Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 20, 2011 9:20 AM

Jul 2010
Noooooooooooo not Pengin! :( So cute, how could u hurt Pengin?! o.o"

Interesting episode, nice to know a little more about Togame's past. Wooow so Shichika's Kyotouryuu is 1 of the 12 swords? But if that's the case they only need 1 more or am I wrong? If there are 12 swords, they collected 10 and Kyotouryuu is the 12th one only need 1? Well guess I'll see that next 2 episodes :)
Feb 23, 2011 10:30 AM

Aug 2010
Why are people saying that they all got confused in this episode? I thought the dialogue was pretty simple to follow and the pace of the episode made this episode to be one of my favorites.
Apr 15, 2011 11:49 PM

Sep 2010
Poor Pengin.

Really good ep, but I found Higaki's voice irritating.
Jun 25, 2011 6:01 AM

Sep 2010
Was that Emonzaemon? I thought that was like an illusionary world so that would be weird if he was there.
Oct 21, 2011 9:48 AM

Feb 2009
JustALEX said:
People die when they are killed!

NOOOOOO!!!!

NOT Katanagatari...NOT YOU TOO!!!

Sorry, just wanted to mention that he said it, because Higaki stated that Shichika and Togame forgot about such simple thing. He says so in his next line, doesn't he? I must say that I had the same feeling about them as the holy man, that at some point they forgot how important life really is.

Forgive my melancholy.

駄目人間
Jan 18, 2012 7:20 AM
Jun 2008
Oosran said:
Yasuri-kun, people die when they are killed.
That is all.
Sep 6, 2012 9:51 AM

Nov 2008
Couldn't really comprehend all their talkings :X The part "People die when they are killed" definitely rang a bell hahaha.

And lol at the last part. Just when she was gonna deliver a kiss.. :P
Nov 10, 2012 3:33 AM

May 2012
Really great episode! I was quite surprised that Yasuri actually is one of the swords kiki perfected or at least the fight style he learned!

Was quite an interesting concept of story in this episode I liked it! Well 2 swords left and so we're almost come to the end of our journey!
Jan 25, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2011
At first, I thought she was a shapeshifter then I went aha!
Mar 20, 2013 5:24 PM
Apr 2012
A pretty good episode with a lot of interesting revelations. Hope for some good action in the next episode though. seeing how we haven't had any real fights for 2 episodes now.
I wonder what Pengin's power is, I doubt he is just the Maniwani's intel gatherer. In fact i expect him to be the most powerful one after Houou himself as there must be a reason why Ishidori was to sacrifice herself and not Pengin. But then again... Maybe Ishidori stayed behind because they thought that she would have more chance to defeat the enemy?
Apr 14, 2013 10:44 AM

Sep 2011
Dun-Dun-Duuun!!!
Kyotouryuu is the 13th (and ultimate) blade of Shikizaki Kiki. That was unexpected, and a really nice twist :)

That last scene when Togame wanted to jump on Shichika and kiss him was so cute :)

"People die when they are killed"
All I can say to that is:
RazielZeroApr 14, 2013 2:28 PM
May 2, 2013 9:42 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
Placeholder post for proper episode discussion thread.
May 6, 2013 12:14 AM
Aug 2011
This episode had a lot to take in.

Well every blade they get is progress but the information here was pretty good progress too, I liked it.
Kyotouryuu being another sword wasn't exactly surprising though.
May 28, 2013 3:07 AM

Jan 2013
I love when they get all touchy feely.
It's adorable
Jun 28, 2013 3:04 AM

Nov 2012
what is this? so shicika and togame trying to fight their memories? hmm.. interesting..

oh nice episode btw :3

looking forward to next episode
Aug 27, 2013 12:21 PM
May 2012
Good episode a lot of things happened and It really crossed my mind once that Kyotouryuu is the13th blade of Shikizaki Kiki and looks like it's true I don't know why but I don't feel like watching the last 2 episodes now I guess I should already sleep and just watch it later.
Nov 8, 2013 11:13 AM

Jul 2013
Very nice episode with intense amounts of character development for both Shichika and Togame. Can't get any better than an insight of your character. Major key points in this episode:
-Princess Hitei is a direct descendant of Shikizaki Kiki
-The Kyotouryuu itself is the final completed deviant blade
It's sort of interesting how the deviant blades slowly went from normal katanas and eventually the completed one being an actual human. I'm wondering if the thing Pengin was asking to save Houou from is the blade itself.
Jan 3, 2014 2:07 AM

Aug 2012
dat laugh. dat sword. dat cliffhanger ._.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jan 12, 2014 12:50 PM

Aug 2013
Interresting episode on our duo philosophy and motivation.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 14, 2014 12:04 PM

May 2008
No LINUX!! Don't DIE!! T.T
Mar 5, 2014 10:23 AM

Nov 2013
AngelicFeces said:
Was that Emonzaemon? I thought that was like an illusionary world so that would be weird if he was there.

I thought that was odd too!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 11, 2014 2:03 AM

Apr 2013
The 13th deviant blade huh.. So that's why a Kyotouryuu doesn't need a sword.
Jul 26, 2014 3:58 PM

Dec 2013
Higaki Rinne is the winner. That laugh made my day.
Very interesting sword this time.
That Pengin's wound ... awww looked so realistic.

More Emonzaemon next ep? Always good.

Kanade-chan said:
Really... too much talk in this episode....

Lol
This anime is all about talk.
AizixJul 26, 2014 4:01 PM
Sep 14, 2014 3:54 AM

Jan 2014
Thanks for that extra Cheerio Togame...You made my day :I
Oct 12, 2014 1:04 AM

Nov 2011
TripleSRank said:
"I may be a sword, but at the same time, I have a human soul!"

This is the embodiment of Shichika's character development. The interesting part is how this line relates to the Deviant Blades, which were themselves said to be imbued with human souls. In becoming both human and blade, Shichika has surpassed the excellence of the Deviant Blades and has become the perfect sword. He is both sword and swordsman, cutting and deciding what to cut. It was a pretty brilliant moment, to be honest.

Seeing Shichika (through Kyotouryuu) being called the Perfect Deviant Blade in this episode was incredibly satisfying, given that deduction two episodes back.

Anyway, this episode spelled out quite a bit; it's a lot to take in, but I think it will prove critical in unearthing any themes behind this anime. One thing that stands out to me is Shikizaki Kiki's purpose in creating the blades, and why in the end the perfect blade ended up being no blade at all. Did it need to be a swordless sword, or was this a personal choice/conclusion that Shikizaki came to- that swords shouldn't be used. From there, you can branch off into how swords are for killing, yet people have a choice, etc. etc.

Another thing of note is history, and in particular how Togame's father factored into it. This one is a bit more vague, but we may see themes concerning the purpose of history or even life.

I think some of the philosophical portions waxed superfluous, but overall it was an interesting episode.
Dec 15, 2014 12:49 AM

Aug 2013
Glimpse of the past huh ?
After all the gags in the previous episode, this is rather depressing.
As for Shichika being a Completed Deviant Blade.. that's not that much of a surprise.
I could somewhat guess what's happened to Houou.. but Hitei is still a complete mystery to me.
We know where the last 2 Perfected Deviant Blade lies.. but the road ahead looks bad.
That last scene though.. Togame has to work on her smooch attacks. XD
Dang it was so close.. hahahaha you have bad timing Shichika.
Jan 4, 2015 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
I feel like something VERY important about Togame is being hinted at here. But under the WALLS of dialogue i cant really pin it down.
But that whole part about forcing Mr sword to realize he MURDERED those people and felt nothing, was pretty sad to watch. and so was forcing Togame to watch he father die over and over and over.
Preview looks like they are gonna be in big trouble
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 27, 2015 10:39 PM

Mar 2014
Best ep so far! Loved it much.
Jan 27, 2015 10:39 PM

Jul 2014
Z3noN said:
Best ep so far! Loved it much.

Prepare for the feels.
:D
Have a good trip
Feb 8, 2015 8:05 AM
Jan 2012
This was quite the interesting episode. Lots of character development for Shichika and Togame. Higaki Rinne has to be my favorite sword wielder so far, he reminds me of Virgo Shaka from Saint Seiya. Plus, his little girl form is adorable (that laugh is the best thing! :D). Also, Shichika's sword style is one of the perfect deviant blades? Woah. Lastly, poor Penguin!

Only two to go!
Jun 9, 2015 9:00 AM

Jan 2013
ihusmal1234 said:
Very nice episode with intense amounts of character development for both Shichika and Togame. Can't get any better than an insight of your character. Major key points in this episode:
It's sort of interesting how the deviant blades slowly went from normal katanas and eventually the completed one being an actual human. I'm wondering if the thing Pengin was asking to save Houou from is the blade itself.

But Hitei said she wasnt ... does that mean ... she was lying ;o
In all seriousness;

Was a great episode, they had to confront their own memories.
And Shichika is the ultimate Deviant Blade - or at least his style.
Jul 21, 2015 3:58 AM

Aug 2013
god damn amazing episode favorite so far
huh
Jul 26, 2015 3:18 AM

Dec 2013
Lots of talking in ths epiosde. At some points it felt slightly confusing but overall it wasn't too bad. Didn't expect Shichika to be a blade.
Aug 4, 2015 2:41 PM

Jun 2015
wohoho that failed kiss, Cheerio!

Penguin is about to death, he/she (i´m not sure) was really cute...
Aug 23, 2015 1:24 AM

Dec 2013
PrOxAnto said:
ihusmal1234 said:

But Hitei said she wasnt ... does that mean ... she was lying ;o
In all seriousness;

Was a great episode, they had to confront their own memories.
And Shichika is the ultimate Deviant Blade - or at least his style.

I think Hitei was lying about not being a descendent of Kiki, but they left that pretty ambiguous.
Love and Peace!!!
Oct 5, 2015 9:10 PM

Nov 2011
Disappointing that Togame's father's last words were so cheesy and cliche.
Dec 22, 2015 1:53 PM

Jul 2014

Well then.

5/5
May 20, 2016 3:33 AM

Jul 2013
Nice development episode. As ridiculous as may sound, the "people die if they are killed" of the saint was clear here: he means that Shichika and Togame kill people easily without remorse (not valuing the lifes they take to achieve their goal) without having a true goal to do it. I found the overall scene and episode really powerful. Shichika has finally understand that the reason why he fights is for the sake of Togame and Togame has confronted her past succesfully. Glad for both and their character development.

For other part, princess Hitei seems to reveal that she is a descendant from Shikizaki Kiki (or at least that is what I understand, since that ambuguity was suspicious) and that Shichika (more like the Kyotoryuu) is the perfect Deviant Blade that Shikizaki created (has sense, since basically allows the user to become a human blade, both physically and mentally).

And Houhou seems to be possesed by the sword venom at the end... Then he is the boss of the next episode. I hope Pengin doesn't dies.
Jun 12, 2016 9:53 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I don't get why people always lose their shit over the "people die when they are killed" line or its other forms (he won't die even he gets killed, etc). Sure it's obvious, but most of the time it makes sense why it's said. Here, Shichika didn't seem to react to death like normal people would, so while he killed people, maybe the concept of death never really got through him (until Nanami). Death entails the concept of ceasing to exist, or it shows you the importance of life, it might be obvious to everyone, but not to characters. Idk how to explain, but I've never once found that line to be stupid, although it seems like people laugh at it all the time.

Anyways, as for this episode, there was some interesting stuff, like Togame's father and what he stood for, which I still don't quite understand. Or there's probably more to it, with the whole history thing. I like philosophical talk, but it doesn't mean anything philosophical automatically makes it good. Some parts of the conversations between Higaki Rinne and Shichika was interesting, but it also felt redundant and excessive. I'm sure the talks could've been shortened and nothing of value would be lost. Not to mention, it was really straightforward, and I'm not fond of too much of such execution, or at least not the way this episode handled it. I'd prefer if it wasn't just one wise person talking, but that's just personal bias, I guess.

I hope we find out why the Deviant Blades were made. I also don't find there to be any villains in this story, which is interesting. At first it seemed like the Maniwani were the bad people, but they all have their own (selfish) goals, and none of them are particularly better or worse than the other.
Jul 7, 2016 9:44 AM

Jan 2016
Wait what? This holy man is actually Emiya Shirou? lmao

Togame's backstory was nice. But more important, Hitei is a descendant of Shikizaki Kiki? I knew she was shady and was hiding something, but wasn't expecting to be this.

Can't wait to see how this is going to end
Sep 7, 2016 3:42 PM

Mar 2015
Loving it, it's building up to a great finale.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 21, 2016 11:57 PM

Jan 2010

Is the shovel standing up right a metaphor for a gravestone? Is Togame doing the digging metaphoric of her digging up her past?

Anyways, that was quite the meaty episode. Lots of reveals and one heck of a cliffhanger to leave off for this month. It's odd feeling really. I first started this anime back in January, and ever since then, each episode signifies the end of a month for me. For example, at this moment, it feels like October is over and the rest of the month feels like an extended wait for November. It's actually difficult to remember what happened in the first episode, as I remember it giving a flashback to Togame's past. I could go back to rewatch that episode, but I think it's more fun to leave that memory fuzzy.

For the episode itself, it was quite philosophical for a change. Well, it has always been that way, but this episode was particularly explicit, taking its time to analyze its characters in conjunction with furthering the plot. In essence, their characters are integral to the plot, so any revelations about their histories and personalities develop the story simultaneously. There are still quite a few mysteries left, and once again, that cliffhanger kinda hurt. From what I've been told though, the next episode has one hell of a cliffhanger, so I'm looking forward to that episode to see just how crazy it is.
Feb 16, 2017 4:05 PM

May 2015
Nooo, Pengin, hang in there. :((

No smoch, smoch this time. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 15, 2017 10:20 AM

Aug 2014
Shikichi or rather his fighting style is the ultimate weapon? Quite the twist.
Jul 24, 2017 3:23 PM

Jun 2013
Man, this episode was verbose, even by this show's standards. This is probably one of those that will make more sense on a rewatch. I got the gist of it, but for example the thing Togame's dad said about history is not clear to me.

AzureBlues said:
Disappointing that Togame's father's last words were so cheesy and cliche.

I mean, a guy who loves his daughter? What a loser. Jokes aside, what the heck were you expecting, "hail hydra"?
Aug 15, 2017 9:47 AM

Sep 2015
I guess this was kind of a recap. But with so much new material to chew on it feels very unfair to label it one. More to the point I'd describe this as a reflection episode. Shichika and Togame find themselves at the mercy of a very old trickster. And find themselves considering and reconsidering the decisions that led them to this point. In Shichika's case the regrets he has begun to feel over all the lives he's taken. As he starts to gain more human characteristics and think for himself. And in Togame's facing down the traumatic past that shaped her. That despite driving her every move she seems to have repressed.

The way this sword wielder worked was really interesting. Both in the immediate sense. Of his varying appearance depending on who views him. A very solipsistic idea that fits in with one of the series major themes of individualism. And just that he'll make you go on a soul search to get his sword. This was quite possibly the most different episode of the series yet. And I thought it was great. Their journey's nearing it's end. And the wise man seemed to believe they would be in big danger if they pressed on. But they've come to far now to stop. Especially after Togame's breakthrough about her Dad. God damn I hope this has a happy ending.
Aug 28, 2017 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
sooo, people die when they are killed, huh?
*writes in important notes*
May 1, 2018 5:33 PM

Aug 2007
This was easily the best episode yet. I feel like the dialogue was a lot, but wasn't a slog to get through -- it was all important and made the viewer think and explore Togame and Shichika more.

May 16, 2018 4:00 AM

Aug 2015
Press F to pay respects to this innocent & adorable furball Pengin for being killed like wtf show

First of all I'm glad that in this episode they finally address Shichika's guilt when he killed the first 4 sword users in this series in which he failed to do so until he finally learned to have human soul. Also I'm surprised to know that Kyoutouryou itself is a deviant blade, never disappoint with all the weirdness huh so that explains the "curse" or whatever Kiguchi was saying last episode. Also Princess Hitei revelation that she is a descendant of Kiki so that's why she knows the Deviant Blade locations without pulling out of her ass. Lastly I love the theme of the Deviant Blade this ep is: cuts oneself, tests oneself and knows oneself. Finally good to see our 2 MCs overcome their respective inner demons and finding their resolve in life. I also bet the sword has something to do with the rebellion by Togame's dad by seeing the illusions of what about to happen or some shit given the fact that the castle was built underneath the sword.

BTW thanks show for double Cheerio! my kind of fanservice in this series.
Aug 8, 2018 3:03 AM

May 2016
The Deviant Sword of Truth showed that many of the biggest enemies we face are the sins and regrets of the past within us. The memories it reveals paired with the Holy Man taking form of the people with the heaviest memories with Shichika and Togame shows how formidable that blade can be even without a blade to physically cut one down.

That unseen sparring match with Zanki really looked like a close call but she's really good at fighting armed and unarmed. A little more misunderstood situations with her in front of Togame would've been great too.

Way to be reminded of his regret with Meisai. She turned a new leaf and started to live for those girls and she got cut down so fast because Shichika didn't have room for mercy as a living weapon. The whole Kyotouryuu style being Shikizaki's ultimate masterpiece might be a hint towards his gradual boredom with making swords reaching its peak lol

Togame's origins were fully revealed and she apparently got Marie Antoinette Syndrome after the whole ordeal about watching her dad get killed by Shichika's dad. The question of whether he's doing it out of his love for Togame or out of remorse for what happened between their fathers as a way of penitence arises but he's going for the former. The Maniwani's gonna be fresh out before the series even ends xD

I need that adorable jealous Togame to kick me around and pout for no reason.
That preview be showing the final Cheerio... I'm not ready!

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

632 by dspr »»
May 24, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hatsuyuki - Sep 11, 2012

143 by dspr »»
May 23, 5:37 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

334 by dspr »»
May 20, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

stevewiess01 - Jul 9, 2010

225 by valennienana »»
Apr 25, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Apr 22, 6:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.