Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 5, 2016 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Miyokichi is awesome, I'm starting to like her now because of her personality and style. Plus, she brings out the best of Yakumo, who seems to often have a reserved personality.

Yotarou is still awesome as usual and keeps in touch with his own rakugo skills. It's almost amazing at how much different they are imo, especially since they have the same profession. Good characterization as usual.
Feb 5, 2016 10:21 AM

Nov 2007
lol @ bringing girls and he get them away. He thinks that his friend's rakugo can go better (not low class). moment with that lady again. The daughter of the boss came and kind of in trouble.

IS that Kimura-san's character who voices a boy who got huge volume of hair? lol~. That lady did come to do his make up for his acting. He does a character who pretends to be female, and he does very well!! The audiences likes it, too.

Next ep. airing February 11 (Thursday) 27:16 instead because of TBS special show next week.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Feb 5, 2016 1:20 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Miyokichi showing that not only are boys are great characters

The beginning with the prostitutes was funny but the part after was pretty sweet with not only Shin trying to get Kiku to gain confidence but with those super cute scenes that Kiku had with Miyokichi - Such a great dynamic together

The performance was different but still cool to see anyway, and especially the end of it was great becausw the way Kiku just came to life there was just beautiful

I have a feeling that Miyokichi will indirectly cause something bad to happen to the boys though sometime in the future and the PV makes it seem like some other girl is coming on to Kiku maybe?
TokoyaFeb 5, 2016 1:50 PM
Feb 5, 2016 1:50 PM

Nov 2014
It seems like this series gets better with each episode. Or maybe I've just gotten less critical and impatient with it.

Yakumo got in-touch with his inner narcissist this time. Feeding off the receptiveness of the audience gave him a much needed confidence boost.

5/5
Feb 5, 2016 1:55 PM

Sep 2014
That play was really fun to watch.
Feb 5, 2016 1:56 PM

Oct 2012
And I thought it couldn't get better.
Miyokichi was much more likeable than I expected and Kiku was beautiful in that performance.
Feb 5, 2016 2:03 PM
Jan 2011
Those two really have a complicated relationship. If it wasn't for growing up with the same master I'm sure they wouldn't be friends. They play off each other well though. Definitely my favorite for the season so far.
Feb 5, 2016 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
The play was fun to watch!
Feb 5, 2016 2:14 PM

Aug 2010
Awesome ep. Man Miyo and Kiku's meet ups are really nice. I assume she'll end up with Shin but I wonder if she'll do it with Bon before that? If they haven't already XD

And damn she looks way too different without the make up.

Kiku nailed it when he revealed he's a man during the play. His acting was awesome. And he realized he's an attention whore lol

Nxt ep, flashback in the flashback? I really guess this whole series is gonna be about Shin and Bon
Feb 5, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2014
Those 24 minutes flew. The play was fun to watch, and it was satisfying to see Yakumo gain confidence as the audience pays attention to him. Good for him.
I need sleep.
Feb 5, 2016 2:27 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The dynamics between Kiku and Shin continues to be great. That charcoal tossing scene was the best; and of course, the slight squabbling about Rakugo right before that.

That piano track during Miyokichi X Kiku scene was amazing! If not for their romantic interactions alone, rewatched the scene twice just for that BGM. Considering this is the composer's first show, she has done a fine job.

The play was pretty interesting but the voice acting was even better, particularly Kiku's female role. Speaking with a certain accent takes a lot of talent.

Feb 5, 2016 2:34 PM

Jul 2012
Great episode. Love the pacing and the theme.
Feb 5, 2016 3:08 PM

Jun 2015
Yakumo best girl 2016.
Feb 5, 2016 3:19 PM

Jul 2015
Damn. After the photos were taken, I was expecting to be halfway through the episode but then the credits rolled. Amazing ep. Best episode so far. Really enjoyed it!
Feb 5, 2016 3:21 PM

Aug 2015
Damn this episode is too good , lol Miyokichi became likeable character in this episodes . Ahh .. that peformance is good af i fcking laugh like wtf . That taking picture part is funny tho .

Kiku Best girl 2016 confirm .
5/5
Feb 5, 2016 3:24 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Miyokichi was so great in this episode. Yakumo improving in his skills was nice to see.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerFeb 6, 2016 10:08 AM
Feb 5, 2016 3:28 PM

Apr 2011
A great episode again.

It's hard to like Miyo knowing what she did. She can be funny but she is too aggresive towards Bon and I am not fan of characters like her.

The play was pretty good, but the ending totally won me. I couldn't wait to see it animated and the studio did a wonderful job.

The photos ;_;

I see shota flashback next episode. It's anime original again, not that I mind since they have been great so far and if anything, they add more to the story. Thing is, I had to check the scans and we are still in vol3. This episode didn't have any anime original scenes but not sure about the rest. Also, it was announced today that the manga will end with vol10 (we are in vol9 now), and after seeing the scans again, the flashback might go up to episode 9 or 10 and the anime will end in vol5 or start of 6. That's why I am thinking we might get S2 but that's just an idea so far. I need to see a few more episodes to have a better conclusion.

Barion-Zara said:
Awesome ep. Man Miyo and Kiku's meet ups are really nice. I assume she'll end up with Shin but I wonder if she'll do it with Bon before that? If they haven't already XD

Makise11Feb 5, 2016 3:52 PM
Feb 5, 2016 4:36 PM

Dec 2010
I still don't like Miyokichi. I wished Kiku would have finally rejected her, but... I feel bad intentions coming from her, and with her lighthearted attitude I can only see her as a serious threat to Kiku and Shin's friendship.

Anyway, I loved how Kiku gained confidence thanks to the audience's stares, but from the preview it looks like his feelings of envy/admiration towards Shin will burn inside him again.
Feb 5, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2012
Another excellent outing this week, that play looked awesome! :D So Yakumo finally has the audience captivated by his every word and move...and it's for a play, not rakugo. Still, this experience will surely help him immensely. Shin really is a great friend, helping him out of his shell like that. Yakumo cleans up pretty nicely as a woman too. :D Loved that first half with Miyokichi too. Still not much interaction between her and Shin though. If the preview's anything to go by seems like yet another girl might become interested in Yakumo.
Feb 5, 2016 4:49 PM

Aug 2015
Loved this episode. The play was great.
Feb 5, 2016 5:19 PM

Aug 2014
watching the episode made me v happy?? everything was great tbh. the opening scene with yakumo shutting the door on yotarou more than once and even demanding rent was a+

the 10 minutes for the play felt too short. I loved how yakumo was slowly embracing his role and loving being on stage. I think this experience will definitely help him with his rakugo.

miyokichi, yakumo and yotarou remain really pleasant to watch. I am looking forward to seeing more of miyakichi. (she looked v pretty with her hair down)

the pv for the next episode promises more flashback (in a flashback??) and I am looking forward to it.
seeingsashaFeb 5, 2016 5:22 PM
Feb 5, 2016 6:02 PM

Feb 2015
This episode's performance was huge for Kiku. I loved the makeup and set design.
Feb 5, 2016 6:18 PM
Oct 2013
I still love Shin-san's rakugo style but Yakumo blew me away this week!!!! His female and male characters were like night and day. It was so entertaining to watch him. Mad props to the voice actors in this anime....they are very talented at making us feel the way the audience is feeling while the actors are performing.
Feb 5, 2016 6:19 PM
Oct 2013
Durarara said:
That play was really fun to watch.

Agreed!!!! I was drawn to Yakumo just like the audience was. Totally captivated by his female character
Feb 5, 2016 6:21 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode. Yakumo finds a liking towards being on stage with the help of Miyokichi and Shin. The big reveal at the end was amazing; acting was nice.
Feb 5, 2016 7:00 PM

Apr 2015
Fantastic episode.

LOL to him dressing as a girl. Really liked that last performance and Sukeroku's character. Loving this show a lot. Wish it never ends. Come on, season 2!
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Feb 5, 2016 7:11 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, that episode went so fast.
I really like Miyokichi so far. I have a feeling that bad stuff could happen tho.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 5, 2016 7:30 PM

Jun 2013
Oh man, this neko just got even more amazing. That performance in the end was awesome. Kikuhiko didn't have confidence in himself that he can pull off such a major role in front of a big audience. But Sukeroku believed in him and Kiku pulled off some amazing shit there. His acting was amazing. Sukeroku did this so that Kiku can get more fans and experience the feeling when the whole crowd applauds for you. He wanted Kiku to become popular like himself because the guy was a bit pissed since Sukeroku fools around and still gets popular whereas he practices and isn't as popular and this performance will help a lot. Brilliant stuff here.
Feb 5, 2016 8:27 PM

Mar 2015
This episode was soooooooooooooo amazing. I freaking loved it. This anime just keeps getting better and better
Feb 5, 2016 9:43 PM

Aug 2014
Each episode just gets better and better.
Feb 5, 2016 10:42 PM

Aug 2012
As much as I don't want to like Miyokichi because she's obviously going to fuck things up, her chemistry with Bon was just great, and actually genuine.
Feb 6, 2016 2:17 AM

Jan 2015
This was an amazing episode!
Kiku looked beautiful!
Feb 6, 2016 4:19 AM

Sep 2012
Great characters, very good animation, great OST, very good story so far a great anime in my opinion one of the sleeping hits of this season.
Feb 6, 2016 4:33 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Another great episode. I know 8.05 is not a bad score but looking at dozens and dozens of shows rated above this, I have to say this is criminally underrated on MAL. It's easily one of the 2 top shows this season.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 6, 2016 5:46 AM

Dec 2014
ok the play created more drama.
Feb 6, 2016 6:05 AM
Jan 2015
Okay. It remained as the best show this season. Nice.

It actually reminded me of this performance. Bon and Sen are so much like Shin and Yakumo. Talk about some rich character interaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOf3MVMPGOc

And oh, shameless plug: samui26.wordpress.com. Here's my blog.
Feb 6, 2016 6:59 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I still dont like Miyokichi.

The play was fun.
Feb 6, 2016 10:10 AM
Nov 2015
I really liked this episode. It was great to see development for Kiku-san.
The play was really great!

9/10 & 5/5
Feb 6, 2016 10:35 AM

Apr 2013
The play was phenomenal, and so was this episode. Miyokichi is pretty nice too. Intimate scene was nice.

Farabeuf said:
Another great episode. I know 8.05 is not a bad score but looking at dozens and dozens of shows rated above this, I have to say this is criminally underrated on MAL. It's easily one of the 2 top shows this season.

dw the score will jump when it ends.
Feb 6, 2016 10:44 AM

Jun 2011
Could this be some kind of 'foreshadowing'...

...considering that the title of the show translates to 'Showa and Genroku Era Double-Suicide Through Rakugo', or more explicitly to 'Showa and Genroku Era Lover's Suicide Through Rakugo'?
Feb 6, 2016 12:22 PM

Oct 2011
Felt like 5 minutes every episode OMG <333

I was drawn to Kiku just like the audience
Feb 6, 2016 1:41 PM

Apr 2011
_Rika said:

...considering that the title of the show translates to 'Showa and Genroku Era Double-Suicide Through Rakugo', or more explicitly to 'Showa and Genroku Era Lover's Suicide Through Rakugo'?

Makise11Feb 6, 2016 1:45 PM
Feb 6, 2016 1:44 PM

Dec 2013
Fantastic episode, best show of this season in my eyes ^.^
Feb 6, 2016 3:10 PM

Mar 2009
Finally, Kiku gets his time in the spotlight. Totally deserves it.

I warmed up to Miyokichi in this episode. Looks like she genuinely cares for him.
Feb 6, 2016 3:24 PM

Jun 2013
damn man get a hint she was throwing herself at you
Feb 6, 2016 4:25 PM

Sep 2011
What a utter joy this episode was, i say it every week and it still stays true this week, these episodes go by so quickly.

Also shouldnt yakumo be listed as a main character on here already, its pretty clear by now that the anime is focusing on the flashback with him as the protagonist yet hes still listed as supporting, id say even if the show goes back to the present after next ep i think being the protagonist for half the show is about as main character as you can get.

LeFlower-kun said:

Farabeuf said:

I'm sure as hell giving this a 9/10 if the quality stays this good or improves so i hope others are in the same boat so that the score does jump when its over.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 6, 2016 4:49 PM

Nov 2013
This show is something special. Week after week, Shouwa Genroku continues to impress me with the subtle characterization of its cast and the ability to immerse the viewer in its world. Another aspect of the show that's worth noting is the tangible, tasteful sensuality that's exhibited between certain members of the cast; in this particular episode, you could really feel the intimacy between Kiku and Miyokichi as they shared a moment in her room. I think this is the first show I've seen where this sort of element jumped out for me.

And as always, the performance was well-depicted and a pleasure to watch. Everything from the lighting to the voice acting was on point, and I loved how we caught glimpses of the audience from Kiku's point of view to put us in his shoes.
Feb 6, 2016 6:30 PM

Apr 2015
JizzyHitler said:
What a utter joy this episode was, i say it every week and it still stays true this week, these episodes go by so quickly.

Also shouldnt yakumo be listed as a main character on here already, its pretty clear by now that the anime is focusing on the flashback with him as the protagonist yet hes still listed as supporting, id say even if the show goes back to the present after next ep i think being the protagonist for half the show is about as main character as you can get.

LeFlower-kun said:

I'm sure as hell giving this a 9/10 if the quality stays this good or improves so i hope others are in the same boat so that the score does jump when its over.

I'm watching probably 8 animes in this season, and without a doubt, the AOTS so far is shouwa.
Maybe the score is not so high like boku gake (erased) because there aren't many people following shouwa.
This episode again was a masterpiece. Yakumo dressed as a woman was so funny and interesting. I was very surprised with his performance today.
Feb 6, 2016 8:05 PM

Jun 2011
yuyyuka said:
_Rika said:

I have a rough idea of where this is going. I might be wrong and it could in actuality be something drastically different from what I have on my mind, but at this point I don't see what else it could be. Oh well, only time will tell.
Feb 7, 2016 2:43 AM

Apr 2011
_Rika said:

I have a rough idea of where this is going. I might be wrong and it could in actuality be something drastically different from what I have on my mind, but at this point I don't see what else it could be. Oh well, only time will tell.

I can tell you what I know If you would like to, so it's up to you.
The thing with the story is that it has a few twists, so some things are not what they seem to be in first glance.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2016

262 by Weeaboo_Bomber »»
Feb 14, 9:54 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2016

196 by Abdullla_aah »»
Nov 25, 2023 9:10 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2016

203 by Shikkakku »»
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2016

134 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2016

121 by Shikkakku »»
May 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.