Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 18, 2017 4:26 AM

Apr 2013
Fai said:
Zefyris said:

I'll point out that at the end of episode 1, Beatrice completely changed her voice while on the phone , speaking with a guy's voice. She isn't simply your average servant, seems like she has interesting skills. Or is that an item she's hiding under her scarf that help do that, we see her doing something there before changing back her voice.

Its also weird how when Duke's spygirl is about to search Ange and Dorothy, Princess specifically looks at Beatrice. What would she expect of her there?

It's unclear if she looks at her servant or beyond her (at the two peoples that are going to be body checked, or at the woman passing near beatrice to go check on them) though. I'd say she followed with her eyes the woman passing by rather than look at beatrice.
ZefyrisJul 18, 2017 4:30 AM
Jul 18, 2017 6:08 PM

Dec 2016
Really liking this series with all of its surprises!
Jul 19, 2017 2:37 AM

Sep 2016
loving this show so far eps was intense and definitely made the viewer pay attention closely the spy aspect of this show is amazing definitely looking forward to this series i wonder how many eps this will be tho
Facta Non Verba
Jul 19, 2017 3:11 AM

Mar 2013
This series really getting good and more interesting now... That revelation in the end tho'

Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 19, 2017 4:25 PM

Sep 2015
another amazing episode. Dat princess was unexpected. man I really love this anime! Can't believe I forgot to watch this episode on time. Won't make that mistake ever again.

It's interesting to see that's how the princess joined the spy group. Maybe a background main plot is true. This became that much more interesting. definitely can't wait for next ep!
zcv45Jul 19, 2017 6:55 PM
Jul 19, 2017 6:02 PM

Feb 2017
neonie said:
So in case anyone didn't catch it. Episode 1 was "Case 13".
This episode was "Case 01".

This show is awesome and fascinating and I love it.

No, I didn't but now I get it. I was going to mention "airing the episodes out of order", and I see that was the case all along.
"I am not a Mochi Monster" - Nyanko Sensei
Jul 19, 2017 10:43 PM

Oct 2014
now... how to get this piece of gem right here more views
Jul 20, 2017 11:00 AM

Jun 2016
Daamn, that OP. The visuals and the song were awesome! Looks like a good anime so far.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Jul 20, 2017 1:35 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Interesting episode
Using this episode as a means to introduce the characters properly by showing how they all met was a great move on the directors part. The revelation of Princess's ambition sure was surprising. And the manner of how all four girls met sure was unexpected.

Ange's first introduction to the academy though was cute and her clumsiness only enhanced this. As operations go this plan to switch a princess with Ange sure is ambitious. Looks like the military isn't too keen on the work of the spy agency that the girls work for though. Dorothy's true age sure was surprising. Infiltrating a ball though is a classic. Hell of a time to get new orders though. Hmm so that was the direct approach eh lol. I guess its to be expected that the duke will have a bodyguard detail with him. Ange's approach to get close to princess by making friends with her was the right one though. Beatrice and Princess's attitudes actually contrast pretty well with each other. Ange's plan though sure was a smart one though thats for sure. Plus it killed two birds with one stone as Ange puts it. With Ange's skill at disguise and changing personas i think the operation really has a decent chance.

Ange really is adapt a wide variety of skills though thats for sure. Watching her ferret out the info that she needs is entertaining. The challenge here is not getting the key but getting the key without being detected by Normandy's men. Wow the princess really is smart in managing to figure out Ange and Dorothy's true identities. Beatrice's reaction was cute as always. To think that princess had that ambition in her though. And that she's willing to use spies from the west to help her achieve her dream. The duke of Normandy really has that sinister look about him thats for sure. To think that they were out thought by the duke though. It was also nice seeing not just whats happening with Ange's group but also into the command group as well. The princess really likes to gamble though which is unexpected of her. Hmm the last scene sure was unexpected so the two of them know each other eh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2017 7:27 PM

Feb 2017
Definitely best anime for this season!!
Now we got some back story before episode 1 (case 13) was happen.
I know not everyone like how the prologue or introducing aspect from first episode. But with this plotting, everything become more interesting and have some kind of................ omg, im curious and going to watch the next episode!!!
The Spy action and mind game was great. The main character made this series more enjoy and attractive, or maybe the most reason we enjoy the series.

Really glad to wait next episode!

In the other hand, im a bit nervous that this series will turn into boring because they are gonna get out of back story and character build up.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jul 21, 2017 9:21 AM

Jul 2015
Story is a bit confusing, but very interesting. Wasn't expecting that from the Princess, caught me off-guard, my heart is weak "against" characters with that personality. So far so good, excited for the next episode.
Jul 21, 2017 10:21 AM

Jan 2016
Excuse me, but can anyone explain me all that business with blueprints.
Commonwealth is the west. Kingdom is the east. Westerner FACM Morgan stole blueprints from the west and wanted to sold them to the east. Right?
But why? They talk about him defecting to the east with his wife in order to live in Cornwall. Isn't Cornwall is western county? What is Morgan's problem? And why military guy in western spy council talk about potential war with northern Europe?
I just don't understand what is going on. Please, help.
Jul 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Jun 2010
ChrisMarlowe said:
Excuse me, but can anyone explain me all that business with blueprints.
Commonwealth is the west. Kingdom is the east. Westerner FACM Morgan stole blueprints from the west and wanted to sold them to the east. Right?
But why? They talk about him defecting to the east with his wife in order to live in Cornwall. Isn't Cornwall is western county? What is Morgan's problem? And why military guy in western spy council talk about potential war with northern Europe?
I just don't understand what is going on. Please, help.

-If it's discovered the West has Blueprints of an illegal airship design, it could start a war.
-It's noted when Ange is dancing with Morgan that his lungs sound bad, meaning that he doesn't have much time left to live. He doesn't have a problem with the West or the East, he just wants money so he can spend the rest of his (short) life living with his family and give them a nest egg.
Jul 21, 2017 10:56 AM

Jan 2016
neonie,
- But military guy doesn't talk about war between two Englands, but about war with European countries or even world war. I can imagine, that commonwealth and the crown have very strict peace treaty going on. But it has been established already, that Britain is the world's dominant military power thanks to its magical air fleet. So there shouldn't be such thing, as Illegal design. Might makes right.
- "I can help your wife defect to the Cornwall" says "the princess". And they never even mention money.

By the way, isn't it incredibly stupid, that Morgan decided to ditch the most powerful eastern spymaster for some random princess, who, as far as he knows, have zero political influence?
Jul 22, 2017 2:38 PM

Feb 2008
An intriguing turn of events. So Ange and the Princess share a common past, and to such an extent.
Jul 22, 2017 6:34 PM

Mar 2015
SUPERB! The characters and world building are really taking off. Art, voices, story are really solid. Looking forward to next week!
The sword that takes life gives life
Jul 22, 2017 7:05 PM

Mar 2009
sasalx said:
The twist at the end was so good.

FukGoBack said:
Ok guys I understand that ange and Charlotte switced places at some point in the past, but I'm confused as to why at the end Charlotte and ange are so friendly w/ one another and why they had to keep it a secret from the other two.
If the real Ange wanted to become queen, wouldn't that go against and spark a red flag for real Charlotte. Why are they working together?Is real Ange manipulating them and there's nothing to be done about it?

Might just be overthinking this btw, I do that a lot.🤓

From what I get in this episode they were childhood firend so probably both of them are noble. I think we will see why they switched in later episodes. I don't think any of them want to become the Queen. They just want to win the war.

Also for curious people here the letter at the end:

Thanks for posting the full details of the letter!

neonie said:
So in case anyone didn't catch it. Episode 1 was "Case 13".
This episode was "Case 01".

This show is awesome and fascinating and I love it.

Awesome. I didn't catch that, either.

Great follow-up to the first episode. This show continues to be very intriguing and the revelation at the end caught me off guard. One thing I've noticed so far is that each episode has a very strong ending.

BTW, Dorothy sure is sexy. Wow.
Jul 22, 2017 9:03 PM

Feb 2013
That ending... Ange is the real princess? Mind blown!

It didn't take me long to realize this episode was before the first one. Great, intense episode again.
Jul 22, 2017 11:17 PM
Dec 2015
Duke called princess "Charlotte" and then princess called Ange "Charlotte". Ange and Princess look similar so one can pretend to be the other. Show is called Princess Principal. I bet Ange is actually the real princess and she is trying to take over her country with the help of it's enemies because she is 4th in line. And for 10 years, her friend was taking her place while she was working for other country to gain trust.
Jul 24, 2017 12:02 PM

Dec 2015
Interesting, this flashback (or rather "first case"). I wasn't expecting a game of deception relying on double agents and identity switches.
Still annoyed by the need of spy kiddies but it's good to see the series trying to justify it so soon.

3.5+/5 The more I watch, the more the visual discordance between the (young and less young) female characters type of face and all the other things (male faces, objects, background) looks ugly to me.

Out-of-topic: the french "simulcaster" has classified it as a seinen/shôjô hybrid, just because it features young girls. XD

@CodeBlazeFate Since you liked Turn A's female case of "The Prince and the Pauper" and Code Geass' hero masterplan, you might want to check this. (though you might dislike the non-chronological approach it seems willing to take).

Fai said:
"They just want to win the war."

There is no war right now though.

Maybe they're using the term as in the Cold War (because of the analog situation).
Jul 26, 2017 12:43 PM

Feb 2007
Now that was an unexpected revelation at the end...
Jul 27, 2017 10:07 AM

Jul 2009
I did not expect that! I was thinking Princess was damn smart, but no, Ange did a great move!
Jul 28, 2017 3:27 PM

Oct 2012
Background ep how their group came to be was actually pretty nice. And I like how Ange and Charlotte switched their names.

Still, even though the plot was pretty good they are still way too obvious as spies, too many times acting in the center of attention. They would probably be found right away. Well, anime logic but if this don't get any worse I'm willing to take some liberties.
Jul 29, 2017 10:00 AM
Mar 2012
Dresses & bgs so nice, & those weird armor plates.
The gadget designs & secret hand motions were great.
Oh 10 year reunion in the East/Normandy it seems. Ange & Princess Charlotte swapped, but Ange works for West officially tho a double agent, and Princess also a spy mentioned in ep1 I think. So somehow West or someone wants to gain rulership of the East from the inside?
Ange says they're not assassins, but she still killed that poor chap in ep1, a major difference with the avoidance of killing in Joker Game.
Jul 30, 2017 7:07 PM

Dec 2009
Oh my god this anime dos not disappoint.

This scene sent shivers up my spine, it was so goood omg!

I am loving this shit to no end holy hell.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 1, 2017 5:36 AM
Nov 2016
sasalx said:
The twist at the end was so good.

for curious people here the letter at the end:

Thank you so much for this!

And, as everyone's been saying: this anime is amazing! Truly stellar! Four episodes in and I already feel the need to rewatch everything to see how it all fits together!

I hope we get some epilogues or breather episodes alongside the main plot as well, at least between Ange and Charlotte.
Aug 9, 2017 10:56 AM

Jun 2013
I had to watch this twice as well. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, considering that Oukouchi Ichirou is writing this series (the guy whose main priorities are gratuitous twists and "rule of cool" moments instead of making any sense - without a hint of self awareness)... But I'm enjoying it so far.

Also, I am the worst trash; I'm already shipping Action Princess with Fake Princess. I know I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I can't help it. Someone send help...

Now I can't even look at OP without viewing them in that light.

LeeTailorAug 9, 2017 11:34 AM
Aug 19, 2017 4:26 AM

Jun 2016
This episode showed how Ange and the princess became friends, right? But what are they to each other ten years ago? So, Ange's real name is Charlotte?

This episode is pretty badass. I liked it.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 1, 2017 5:41 AM

Dec 2015
And here I thought the Princess was cunning as hell xD
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 2, 2017 10:27 PM

Jan 2016
Princess is Ange's what? O.o
Oct 14, 2017 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
So now is the time for explanations and presentations. Well, there may also be the fact that to do this the narrative pace must be much more peaceful, however the narrative can be intriguing thanks to the scenes seen during the whole episode and thanks again to the great charisma of Ange and Dorothy too. But the quality of the drawings has dropped quite a bit. Great ending, I really like it.
Dec 17, 2017 7:19 PM

Sep 2008
Ah, first episode was action opening. Now it is time to head to fancy ball for some backstory and intrigue! And apparently this is the real first episode. I wonder if that previous episode is going to have very different meaning at the end of the series?
Jan 18, 2018 3:38 AM

Mar 2015
Interesting, I really like where this is going!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 1, 2018 7:47 AM

May 2012
Nice to see that they jumped back in time to tell us a bit more regarding the character setting! Really lovely, a bit weird though they jumped back in time without any direct clues or started with this episode, but on the other hand this does make it a bit more interesting to mix it up!

All in all a pretty solid episode, let's see what's next.
Apr 4, 2018 7:14 PM

Sep 2011
I wasn't entirely sold on the first episode, more just curious... but now they've got me with this one. Honestly, I think they would have been better off if they had started the story here, but I get why they didn't... I just don't agree with the reasoning.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Sep 15, 2018 6:53 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I am quite happy with the series so far. The art is nicely done as is the ED which features each of the characters singing on it. Well done!
Nov 18, 2018 9:11 PM

May 2018
So the Princess (Charlotte) is actually the original Ange and Ange is actually the original Princess Charlotte. Great episode 5/5.
Feb 13, 2019 3:05 PM

Feb 2012
Did they look closer when they were switched?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 22, 2019 3:10 PM

Sep 2014
Nice episode again. Bunch of lovely but dangerous girls. Seems there is some greater story as well.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 3, 2019 2:35 PM

Jun 2014
This is getting a bit more interesting. The princess is certainly more sly than one would think.

Jul 23, 2019 1:51 AM

Aug 2017
I think that I need to watch this show in chronological order cuz i'm a bit lost.

So, Ange and the Princess are the same? I really liked this twist.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 25, 2020 1:16 PM

Jul 2017
That was a good episode with some damning twists at times, especially with the very end when it came to Ange and the Princess Charlotte and their identities and relationship. The production value was a bit low in this episode, with some frames looking a bit sloppy and the CG for the dancing looking incredibly stiff, as well as even some cinematography showing the girls move with the camera panning looking rough there too. But the content was pretty exciting and quite the mindfuck if you ask me but its entertaining.

The dub is still a bit weird since I can confirm in my head, the characters look way younger than how they sound, its way too posh and faked since they sound like middle aged women while they're high school age. Still appreciate the dialogue and how its presented a lot more than the Japanese version so I'll adjust mentally with it.
May 29, 2021 2:06 AM

Dec 2020
age being able to pull that princess disguise off was no coincidence? is she actually the princess or . . ? interesting
Jun 6, 2021 10:33 PM
Oct 2019
when she pulled her dress down and her boobies nearly plopped right out i was like wtf is going on

anyways, this was a better episode than the first. some of the voices still seem to bother me, but it wasn't as bad (or i've just gotten used to it). also kind of nice to see this backstory. they felt like real people this episode and not like the caricatures they were in the first episode

everybody's a little too clever for their own good, but what can ya do...?
Jun 24, 2021 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Rewatching this to watch the movie after the series and damn, I love those sneaky bitches. Great to see "moe girls", who aren't naive or dense. ❤
Also the steampunk atmosphere and colors: great!

Jul 2, 2021 2:50 AM

Feb 2020
So, Ange is Charlotte and Charlotte is Ange. That plot twist at the end was unexpected.

SerafosJan 11, 1:11 AM
Aug 24, 2021 9:52 AM

Jul 2017
Ah of course, when distinguishing Ange and Princess Charlotte, they're one and the same. Ange is a master spy of disguise, but Charlotte is in another ball park of her own.

The first episode of its intended chronological story order, and this is a great introduction for the Principal girls spy team setting up against the Duke of Normandy.

The 3D camerawork does feel jarring, but it does provide the sense of the scene shots in tandem with the focus of the characters.

As is back then, I remember this episode was a lot better than the 1st episode due to its non-linear story plot, but re-watching this, I can greatly appreciate the show for what it is.
Aug 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Jun 2016
I hope this show doesn't shoot itself in the foot, being an original and all.

Ange is quite the actress, impersonating the Princess almost perfectly in mere minutes. To be expected tho as they are old acquaintances... Somehow.

The Duke feels like a proper menace. He could turn out to be an adequate villain for our little spies to go against. Did you know the girls were spies? I didn't, but they reminded me. Thanks show.

Nov 6, 2022 5:50 PM

Feb 2014
why did Ange tell Charlotte she was a spy?
Dec 22, 2022 4:34 AM

Dec 2022
I can't believe I missed that Ange is Charlotte and Charlotte is Ange. That one plot point where the Duke calls her by name and I nudge it off.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

102 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 17, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

205 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Thatonebadbro - Sep 24, 2017

183 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

117 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 11:43 AM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2017

141 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.