Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Secret Santa 2015: The Great Reveal!

New
Jan 2, 2016 2:39 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
MAL SECRET SANTA
THE GREAT REVEAL!

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU to all of our SECRET SANTAS.

After confirmations, we had:
 ♫ 183 total Secret Santas for the Rec Edition;
 ♫ 108 total Secret Santas for the Image Edition;
 ♫ 54 total Secret Santas for the Review Feature;
 ♫ 43 Secret Santas that participated in both events;
 ♫ 248 unique Secret Santas; and,
 ♫ 291 gifts sent out by our elves!

We managed to break last year's record with 50 more unique participants, 38 more Rec Edition Santas and 14 more Image Edition Santas. Thank you to everyone who participated for the third year in a row and all of the new faces!

Second of all, please take the time to give A BIG THANK YOU to all of our ELVES.
 ♫ tingy
 ♫ Ana
 ♫ brianez
 ♫ Dancho
 ♫ Heddie
 ♫ Jicetus
 ♫ Lazy
 ♫ Max

They took the time to compile all of the lists, randomise them, send hundreds of PMs, organise all the gifts, send hundreds more PMs, give advice on images, write backup recs, quality check and improve gifts where necessary, and generally suffer through the chaos created by running an event of this size on such a short time limit. Without all of them, we would have gone stark-raving crazy trying to put this together.

Finally, please be sure to:
  Pass your Secret Santa(s) a big thank you, and possibly, some feedback on your rec/image. Please remember that it's near impossible to get a gift 100% to your liking from a person who knows nothing about you; I'm sure your Santa tried his best!
  Post in this thread, telling us what you thought of the event! And how we possibly could improve it for 2016.

A final note for the Review Feature:
Please remember that you must:
 ♫ complete your recommendation and write a review on the title (which meets the Review Guidelines) by January 15th, 2015;
 ♫ PM your completed review to Elf-hime; and,
 ♫ refrain from uploading your review to the site until we have organized all the reviews for the showcase.

More details on how the reviews will be showcased will be given at a later time. Look forward to it!

See You All Next Year~
KinetaJan 2, 2016 2:46 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Rec Edition (Part 1) a.k.a. Elf-pyon

Rec Edition (Part 2) a.k.a. Elf-chama

Rec Edition (Part 3) a.k.a. Elf-hime
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Image Edition (Part 1) a.k.a. Elf-tan

Image Edition (Part 2) a.k.a. Elf-rin
Jan 2, 2016 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
Thank you, Sacred :) Still have to start reading my recs. Will do it soon and make the review! lol

Good event overall! Nothing really bad to say about it other than delays for the revealing.
Jan 2, 2016 2:55 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Wow, I did not expect so many people joining in! I should have taken part, but I always doubt myself when it comes to give something to someone else! So, unfortunately I cannot give any tip for next year, but it already seems like it was a great success either way :D

I should convince myself to take part next year! Well done and HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!
Jan 2, 2016 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
Yay! It's been revealed! Even if it's late, good job :)
Thanks to my santas once again (the recs are awesome!), to the staff and volunteers of this amazing event, as well as everyone who participated for making this Secret Santa awesome.

Might sign-up for the volunteers for this year's event to increase activity with less late times.
removed-userJan 2, 2016 3:14 PM
Jan 2, 2016 3:09 PM

Sep 2015
Thanks Ember, loved it :3
This event was great :D
💙 Set by:Gabby_Chan💙 Strawberry
Jan 2, 2016 3:11 PM

Apr 2015
Hey!!! Thank youuuu Kono_Ore <3 I was really pleased by Kira help me make the Christmas tree!!! Thanks!!

By the way this was my first year so I really love it ! Thank you Staff, santa and elfs!!
Happy new year to everyone
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2016 3:12 PM

Sep 2015
I've left my big "Thank You" as a comment on his profile, but I have to thank him here as well cause I really loved it!!! Arigatou Gozaimasu!! ^^

And the event was great!!! Looking forward to participe in similar events in the future :)
Jan 2, 2016 3:15 PM

Jul 2014
thanks metalmickey. im still in the middle of my rec but it's good.
Jan 2, 2016 3:28 PM

Jun 2008
Thanks for a cool event everyone. Didn't really notice any problems with it. I would even say that the delay was good as it wasn't that long but surely made me more excited about the reveal.
Jan 2, 2016 3:28 PM

Oct 2015
Thank you, Malarkey! GakkouGurashi is interesting.
Jan 2, 2016 3:30 PM

Jun 2015
Thanks BlackenedGirl! :D

I loved my gift.. It was the best thing ever <3 Lotsa love and hugs ~

-

P.S. Lazy so sneaky :P

We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized that-
-the real monsters
reside inside us..
Jan 2, 2016 3:31 PM

Jul 2014
Thank you FireflyGraves, I only watched a few episodes of Tsubasa Chronicle but it was pretty entertaining from what I saw.
Jan 2, 2016 3:33 PM

Mar 2013
I'll probably participate in the image edition again next year, it was fun.
thanks to the elves for all the effort.
Jan 2, 2016 3:36 PM

Jan 2015
Thanks for gibbing random fascist memes and recs random citizen
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jan 2, 2016 3:37 PM
Jan 2013
Omeg4, you're now the cutest MAL member in my eyes, I don't even caaaaaaare if this doesn't make sense, I love you now, like as much as platonic can go. And maybe further than that, that's just how much I liked it ★~(◠‿◕✿) Please ignore this, you may do it, seriously. It was kinda of a fun coincidence too I guess, since I started studying CompSci just 2 months ago and I woulda most likely not understood whatever the hell those weirds gibberish meant if not that. Thanky'as very muchhhh, you adorable mindreader! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ You nailed it.

Now, Jicetus sonny, until now I pretty much loved what you gave me. 14-sai no Koi made my heart shred out of my chest so many times, by pure "HNNNNHNNNNNGGGGomgthissocute" and Orange Marmelade was pretty much just amazing, I'm on Dengeki daisy now and I'm already liking it a lot. So you could say till now you hit the nail on the head with your choices Now I wonder bout the others (◡‿◡ ), I'm kiddin tho (⊙ヮ⊙), I'm having a pretty good time thanks to ya. Much appreciated( ̄ー ̄)

Now you guys who worked on the event, you musta be going crazy by now, go buy yourselves a Tiramissu. Good job there, you shoulda go now take a loooong rest, but this is just my two... "santas" (☞゚∀゚)☞ HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Serious though, thanks for your hard work... Wait... Jicetus was also a elf huh. ≖‿≖ Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, couldya've been Jicetus-hime or Jice-tan? Hope not, just feel bad for the people who had to go throught my shenanigans. Or even maybe just being a elf, looks like i'tve been a helluva work there, may y'all rest in piece Two cents... Two santas? Eh? Eeeeh? Eeeeeeeeeeh? AHAHAHA yeah....

And a message for the people who received my presents.... I'm so sorry (╹◡╹)

And as for the event, I don't think there were any problems on my side, things were pretty chill for me and I don't really think improvements or fixes are necessary. It was fun, seey'all peeps on the next big thing maybe if I don't get run over by a car or forget how to use the internet.
gone bai bai
Jan 2, 2016 3:43 PM

Nov 2014
I really look forward to this event every year, so thanks MAL!
Jan 2, 2016 3:44 PM

Aug 2014
ahh thankyou vikki and brian ^-^

△ ▼ △
Deliveries
Anime Guild
Inquiries
Set by Nate
▲ ▽ ▲
Jan 2, 2016 3:44 PM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Thank you Ranoom! Really liked your avatar choice. =)

And thank you, tsuyokunaru for your recommendations! I've actually already read Medaka Box. :3 SO I read the other ones you suggested and I especially enjoyed Eyeshield 21! Even though the MC was a bit of a wimp at the beginning he quickly changed! (I didn't really mind that he was wimp-ish since the humor made up for it. ^^) I haven't have had time to finish it yet (at ch.103) though since I was away on holidays but I'll be sure to finish it soon! :D

EDIT: I'm glad you liked it Mkim! And yeah Orange Marmelade was sooo good wasn't it? Especially at that scene, you know... Water.... :/
JicetusJan 2, 2016 3:50 PM

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jan 2, 2016 3:49 PM

May 2008
I loved the event, I hope that next christmas happen again :)
About the thanks I made in the respective profiles :)

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
DELIVERYS//OMC-AD//SLIPS
Jan 2, 2016 3:50 PM

Jul 2013
Thank you my secret santa, I really liked the show. I probably never would have watched it if you didn't recommend it. I thought it was something else, but what I got after watching it was something even better.

And also a bigger thank you to tingy, you probably had a lot going on with the event, but still managed to send me the other presents. I'm really grateful to you.

You both made me have a better December.

I hope the receiver of my gift liked it at least a bit, I don't know if I did something right or if it was any good.

I will be here next year, of course. I love this event.
Jan 2, 2016 3:56 PM

May 2013
Thank you, Santa! These are indeed pretty pics~

I'm sorry to my recipient, it was hard to find something in your style!
Jan 2, 2016 4:16 PM

Jan 2015
Thank you Secret Santas, really appreciate the time you took to make these recommendations!

Ana - Interesting manga picks, I've already read a few of them and will probably get to the rest soon. They've been great reads
kuchitsu - Added the anime to my PTW, I'm always up for a mystery I haven't seen yet. Looking forward to it

This was a fun event, will definitely look forward to participating in it again :)
Jan 2, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2010
A huge thank you to aqing0601 for being my Secret Santa! I superbly appreciated the careful thought and consideration you put into your recommendation--and I'm sorry that I confused you by making you think I wanted EVERYTHING I'd listed in likes, rather than just any one of the things I'd listed ^.^;;;; I watched the whole of GakkouGurashi in two days, already have my friends watching it, and am planning to cosplay from it in the future (as Mii-kun). What a welcome surprise! Thank you!

And thank you, of course, to everyone who organized!
Jan 2, 2016 4:38 PM

Dec 2013
A very nice set Dancho, thanks for the effort and time. As soon as I clicked the spoiler I was delighted at the sight. I didn't know about the image so it was a total surprise and while I offered many characters to choose from I think I secretly was hoping it would be Dorothy. The way it captures her entire face and the flowers was a nice choice of frame. Also the colors are really nice as well.

Vocaju, I skimmed past Wolf's Rain at least twice before when looking for anime to add to my PTW. Both times the synopsis wasn't alluring enough nor were the reviews of it. However, given it's your recommendation and you remember it as complex I'm going to give it a chance. Thanks for taking the time to find and recommend it even though the genre isn't fitting of your tastes. Also the Honorable mentions were interesting to scan. A few of them I hadn't heard of or seen before so glad to have found something new. =)

Noifa, your recommendation actually surprised me. Not because I hadn't known about Planetes already, as it's on my anime PTW, but because of how thorough you were in recommending it. I know that you were already interested in it, but you read parts of it to gauge how interesting it was and delved into the reasons why I may or may not like the genre I requested. You also looked to my ratings to do that as well.(Which were pretty accurate I must admit.)

As soon as I received your recommendation I was regretting my own haha. Mainly due to realizing how much more I could do not because I feel they were horrible. Though, I plan to read Planetes soon due to your rec, the setting, and the tomboy the anime synopsis didn't mention.(I kinda have a thing for them.) Thanks for your time and effort, whenever I start to conquer the mountain that is my PTR I'll be sure to start with Planetes =). Oh, and I don't really mind long messages just PMs in general =P.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the event. I would say it was fun, definitely reminded me of last year when it was a new experience for me. Like last year I feel I could have done better, but managed to be okay in quality for the most part. If I had to suggest an improvement it would be to acquire more volunteers to make things run more smoothly. I know nothing was really all too late, but you mentioned chaos so I assume things were either disorganized or work load was strenuous. To add to that I also advise having a plan of action before you announce the event.
AstrosJan 2, 2016 4:46 PM
Jan 2, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2015
Thank you -Saichi-, I loved the images! (I just made the signature more dark, but just 'cause it fits more in my taste)

And thanks to all the organizers of this event! First time participating and looking forward to participate in it again!
ResonanceJan 2, 2016 4:45 PM
Jan 2, 2016 4:53 PM

Mar 2014
My account was hacked and my name was changed to "Agressive_Pizza"
Whoever wants to contact "Fullmetal-Ghoul" that's me, so just click here: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Agressive_Pizza
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 2, 2016 5:22 PM

Dec 2014
Thanks so much Lune!! I loved it a lot and immediately replaced it as my new sig 😉 By chance Kotori is my favorite of the 9 Members from muse so well done! It's so kawaii!!!

Thank also Elf-rin for making this a sucess?!
Jan 2, 2016 5:31 PM

May 2014
Thanks Creamy, I sooo love the Diego Brando set! :3
Jan 2, 2016 6:00 PM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
First thanks to everyone that put this together. It's a great event. Next time let's start with more time xD

Thanks lots @linkhimura for the recommendations. I had one of them bookmarked to watch so I'm currently watching that and so far it has been good. I'm enjoying it~

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jan 2, 2016 6:07 PM

Jul 2015
Thank you Santas!

rawr97 and tingy, great job on the sets, they look fantastic!
SharpClaws - Great recommendation, Bitter Virgin is interesting because it's pitched from a more realistic angle than most stuff I read. Thanks for the change of pace!
Jan 2, 2016 6:28 PM

Jun 2014
Thanks, OParadise, for the lovely recs. :) I'm a few episodes into both Hataraku Maou-sama and Kokoro Connect, and I'm enjoying both. I hope you got a present equally as good as the one you gave.

Thanks also to tingy for the review options. I haven't started it just yet, but I'm very interested in Hoozuki no Reitetsu.

This whole event was wonderful. Thank you to all the hardworking little elves that made it happen.
Jan 2, 2016 6:36 PM

Jun 2015
Many thanks Silent_Boots for recommending Ping Pong:The Animation. I would've never started watching it myself, which is the best kind of rec there is. But as a sports anime baka, as a fan of great writing, and as a proponent of unique styles of animation (the way illustration style is so unique) I find it to be fantastic. Haven't gotten the chance to finish more than 4 eps. but I'm planning on finishing it all next weekend.

Thanks so much for this fun event, everyone ! Especially the hardworking volunteers. You guys rock !! (^_^)
Avatar is art by the amazing Koyamori: http://koyamori.deviantart.com
(A.K.A. Maruti Bitamin: http://maruti-bitamin.tumblr.com/ )
Jan 2, 2016 6:58 PM

Mar 2014
Thank you Asterisk6 for the recommendation. I was never intending to read/watch Akira, but thanks to you I have. I'm actually enjoying it, even though I've only completed the first volume.
Jan 2, 2016 7:15 PM

Mar 2012
Thanks MAYUKA I KNEW IT WAS YOU BTW
I got that gut feeling
Good golly I am so smart.

Anyway, I'm done one of the recs and I have to read the other one.
Jan 2, 2016 7:20 PM

Jul 2012
tit said:
Thanks MAYUKA I KNEW IT WAS YOU BTW
I got that gut feeling
Good golly I am so smart.

Anyway, I'm done one of the recs and I have to read the other one.
NP LOL it's obvious since they're both my faves >w<

ohh which one did you finish?? :O
Jan 2, 2016 7:39 PM

Aug 2015
this was a fun event. i would like to thank my santa for recommending those anime to me.

p,s, i kinda cheated and guessed who my santa was due to how they wrote me a synopsis about each anime and how they liked it, so i looked at all the participants and saw who had all the boxes ticked and i guessed correctly.

i feel sorry to my recipient. we were polar opposites so it was hard to find what he would really like, i hope my choice wasn't too bad.

i also look forward to this event happening in 2016.
14clock3Jan 2, 2016 11:20 PM
My hot seat: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1582823
watch me be a huge noob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vav-Cb1biI

megaminx+pyraminx :)
Jan 2, 2016 9:25 PM

Jun 2015
Thanks a lot @fillyy for the rec. Im in the middle of it but its good so far. I dont usually go for old-style art but i like Akira a lot more than i thought i would.

I'll also participate this year too, it was really fun.

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Jan 2, 2016 10:09 PM

Sep 2010
Thank you so much Reimillya for recommending me Shirobako! I've had that series sitting on the back burner for a while since I wasn't too sure how interested I'd be in it. I'm a couple episodes in and I'm already engrossed. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying it so far.
Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Jan 2, 2016 10:12 PM

May 2012
I wrote this on the other thread about a week ago because I couldn't wait to say how much I liked my gift lol.
Mkay said:
I said I wouldn't mind a troll picture and I'm so happy that I did that cuz my secret santa defintely made me laugh with the profile pic they made for me, 10/10 thanks for that. I also liked the sig too, i just resized it before using it, hope you don't mind : )
Jan 2, 2016 10:24 PM
Feb 2013
It was a really fun event, thanks all elves for your hard work!
Daconator, thanks for the rec! I finished Casshern Sins, and the athmosphere and backgrounds were amazing. I also liked the stories told in each episode in first half. The ending was okay, but I guess I liked the first half more. Anyway it was pretty good overall, thank you again. ^^ oh and I finished Hajime no Ippo in one night and now it's my favourite anime ever! :P
tingy, thanks for your recommendations, I never heard of kyousougiga before, and it was very fun, I loved the fast pace and craziness a lot! It was very enjoyable, although I watched the ONAs first and I liked them more to be honest, I guess you prefer the TV series. As for Uchouten Kazoku, I was thinking of watching this because of the author of the book and Kumeta character drawings, but I wasn't sure yet. Anyway, my girlfriend thought it was interesting so we are watching it together now so it's a bit slow and i'm halfway and the setting is so weird! Why are people eating creatures that are exactly like humans!? And why is that guy in love with his father's murderer!? Oh well, I guess it's not supposed to make sense. It's pretty fun as well, don't think I'm complaining. Awesome recs, thanks a lot!
And Cookies, I'm glad you like it so far, I wasn't sure what to suggest because you pretty much watched or are planning to watch my favourite comedy anime and your other likes were things I don't usually watch so it was kind of hard for me.
Jan 2, 2016 10:44 PM
Feb 2015
Thanks to -saichi- and LastChapter (surprised I got the Manga DB Moderator to give me a Recommendation)... I finished my Manga Recommendation and It was pretty damn good... now I just have to Start and Finish my Anime Recommendations
Jan 2, 2016 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
Thank you very much to all of the moderators for all of the hard work!!! I enjoyed this event very much. It was my first time, but I'll definitely participate next year as well!
Jan 2, 2016 11:03 PM

Jun 2013
Alright, I want to thank both peterzhu2118 and tingy for the reccomendations! Unfirtunately I haven't had the technical support to finish them yet, but both Tari Tari and Ano natsu de matteru look like exactly what I was loking for. Thanks a lot :D
Jan 3, 2016 12:47 AM

Sep 2013
Thanks a lot Daconator. Th signature looks like high quality stuff.
Jan 3, 2016 1:11 AM

Dec 2015
Thanx, Cookies, for the simple yet brilliant as well as personalized forum set: one of my fav chars along with my username in L's font - as someone once told me, good idea is half the work! ;) As I promised, I put in a good word for you with Kira-sama and your name will not be written in Death Note this holiday season. He also wishes you victory in all the basketball games you may play this year. ;) I myself will simply wish loads of cookies, real and virtual. :D

Also, big thnx for the MAL stuff and elves for making this possible and sticking through it. I was surprised with the number of participants, the event was much bigger than it seemed at first. It must have been hard work to pull off on such a short notice with that mayn people involved. Special thnx to Elf-rin who was very patient and helpful with my dumb questions. ;)

I personally loved the event. As I said already, not only you get a freebie, but you get to improve on your Photoshop skills. I personally was pushed to the very brink and then some, and I'm pretty sure all of us were. And to me that was just an important a present as the image received - you will eventually change your avi/sig/profile pic, but the experience gained will remain.

As will the memory of having an awesome time with fellow fans (even more so if your recipient lovs the gift as it seems to be in my case... <3 RMisaka!)
Kono_OreJan 3, 2016 1:11 AM

Jan 3, 2016 2:16 AM

Dec 2009
Thanks to my Santa again and also thanks to the elves for all of their effort.

A great event that I'll definitely participate in again!
Jan 3, 2016 2:21 AM

Apr 2015
Props to Nyarlathothep for the set, it was pretty dope and lasted longer then the average time I use a forum set for which is quite the acheivement considering how many forum sets I go hrough on a weekly basis. Also props to Kono_Ore for making my rather gloomy day into a better one with the kind words and not getting my name written in the death note ;0
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jan 3, 2016 5:21 AM

Apr 2015
A big "Thank you" for elves and an other big one for my santa OfLove111.

And good job for everyone. I loved the event. I'll surely participate in again next year.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Profile Design (April 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - May 3

4 by Nate »»
7 hours ago

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Winners

Nate - May 1

9 by Bunnyama »»
May 4, 6:59 AM

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (May 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - May 3

0 by KarenShirotori »»
May 3, 7:57 PM

» [CLOSED] Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Voting

Nate - Apr 22

23 by Nate »»
Apr 30, 12:42 PM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (April 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Apr 21

23 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Apr 29, 11:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.