As with most people, my first anime were Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and a faint memory of Digimon. Not having the luxury of cable, I only saw maybe one or two episodes of Dragon Ball and Gundam Wing on Toonami when I was at a friend's house.
By late 2007, the channel AnimeCentral became available in the United Kingdom and I watched first anime I could say I was really into; Full Metal Alchemist (2003), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop and most of all; Planetes. Sadly, Anime Central, a British channel dedicated to anime, is now defunct.
Elsewhere, my entry into the mecha genre was through the Transformers franchise. Although I grew up in the eras of Beast Wars, Car Robots and Unicron Trilogy, I was more interested in G1 via the second-hand G1 toys and VHS tapes from my cousin. So probably, the first mecha anime I watched was Transformers: Micron Legend (aka Transformers Armada). I also had Neon Genesis Evangelion and Bubblegum Crisis on VHS but I don't really remember their plots (until rewatching them) as the tapes only included the first several episodes.
Later, I got hold of the hilariously bad English dubs of Transformers: The Headmasters on VHS, soon I decided to find the original Japanese versions of the Headmasters, and Unicron Trilogy online, from there I researched Takara Brave Series and started watching Brave Police J-Decker, realizing this was animated by a studio famous for mecha, I decided to watch their Magnum Opus; UC Gundam series, although I saw SEED previously on Anime Central, I didn't really care for it since I was much more hooked on Cowboy Bebop and Planetes; my first time watching SEED and comprehending it would be the HD Remaster that was streamed for free on Gundam Info. From Gundam, I got into Macross and the rest of the mecha and space opera genres of anime.
My first Macross series was Plus, I exclaimed in joy the first time I found Macross Plus Ultimate Edition (Manga UK's bundle of the OVA and movie together) at a bargain in CeX.
All Favorites Favorites
- Planetes TV·2003
- Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor 2 the Movie Movie·1993
- Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu OVA·1988
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin OVA·2015
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team OVA·1996
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam TV·1985
- Initial D First Stage TV·1998
- Cowboy Bebop TV·1998
- Macross Plus OVA·1994
- Neon Genesis Evangelion TV·1995
- Yang, Wen-li Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
- Noa, Bright Mobile Suit Gundam
- Kenshirou Hokuto no Ken
- Joestar, Joseph JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Adventure
- Fujiwara, Takumi Initial D Fourth Stage
- von Schönkopf, Walter Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
- Kuujou, Joutarou JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Adventure
- Katsuragi, Misato Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Mikami, Teru Death Note
- Carmichael, Fee Planetes