Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
KATANAGATARI
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2010 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, best episode so far (imho). The overall concept was nice and the antagonist was portrayed very well. 4th wall works really great when the narrator told us Shichika didn't have Miko moe xD

And the preview for next episode (16.4.) looked intense, a lot of fighting (finally?)
Mar 9, 2010 3:01 AM

Jan 2009
I felt it is good though, they abbreviated some important settings... about Sentou Tsurugi and Sentouryu
so I thought not a few people queriedabout their battle...

well, got to expect next month's intense battle against Strongest Samurai, Sabi Hakuhei (^^) preview is awsome
Mar 9, 2010 3:18 PM

Feb 2009
It's funny how all the Maniwa ninjas get instantaneously killed by the current owners of Shikizaki Kiki's swords excluding that guy Koumori who had Zetou Kanna.
Mar 9, 2010 4:45 PM

Sep 2008
Those black shrine maidens were really cute though.

I'm really torn between wanting to see Shichika developing a greater understanding of emotions and staying true to being a sword. They both have blatant downsides and it just hurts so much...

Yup.
HawthorneKittyMar 9, 2010 5:06 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2010 6:14 PM

Oct 2009
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.
What the heck O_O no panties and ecchi? Clearly I have to see this soon.......around which part is this again? I did not pay attention to this at all.....sure means easy Togame to you know what.

In spoiler my anime list for now.
Mar 9, 2010 7:04 PM

Feb 2008
HawthorneKitty said:

I'm really torn between wanting to see Shichika developing a greater understanding of emotions and staying true to being a sword. They both have blatant downsides and it just hurts so much...

Yup.

the moment he considers the ramification of killing his opponent will be the moment he will become weak. she tried to shake his resolve and failed mostly because he isn't well versed in people interaction. as long as he remains a "sword" he will always have the resolve needed to fight to his fullest.

its also interesting that the girl got embarrassed at being held by him and they had a session of "skinship" in the last episode.
Mar 9, 2010 7:06 PM
Nov 2008
francismeunier said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.
What the heck O_O no panties and ecchi? Clearly I have to see this soon.......around which part is this again? I did not pay attention to this at all.....sure means easy Togame to you know what.

I always get sad when reading your comments (So i usually don't)...

Is it just me or that 1000 sword style was pretty lame? "It's the ultimate defense blah blah" "You can't win blah blah" -> Shichika runs away-> no sword here ! 1on1 pwned in one shot. I hope the next fight will be better.

And it really seems like the 12 sword wielders aren't clear antagonists but characters with some depths to them. Which is gr8. The hair bits are still the best in every ep. And I felt really sorry for Shichika when he didn't feel anything after killing the woman. He is kinda damaged. Or empty. Or whatever.

kisami said:

the moment he considers the ramification of killing his opponent will be the moment he will become weak. she tried to shake his resolve and failed mostly because he isn't well versed in people interaction. as long as he remains a "sword" he will always have the resolve needed to fight to his fullest.

This is true but he will only be needed till they get all the 12 swords. They aim for piece (yes i know Togame has other motivations as well). He won't be needed in a time of peace like he is now. He will need to step up a lvl and become more human. (the usual stuff in lots of stories, you need war to achieve piece but what to do with warriors when you succeed?)
MalestelMar 9, 2010 7:13 PM
Mar 9, 2010 7:51 PM

Oct 2009
Malestel said:
francismeunier said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

Well it does look tempting and Togame is not exactly non attractive and my comments are not always bad......
Malestel said:
Is it just me or that 1000 sword style was pretty lame? "It's the ultimate defense blah blah" "You can't win blah blah" -> Shichika runs away-> no sword here ! 1on1 pwned in one shot. I hope the next fight will be better.

That is because it's a kill or be killed thing. Just like in the last episode he could have been slashed if he did not defeat his enemy swordsman.....you saw what happened to that ninja....
Malestel said:
And it really seems like the 12 sword wielders aren't clear antagonists but characters with some depths to them. Which is gr8. The hair bits are still the best in every ep. And I felt really sorry for Shichika when he didn't feel anything after killing the woman. He is kinda damaged. Or empty. Or whatever.
No he is just not trained in any emotions.....kind of logical when you think he was isolated in a island for so long.....he did not feel even as bad as he should have when he left his sister which was sad for me because his sister has a weak complex.....hope she lives at least in the end.

Mar 9, 2010 8:24 PM

Mar 2009
This show is just plain awesome. The different fighting styles of the characters, the scenery, and Togame is just priceless. So funny and cute, but at the same time somewhat absentminded. What is really cool despite how much Shichika can be silly and dumb, he very observant especially when fighting or talking to the enemy. The next episode should be unreal so can't wait til 4/16! :D --- Randy
Mar 9, 2010 8:38 PM

Jun 2009
The only thing i dont like is that when he hits the final blow we get a black screen instead of showing how he killed her. But the rest is simply awesome, very very nice show.
Mar 9, 2010 10:13 PM

Sep 2007
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

I lol'd when I saw that scene. I had to rewatch that one part just to make sure what was odd about it. Togame is definitely a nopan QUALITY ass girl. They totally screwed up there.

francismeunier said:
Malestel said:
francismeunier said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

Well it does look tempting and Togame is not exactly non attractive and my comments are not always bad......

For someone who brags about having "real life girls" to satisfy your lust, you seem pretty damn eager on seeing every little skin exposure as ecchi in every anime possible, even when this case was an obvious animation fail by the studio.

This was probably the best episode yet. The interaction with Meisai really drove her character. It was nice to see Togame and Shichika's dialogue was somewhat limited in this episode. While some of it gave them more depth, other times if just seemed nonsensical. From the preview for ep4, it looks like we'll be getting a bit of action. I hope that the preview is not the actual fight itself. It would be disappointing and misleading if it was.
WasabiMar 9, 2010 10:33 PM
Mar 9, 2010 10:30 PM

Aug 2009
Overall this is also my favorite episode so far. This anime is in my top 10 favorite animes ever and it's only on episode 4. If it keeps this up I can only have good things to say about this anime. I have noticed how the animation has started to grow on me. Originally it seemed that the animation had more of a cartoon-like look but it seems to make more the sense the more I watch. The preview looks great can't wait till next month.
Mar 9, 2010 11:32 PM

Dec 2009
Malestel said:

yes, the fight was lame, but i think they compensate with interesting personalities ...and lots of hair.
Mar 10, 2010 3:45 AM

Oct 2009
Wasabi said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

I lol'd when I saw that scene. I had to rewatch that one part just to make sure what was odd about it. Togame is definitely a nopan QUALITY ass girl. They totally screwed up there.

francismeunier said:
Malestel said:
francismeunier said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

For someone who brags about having "real life girls" to satisfy your lust, you seem pretty damn eager on seeing every little skin exposure as ecchi in every anime possible, even when this case was an obvious animation fail by the studio.
What can I say.......there is the little that I like to appreciate and in this series it's Togame. Appreciation can = to being eager to see a favorite girl in any anime. Like Index for example when she had bath scenes but that's not me who likes her that much.....just saying some fans might be like me with her.

Mar 10, 2010 5:00 AM

May 2009
Also felt this was the best episode so far, much having to do with Shicika's opponent this time around. They were able to bring a great deal of depth to her character and her conversations with Shicika were engaging throughout. Mixed feelings about her defeat, mainly due to her death, but any other outcome would've felt like cheating and made less sense.

The next episode looks incredible. Hope the action in the preview is just a sample and not the feast.
Mar 10, 2010 5:12 AM

Dec 2007
He did whaaaaa-?

did he really-

must have been an accident, he's not bright enough to carry out a plan, however now we know that he's stronger.

I love this anime.
Mar 10, 2010 9:04 AM
Nov 2008
francismeunier said:
Malestel said:

That is because it's a kill or be killed thing. Just like in the last episode he could have been slashed if he did not defeat his enemy swordsman.....you saw what happened to that ninja....

Yeah it's kill or be killed and in most animes i'd like this bit of realism. But this is not that show. The setting and design is unrealistic so some more action sceens (even if they over the top) would actually be nice.

But this has nothing to with the sword style being lame. There's no point in setting up lots of swords everywhere if you can only wield one at a time. If you've seen/read Soul Eater: Mifune is the perfect example how to kick ass with lots of blades if you take the time to place them everywhere.... Compared to his style this was pretty (very) phatetic.

Lots of hair and talking saves this show though (as said above).
Mar 10, 2010 9:20 AM

Oct 2009
Time to give some thinking here.....Meisai.....ok let me get this straight it took her to kill the priest of the sanzu shrine and to hear his last words=>
to realize that her bandit friends needed to be killed and her to return to the shrine to help the maidens there.....her past does justify a lot of the why like her father even killing this much got killed in the end=>
also she lost even her own dojo (BTW Meisai was pretty cute at that time when she young)=>
her bandit boss looks like a kingpin=>
well that's really too bad that so much deaths to understand such a principle and in the end it was death that came to her. Did anyone think that Shichika though of regret a little while seeing his hand in blood?=>
Also I find it strange and shocking he would kill his father like he says here=>
You got to admit that these are twins that were a great addition!=>
That ninja Maniwa Kuizame......is he crazy enough to kill people like here=>
I found that rather very disturbing that he used did that like that.
Malestel said:
francismeunier said:
Malestel said:

Yeah it's kill or be killed and in most animes i'd like this bit of realism. But this is not that show. The setting and design is unrealistic so some more action sceens (even if they over the top) would actually be nice.

Oh yeah? I find these the be pretty nicely done like Kuizame's chain attack and Meisai's attack but not as good as the nest will be of Sabi or the last episode's swordman=>

Malestel said:
But this has nothing to with the sword style being lame. There's no point in setting up lots of swords everywhere if you can only wield one at a time. If you've seen/read Soul Eater: Mifune is the perfect example how to kick ass with lots of blades if you take the time to place them everywhere.... Compared to his style this was pretty (very) phatetic.

Lots of hair and talking saves this show though (as said above).

I have not seen Souleater but I can say that strategy depends where you got it from and maybe Meisai's style was taught to her like that.....you can't argue that....only give a opinion and I understand if you find it sucky but not me.
HawthorneKitty said:
Those black shrine maidens were really cute though.

Yup.
Oh yeah I got something better in GIF how about a good impression of how Shichika can do it....too bad none was real but good impression here=>

Other than that I find Togame's "Cheerio" good in her landing a punch on Shichika and her Kimono dress was nice too as part of GIF time=>
There is also to say that Meisai looked rather nice here after a battle=>
francismeunierMar 10, 2010 9:31 AM

Mar 10, 2010 10:15 AM

Jul 2008
so she had to look for the original among 999 copies, but the original was buried underground, lol. another one of this ninja guys showed up... lasted a little longer then the last one didn't he?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Mar 10, 2010 10:45 AM

Oct 2009
kage-bunshin said:
another one of this ninja guys showed up... lasted a little longer then the last one didn't he?
At least he was better than previous ones and his attack was nice with the chains but they never last longer......it would have been better for the action if it was longer.

Mar 10, 2010 10:59 AM

Dec 2007
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

FUCK,,, YEAH!
Mar 10, 2010 11:20 AM

Apr 2009
Huh, I realised I like Katanagatari better when there's little Togame in it xP (like in this episode)
Shichika is quickly becoming one of my favourites, even though he doesn't do much besides fighting and falling in love with shogunate strategists o.o
Meisai was a very interesting character, too bad she had to die...
Also, I have a feeling there will be some more focus on Shichika's psyche as the series progresses. It's pretty disturbing how he doesn't feel a thing after killing someone and cheerfully talks to Togame right after that. And of course, we can't forget the yet unexplained fact that he killed his father o.o was that an accident or not? If not, then for what reason did he do this? And why did his sister behave so normally around someone who killed her father? Unless she doesn't know, which brings me to the next question: is that because Shichika lied to her?
...What the hell happened on that island? xD
I'm overthinking things.

Ahh, the next episode is about the cool swordsman with weird hair! I so want to see this. I loved the little bits about him we've seen so far. (Not to mention that Midorikawa's doing a great job at voicing him *__*) I don't want him to die, which is probably what's going to happen D:
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 10, 2010 3:12 PM
Dec 2007
This episode was Samurai Shamploo-ish and showed a good development story and character-wise. That'"s why I still believe Katanagatari is much more consistent and well... just better than Bakemonogatari.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 10, 2010 7:29 PM

Apr 2008
That was a very teaching episode and the preview for the next one look awesome.
Mar 10, 2010 11:47 PM

Apr 2007
Cenedess said:
Huh, I realised I like Katanagatari better when there's little Togame in it xP (like in this episode)
Same here~ I felt a little sad when she reappeared after a bit...

I also agree this episode was the best so far. There was no need for long explanations, semi-pointless conversations, or traveling to the next target. The first episode where I was entertained the whole time. Although the battle toward the end was annoying, running around to different swords. Meisai's style is pretty much useless against one enemy, especially someone who doesn't use a sword.

And those Maniwani are weak. So far 2/3 (only counting those who appeared) were defeated very quickly. I figured they'd be stronger :/

damn typos.
MonochromeMar 11, 2010 12:30 AM
Mar 11, 2010 12:22 AM
Nov 2008
Oh yeah I got something better in GIF how about a good impression of how Shichika can do it....too bad none was real but good impression here=>

=))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))00 I'm still laughing at that scene.
Mar 11, 2010 1:02 AM

Oct 2009
Monochrome said:
Cenedess said:
Same here~ I felt a little sad when she reappeared after a bit...

I also agree this episode was the best so far. There was no need for long explanations, semi-pointless conversations, or traveling to the next target.
We are still missing the point of the ninja battles being longer for more action......>_<

Mar 11, 2010 1:49 AM
Jun 2008
Base on Meisai(敦賀迷彩),Togame's hair is not natural.Must be her ex-boyfriend dumped her and due to extreme pressure,Togame's hair turn white ^^ During first episode,She mention a few example of reason of boyfriend being dishonest.....That means she being Dumped several times?? I any case,there must be some"thing" happen in the past.

I think i gonna start reading the novel
.Since its hard to understand every each word when Togame start to "preach" .
MorningGloryMar 11, 2010 2:46 AM
Mar 11, 2010 3:57 AM

Apr 2009
gloryfy said:
Base on Meisai(敦賀迷彩),Togame's hair is not natural.Must be her ex-boyfriend dumped her and due to extreme pressure,Togame's hair turn white ^^ During first episode,She mention a few example of reason of boyfriend being dishonest.....That means she being Dumped several times?? I any case,there must be some"thing" happen in the past.

...okay, this may just be me overthinking things again, but...wasn't the reason witnessing Shichika's father kill hers? Or...something xP
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Mar 11, 2010 4:00 AM

Jul 2009
rarri said:
HawthorneKitty said:

Yup.

FUCK,,, YEAH!
Fvuk i miss that one..
Mar 11, 2010 4:01 AM

Jul 2009
laserjay151 said:
It's funny how all the Maniwa ninjas get instantaneously killed by the current owners of Shikizaki Kiki's swords excluding that guy Koumori who had Zetou Kanna.

yup and also looks like for the next 9 episode, we will see 1 ninja get killed in each episode.
Mar 11, 2010 4:13 AM
Jun 2008
Cenedess said:
My reason is just a joke...The story writer won't make such development .I think

Some how i felt that the Ninja in this series is as annoying as Naruto!!I thought Ninja always accomplish mission swiftly with the least disturbance...Who give a crap about the Ninja's name or origin.
MorningGloryMar 11, 2010 4:17 AM
Mar 11, 2010 2:59 PM

Feb 2008
Another great episode but I'm afraid the next episodes preview over shadowed it for me. I did like the idea of sentouryuu, shame that Shichika is the one person it couldn't possibly work on.
Mar 11, 2010 3:05 PM

Dec 2007
laserjay151 said:
It seems their only purpose in the series is to show the power of the ones having the Shikizaki Kiki swords. Kinda makes me feel sorry for them.

Also the preview for the next episode looked epic, why must we wait a whole month for it. T_T
Mar 11, 2010 4:41 PM

Mar 2009
Best ep so far. She was awesome, though I wish she would have put up more of a fight. The ninja was good, and it was awesome how she pwnd him. Togame getting embarassed over the piggyback was FTW!! And, the shrine maidens coming around and helping him load the wood was great as well. I love this show!

P.S. Where do they carry the swords? And how did they transport all 1000 swords?

Urahara Out!!
Mar 11, 2010 5:31 PM

Mar 2009
Nice ep, I enjoyed it.
Too bad Meisai had to die tho. But oh well, I guess all of them will die.
And how is it that the guy killed his father? I thought he died of senility.
Next ep will be great...

ps: now I realize i'd like the artstyle to be different...
pps: we all want longer action sequences don't we?
UnknownFactMar 11, 2010 5:41 PM
Mar 12, 2010 5:09 AM

Mar 2009
nice episode. waited ages for this>.<
Cheerio
Mar 12, 2010 8:49 AM

Jun 2009
The ninja guy reminds me a lot of Graham Spector with a tiny tint of Black Star.

That was a great episode. Meisai has one of the saddest deaths I've ever seen among "side" characters in any series. ;_____;

And those shrine maidens I LOVE THEM

I was finally starting to accept that while I'll see fancy and pretty fights, they won't be as intense or high-level badass (and somewhat anti-climatic for someone who's used to great fight scenes), and the beauty of the show comes from whatever. Then I see the preview then I was like "FUCK GIVE ME EPISODE 4 GIMME GIMME GIMME".
Mar 12, 2010 3:17 PM

Sep 2009
Great episode. I really liked the character interactions. Really looking forward to the next episode....that battle looks epic.
Mar 13, 2010 12:16 AM

Jun 2007
This episode was better then the previous two. Not by much though. They still over do it with talking and when it comes time to fight...another let down. Next episode looks like it will be good though.
Mar 13, 2010 1:44 AM

Aug 2009
does he really have to kill everyone that owns a sword?
Mar 13, 2010 5:04 AM

Dec 2007
SoFarGone said:

Only if if they don't give him the sword willingly, or give up during the fight. There will probablyone of those episodes where someone does live.
Mar 13, 2010 10:52 AM

Oct 2007
SoFarGone said:

Those swords are implied to be somewhat similar in power to 'the rings' from the Lord of the Rings.
Mar 13, 2010 1:23 PM

May 2009
Great episode; my favorite of the three that're out so far. I was even more impressed with the artstyle and beautiful backgrounds this episode. Meisai death was a bit sad, I really liked her character.

The fight was disappointing, but this anime doesn't seem to be about the fighting. Although the preview for episode four kind of contradicts that, lol. It looks sweet.
Mar 13, 2010 1:40 PM

Dec 2009
Holy shit Francis, relax.

The episode was pretty good, wasn't enough cheerio though. I would have liked some better fighting as well but it's pretty apparent this anime doesn't focus on action.

Those look to be pink panties to me. She's not naked.
Mar 13, 2010 2:57 PM

Jan 2010
Every episode a ninja shows up and gets killed in one blow >_>

Togame's hair is just pure win, it seems to be rather long if it can warp itself around both of them several times :D
Mar 13, 2010 6:29 PM

Aug 2008
HA! I didn't have any complaints about the dialogue this time. I can't see why anyone else would either. For once, the dialogue was the more enjoyable part of the episode. The combat just seemed to neatly wrap things up. I really did like the temple head though, that's what I call scary hot.
Mar 13, 2010 7:27 PM

Dec 2007
worst episode so far but still an awesome episode.. next episode looks like it will be a hundred times better!!
Mar 14, 2010 3:36 AM
Jun 2008
The cool guy on the brige,if not mistaken it might be Sabihakuhei.She look so young and handsome.From first episode,Togame said there is a 20year old warrior who betray the shogunate .Even though he is loyal(loyal can't be trusted,ONLY LOVE;LOVE ME NOW~Togame).If its true ,then the Hakutou Hari is what he is using now.
Mar 14, 2010 2:47 PM

Feb 2009
Lol at that nopan scene.

It seems that the ninjas are now canon folder. Oh well.

Next episode should be quite action packed according to the preview, it should be interesting to see the animation quality.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hana-kei - Apr 16, 2010

420 by valennienana »»
Yesterday, 6:30 AM

» END SPOILERS - I’ve Never Witnessed Such Epic Implosion

deaf_amish_guy - Jun 6, 2020

10 by Nesquikscope »»
Mar 31, 1:16 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Feb 8, 2010

180 by ariharan_ars »»
Feb 3, 10:31 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Dec 10, 2010

631 by I_LIKE_ANIME_SO »»
Jan 3, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Katanagatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2010

333 by Dumb »»
Jul 30, 2023 5:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.