Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 27, 2017 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty chill episode especially the first half. It's the girls living their daily lives that seems pretty normal. There's much more narrative this episode than some of the others as it details Princess' past.

Ange never ceases to amaze me with her abilities. I love how she's able to punish this one guy that was harassing a girl. Not as much ass action compared to some of the other episodes but I'm fine with it. Interesting background storytelling overall between Ange and Charlotte.
Stark700Aug 27, 2017 9:01 AM
Aug 27, 2017 7:52 AM
Jul 2016
So Ange was the real Princess.

Their story is so sad.
Aug 27, 2017 8:15 AM

Aug 2013
I just love the relationship Ange and Princess have. Such good friends they are. Their story was quite depressing.

The way Ange handled that annoying guy was great. She had a calm demeanour. it was nice of her to have the little girl and others go to the orphanage.
LeoAug 27, 2017 8:18 AM

Aug 27, 2017 8:20 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I think a lot of us theorized after episode 2 that maybe Ange really was the princess but I didn't expect the truth behind it all to be like THIS

I always gave nothing but the utmost respect to Ange because of everything that she possesses in her skill set but Charlotte (Or should I say the REAL Ange) is on an entirely different level....But be that as it may, I love how kind Not Ange is and I was really happy that she helped that poor orphaned little girl and her family

Their history is really sad but Fake Charlotte is one of the strongest girls that I've ever seen....I'm beyond impressed by her determination to survive and how dedicated she was to becoming her best friend and not only keeping her friend's image alive, but making sure that she doesn't get found out either

Still, I can't help but feel like there has to be something more here because they are literally identical to one another, so that leads me to believe that maybe they're actually twins separated at birth or something....Or maybe it goes deeper than this somehow

Either way, this show continues to be brilliant week after week and its a real shame that there aren't that much people watching this....These two girls are just something else....This cast in general is just too great tbh
TokoyaAug 27, 2017 8:28 AM
Aug 27, 2017 8:27 AM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
I think a lot of us theorized after episode 2 that maybe Ange really was the princess but I didn't expect the truth behind it all to be like THIS

I always gave nothing but the upmost respect to Ange because of everything that she possesses in her skill set but Charlotte (Or should I say the REAL Ange) is on an entirely different level

Their history is really sad but Fake Charlotte is one of the strongest girls that I've ever seen....I'm beyond impressed by her determination to survive and how dedicated she was to becoming her best friend and not only keeping her friend's image alive, but also keeping herself alive too

This show continues to be brilliant week after week and its a real shame that there aren't that much people watching this

Basically this, I had a pretty good feeling that Ange was the actual princess and that they traded places somehow in the past and looks like it was true.

Props to both Charlotte and Ange for surviving and growing up the way they did.
Really liked how Ange helped those orphans who were being abused this episode. :)

The final scene with Charlotte and Ange playing the piano together was wonderful.
Aug 27, 2017 8:30 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Tokoya said:

I always gave nothing but the upmost respect to Ange because of everything that she possesses in her skill set but Charlotte (Or should I say the REAL Ange) is on an entirely different level

Their history is really sad but Fake Charlotte is one of the strongest girls that I've ever seen....I'm beyond impressed by her determination to survive and how dedicated she was to becoming her best friend and not only keeping her friend's image alive, but also keeping herself alive too

This show continues to be brilliant week after week and its a real shame that there aren't that much people watching this

Basically this, I had a pretty good feeling that Ange was the actual princess and that they traded places somehow in the past and looks like it was true.

Really liked how Ange helped those orphans who were being abused this episode. :)

The final scene with Charlotte and Ange playing the piano together was wonderful.
I love this anime so much dude
Aug 27, 2017 8:33 AM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
Lelouch0202 said:

Me too, I'm grateful you talked me into watching this. XD
Aug 27, 2017 8:34 AM

Apr 2016
If this show ever has any direction it has been lost somewhere between "spai" and "purinsesu".

But now seriously, they finally (properly) explained most important thing of this show.

Don't take my comment wrong people, this anime is 8/10 for me this season.
Aug 27, 2017 8:35 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Tokoya said:

Me too, I'm grateful you talked me into watching this. XD
Lol anytime buddy xD I just wish that more people gave this a chance
Aug 27, 2017 8:35 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Great characterization for the princess. She had to suffer really hard to get the reputation of a ''real'' princess and she still does, yet she can manage a perfect exterior to hide it.

Another nice thing was Ange helping the little girl, i think she got reminded of her past and decided to help her out.
SmudyAug 27, 2017 9:03 AM
Aug 27, 2017 8:37 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
kotobukis said:
i've always wanted to point it out btw: in the opening, did you guys notice Ange grabs Princess while everyone in the squad is also falling, then she turns around while holding Princess and points the gun at them? or did they try to make it look like she points the gun at the camera / viewers?

Either way, it looked like she points the gun at Dorothy, Chise and Bea, which is interesting...
You're not alone with that assumption

It's very possible that the OP could be foreshadowing that Ange and Charlotte will get found out by their superiors with the team being ordered to take them down

But personally I'm hoping that Dorothy and the others decide to help them instead
Aug 27, 2017 8:42 AM

Jul 2015
Really touching backstory, one of my favorite episode from this season, these two girls are amazing.

That piano scene at the end, I couldn't help but tear up there
Aug 27, 2017 8:43 AM

Jan 2015
By this point I even won't thought about who's the real princess. When it's come to the "princess' past" it's like they're just make that same story on and on. What matters right now is about their organization after all, their spy organization. Now that Ange and Charlotte have met again and they both have learned from which places they feel fit.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Aug 27, 2017 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
NO WAY!!! Unbelievable!!
So Ange is the real princess Charlotte... I didn't expected this... This anime is getting better and better.. This is anime is so underrated

Aug 27, 2017 9:41 AM

Nov 2013
Jesus christ, that's so fucked up.
Be Ange
Raised in a shitty place
Got beaten up by dudes if you don't do your job
Go to a random tunnel
Find a random ruins castle
Find a mirror of you
"Oh cool, I found a friend"

Months later
"Swap? Ok then"
Yo, your people's on fire yo.
Panic
Runaway to the ruined castle and found Princess
"Tear down this wall!" said Princess

Got split
People mistaken you as Princess

Congratulations, I'd say.
You won a prize for the fuckest fucked up ever

where you were already raised in a horrible and shitty place
and got replaced into an even shittiest place and looks like a complete different world
PLUS YOU WANT TO FULFILL YOUR GODDAMN PRINCESS' DREAM.
WHILE ACTING AS A PRINCESS

Holy shit, well done. Eleven 11 out of a fuckin ten. 11/10.
Greatest execution in this the whole show at this time of the season, I'd say.

But at the other side, MAL should change their name because of this episode LMAO
GethemalotAug 27, 2017 10:26 AM
Aug 27, 2017 9:42 AM

Sep 2012
@QuynhNhu
@joshua10red

Ep 2? We watched the same show right?

OT: Really like this episode. Backstory of both of them was interesting but I like to see Ange's backstory after revolution as well.
Aug 27, 2017 10:02 AM

Mar 2016
by far my fav episode so far. the reveal apart the princess and ange was sooooooo good
Aug 27, 2017 10:05 AM

Apr 2016
@sasalx
yes is the same show... i read some comments from ep 2...but
do you really think i read that stupid letter??? do you expect me to stop the ep and zoom just to read a letter??

Aug 27, 2017 10:08 AM

Sep 2012
joshua10red said:
@sasalx
yes is the same show... i read some comments from ep 2...but
do you really think i read that stupid letter??? do you expect me to stop the ep and zoom just to read a letter??

Well I dont expect anything since at the end you can understand even without reading it. Oh well.
Aug 27, 2017 10:11 AM

Oct 2016
So the Changling Operation can't be done because it's already been done!

What a dark twist to the fluffy Disney princess tales.
Aug 27, 2017 10:20 AM

Sep 2016
that little girl must be the worst pickpocketer i've ever seen. doing it in the very wide space, during bright day, like she is worse than swiper from dora the explorer. even swiper know how to hide and sneak!

the princess is good, Angelise-sama would be proud of her
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Aug 27, 2017 10:34 AM

Oct 2013
That Twist...those feels.
Finally the backgrounds episode we needed.

So, Ange is actually Charlotte. The real Princess.
The Princess real name is Ange, and her fake name is Charlotte.

After being separated, Charlotte (Real) used "Ange" as her fake name, because she was in fact replacing her.

They aren't sisters, they just look like each other double. (Yuri Intensifies)

This anime continues to amaze me, sad that not many persons are watching it, really underrated.
Aug 27, 2017 10:38 AM

Aug 2010
amazing ep. Really liked how they revealed it.

Now that we saw what Ange went thru to becoming the Princess I can't wait to see what Charlotte went thru to become the Ange of now.

Loli pick pocket was cute :3
Aug 27, 2017 10:40 AM

Jun 2015
Another filler backstory, its very nice getting this much characterization, but sometimes it can be too much like in this case. I have pretty much given up on this show probably the real plot will be rushed if it ever finished at all.

PLEASE GET ON WITH THE PLOT ALREADY
Aug 27, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2014
Well, it was nice to finally get this back story, but it's a bit much to call it a twist because we've pretty much known since episode 2 that they swapped places. Still, it was definitely nice to get some context in terms of what that switch actually meant for both Ange and Charlotte, though it's not surprising that Ange has been in the role of the Princes for so long that's she taken on those dreams and ambitions of change that Charlotte had.

However, there is a hell of a lot of coincidences and conveniences to make this back story - and hence this entire subplot - viable to begin with: for instance, why is there a hole in the Palace wall that leads to the slums, and what are the odds that the Princess' exact double just so happened to live in the slums and just so happened to have a habit of looking through that hole in the wall to the point that both her and the Princess would feasibly be looking through the hole at the same time? I mean, it doesn't strictly matter, but it seems like they could have done this backstory in a far less clunky and convoluted way that doesn't entirely hinge on conveniences and coincidences.
Aug 27, 2017 11:08 AM

Sep 2016
So, if they're not sisters, how come they still have the same face?

And, seriously people, are you realising it this episode, even if it was clearly said in episode 2?
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Aug 27, 2017 11:08 AM
Jan 2017
One of the best rendition of Prince and Pauper story. Not only does it tie back to how they acquire their spy skills, but also does change the audience perspective of the characters. Just a perfect episode that is both tragic and endearing. I respect both characters so much after watching this and left my eye a bit wet, to be honest.
Aug 27, 2017 11:14 AM

Sep 2013
Ange and Princess Charlotte's past revealed while they spy on a spy.
Aug 27, 2017 11:30 AM
Jan 2011
Ange and Princess played "A Page of my Story" on the piano at the end - you know, the ending theme of the series :)
Aug 27, 2017 11:54 AM

May 2008
Atavistic said:

However, there is a hell of a lot of coincidences and conveniences to make this back story - and hence this entire subplot - viable to begin with: for instance, why is there a hole in the Palace wall that leads to the slums, and what are the odds that the Princess' exact double just so happened to live in the slums and just so happened to have a habit of looking through that hole in the wall to the point that both her and the Princess would feasibly be looking through the hole at the same time? I mean, it doesn't strictly matter, but it seems like they could have done this backstory in a far less clunky and convoluted way that doesn't entirely hinge on conveniences and coincidences.

To say nothing about succesfully fooling the duke of Normandy for ten years.

I started watching this show only last week, but my pet theory for the time being is that they are both lying and trying to out-spy each other - or at least one of them is, and not necessarily Ange.
Aug 27, 2017 12:23 PM
Dec 2013
It was pretty obvious that the Princess and Ange had exchanged their roles, but the reasons were unknown. Even though my respect and understanding for both of them (Well, at least for the Princess) has increased, I think the backstory should have taken less screen-time and animation as it was narrated (to Julie) as a tale. Now with all main characters being introduced properly, plot development should take place.
Aug 27, 2017 12:25 PM

Nov 2016
Ange was the real Princess after all, glad that we got some confirmation.

Very good episode again,that was a bittersweet backround story.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 27, 2017 12:26 PM

Sep 2016
sad moments and really good reveals so its finally confirmed who was the princess very interesting i didnt expect it all to be revealed this eps but more like a finale thing, im thinking if they revealed it this early then i bet the finale will be even bigger, also how many eps is this 12? also hmm so only other question i have is how do they look like eachother? did the king or queen disown a child or something long ago if their twins? or was it just by sheer coincidence they both appear alike?? all in all great eps loved it
Facta Non Verba
Aug 27, 2017 12:36 PM

Feb 2014
We knew that both Ange and the Princess swapped their places since episode 2, but seeing in detail at their first meeting by chance, how they became friends, switched places and then separated due to the civil revolt at the time was executed nicely from Studio 3hz & Actas. =)

As for the Princess herself, I'd fully admire her huge determination as she took over Charlotte's position as the princess and took to learning all those subjects, languages and musical skills. It must've been hell for her when she was growing up with such expectations weighing her down.

As for the mission itself for this episode, the little kid might've been bad at pick-pocketing, but thanks to the advice from 'Ange', she was able to help the spies identify the lady behind the black veil as the one who murdered Daisy's father in episode 6.

Overall, I think this was the best episode so far from this underrated show. Personally, it deserves more popularity at the very least.
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
One thing I absolutely love about this series is that it depicts Industrial/Victorian England not only in its splendor but also all its squalidness: the polluted air, the foul work conditions, the deprivation and abuse of children. Of course I don't enjoy seeing those things, but I think it's important that we see the whole picture including the things we don't like -- and that goes for everything, really.

About this episode specifically, I really enjoyed how they modified The Prince and The Pauper so that in this case, the two were unable to switch back to their own lives. It gives a lot more meaning to Charlotte's and Ange's interactions in the previous episodes.

As for the plot, I don't particularly care. I don't see backstory and character development as filler, especially when I see this as more of a CGDCT anime. Aren't there tons of those with even less plot and character development than Princess Principal? Yet, people seem to profess their love for them anyway.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣

Jun 2013
Damn this was a great episode!
Aug 27, 2017 12:56 PM

Dec 2009
Ange and Charlotte were switched the whole time, that's why she was always saying she was a spy. Now we know why the "Princess" is a tomboy and why "Ange" is a 'compulsive liar'. There is no better way they could have presented this backstory and revealed this long-held, yet foreshadowed deception of the viewer. Fking quality storytelling, i almost cried.

Such an excellent clarification of backstory alluded in episode 2.

I had a solid 8/10 for this series, but this episode jumped me to a 9/10 holy shit.

@Nexxkinn Amen.

Swim_Swim said:
This is the plot, and it's utterly brilliant. You're getting caught up in the concept that was introduced in episode 1 and failing to see the point of this show. It is not ad never was about the grand plot arcs, it's about living the life of a spy, living a life of lies and trickery in order to achieve goals. The show is about the girls as spies, not about their work as spies.

@kyoudai This is not CGDCT by any means. Something doesn't qualify for that just because it has cute characters in it. It's a slice of life, but its a slice of a spy's life. Making it NOT nichijou-kei. It is indeed a character story, not a spy action/thriller, but it's not there for the moe.
GenesisAriaAug 27, 2017 1:10 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 27, 2017 1:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Confirmed what we've been expecting for a while now, but very well executed. They really make it clear how difficult it would be to play a princess from scratch.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 27, 2017 1:06 PM

Jun 2015
This was a beautiful episode. Got to know more about Ange and Princess. Ange was the real Princess, but they switched places for fun and some rebels attacked the palace. They have a very good friendship and went through so much to survive. Ange took care of the guy that was beating the girl brilliantly. It was nice of her to help those kids. The last scene was so wonderful.
Aug 27, 2017 1:07 PM
Feb 2014
I was 99% sure that they switched places after episode 2 but they way this episode was presented I thought maybe what she saw will harden princess' resolve and won't switch places with Ange. Well it did harden her reslove but she just didn't have time to swith back. It's nice of Ange that she took her dreams and continue to try making it real.

We had the "A Page of My Story" thrice this week so I'm really happy. Slower version with only piano was great too and might be more fitting to this anime's atmosphere.
Aug 27, 2017 1:22 PM
Dec 2016
This anime is 2 good!
Aug 27, 2017 1:34 PM

Feb 2007
Ah, finally the one bit of backstory we've been waiting for the most. And it's nice to see that the current "Princess's" goals were inherited from the original.
Aug 27, 2017 1:44 PM
Nov 2015
Love this show. Such a great episode.
Aug 27, 2017 1:51 PM

Jun 2015
GenesisAria said:
Ange and Charlotte were switched the whole time, that's why she was always saying she was a spy. Now we know why the "Princess" is a tomboy and why "Ange" is a 'compulsive liar'. There is no better way they could have presented this backstory and revealed this long-held, yet foreshadowed deception of the viewer. Fking quality storytelling, i almost cried.

Such an excellent clarification of backstory alluded in episode 2.

I had a solid 8/10 for this series, but this episode jumped me to a 9/10 holy shit.

@Nexxkinn Amen.

Swim_Swim said:
This is the plot, and it's utterly brilliant. You're getting caught up in the concept that was introduced in episode 1 and failing to see the point of this show. It is not ad never was about the grand plot arcs, it's about living the life of a spy, living a life of lies and trickery in order to achieve goals. The show is about the girls as spies, not about their work as spies.

@kyoudai This is not CGDCT by any means. Something doesn't qualify for that just because it has cute characters in it. It's a slice of life, but its a slice of a spy's life. Making it NOT nichijou-kei. It is indeed a character story, not a spy action/thriller, but it's not there for the moe.

Indeed this turns out to be nothing more than a simple slice of life anime with lolies, the added spice is the spy gimmick with industrial England theme as a background.
Ange helping the little thief girl didnt made any sense really, and just another symptom of lolies trying to be spy ( just remember last episode princess buying the laundry, or letting the girl go who saw their cover etc) This time not only Ange helped to that little girl for no reason, but also revealed her background disguised but still... This is laughable leaving so many trails behind them, lousy spies they would never last with this kind of work

However if we look as this slice of life, everything makes sense.

kotobukis said:
Swim_Swim said:
Another filler backstory, its very nice getting this much characterization, but sometimes it can be too much like in this case. I have pretty much given up on this show probably the real plot will be rushed if it ever finished at all.

with today's episode we got the backstory of each important character, we'll probably have no other episode like this again; also, i wonder if this anime will have 20+ episodes

I think we will get nothing but backstory filler
Aug 27, 2017 1:53 PM

Apr 2011
lol I actually kinda feel sorry for the fake-princess
Aug 27, 2017 1:57 PM

Aug 2008
I recall being confused at the end of episode 2, but this episode finally cleared things up.

Damn, the princess and the pickpocket's backstory was sad.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Aug 27, 2017 1:58 PM
Aug 2014
Me towards the end: "Just hug already!"

The real Ange went through some tough shit, but I am sure the real Charlotte also went through some tough training to be a spy.
Aug 27, 2017 2:03 PM
Jun 2016
I enjoyed the first episoee
I've liked the series more each episode.
But this one made me love it, the twist the hints I had missed...I hope this gets another season as I could watch this series as one that has 800 episodes..okay it would get stale over time, but just could adore watching it heh.
Aug 27, 2017 2:22 PM

Dec 2009
@Swim_Swim
None of this is filler, it's all crucial character building.. This is a character story about people, not about mindless moe or any other bs. The spy and victorian environment is not a gimmick it's a key role, just not the focus. This show has denser plot that any CGDCT series ever made.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 27, 2017 2:34 PM

Dec 2013
So we get the big reveal this episode.

It was heartwarming at how Charlotte and Ange found one another. The girl with the same face as themselves. Their friendship only highlighted just how big of a tragedy that revolution just happened to be though. Poor Charlotte having to fend for herself in the palace, with enemies on all sides and death awaiting her should she slip up even once. Learning 9 languages amongst piano, sports and other things is impressive stuff. Doing it all to survive, cannot imagine what it would've felt like.

On the other hand, I'm curious as to how Ange managed to not only survive the fall, but to find the right people in order to become the spy that she is today. Getting thrown around in those slums on her first outing meant that whilst she was probably smart, she wasn't strong enough back then to fend for herself. How did she manage to escape from those thugs, eh? I really want to know just what happened to her after she regained consciousness.

In present time though, that little girl was a bit of a duel edged sword for me. I kept wondering if she was actually someone on the other side who might stab Ange in the back at the end of the episode, or a character that might just die in the end. So glad she was actually what she was portrayed to be, and happy that Ange was able to help her and her friends out of their predicament.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2017

102 by rainbowScarlet »»
Apr 17, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2017

132 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:11 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2017

205 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 7, 2023 8:04 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Thatonebadbro - Sep 24, 2017

183 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 12:31 PM

Poll: » Princess Principal Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2017

117 by Epiroogu »»
Sep 3, 2023 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.