Forum Settings
Forums

Seen an anime in a language other than Japanese or English?

New
Have you watched anime in a language other than Japanese or English?
Oct 1, 2018 7:26 PM

Nov 2011
I've just listened to the German cover of Attack on Titan, and even though I have no idea what the words mean, it sounded pretty "military" and frankly, amazing.
The French cover of SAO by Mioune was really well done.
The Italian opening of Tokyo Mew Mew by Cristina D'Averna was "magnifico".
Korean openings of the Precure series were all well done as well.
Portuguese opening of Dragon Ball Z was pretty good too.

if you are a native speaker / near fluent, what do you think of German/French/Italian/etc dubs?
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 1, 2018 7:31 PM

Nov 2008
I've seen a bit of Ranma and Lost Universe in Spanish....but the voices were pretty awful so I turned them off. XD

Oct 1, 2018 7:32 PM

Jul 2017
I remember when I went to Saudi Arabia years ago they had a channel that showed cartoons/anime all dubbed in Arabic. Couldn't understand anything at the time but it seemed lively
Oct 1, 2018 7:35 PM

Jan 2018
Have seen quite a few in Hindi language.
Oct 1, 2018 8:05 PM

Apr 2018
Yeah arabic and french dub sound good unlike eng dub

You can check my list if you want
I wrote next to each anime in what language i've watched it
Oct 1, 2018 8:50 PM

Oct 2014
I've seen anime in quite a number of languages.

English
Japanese
Korean
Chinese (Mandarin)
Arabic
Russian
Hindi
Spanish
Dutch
German
Greek
Hungarian

English, Spanish, Japanese, and French are the only languages I actually know with any real level. I just find it fun trying out other languages of dubs. Also, some anime are only available in some obscure dub so I won't turn the anime down just because it can't be watched in English or Japanese.

Since I generally can't understand these dubs I don't have that strong of opinions about them. Korean sounded really weird to me when I first listened to it, but after dealing a lot with Korean cartoons I came to appreciate the sound of the language.
Oct 1, 2018 9:23 PM

Oct 2010
I watched Dragon Ball in german and romanian, same Pokemon and Digimon. Sailor Moon and Milla Superstar only in romanian. I prefer sub though.
Oct 1, 2018 9:37 PM

Apr 2012
We have a local dub of one piece, dragonball, detective conan and in the past code geass, shakugan no shana and a lot more.
Signature removed. Please check your inbox
Oct 1, 2018 9:40 PM

Apr 2016
Since I live in India most of our cartoons are dubbed in Hindi. They used to be good. Most of them are just bad these days.
Oct 1, 2018 9:46 PM

Feb 2010
I grew up watching anime on german TV, so yes, at least a few dozen.

I've also seen korean and chinese anime in their respective languages

Plus occasionally you stumble upon a file with multiple audiotracks and check them out out of curiosity. I've gotten glances of spanish and russian dubs like that before too.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 1, 2018 9:50 PM

Feb 2018
I am from Germany so in the begining i always watched stuff in german.
German dubs tend to be pretty bad I remember the death note dub as a good one but I am not so sure if I would still say that today.
xShinigami3125Oct 1, 2018 10:18 PM
Oct 1, 2018 9:57 PM

May 2015
Only the first "season" of Condor Hero has a Japanese dub. The other two seasons don't have a Japanese dub so you had no choice but to watch them in Chinese...
Oct 1, 2018 10:01 PM
Jun 2016
German dubs tend to be pretty bad compared to japanese.
Oct 1, 2018 10:39 PM

Jun 2017
When I was kid I watched the Captain Tsubasa franchise and some other anime in Persian dub and I can say they're doing a great job for dubs but nowadays dubbing anime is completely forgotten
Oct 1, 2018 10:44 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Not really, I have never tried watching anime in any other languages besides English and Japanese.
Just a couple or so proper episodes of English by the way, so a denial obviously. I prefer my anime subbed in English and listening to the Japanese VAs instead.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 1, 2018 10:47 PM
Jul 2018
If stuff like Shinchan and Pokemon are considered proper anime, I have.
Oct 1, 2018 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
Lol i watch Animes in Italian...
I've seen only a few in english....
Oct 1, 2018 10:51 PM

May 2017
Besides japanese, Latin Spanish, my native tongue, and first 10 episodes of Dragon Ball GT on Spanish from Spain :P
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Oct 1, 2018 10:56 PM

Oct 2011
I've seen anime in Ukrainian, Russian, English, and Japanese. Ukrainian TV dub is pretty strange cause it's mostly translated from Russian, which translated from English, which translated from Japanese. So yeah. Subs are the best.
Oct 1, 2018 11:01 PM

Apr 2018
Omkar_Nagwade said:
Since I live in India most of our cartoons are dubbed in Hindi. They used to be good. Most of them are just bad these days.

Bad doesn't even come close to describing those pieces of trash.
Oct 1, 2018 11:11 PM

Mar 2017
Some of my first exposures to anime other than Toonami were from Tagalog dubs when they air in the two main national channels (ABS-CBN and GMA 7) as well as one of our own anime-exclusive channels like Hero TV. I've probably watched give or take a hundred anime series (several times just a couple of episodes, sometimes entire seasons and the complete series). There were some movies as well, mostly the World Masterpiece Theater works they used to air during Lenten.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Oct 1, 2018 11:23 PM

Jul 2013
I'm a Spaniard, so I grown up watching Spanish dubs. Heck, even when I started watching anime as a hobby, I watched some animes dubbed (like Blood-C or Saint Seiya The Lost Canvas), because I liked the voice actors. Nowadays I only watch subbed anime, since the dubs have gotten worse lately.
Oct 1, 2018 11:24 PM

Jun 2011
I watched Yugioh in a few languages. And I don't even know other languages. I just found it interesting. The Yugioh Italian OP is pretty spiffy. I watched Steamboy in Portuguese. I don't even know Portuguese. But the other audio choices (Japanese, English, French) were pretty terrible.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Oct 1, 2018 11:29 PM

Dec 2015
I have seen some Ghibli films in Estonian and they were pretty okay, I guess. There have also been some lazy dubs, that have only 1-2 voice actors and those were quite bad.

Oct 1, 2018 11:35 PM

Oct 2014
I’m French so yes. Actually, I think that animes in French suck... I mean, those for kids (Beyblade, Pokémon) and the most popular ones (Naruto, One Piece) are quite good, but even Dragon Ball is pretty awful (it doesn’t bother me because I used to watch it on TV when I was younger though). The best exemple I can give is this episode in Yuri!!! on Ice where they hired a French guy to do the voice of a French journalist. I really wondered if this was a real voice or a robot’s one... It always feels like there’s no emotion at all.

Well, it’s been years now since I’ve watched an anime in French, so maybe popular animes like SAO, Kuroko no Basket or Shingeki no Kyojin have decent dub version 🤷‍♀️

I also watched an anime in English and I really find the voices weird. Actually, I don’t even watch cartoons in English anymore, only films and series ^^’
Oct 1, 2018 11:37 PM

Oct 2010
Oh wow, when I started Attack on Titan I looked for a German dub but there was none, didn't know it had happened since. When I eventually rewatch the first season I'll go that route for sure. I don't even care if it's a good dub, it's THE RIGHT LANGUAGE.

Similarly, there's a French dub of Rose of Versailles. I would have tried harder to find it when I started the show, only I thought it important to see and assess it in its original form, given how lauded it is.

I watched three episodes of Spice & Wolf (in Japanese) and put it on hold, then happened to read that it had a good Russian dub. I rewatched the first episode in Russian and was powerfully entranced by Russian Holo. After that I did Russian every day for six months on Duolingo. Still haven't finished Spice & Wolf because I was wanting to learn more of the language first - if I could get it up to the level I understand Japanese at just from watching anime, that would be ideal. Sadly the second season Russian dub didn't have clean audio, so I'll have to switch to a different language to watch that.

I just love the sound of slavic languages. Sadly most Russian dubs I've found didn't have clean audio. I've found clean Russian dubs of Ghibli films, I plan to make my 7th viewing of Nausicaa the Russian version (and the 8th, the fanmade HD re-creation of Warriors of the Wind :PPPPPPP)

Crunchyroll has been uploading some foreign language dubs, but sadly they can't be watched with English subtitles.

Edit: You know you're writing sleepy when you use "sadly" three times in a row. The sadness is real. I need less Japanese voices in my life.
nDroaeOct 1, 2018 11:41 PM
Oct 1, 2018 11:39 PM

May 2009
I've been thinking of watching Aria the Animation's Italian dub and Scrapped Princess's German dub.

Sadly, there appears to be no Spanish dub of El Cazador de la Bruja, nor a Portuguese dub of Michiko e Hatchin.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 1, 2018 11:42 PM

Feb 2015
A lot of them. In Russian, Ukrainian, English, Polish.
Some of them weren't bad but I still prefer watching anime in Japanese.
Oct 1, 2018 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
I did see a snippet of a Sailor Moon Filipino dub (tbh it was quite hilarious even tho I'm from the Philippines). Haven't really heard anime in other languages such as French, Spanish, German etc.
Oct 1, 2018 11:53 PM

Jan 2013
I've never seen an anime dub in my native language (Polish), I only watched some anime movies with a voiceover. But when it comes to Polish dub in general (for western movies and cartoons), they can be really brilliant, especially the ones with professional actors. I love the dub for Shrek for example. Unfortunetely, the Polish dubs for anime on Netflix etc seem to be very amateurish based on the fragments I heard.
fuyukiOct 1, 2018 11:57 PM
Oct 1, 2018 11:53 PM

Nov 2011
thanks for your comments people :p

MissCactus said:
I’m French so yes. Actually, I think that animes in French suck... I mean, those for kids (Beyblade, Pokémon) and the most popular ones (Naruto, One Piece) are quite good, but even Dragon Ball is pretty awful (it doesn’t bother me because I used to watch it on TV when I was younger though). The best exemple I can give is this episode in Yuri!!! on Ice where they hired a French guy to do the voice of a French journalist. I really wondered if this was a real voice or a robot’s one... It always feels like there’s no emotion at all.

i would expect that French dubs of series like Yumeiro Patissiere and Gosick would be good because the setting is in France...or based of France. they actually use French sparingly in those shows, but they are supposedly not that great because of the Japanese accent.

nDroae said:
Oh wow, when I started Attack on Titan I looked for a German dub but there was none, didn't know it had happened since. When I eventually rewatch the first season I'll go that route for sure. I don't even care if it's a good dub, it's THE RIGHT LANGUAGE.

Similarly, there's a French dub of Rose of Versailles. I would have tried harder to find it when I started the show, only I thought it important to see and assess it in its original form, given how lauded it is.

I watched three episodes of Spice & Wolf (in Japanese) and put it on hold, then happened to read that it had a good Russian dub. I rewatched the first episode in Russian and was powerfully entranced by Russian Holo. After that I did Russian every day for six months on Duolingo. Still haven't finished Spice & Wolf because I was wanting to learn more of the language first - if I could get it up to the level I understand Japanese at just from watching anime, that would be ideal. Sadly the second season Russian dub didn't have clean audio, so I'll have to switch to a different language to watch that.

I just love the sound of slavic languages. Sadly most Russian dubs I've found didn't have clean audio. I've found clean Russian dubs of Ghibli films, I plan to make my 7th viewing of Nausicaa the Russian version (and the 8th, the fanmade HD re-creation of Warriors of the Wind :PPPPPPP)

Crunchyroll has been uploading some foreign language dubs, but sadly they can't be watched with English subtitles.

Edit: You know you're writing sleepy when you use "sadly" three times in a row. The sadness is real. I need less Japanese voices in my life.

Russian is a pretty interesting language, i agree! from what i recall, the VA of Anya (idolmaster Cinderell Girls) actually studied abroad in Russia to learn the language before voicing her character.
she also uses Russian ocasionally in the drama CDs.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 1, 2018 11:57 PM

Oct 2018
None of this above.
I usually watch anime in Chinese dub.
The guy just wants to be dead.
Oct 2, 2018 12:02 AM

Mar 2015
Ye most anime I watched in my childhood was in German and occasionally in Finnish.
Oct 2, 2018 1:04 AM

Aug 2013
When I was a kid and there was no other internet than 56k dial-up connection. But back then I didn't even know that I'm watching anime, so, well.
I didn't watch any dub (not only anime) for over 15 years now.
rsc-plOct 2, 2018 3:51 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 2, 2018 1:09 AM

Feb 2013
i watched the Armitage movie in italian because i watched it soon after the ova and decided to mix things up..

and ofc various kids show i watched on tv in romanian
Oct 2, 2018 1:12 AM

May 2015
Yes to the point I can't stand watching Dash! Kappei, Cowboy Bebop or Planetes in japanese.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2018 1:13 AM

Jul 2015
Started watching anime with Polish dub or voice-over as a child, it seemed pretty normal at the time but now it sounds just awful.
Not so often I watch some episodes in French or Chinese as well.
It's not as if I actually enjoy doing that lol. Only if there's no other choice.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 2, 2018 1:16 AM

Dec 2013
Of course I've seen a lot of children's anime in my native Finnish. As a kid, I got to enjoy such gems of voice acting as this:

They also broadcasted Sailor Moon in Swedish here, so I've seen that too.
Oct 2, 2018 1:21 AM

Jan 2013
In Polish since I'm from Poland. Shaman King or Naruto perhaps. Yoh's Polish voice suits him way better than his original which is rare, lmao.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Oct 2, 2018 1:23 AM

Jan 2017
Yeah, I watched a Chinese anime in Chinese. Does that count?

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Oct 2, 2018 3:32 AM
Feb 2016
There was First Squad (a Russian anime), which was sadly not very good. I'd like to see some more anime dubbed in Russian at least.

Oct 2, 2018 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
i think i had watched an anime movie in greek when i was 7
Oct 2, 2018 4:31 AM

Sep 2013
watched majority of 90s animes in brazilian portuguese since I'm Brazilian myself
Oct 2, 2018 4:35 AM

Sep 2018
ive seen a bunch of anime in filipino like gintama when i was a kid
listening back now, they were pretty.. eh...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 2, 2018 4:42 AM

Apr 2015
I once turned on the Spanish track on a DVD of Those Who Hunt Elves just because I was amazed they had it.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Oct 2, 2018 5:18 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Yup, but that's because I'm not a native English speaker.

There was a time it was popular to watch anime in English to show how "cool" you are for knowing another language.
Nowadays I watch anime with English subs just like "the rest of the world"
(so I can pause and have an easier time looking up w/e word idk the meaning of)
Oct 2, 2018 5:30 AM
Apr 2018
I've watched Sword Art Online more than half a year ago in German Dub, because (Warning: This is a little bit face palmy) I had no Internet and there was the First Season of SAO on my PS3 in German Dub. And here the facepalm part: I started watching Anime (SAO), because I was hungry and I have this Quirk that when I'm home and I have something to eat, I *have* to watch something. This is not only the answer to this forum but the answer to how I started Anime xD
Oct 2, 2018 5:56 AM

Jul 2017
I've watched a lot localized anime here in the Philippines when I was a kid.
Oct 2, 2018 5:57 AM

Jul 2015
I saw some anime in Hindi, enjoyed it.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

17 by Malkshake »»
1 minute ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

14 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

62 by delirific »»
12 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.