I will question my sanity before watching any anime that has two (one if rom-com) or more of the genres below...
2. Romance or Rom-Com.
Anime with the above tags that don't have a single male character in it are excluded because they are less annoying than the ones with guys in it.
I judge (or rate if you must) anime based on...
- The first half of the anime. If it doesn't interest me enough or I get bored very quickly... dropped.
- The amount of action in it.
- Epic goosebump moments +1 point. (please do not click that link if you havent watched Gurren Lagann!)
- Hype inducing over the top flashy fight scenes or anything with hype inducing transformation scenes +2 points.
- The story especially the ending if action doesn't exist.
- How likeable the characters are if action and plot doesn't exist.
- The music and lastly the animation but thankfully i haven't found an anime without action, plot and likeable characters... yet. - Sometimes if in CGI I prioritize the action and obviously animation over anything else.
- Anime with unsatisfactory or Panty and Stocking endings -1 point.
- Anime with wimpy or annoying MCs -1 point.
- Anime with hidden Romance tag -1 to -5 points unless the action or mindfunk completely overshadows it.
How I see MAL's rating system
- Here's how an anime gets a 10 on my list...
- Every episode has tons of GOOD action.
- No annoying character(s).
- Every episode is extremely funny (if it has a comedy tag).
- Completely funks my mind (if it has psychological and/or friends tag).
- Has a very satisfying ending, no cliffhangers, no twists (unless a mindfunking one), no nothing, just an end that makes you feeling happy or wanting more.
- No building relationships. (family is okay obviously).
- No kissing (except from family, not even a bleeding peck).
- No love (Please no incest).
- No shipping (I rarely ship and an anime without a romance tag trying to force me to ship is even worse)
- No crushes (I don't care if some badass we all know and love does something that makes a girl weak in the knees).
- No one's parts going into anyone, not even if a said part has blue balls.
- No hand holding (except, yes, family)
- If the above are met, it gets a 10 and if I have time, I'll rewatch.
- Yes, I watch anime only for the action, the occasional laughs and maybe some mindfunks here and there. I have Netflix and soaps for romance.
- There are only very few anime that are 10s in my list because its soo hard to find good 'not even the slightest hint of romance' anime these days.
- Before you go "But you have Gurren Lagann at 10, you monster!!!" That doesn't count. The non-stop OTT action and its general epicness completely overshadows the almost non-existent romance in that show.
- Heck MLP doesn't have romance. I know right! You would think a show apparently made for little girls that teaches the magic of friendship would have romance, right? Hehe, well it doesn't. Notthatthisisrelevant.
- Right, the above gives off a "Oh look, a sad lonely old guy!" vibe, right? WRONG! Anime and IRL are obviously different, IRL romance I honestly do not mind, anime romances on the other hand are just plain annoying and they make me almost want to drop them.
- This mostly falls on those that could be 10 material but were ruined either by (yup, you got it) romance of any form, unsatisfying ending, that one annoying character or not enough GOOD action but I might consider rewatching if time permits.
- Sometimes, when I'm not being stupid anime WITH a romance tag can get here but only if it has the makings of a 10.
- This falls on anime that had a fantastic start then ended in a way I didn't like or didn't excite me as much as the start did.
- Anime with GOOD action but not on every episode regardless of the story fall here.
- Movies or anime with really good story and action but were ruined by a wimpy or plain annoying MC fall here too.
- Here, it follows 8, fantastic start then crashed at the end followed with typical annoyances like roma-- nah, I'm sure you got it by now, annoying MCs etc.
- The plot did not make sense like a flying cow in a sports anime or I did not understand a part at all but the action was great.
- Also a character or a couple I liked died for absolutely no reason at all regardless of how good the anime is can fall here.
- Sometimes an anime can fall here if I'm not sure what rating to give it cause i liked it and disliked it at the same due to something in the story or a certain character.
- Here are where most average anime fall in, okay action, okay plot, okay animation, its more like "Ehh? It was okay, I'll drop it here, It's not good but it's not bad either."
- Sometimes an anime I had really high hopes for but was ruined by a specific arc/part in the story, little to no action or you know what falls here.
- Here, the anime would have been fantastic but it left me feeling disappointed, it could've definitely could've done better... maybe in the story, ending, length of the show, the art or its characters.
- Here I absolutely do not like the anime, it was boring, I found a couple of characters/parts REALLY annoying or the whole anime annoyed me, making me wonder why I didn't just drop it in first place.
- Here, the anime was weird and unbearably annoying, its a miracle I didn't drop it.
- Some ecchi specials fall here either because they try to arose the viewer by using these scenes but they just end up making you feel awkward or its just plain bad.
- Sometimes, I have to use willpower to plough through it, if I stupidly refuse to drop.
- This? Well, I waste too much time wondering why I watched such a horrible, HORRIBLE thing.
- Huh? This exists? Well, who ever made this anime must've been mad... no not mad, really drunk or really high or both. They must've just got out of bed one day and thought... "Hello world! Lets see what anime my drunk, high and seriously messed up mind can come up with" and voila an abomination was born.