Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 8, 2016 4:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting, so we're getting more depth into the research regarding Pure Illusion. Poor Yayaka. Even though I don't like her much, her current condition doesn't look good. I think Yayaka did value Cocona in the present timeline though.

Cocona and Papika's character chemistry is still adorable. I think they're really close to discovering the true origins of the Pure Illusion. Pretty intense ending.
Stark700Dec 8, 2016 5:22 AM
Dec 8, 2016 4:25 AM

Nov 2013

Theme song for that end.

GethemalotDec 9, 2016 4:23 AM
Dec 8, 2016 5:35 AM

Aug 2014
Well that didn't go how I was expecting it, like at all. Really fucking good though.

So Mimi is Cocona other personality/Cocona's mother. But I guess it would make more sense to say Cocona is an aspect of Mimi instead of being the primary person/personality.

Still, I hate it when a character both wont explain the situation and the other character wont listen even if they try. I honestly thought that it was going to end up with Cocona being kidnapped and Papika coming to the rescue but now I can't wait to see how it moves forward from here
Get your shit straight Brenda
Dec 8, 2016 5:41 AM

Jan 2012
Well THAT was quite the revelation: Mimi is Cocona's...mom? I mean she did look identical in the flashback. Honestly I thought Cocona WAS Mimi without her memories. So what happened to her then? Did she become the stone inside Cocona? Why did Salt age but not Papika? What was Yayaka trying to say before the alarm? Gah! So many questions!

Oh yeah, plus evil robot granny!
animefan8800Dec 8, 2016 5:44 AM
Dec 8, 2016 5:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Okay so... Mimi is basically Cocona's mom and now living as a "fragment" inside of her? That part wasn't too unexpected, but the connection with Papika is interesting if so. Based on the flashback we saw Papika looking like the same age as Salt and Mimi, but she hasn't aged at all today even though at the very least Salt evidentially has. So is Papika immune to aging?

Also Cocona's grandma turning out to be an enemy was really unexpected :o
Dec 8, 2016 6:09 AM

Aug 2015
Poor Cocona being betrayed by everyone, though her grandma was very suspicious since the start so it's not a shock to me. Now we've got to know the connection between Mimi and Cocona, well that's kinda expected too. A lot of info revealed, plot progresses, character development. I guess this is the turning point of the series. I'm excited to the last 3 episode don't let down my hopes. I'm guessing that Salt's father is the KKK leader, comparing through their eyes from the one before the OP and during the flashback.

animefan8800 said:
Why did Salt age but not Papika?

They we're genetically programmed probably cyborg or artificial human(?), or maybe the amorphous' effect.
SeijiroUshioDec 8, 2016 8:29 AM
Dec 8, 2016 6:26 AM
Jun 2016
I feel so bad for cocona. Her whole life was basicly a lie, and papika only met cocona cause of the fragment. Poor Cocona😢
Dec 8, 2016 6:29 AM

Dec 2011
I want to give a hug to Cocona :(
Dec 8, 2016 6:35 AM

Mar 2015
Yup, just as i thought. I had a feeling that it could go full Evangelion and this just confirmed it. Wanna see how are they gonna pull off this one.

Dec 8, 2016 7:03 AM

Jan 2015
They finally begin the infiltration to Papika's base. Just for short time before it changes to Papika(na)'s past with Mimi. And young Dr.Salt too.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Dec 8, 2016 7:11 AM

Feb 2011

shit was alrdy real but this is like next level
and still 3 eps left?!

>it was in the OP

AOTY
Dec 8, 2016 7:34 AM

Nov 2014
The moment I saw Mimi leaving Papika and everyone in the flashback with a child in hand some episodes ago, I knew Cocona was going to be her daughter. I had my suspicions of such the moment we even heard the name Mimi in the first place. I'm wagering a guess that Salt is actually her father, though I suppose they could go some sort of "magic" circumstances route too.

I didn't suspect her grandmother, though I feel like I should have.

All in all, I'm really excited for the next episode. This series has really resonated with me. The best one this season for me.
Dec 8, 2016 7:44 AM

May 2014
Anyone else smell Evangelion?

Cocona can't date her moms best friend, give Yayaka a chance pls
Dec 8, 2016 7:46 AM
Jan 2016
A lot of my questions were answered in a single episode! Now THIS is how you should make anime.

My theory:
Mimi was the only one who could enter Pure Illusion right? I guess she used "her powers" os something like that and got herself divided in the fragments, that's why the other organization is looking for them (?) to "revive" and control her. Maybe and just maybe, that's why Cocona also has a fragment inside her.
Dec 8, 2016 7:54 AM

Jun 2013
Damn, while this was not what I was expecting, this was an incredible episode, I feel so bad for cocona but I can't wait to see how this finishes.
Dec 8, 2016 8:06 AM

Nov 2014
This was the episode I was waiting for. There were a lot of unexpected revelations along with some new questions: So, Mimi is Cocona's mother? Does Papika age, or is she older than she looks? Will Cocona be able to make amends with Papika or Yayaka? How is this show so brilliant?

5/5
Dec 8, 2016 8:14 AM

May 2014
aikaflip said:
This was the episode I was waiting for. There were a lot of unexpected revelations along with some new questions: So, Mimi is Cocona's mother? Does Papika age, or is she older than she looks? Will Cocona be able to make amends with Papika or Yayaka? How is this show so brilliant?

5/5

I call our Papika is a clone or reincarnation
Dec 8, 2016 8:20 AM

May 2009
I wonder how was Papikana de-aged
Dec 8, 2016 8:24 AM

Mar 2014
damn, much revelations, I need to watch again (and that post ending one where they talk for first time about Mimi).

So Do Papika knows Ash's inmortality method? xD

It's very interesting that the school was before the research lab.

Now my question is, at Yayaka's flashback one was at the same lab as Papika's one?
Dec 8, 2016 8:28 AM

May 2016
aikaflip said:
Does Papika age, or is she older than she looks?
I can't help but wonder if she's a clone or has spent the years in suspended animation.
Dec 8, 2016 8:45 AM

Sep 2016
I feel so sorry for cocona. She probably feels so alone right now. I hope papika and yayaka goes goes to aid to let her know she is not alone.
Dec 8, 2016 8:46 AM

Feb 2013
Well, my theory was right in the end. Mimi is the mother of Cocona, and probably the father is Salt.

In the end, it was a great episode. I'm impressed that the episodes are getting better and better and need more recognition than this.

So, the auntie was a robot and this explain why Cocona was in the house after the robots capture her in the first episodes. Hell, most of the questions are explained in the episode. haha This is how you make a anime.

I'll miss this show so much in the end..
Dec 8, 2016 8:58 AM

Aug 2016
HOLY SH*T, so many great things happend this episode, best episode yet! So great :d
Nanika ga Okashii
Dec 8, 2016 9:50 AM

Jan 2015
What the fuck is going on, and what the fuck the preview
Dec 8, 2016 10:03 AM

Aug 2015
That was quite the episode and the show's getting a bit darker. Granny looked a bit fishy since the beginning, now we know why.

Everything is starting to get pieced together, looking forward to the next episode and to the real identity of Cocona and Papika.

caio_ken said:
Well, my theory was right in the end. Mimi is the mother of Cocona, and probably the father is Salt.

Yes, young Salt really seemed to like Mimi.
Dec 8, 2016 10:08 AM

May 2013
Planeptuner said:
Yes, young Salt really seemed to like Mimi.

Then got cucked by Papika. Kind of like Cocona did by Mimi.
Dec 8, 2016 10:12 AM

May 2010
Salt x Mimi. I laugh, how cute Salt was as a child. I bet he is an awkward person behind that mask given how easily embarrassed his young self was.

Is that it about the grandma? I hope they answer some more questions about her in the coming episodes 'cause honestly I'm a bad disappointed in her role if it's gonna just end here.
Dec 8, 2016 10:23 AM

Feb 2014
So Cocona is Mimi and probably Salt's daughter. I wonder how the robot "grandmother" fits into all of this and why Cocona even lived with her, since she was allied with the KKK guys.
Dec 8, 2016 10:31 AM

Jun 2015
This episode was amazing. The revelations that were revealed makes things more sense now. The ending was the best part.
Dec 8, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2010
Wow, what an drama-packed episode. Great way to kick up the momentum.
Cocona being decieved by Yayaka must've hurt. On top of that, the feeling of feeling nothing but a replacement to the only friend that you consider close to. Way to pour salt into your wounds.

Perhaps my favorite part of the episode is when Mimi basically possesses Cocona's body and then the scene pans out to her reflection in the mirror or glass.
Did not expect the grandma to be deceptive. But strangely not surprised either. She seemed to care initially, but not enough to not suspect her. Her lack of control over her only granddaughter (if Cocona is even her granddaughter?) probably leads to why i'm not so surprised.

This whole episode, I felt so bad for Cocona. Everything was spiraling out of her control. She has every reason to be upset. It's like "has my life been a lie this whole time?". From finding a fragment, to finding out that befriending Yayaka was by no coincidence, feeling like a tool than a friend, to freaking grandma capturing her. Poor girl. But mom's here, so it's okay now.

Hyped for the next episode!
Dec 8, 2016 11:41 AM

Jul 2007
So this pretty much confirms what I thought so far.

Whoever "Cocona" was was Mimi and Salt's daughter. Then Mimi most likely died and her father turned cold towards her and Cocona ended up meeting someone who looks like Papika, which led to Cocona closing down in this weird world that is "Cocona's reality".

Its not a coincidence that in this episode the moment Cocona's world starts falling apart directly coincides with her her emotional negativity. Her world is falling figurativelly and thus her world is falling apart literally too. Which makes sense if "Cocona's world" is a pure illusion layer of her perception of reality. We saw something akin to that in previous layer too which most likely was tuned to Yayaka's perception(since Yayaka had nothing till Cocona). The moment her world starts to fall apart and she starts seeing everyone as her enemies, is the moment when her home, her job, etc is filled with hostile robots.

The way this episode implies, there might have been a sort of love triangle between Salt, Mimi and Papikana, which would explain why Cocona's desires are embodied through Papika too, especially if she learned of that. The episode preview seems to confirm that in what I assume is a flashback of older Mimi and older Papikana leading up to the accident. So whoever is the object of real-Cocona's affections is automatically connected to what happened with her mother for her. Thus she needs to learn to accept her Papika as her Papika and not Mimi's, essentially solving her conflict.

So the pieces are falling together and now remains to be seen how it all fits together. The Mimi and Salt pieces of the puzzle are in place, all that remains is seeing true nature of the Incident that led to the loss of Mimi as well as true nature of Papika and, in turn, the true real world.
AhenshihaelDec 8, 2016 11:48 AM
Dec 8, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2013
Wow. I'm speechless. Yeah. AOTS.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 8, 2016 12:28 PM

Mar 2011
Holy sh*t WHAT
And here I was thinking that Cocona could be a clone of Mimi, but didn't come cross my mind that she could be her daughter. But then maybe Papika is a clone of the old one with her memories.
Poor Cocona tho, even her grandma.

Well, you could say Salt became pretty salty over the years, right???? (terrible joke, I know xD)
Now I'm really looking foward next episode.
Dec 8, 2016 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
so Cocona maybe Salt and Mimi's child

holy shit! and the grandma is a robot enemy all along lol

and Papika is fucking old, i think Pure Illusion given her eternal youth
Dec 8, 2016 1:03 PM

Oct 2012
Damn, I felt so bad for Cocona. Like, the whole episode. First it was Yayaka, then Papika, then her grandmother. Like, when she got home and felt safe and then SHE WASN'T. Oh my god. And her grandma was a robot??? And she/Mimi broke it. Goddammit. AND MIMI WAS HER MOM. I didn't expect that, although I think I should have.
Cocona is probably Mimi's and Salt's daughter then. ALSO SALT WAS YOUNG THEN GOT OLDER AND PAPIKA DIDN'T? And old Papika was in the preview??? UGHUWFD9IOPKX This show is blowing my mind. I'm curious now.
Dec 8, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2015
Cocona is very confused, she doesn't really know who are the people she is working with, she seems to have a connection with Salt and Papika from a long time ago because Mimi is her mother and what's up with Yayaka, and with the ku klux klan guys.
Dec 8, 2016 1:46 PM

Dec 2014
I'm interested to see if Mimi's reawakening was triggered on accident or if it was the KKK's ambition the whole time. Maybe Cocona/Mimi are the only way to open Pure Illusion. Loved this episode though. Finally got some more plot development that I've been waiting for and we finally figure out Yayaka's true connection to Cocona as well as Salt's ambitions. They have three more episodes to really blow me away!

Mar 2014
wow this show just went from great to amazing. Really hope it finishes strong. I had chills at the end of this episode

Jun 2013
whoa that was kinda deep and hold up so Mimi is like Cocona's mom but she lives inside of her mind?
Dec 8, 2016 3:09 PM

Mar 2008
This show continues to bend the mind and warp the senses of everything we think we know. It's amazing to see how far this really has come and I'm just enjoying every last minute of it. A shame this couldn't have been a longer series with a little more time to have crazy adventures in Pure Illusion before moving into the meat of the plot.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 8, 2016 3:58 PM

Jan 2014
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON ?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
Dec 8, 2016 4:13 PM

Dec 2014
Was casually watching the show and then this episode hit me like a pile of bricks. Didn't see any of that coming.
I need sleep.
Dec 8, 2016 5:04 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Salt is gonna hit best character status by the end of the series, i feel like he will transcend hard.

Mimi is Cocona's mother, likely turned into the stone inside her.

What the fuck is Papika then?
Dec 8, 2016 5:11 PM

Oct 2013
My eyes hurt from being so wide with surprise during this brilliant episode. I hope the little green rabbit thing, Whatitsface, survived Cocona's house blowing up.

Mimi is Cocona's mom, and Salt is her dad? And as others have asked, what's up with Papika? She doesn't age beyond 14? Is she human or other?
Dec 8, 2016 5:21 PM

Nov 2015
That was a good episode.

Dec 8, 2016 5:40 PM

Aug 2013
This show right here...this is some quality because I was just bitchslapped by an unexpected wave of what the fuckery.
Don't believe the hype.
Dec 8, 2016 6:20 PM

May 2009
Guess I was on the right track about Mimi. \o/
So maybe it was Salt who used an amorphus stone to go inside Pure Illusion? Or was it someone else...
So Salt's father is the head of the cult?

@Crimson : Some more insights of Yayaka to understand her. :p
Maybe your opinion has changed since the previous episode.

MusicalAlchemist said:
Maybe Cocona/Mimi are the only way to open Pure Illusion

They said the amorphus child can open it too. But maybe due to a connection with Mimi via the stones?
Dec 8, 2016 6:29 PM

Jul 2016
So Mimi is Cocona's mother? But wait, how was Papika her partner? Does she not age or something?
Papika looks exactly the same now as she was with Mimi, who is supposed to be Cocona's mother. wtf?
And Cocona's grandmother was a robot all along? Mind = Blown
Can't blame Cocona for having that dead look at the end; this episode was literally a mind-fuck.
Next episode can't come sooner!

@Djidji I think Yayaka has redeemed herself for me with this episode, she was basically another victim.
Though she will need to do a lot more than that to make me like her as much as I do Cocona and Papika .
CrimsonDec 10, 2016 12:54 PM

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Dec 8, 2016 6:47 PM

May 2012
On the subject of Papika, I think she might be created like the twins are. That would explain her not aging. Probably the other candidates to partner with Mimi were also created but did not survive the experience.

I'm a bit sad we've left Iroha's story in the dust.
Dec 8, 2016 6:50 PM
Jun 2015
Its interesting how mimi's eyes and hair and Papikana's hair both are matching opposites. Also, Cocona's eye color changes to red matching her mother's at the end of the episode. Hopefully it ties up well, unlike the show it is inspired from.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

191 by Touka »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2016

213 by Puncheon »»
Sep 11, 2:44 AM

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Bastodon »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.