Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 25, 2013 11:22 PM
Aug 2011
Lol you can pretty much weed out the people that would probably type "Eww yaoi shit" just by reading the comments but I digress.

Oh friendship. It was melodramatic but the good kind of melodrama if there is one. 9/10

Freaking eye-candy animation. It was gorgeous.
Feb 14, 2013 8:43 PM

Dec 2011
Meados said:
My idea is that the friend (Joshima) and his father had a discussion, which made impossible make him go to Tokyo. I believe he tried to contact the author (Takada) but he wasn't able to in time. Takada decided then live the next 15 years in Tokyo. Dunno, why Joshima didn't tried to contact Takada sooner but I believe he was afraid that Takada didn't believe in his story or do not forgive him.

My (more dramatic) take is that while arguing with his father who also has the same heart disease, Joshima indirectly led to the death of his father. He then felt that he had to stay and take responsibility regarding his family's business.

Well, after watching this story for the 3rd time, I have some nagging questions I just want to get off my chest. First, how did you think Joshima knew about the problems that Takada was having with writing the Run, Melos! script?

I know earlier in the episode we had a scene where Joshima appeared in Takada's room to encourage him to continue, but that is only an illusion, he couldn't have physically been there. Is it because he has been keeping tabs on Takada via his publisher?

Second, why did you think neither of them reached out to each other throughout the 15 years? Sure, they weren't in the same city but a relatively short train ride would have done it, or a phone call even. It was only when Takada got the letter that he jumped on the journey. If it has been causing him so much pain over the years, why didn't Takada demand an explanation from Joshima. Joshima too, why wouldn't he offer to explain himself? If he was afraid Takada would not believe him or hate him all the same, surely leaving Takada entirely in the dark would be the worse thing to do, from either perspectives. I just don't understand why Takada could have forgiven him so easily in the end, even when I as the viewer can't yet get over what Joshima did.

If everything is just human nature, the fear of being rejected, then it is such a waste. A wasted friendship and wasted suffering.
tsukigariFeb 14, 2013 8:49 PM
Live forever, or die trying
Mar 2, 2013 1:11 PM

Nov 2011
Dat ending. Well, this episode sure was powerful.
Jun 17, 2013 3:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This was such a beautiful and powerful story about friendship and trust. So well directed and put together too. I'm in awe.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 1, 2013 11:36 AM

Jun 2013
Definitely in my opinion the best arc.
Sure it may have a sappy conclusion unlike all the depressing arcs in this series, but holy crap, was this good. Run Melos 10/10 in my books. Also to be honest, I may get the book after this.
Aug 14, 2013 4:30 AM

Aug 2012
I can't contain these feels
Sep 10, 2013 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
Holy shit. This is EASILY my favorite arc/episode of the bunch. Hell, these past 2 episodes are 2 of the best episode I have EVER seen. 10/10 for the arc, 9/10 overall.

I hope the last 2 arcs are at least half as good as this one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 8, 2013 8:50 PM

Mar 2012
Hmm just felt like Takada was way too sensitive about the whole thing, I mean I understand why he's so pissed off but bawling his eyes out was a tad too much. Overall looked great and the story was interesting but not as much as the previous arcs have been for me.
Dec 13, 2013 5:16 AM

Oct 2013
So gay...
Dec 27, 2013 7:09 AM

Oct 2009
For me this Arc was the lamest and most boring one. It was the 1st time I ever gave an episode a 1/5 .
It really was painful to wait for it to end.
Gib [img] plz
Jan 24, 2014 8:39 PM

Apr 2012
gotta admit almost cried

That was great. I loved the the way this one was animated. Everyone's actions were greatly exaggerated which made it feel even more emotional. I'll go ahead and say that this was my favorite arc.
Feb 21, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2014
They were gay and love each other. One of the best shounen ai stories ever animated. :')
F0XFIRE said:
OP 4 most butthurt bitch on MAL.

Apr 27, 2014 8:50 PM

Sep 2012
It didn't exactly make me tear up or cry, but this arc was pretty great.

Moonfrost said:
WHAT? I didn't enjoy this arc at all. I don't really know why but yaoi isn't just the thing for me. It made me irritated when I saw the writer and the actor in bed getting all emotional like they were lovers and such. All I know is that it's not the best arc but it was still quite good.

Okay so I didn't really get the "Wait or keep someone waiting" part. Heck, they didn't even say anything about why the actor didn't show up in the train station 15 years ago. In the end, it looked like the writer was the one at fault. Why is that?

I think the play was better than the love story of the writer and the actor, but that's just me. I loved how the king and the soldiers were all on the stage and Melos showed up in the back with the audience. The whole theatre is their stage, lol.
Congratulations on being the dumbest user in the thread.
May 21, 2014 1:15 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, really moving, I was entranced by all of it. The art especially stood out to me in this arc. I really loved the parallel, it was amazing. Maybe my favorite arc, if not second.

Jun 15, 2014 3:12 PM
Dec 2011
most favorite one if not after "no longer human"
Jun 22, 2014 5:37 AM

Mar 2013
10/10 for this one... or maybe 9.5/10. Either way, the best arc along with No Longer Human and Kokoro.

Again, it was certainly a very good thing that it used Mouryou no Hako's animation style and music.
HarlequinaJun 22, 2014 12:17 PM
Aug 28, 2014 2:50 AM

Jan 2014
Really intense, my favorite arc so far.
In the end, the true hero, our Melos, is the writer. So that means that trust and hope can never die.
Nov 21, 2014 10:15 AM

Dec 2013
Amazing story.

Although I wonder to myself, do such trust and friendship exist in the real world?
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Mar 4, 2015 4:21 AM

Dec 2013
Wow, just wow. So beautiful, complex and artistic. My favorite story.
Apr 27, 2015 6:20 AM

Jun 2008
This arc was really interesting and entertaining to watch! The ending almost makes me cry ;'( Turns out all along the author is the one who is making his friend wait not the other way around. I really like how they added the play in the story to represent them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2015 4:14 PM

Oct 2014
This arc was truly beautiful, the way they represented the story of Melos in contrast with that of the author is truly masterful.
" Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future. "
Cloud Atlas
Jun 5, 2015 9:00 PM

Jun 2013
amazing ... one of the best things ever made in anime
Jun 18, 2015 5:09 AM
Nov 2014
Damn dat second half of this episode was superb in every way possible xD, this was a great arc.
Jul 4, 2015 11:40 AM

Jan 2010
That was amazing.

I don't know what else to say. It was like watching a Satoshi Kon film, but with theatrics and introspection. That was just amazing.
Jul 7, 2015 5:35 PM

Nov 2012
Farabeuf said:
This was such a beautiful and powerful story about friendship and trust. So well directed and put together too. I'm in awe.
Agreed,for an arc I wasn't expected anything from this was the best arc yet 10/10.
Jul 11, 2015 11:57 PM

Jul 2011
I absolutely loved the scene where Melos was battling with the bandits on the desk! The blend of his imagination, reality, and the intensity of the situation is really emphasized. I love the technique used.

The parallelism and juxtapositioning... Then he got a letter from Joushima (nice timing, but w/e!), and when he bolted out that door and went to Joushima... RUN, TAKADA! You better RUN! My favorite arc. Just loved it. The specs were gorgeous too. The brotherhood and intense display of drama and love were excellent. No sexual love here people, just intense feelings of deep affection and friendship.

My heart... I'm applauding this. I wish this was a movie so I could rate it separately. :/
MirorinJul 12, 2015 12:02 AM
Aug 13, 2015 2:25 PM

Apr 2014
Best arc. Definitely.
Aug 25, 2015 4:18 AM

Feb 2015
Damn this chapter... so beautiful *wipes tear*
Sep 5, 2015 4:52 AM

Aug 2014
More like Yaoi Bungaku...
Nov 21, 2015 11:38 AM

Aug 2013
It will be so hard to rate is as whole series.
I loved 1st arc, and Kokoro. This one was good too, but rest wasn't.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 27, 2015 6:00 PM

Jul 2015
Great arc, this one and No Longer Human are my favorites.
Dec 31, 2015 10:52 PM

Nov 2014
I wish they saved this arc for last. I don't see how it can get better than this. The way the different setpieces were intercut, all while maintaining a strong sense of humanity and emotion, was amazing.
Jan 8, 2016 12:19 PM

Nov 2012
After the previous psychological and depressing arcs. This one really soothed the heart of the viewers. What a heartwarming series.
Apr 23, 2016 5:33 AM

Apr 2015
wait, why did Joushima broke his own promise? I failed to get the feel because of this one.
Apr 23, 2016 7:35 AM
Jan 2016
Everyone who sees yaoi in this episode should never have friends. I don't envy your friends, guys.
Apr 27, 2016 7:03 AM

Jun 2013
This arc was just beautiful and so far my favorite. I literally cried near the ending. Run Melos and No Longer Human makes me want to read Osamu Dazai's works.
Apr 27, 2016 11:53 PM

Jun 2015
Sabermon said:
So he is gay for his friend?

Worst arc. All of his worries have easy solutions. He is probably the only one over exaggerating about this ordeal.

Anyway, I thought the play was more entertaining that the writer's story.

That's totally my opinion +1
Jun 3, 2016 1:15 PM

Aug 2014
This was a very beautifully made short story.
The animation, the story and the characters also the directing were all great, I liked the style of the storytelling in this arc.
Best arc so far.
Jun 17, 2016 9:26 AM

Jul 2012
Oh my god, I'm crying. Yeah, when I rewatch this series in the future, this two parter is on the highest priority. So amazing. I didn't like part 1 that much but this just...Blew me away.
Jun 21, 2016 8:49 PM

Jul 2014
The intrinsic good of people sure is a nice thing in the world, and this arc only surpassed my expectations in conveying that. This one touched me on a personal level, considering my stubborn inability to place trust in others.

I particularly enjoyed Melos' confrontation with the bandits being played out on Takeda's desk. Not only was it a good blend of reality/story which manages to seamlessly transform otherwise meaningless objects into terrain used to play out the scene, it also appropriately displays Takeda's emotional strife as he struggles to complete the transcript while remembering distant memories of his friend. It also marks the transition of Melos' character, from being a representation of Joshima to being a representation of Takeda, as both protagonists at this point lose hope in seeing through their objectives (Though this is solely my interpretation). It's in my opinion the strongest scene in the entire story, as it's jammed with all sorts of narrative elements working in synchronization with one another; one could go into raptures about it.

"Melos isn't coming". Goosebumps.

Parallelism also comes into play here as we see for ourselves how precisely Melos and Takeda resemble each other at this point in the story, as Melos "kicks away dogs and jumps across small rivers" as Takeda frantically waits in the train almost to the point of implosion, urging the train to speed up, as Melos' is doing the same. Not to mention Takeda's reunion with his Joshima, which does an beautiful job in speaking for itself.

As for why Joshima never showed up to the station, maybe it had to do with his disease, and his father being too much of an indomitable figure.

I'd be typing forever if I don't stop myself now. I look at this arc with such reverence it's not even funny. Never would I have thought such a simple concept would strike me so hard. Well fucking done, my favorite arc by far, even reaching farther than No Longer Human.
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Jun 27, 2016 12:03 PM

Aug 2014
My favorite arc in the series.
Probably because this is more straight-forward and cheerful in my opinion.
Dec 28, 2016 9:10 AM
Apr 2015
this was the best arc yet
Jan 27, 2017 3:10 PM

Nov 2007
yes,definitely my favourite
ngl i cried. During their reunion and also the scene where the kid gives sensei the watch. I was like "don't tell me it's the watch,i am going to cry"...it was the watch,and i cried.
also,good job Konomi-sensei:')

(something is telling me,that some of those people who said that this arc sucked would be like "masterpiece!" as well if one of the guys was a woman.....)
May 8, 2017 9:41 PM

Jul 2009
Dang, so this story was written by the same author as No Longer Human :O Anyway the conclusion gave me so many feels! Melos fighting the bandits on Takada's desk was a great idea. Again, the parallels really drew me in here. When he saw Joushima in his room asking if he had finished it ... goosebumps! Of course I suspected it was just all in his end ... except then of course I wondered how he knew at the end :P I can't believe he just ran off like that once he got the letter but it shows how close he considered him huh? I'm surprised Joushima didn't say more at the end except to ask how the play ended - and in the end they were reunited but not how I thought it would happen. I'm guessing that Joushima's father died after they had their argument and that's why he felt he couldn't go to Tokyo with Takada. Really touching how he kept the watch for so long and Takada got it back in the end ... but yeah, really loved the storytelling in this arc and of course the animation was really good as well! Definitely one of the best ones so far :)
Jul 16, 2017 5:07 AM

Sep 2016
Love how Melos was fighting on the desk while the main character was writing his story & how suddenly the actor friend was playing the role of Melos to express the main character’s struggle towards trust.
The way they directed this arc was brilliant. Really enjoyed every minute of these 2 eps!

It’s kinda hard to believe that “Run, Melos!” was created by the same author of “No Longer Human”.

I’m not gonna comment on the thread of ep#12 cuz only “Run, Melos!” & “Kokoro” are my favorites among the series.

Run, Melos! 10/10
Kokoro 9/10
Aug 23, 2017 6:25 AM

May 2016
If this was a movie I would have gave 10/10 damn I haven't watched something like in a long time, as I'm writing this I cry like little kid ;-; this was defiantly a masterpiece.
Nov 2, 2017 1:32 AM

May 2014
Very interesting way to tell the story of Hashire Melos. Hashire Melos is one of the few stories that 5th graders in Japan will always read. This was a nice way to remember that story.
May 20, 2018 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
This one is my favorite so far, I'm crying!

"Is it painful to be the person who waits? Or is it more painful to be the person who makes others wait? Either way, there's no need to wait anymore. That's what is most painful."

An unfulfilled promise, warm feelings, trust and betrayal, sad feelings, years of separation, longing, attachment, regrets, resentment, a last meeting before the final hour and a memento symbolizing the mutual bond they once shared. It was all so beautiful and moving, I loved it.

The way the play, the memories and the present time overlapped with each other, the soundtrack, the pacing, the direction, the art, the character designs, the plot, the heartbreaking conclusion, it was all SO dramatically good!
May 23, 2018 6:30 AM

Aug 2017
Amazing conclusion.

First of all, the animation is gold. This helped when they switched scenes again.

The story was sad. I thought that this will be a romance but it end as friendship. This is drama done well. 9/10.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 23, 2018 7:53 AM

Apr 2009
Very mature story. This is a hidden gem.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

186 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 9:29 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 11 Discussion

Tiago97 - Oct 14, 2012

48 by Etherius_ZS »»
Sep 19, 2023 8:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.