backs it up with at least a little bit of character development. Galo was the most fleshed out character in the whole show, but we still never got more than, "my purpose is to fight fires!" out of him.

In my opinion, no piece of media can be good if it has bad characters and a bad plot.

In addition, I would call the cgi passable. It's not bad at all, but doesn't capture anywhere near the hype levels that something like Gurren Lagann did.
Throwing in obvious references just cheapened the movie for me as well, it used them as a crutch to get fans interested instead of innovating for itself.

These last thoughts are more personal preference, but I wasn't in love with the music and the artstyle was too saturated and pastel for me.

If anyone agrees/disagrees with me, please comment! I'd love to hear why!
St_ArcusSep 19, 2019 9:38 PM
Sep 19, 2019 10:38 PM
Jun 2016
landofthekwt said:
I watched it in the theater The CGI was abysmal The plot was full of holes,but the audience hooted at Deus ex Machina Felt like Gurren Lagann recycled
the cgi was amazing! Maybe you just didnt like the art style? I can agree that it's hard to be unbiased when judging animation but surely there was some love and effort put into this animation and for me, it was top notch.
Sep 19, 2019 10:50 PM
Jun 2016
Arcus_Deer said:
People excuse the bad plot because "it's Trigger's style," but Trigger usually backs it up with at least a little bit of character development. Galo was the most fleshed out character in the whole show, but we still never got more than, "my purpose is to fight fires!" out of him.

In my opinion, no piece of media can be good if it has bad characters and a bad plot.

In addition, I would call the cgi passable. It's not bad at all, but doesn't capture anywhere near the hype levels that something like Gurren Lagann did.
Throwing in obvious references just cheapened the movie for me as well, it used them as a crutch to get fans interested instead of innovating for itself.

These last thoughts are more personal preference, but I wasn't in love with the music and the artstyle was too saturated and pastel for me.

If anyone agrees/disagrees with me, please comment! I'd love to hear why!
In all honesty, I loved all the references to Gurren Lagann and Kill la kill. I feel like this movie was made with the intention of pleasing the fans or trigger's work so I'm quite alright with that. Of course this movie would be a little disappointing if you were expecting some originality but nowadays, a lot of the unique character designs or story ideas, have been used up by now so now I'm just looking at the execution of the story and characters whenever I watch something new.
Oh and one more thing about the fan service. This is another reason I really loved the movie and it was because it gives a character that's essentially like Kamina from TTGL his own spotlight! I was pretty heartbroken from the fact that Kamina died so early in TTGL, especially when I enjoyed his goofy over the top personality so now it's like I finally got to see him take the spotlight in his own anime without affecting the original quality that TTGL had. I honestly do think that this was meant to please the fans of TTGL and KLK while still being easily enjoyable to anyone who hasn't experienced the 2 shows yet.
Sep 20, 2019 12:28 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
ObitoUchiha1488 said:
I feel that this scene was emblematic of trigger basically saying, "Yeah, fuck the rules of writing, we're making hype and we don't care what we have to do to achieve that. We are ascending 'good writing' in favor of pure emotional impact."

Totally agree.

To be fair, I have never seen TTGL—shocking, I know!—so I didn’t get all the references, but I can tell that Galo is essentially Kamina with a facelift. But that’s ok. He was the exact “balls to the wall” character he needed to be for the role. I would say that all the characters were written and portrayed pretty much how they should have been, though I’m a bit unhappy with Kray overall.

It was pretty obvious from early on that Kray was to be the true last boss and that Galo and Lio (GaloLio? …Galileo?) would ultimately join forces against the real enemy. What bothered me about Kray is that, of all the characters, he seemed the most arbitrary. When I ask myself “Why is he the way he is?” I can’t come up with an answer other than “Because they needed him to be The Bad Guy.” I’m less fond of that kind of writing than clichéd plot lines or reuse of old tropes and archetypes. Kray's motivations just don’t make sense, and he feels more like a two-dimensional comic book villain from the 60’s than a 21st century anime antagonist.

No one has commented on the Japanese voice acting yet, so I’ll be the first. The main characters were played entirely by novice and minimally experienced voice actors, but most of them did a smashing job. The only character whose voice I truly disliked was, once again, Kray, who was too high pitched for the role. On the other hand, it was refreshing to have a villain who didn’t sound like all the other anime bad guys—like Vulcan, for instance. Taichi Saotome gave a great performance as Lio, at times putting me in the mind of Kensho Ono and Yoshitaka Yamaya. Kenichi Matsuyama literally made Galo who he is. The more experienced cast members playing supporting roles included many returning from KLK. Casting newbies for the main characters and more experienced actors as supporting characters works well for Promare. While the theme and plot progression aren’t exactly original, the fresh casting, simple art style, and outstanding soundtrack all contribute to a refreshing experience.

Those who were unable to see it on the big screen missed a thrilling experience. I don’t purchase many anime BluRays, but this one will be on the list.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Sep 20, 2019 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
[quote=kyoudai message=58389941]
ObitoUchiha1488 said:

It was pretty obvious from early on that Kray was to be the true last boss and that Galo and Lio (GaloLio? …Galileo?) would ultimately join forces against the real enemy. What bothered me about Kray is that, of all the characters, he seemed the most arbitrary. When I ask myself “Why is he the way he is?” I can’t come up with an answer other than “Because they needed him to be The Bad Guy.” I’m less fond of that kind of writing than clichéd plot lines or reuse of old tropes and archetypes. Kray's motivations just don’t make sense, and he feels more like a two-dimensional comic book villain from the 60’s than a 21st century anime antagonist.

I really enjoyed the movie. Kray was a great villain to me. He actually thought he was saving humanity. I thought a lot of the conflict came from him being a Burnish himself. The Promare speaking to him played a huge part in the decisions he made. I saw him like a Lex Luthor type villain. The voice actor for him was refreshing, because like you said was nice not to hear the cliched villain voice. I was a bit surprised the promare inside him was willing to sacrifice the other burnish to warp the human race to survival. Sure he went crazy - cray-cray - at the end, but hence the name Kray.

Going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
Sep 20, 2019 8:45 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
ObitoUchiha1488 said:

I mean, Kray makes sense to me. He's not evil because he likes being evil, he considers himself just doing that which needs to be done and he doesn't care what he needs to do in order to achieve his goal. He saw that humanity was fucked and came up with a plan he thought worked without any sort of moral consideration. I mean you can ask yourself why he lacks moral consideration but like, Kray is a fucking politician and do you seriously wonder why politicians lack morals? They were just born that way and they were given power which makes them think they can do whatever they want without consequence.

Also, this might be a controversial opinion but I don't really see Kamina in Galo besides the character design. Kamina was sneaky, unorthodox, reckless which are things I don't really see as major character traits in Galo. Not to mention that Kamina's entire character was based on putting on a show while in reality being insecure and unsure constantly which I do not see in Galo whatsoever.

Ultimately, it's just my own thoughts and feelings that keep me from understanding him. I never understood villains, and I guess Kray is not really an exception to that. What you're saying makes sense, although, not to go off track, everyone is born lacking morals. I think most politicians learn the same morals as the rest of us, but the majority forget them or give them up willingly in the process of gaining power. Kray seems to be lacking morals even before gaining power, but that's not that uncommon in non-politicians as well.

But what I keep coming back to is that it really feels like he's looking for a way to rid the world of Burnish and just happened to find a problem that would allow him to do that as the solution, instead of being faced with the problem first and then happening on a solution. He seems to prefer the genocide route, having moved forward with the Burnish "engine" despite allowing Heris to continue researching other means that he quite likely wouldn't have approved even if she'd succeeded. He's all too happy to sacrifice one race and abandon the rest of the planet to save his own ass without showing even a shed of remorse about having to make such a tough decision. Which makes me think it actually wasn't a tough decision for him. As we've established, he's morally lacking, but I guess what it all comes down to is that that's the part I personally can't understand—whether in fictional characters or in real people.

Oh, fyi, the first paragraph in my previous post was all that I was actually directing specifically at you. The rest was just general comments. Since I don't really know much at all about Kamina, I won't comment further on the resemblance between him and Galo.
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
Sep 21, 2019 12:19 PM

May 2013
the opening sequence where they introduced the whole concept was one of the coolest things i've seen in animation.
wouldn't mind an entire movie/series in that style.
Sep 23, 2019 9:43 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Came back from Montreal's screening!

It was just a fun film and spectacle and thats it. Good ol' Trigger stuff.

Like all of Imaishi's anime, at first, personally, i was a little unsure about it. I don't know why but his anime always starts a little bit meh for me. In this case however, I still have some problems with this one at the end of the movie like the character development which is almost non-existent. Definitly should've been more than a movie. Also, i was a little bit weirded out by the 3D but i got used to it pretty quick and ended up enjoying it.

However, i came out of the theater pretty happy i guess. The music was pretty on point (of course since its Sawano.),the humor was more hit than miss and there was some pretty damn good looking fucking fights.

7/10
DatRandomDudeSep 23, 2019 9:47 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 23, 2019 10:11 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it at a local theater and all I can say is that this was just insane. Just pure crazy over the top action from start to finish. Very enjoyable to watch and the direction was top notch.

Visual style was really neat and the direction in every scene was just very unique and interesting with the action sequences resembling some sort of mix between every Trigger show/ Gurren Lagann and strangely enough in my opinion, Mob Psycho. I loved the action sequences but there were definitely parts where it seems like they got too ahead of themselves to the point it wasn't the easiest thing to follow along but it was still understandable. Full points for them action sequences and all the Gainax poses + the Drill moment.

I felt the biggest drawback here was that the narrative wasn't as cohesive as the action sequences, which is just an unfortunate repercussion of the movie length time. However, in this case, the narrative takes a backseat to the bombastic action which while okay does end up making you wonder if perhaps this could've been something better and possibly something truly special.

Despite my praise, it wasn't the greatest thing I've seen and summing it all up, it was essentially just eye candy (Like a standard Hollywood superhero blockbuster but better?). Sorely lacking in emotional impact, especially when compared to something like Gurren Lagann but it's still a fun watch.

In other notes, the soundtrack was lit and Aina is cute. We needed more screen time for her.

7/10
Sep 24, 2019 8:21 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Watched it last night and it was pretty wild! The story is undeniably unoriginal, but the execution makes it enjoyable. Honestly, Promare executed Fire Force's premise better than Fire Force. The characters aren't very fleshed out, but I did like Galo and Lio. It definitely did feel like a one-cour anime's script was pushed crammed into a movie's length. Like, after that bombastic climax, the credits roll in less than a minute. A fist bump is not enough, lol.

But damn, the action is ridiculously hype! It's 95% CG, but it looks super slick. There's time when certain cuts shift to 2D animation (or at least the mechs do, backgrounds are always CG), but it's hard to when's what. The use of CG really allowed for some creative camera use and it did amplify the action. The CG was more beneficial to the movie, kinda like how the CG improved Land of the Lustrous' content. There's no way to 2D animate some of those action scenes without combining the burning soul of every goddamn animator in this entire world, lol. The CG really added to its art-style and aesthetic too. Something about it replicated a video game-like feeling. And the action wouldn't have been half as good if it wasn't for that amazing storyboarding. Seriously, the way the action is laid out is some of anime's best. And honestly, I think it's better than KLK and TTGL.

But the movie as a whole isn't as good as TTGL and KLK, mainly because of the writing. But I guess it didn't really hinder my enjoyment for the movie though. And also, the music is amazing! The way it's synced with the action scenes is great. Vocals kick in during hype moments, making that moment even more hype. I think my favorite scene, visual-wise, was Lio's rage moment at that volcanic area. The way the volcano turned into his face for a second, ugh, such good storyboarding. His entire rage sequence + attack really gave some Devilman Crybaby vibes.

Really wanna give this an 8/10, but that would be too much for a movie that lacks good writing. 7/10 is more fitting I guess.
Sep 24, 2019 6:50 PM

Jul 2017
Saw this movie a few days ago and it's the epitome of an Imaishi/Trigger show with a big budget and time for a movie.

The Sawano drops, the unbelievable CG animation used to create such unbelievable fights, the Gurren Lagann/Kill la Kill references, the stupid logic centered around its story...

It's basically Imaishi and the other staff going, "We're gonna make it intentionally more dumb and ridiculous, and it'd be awesome"

And it worked for me.

I loved all of it. I was so glad the movie had a dumb story since it fit the movie so well, and with just turning my brain off, I got to experience so much fun. More fun than I've had all year. If I rated this seriously, it'd be around an 8, but my enjoyment was around a 10000, so I have to rate it a 9. What a movie for Trigger fans to enjoy lmao
animejasFeb 6, 2020 1:07 PM
Sep 28, 2019 8:45 AM
May 2016
God this is why I love Trigger. While I don't think it's better than Gurren Lagann, which will always be Trigger's magnum opus in my eyes, this was the funnest movie I've ever watched in terms of anime. I smiled like a fucking idiot all the way through and even after I left the theater. I'm so tempted to buy another ticket and watch it again next week if it's still being shown. God bless Imaishi, this was such a fun watch, fucking adored it. 10/10
Oct 1, 2019 6:11 PM

Jul 2017
Finally saw it, was pretty garbage for something that's been hyped up so endlessly. As usual Trigger has zero fucking self awareness or substance.
Oct 11, 2019 6:53 PM

Nov 2008
^ You're mental dude, it was AMAZING and I need the OST in the worst way.

Sawano HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ♥♥♥

Oct 19, 2019 11:34 AM

Feb 2017
Well this was a decent watch watch I'd say.
The story is unoriginal and predictable, we have a classic Trigger ending trope.
On the other hand the CG Animation is really smooth, especially during action scenes and is accompanied by some very good OSTs.
Glad I saw in the theater, the ambiance was really hype.

6/10
Oct 22, 2019 3:00 PM

Jul 2011
Saw this at Edinburgh Filmhouse last night as part of the Scotland Loves Anime 10th anniversary film festival.

Retreads most of the same ground as Imaishi’s previous work and was full of deliberately dumb contrivances and did I mention? It was absolute uproariously fun to watch? This film is a definite crowd pleaser and I’m so glad I got to see it in packed out cinema. That damn beautiful (and ten billion percent gay) emergency CPR scene and reveal that the literal asspull mecha being called Deus X Machina had the entire theatre cheering while simulatenously in stitches.

Also the general message of the movie was surprisingly topical for the present day, too.

Gotta say, I had a wonderful time with this goofy ass mess of a movie. Best seen on the big screen if you can.
Nov 9, 2019 5:30 PM

Jun 2014
Much weaker than Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill, going for the movie format wasn't for the best. I also wasn't a big fan of the CGI implementation, there was too much going on visually at times, quite the clutter and all the camera rotations were hard to keep up with.

The first 35 minutes of the film were extremely boring and the story didn't impress me at all, but it did get a lot better and more interesting after that point, I really wish they would have executed the begging of the film in a better way, it would have drastically improved it overall, but unfortunately the final stretch of the film is complete trash. The middle of the film is the only somewhat passable part.

The voice acting is good, I really enjoyed their seiyuu choices. I didn't care for most of the character designs, but I love Galo's overall manly aesthetic and Captain Ignis was also pretty cool. The mecha designs were shitty and totally forgettable.

The color choices were interesting, but I can't say I was a fan.

The story gets more interesting after the 35 minute mark, but it's still mostly a bunch of complete bullshit that hastily gets thrown into your face. The final confrontation was also quite boring and it's honestly pretty lame how this mostly devolved into a fairly half-assed mecha vs. mecha thing, when they could've done so much more with the flame and ice elements. Then of course the way too over the top villain is also a Burnish, which is something I was expecting. I completely stopped giving a fuck in the final stretch, it was bullshit overload, the ending was honestly retarded as hell, but a fitting way to end this dumpster fire trainwreck of a film

All the characters were weakly made and really lacked proper characterization, hell, even the main characters barely have any personality.

The OST is god tier, the best thing about the film by far.

1/10, this should have been a two cour TV anime, but I doubt it could have saved such an abysmal story

I was expecting to at least enjoy this a little bit, but that wasn't the case whatsoever, all I can say is meh...
alpha_shadowNov 9, 2019 5:36 PM
:3
Nov 17, 2019 3:51 PM

Feb 2012
Watched this today with Sheffield Anime Society at Leeds Town Hall.

Way more Gurren Lagann-like than I expected, I only knew the protagonist looked like Kamina and the plot was about firefighting going into it.

Galo has a Kamina-like personality as well as looks.
Red haired girl Aina = Yoko Littner
Vinny the rat = Boota
Kray Foresight = Gamagoori from KLK

So the Matoi gear used by Galo is an actual thing, so it may not necessarily be a KLK reference but the kanji for it is Ryuko's surname; 纏, so perhaps a happy coincidence.

The Mad Burnish suits follow the same design lineage of Inferno Cop, Chief Overjustice and Alexis Kerib, though I noticed one of them look Eva-esque and the cone feet reminds me of Diebuster.

Speaking of Eva, the Prometech engine is Ramiel!

Deus X Machina couldn't be more fitting a name. Krazyer X carries on the huge shoulder design from Junketsu, to the Evas, Gunbuster and Ideon, is the name a possible reference to this Go Nagai series by any chance?

Of course Lio de Galon/Galo de Leon is based on the Gurren Lagann (I was waiting for the whole movie for a drill), though the asymmetrical color scheme fittingly reminds me of a certain fire-fighting robot

Vulcan's freaking tiny outside his suit.

Fortress_MaximusNov 17, 2019 4:08 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 27, 2019 10:30 AM

Aug 2014
The CGI was integrated increidbly well and the whole vapourwise aesthetic of the film was fucking outstanding. The dragon scene had such fucking good music and was definitely the most hype seen for me. I love all the silly little details like how all of krayzor X's weapons were for teraforming XD.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 9, 2019 2:31 PM
Sep 2017
8/10 for now but coasting on a 7/10 for me. I’m a big Imaishi/Trigger fan and I absolutely loved the style and quality of animation that simply oozed out of this movie(My pick for best of the year). I personally don’t view plot and writing as the most important part of anime(it’s a visual medium), and this movie perfectly represents that sentiment from me. I love how Trigger visibly understands just how stupid the movie is and how cringy Galo is but goes so far to a point where I can’t bring myself to criticize the movie for that. That Sawano soundtrack really managed to bring this movie up to an 8 though, it easily snipes that best soundtrack of the year from Sarazanmai. I can’t see enjoying this movie on a computer though.
Dec 10, 2019 6:42 PM

Jul 2012
Definitely my favourite thing Trigger has ever produced. I need to watch TTGL if it's as good as this.

The plot is pretty good. Obviously, some stuff makes no sense scientifically but it's whatever, it's an anime. I like that it was like originally good guys vs terrorists and then it turned out the terrorists were actually the ones being dehumanized by the "good guys".

I liked the characters too. I watched Kill la Kill before which had similar tropes (I'm pretty sure there's even mutual seiyuu between these two anime) and the characters and Promare were more likable and fresh. Having the main two as male certainly made it better for me since if it was two women, I would expect to see a lot more pandering.

The OST and visuals were great. I watched it in a cinema so my experience was even better.

8/10 and would probably rewatch when BD is out
Dec 10, 2019 8:08 PM

Aug 2015
This was a great movie

I'm slightly gay for Lio

Every time I heard "Matoi" I though "Ryuuko"

Aina's airplane cockpit seems to have come from DitF

I had to laugh seeing the guy with road rage in San Francisco traffic turn into a Burnish, relatable

All the usual Trigger elements, but lampshaded this time so it doesn't suck

eg: I knew the aliens were coming, it's Trigger-but this time, i felt it was actually the best possible explanation for the Burnish
Deus X Machina just nicely lampshades everything

The self-awareness in the film is a strength, though I feel that not really incorporating the rest of the Burning Rescue team (Lucia, Ignis, Varys) in the main plot after going to the trouble of introducing them is a weakness.

The story feels like it was made from elements pulled from the headlines about genocides, concentration camps and illiberal democracy set against a backdrop of geological apocalypse (global warming?), and similar to Kill la kill the theme of corrupt society is appealing. Like Kill la Kill, those elements devolve into wordsalad slogans lest things remain too serious - "My burning firefighter passion will incinerate the world!" is the "Clothes and people should be friends!" of Promare but the self-awareness of Garo being an idiot kinda makes it all work better.

I feel that Kray should have been punished somehow on screen, but eh
Jan 3, 2020 3:00 PM

Jan 2009
damn the visuals of this movie is amazing

the story is simple they just want to satisfy their urge to vent by burning things but the energy of the pacing, dialogues, and action are like really pure burning soul like they are always saying lol

and the soundtracks are fucking hype too

there is also some political message today like racism or discrimination lol nice one since japan is known for its xenophobia and racism

also the LGBT fan arts and memes for this movie is so popular
when it comes to gender representation Imaishi did it all lol

Gurren Lagann - masculinity
Kill la Kill - feminism
Promare - LGBT (just the rainbow colors of the visuals and the CPR kiss scene though)
Feb 4, 2020 3:37 PM

Jul 2012
The moment the AI consciousness of the dead scientist just straight called his giant Gurren Laggan robot "Deus Ex Machina", I bursted out laughing so fucking hard LMAO

This movie was absolutely ridiculous and they knew exactly what kinds of bullshit they were putting in gallons and throwing in here, I fucking loved it.

This is peak Trigger entertainement undistilled, has Gurren Laggan vibes and straight shout-outs all around, and its famous over-the-top stupidly badass awesome no-brain plot written all over it, it was absolutely super fun <3

Feb 6, 2020 1:31 AM

Aug 2014
Watched in theaters two days ago.
What an experience, really.
The movie was screaming "style" every minute, and the second half was just non-stop fun and andrenaline.

It also knew exactly what the audience was there for, and was not afraid to just have fun and be gigantic and colorful.
The "Deus X Machina" scene is just the movie outright stating what you should focus on and going full madness, and it's just hilarious and amazing. If after that you are still arguing about a "plot" or "substance" you didn't get the point.

I noticed a lot of more subtle artistic choices that I really liked, and overall I think this movie was really trying to experiment with what it could do in a, well, movie format (considering it's the very first original Trigger movie, I believe?).

Anyway it's fun as hell, damn pretty to look at and just andrenaline overload.
And it's fine as it is.
LeloTheUnamusedFeb 8, 2020 5:14 AM
Feb 6, 2020 6:00 AM

Apr 2017
Over the top protagonist? Check.
The bad guys are actually the good guys? Check.
It's actually aliens? Check.
Drills? Check.
Going to space? Check.

Yeah, it's Trigger time.
cunnysseur
Feb 6, 2020 8:30 AM

Nov 2010
Promare did what TTGL did best- making you feel pumped up and full of energy
Feb 6, 2020 8:56 AM

Jan 2019
Yup theres gonna be a big influx of people posting on this thread since pirate sites have the movie now lol.
Feb 6, 2020 11:06 AM

Nov 2016
100 minutes of pure fun. I guess the last time I had such a blast with a movie was while watching Stampede.

Absolutely loved the visuals and music. And then there's Deus Ex Machina. Straight to the point, there hardly could've been a more fitting name xD

Overall a worthy spiritual successor to Gurren Lagann and I'm honestly inclined to give this movie a 9/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 6, 2020 1:05 PM

Jan 2009
Trigger studio really follows the Kanada School of animation with striking poses, off-model characters and lower or variable frame rate

they even have Kanada Dragons in this too

nice to watch this again with the fansubs around
Feb 6, 2020 7:24 PM

Mar 2018
Meh. A 2019 re-imagination of Gurren Lagann with two gay protagonists. I didn't mind but it made me wonder why they wanted to make Lio a guy with those looks. Maybe they couldn't find a female seiyuu for him lol.

An okay movie. Just a poor man's TTGL. They should've made a TTGL x Kill la Kill crossover movie instead of this.

Feb 6, 2020 8:32 PM

Oct 2012
Now I can finally ship them properly.

Had lots of fun watching this. Honestly wish there was more to see. 9/10.
Feb 6, 2020 10:00 PM

Sep 2017
The movie was fun to watch from beginning to end, excellent direction, and animation with a beautiful and great integration with 3D animation, excellent soundtrack and fantastic crazy scenes worthy of TRIGGER.

The only problem is it's history, I don't convince me, even though it's a good movie.

The theme from Lio is so brutal >3
Feb 7, 2020 4:15 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Holy fudge, this was just too bloody hype, 110 minutes of pure insanity and mindless fun! Studio Trigger delivers in full throttle yet again! Just about beats the likes of Violet Evergarden Gaiden and Tenki no Ko for Best Movie of 2019 for me.

My only regret is that I couldn't watch this on theaters. Darn it, why didn't they show this here, I bet this could've sold crazy bucks just like in Japan and North America too! I was totally shell shocked watching from my laptop alone, can't imagine how I'd end up otherwise though for that matter xD.

More on this - A visual masterpiece through and through! Camera angles, action choreography, artsyle aesthetics, character designs, 3D CGI, some glorious 2D and of course creative poses, you name it! Just .. long live Kanada School Animation! Being the Trigger fanboy that I'm, I honestly can't wait to see what they'll bring out next. Of course, expecting something of this quality would be raising the stakes too high so I'll try to be a bit more reasonable on that note, lol. In a few frames, there was a lot going on and it was hard to keep up at times, but that's literally all for the nitpicks in this department.

Another department that this show absolutely rocked was the Soundtrack! Sawano Hiroyuki is the GOAT and here's another prime example as to why, 'nuff said. It's hard to put into words but action scenes, in particular, with his music are just phenomenaly phenomenal l and I'm very grateful that he was a part of this project. A shout out to mpi, Benjamin, Laco and Gemie for their amazing roles too, it's no exaggeration to say that the Sound Department was almost just as top-tier as the Animation itself imo. Lol, the Sound Director literally played ost after ost (like up tp 4-5, if I'm not wrong) at the start, well done!

A lot of missed potential for the side-characters and quite obviously so, if I do say so myself. But no helping that with a movie-length, a tv series wouldn't resound as much however, so a real pity indeed. Galo and Lio's duo was fascinating to keep up with though, a big plus certainly. Foresight Kray, I could tell something was off with him from the very start and quite rightly so. Even the fact that he's a Burnish was quite predictable but he was an interesting villain nonetheless. I'm glad they tried to give him as much screentime as possible though, even going as far as to covering the truth behind Galo's rescue.

Sweet little teaser for Galo x Aina midway which really stood out to me as well, gah I wish we could've had a bit more on this too! And then there's of course the late Professor who, no doubt, just felt like a plot device more so than anything else. VA, overall, was really good too imo.

Now, on to the plot. Quite honestly, it was so-so at best. Strikingly similar to Enn Enn no Shouboutai in many ways indeed I've to say now that I've actually watched the movie, I'm not going to delve into the controversy now however so let's leave it at that. Explanations on the whole Burnish/Dimension and Warp Gates and etc. were pretty off the mark here and there, in all honesty. It was kind of like the story, as a whole, was changing gears and focusing on different aspects one too many times.

Overall, messy, incoherent and poor backstory with a questionable over-the-top finale but it was more dense and deep than I imagined it'd be so I'll give a plus for that at least. Why not a little after-credit scene though...

Damn, some very appreciable fan-service for TTGL fans amidst all this! Deus Ex Machina, oh hell yeah xD. They could have been a bit more subtle y'know, lol.

All in all, I'll be a little lenient and give this a solid 9/10! Incredible experience with a tinge of awesome nostalgia, at the end of the day after all.
_MushiRock11_Feb 7, 2020 5:49 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Feb 7, 2020 5:06 AM

Aug 2008
The most boring standard pointless opening fight I've seen in a while. The more Trigger is trying to replicate TTGL's spirit, the more I think it was a one time miracle for Imaishi. It seems like it was a result of an awesome coincidence happening at Gainax at that time more than Imaishi being the director.

I'm not expecting Trigger to make something as good, but so far they haven't made a series I could call even decent. It's all form and no substance. And even the form is not that good, especially here. I don't see what people are so amazed with in Promare.

On a side note, maybe I was just too bored to pay enough attention, but where were the fag undertones some people were talking about?

All in all, there was a lot of colours and movement on the screen but I'm not even sure what I wasted 2 hours on. I think I'll stay away from Trigger shows for good now. They could blame Franxx on A1 but this is all on them.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What Is With People Only Watching Promare Just For Lio?

Equallady - Jan 31, 2021

13 by Equallady »»
Jan 17, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Why Don't People Care About/Like Main Character Galo?

Equallady - Feb 18, 2021

13 by HEBI_TAN »»
Oct 12, 2023 3:20 AM

» (!) Do watch Galo-hen / Lio-hen after *22 min* of the Promare movie

Rob7 - Oct 20, 2020

5 by callmethebigG »»
Sep 19, 2022 9:49 PM

» Promare Blu-Ray?

Shiki278 - Sep 19, 2019

5 by Fishb0i »»
Jan 22, 2022 5:29 PM

» Did you know that this is Yaoi? ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Jan 3, 2020

88 by Sukeroku_IV »»
Jul 29, 2021 7:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.