Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 1 Discussion

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side: Sword Oratoria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2017 8:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this episode bought back the familiar feeling of the series I remember before.

The main characters were introduced (with some of their levels). Animation and quality remains generally the same as the original series. There's no some fan service in this but I'm not really bothered by them. The Hiryute twins were probably most guilty of this.

I like the fantasy and adventurous feel of this episode and it jumped right into the show without wasting much time. Nice to see Bete in this as well (his voice is so recognizable tbh) even though he is still an asshole. Action wise, it felt like DanMachi again. Aiz is still quite a badass.

Stark700Apr 14, 2017 10:14 AM
Apr 14, 2017 9:53 AM

Apr 2010
There was only one bad part in this episode and luckily it was very short, it was the part where Hestia was shown.
other then that things where great.
Those caterpillars where interesting but since they where caterpillars it means they might transform into something even more powerful.
Anyway i enjoyed the episode.
Apr 14, 2017 10:53 AM

Dec 2015
Unfortunately we only got a small glimpse of the one and only true goddess Hestia, and Bell at the end was funny. I already dislike the Lafiya bitch, she has already been useless twice, I'm really hoping she improves and starts being competent otherwise her as the MC will be annoying to watch. A good first episode overall.
joe_g7Apr 14, 2017 9:07 PM
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Apr 14, 2017 10:55 AM

May 2015
welp im happy :DDD
Apr 14, 2017 11:10 AM

Jan 2015
I thought it was ok for a start. Was your basic intro and sample fight scene of what to expect going forward. That ending was pretty cool.
Apr 14, 2017 11:11 AM
Jan 2013
Can I watch this without any knowledge of the previous series?
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Apr 14, 2017 11:17 AM
Sep 2016
If I remember correctly in the ln there were at the beginning no lvl 6 or am I wrong
Apr 14, 2017 11:23 AM

Sep 2013
3/5

Ais is just awesome with her calm demeanor and quiet personality. She's whipping ass without breaking a sweat and killing things with ease. That's the reason why I like her the most in the series with Ryuu Lion being my 2nd favorite. She didn't get much screen time in the other series but she still became my favorite. I'm really excited to see more of her this time around.

There was a lot more fanservice than I thought there would be in the premiere episode but that's kinda expected with this series. It was cool to see Loki's familia do their thing and I'm stoked to see what has Ais been up to during the series.

Not much to write about here other than Ais has her own issues and Lefiya is inexperienced.

My inner child was a bit sad that they pronounced Uranus differently....
TehSnawnApr 14, 2017 11:37 AM

Apr 14, 2017 11:25 AM

Feb 2013
as long as they keep hestia away from this show, then it'll better than the main series... and please keep the fan service at minimum...

good start, really like the setting and the backsound

Apr 14, 2017 11:27 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Nothing very good for me with so much action already in this season to be honest. It's gonna be cool though seeing everything from Aiz' perspective, what her troubles are and so on.

Nice surprise transition for the fans at the end with Bell appearing and the moment led up to her saving him, nicely done.

Okay pardon me, it's a parallel story from what i hear, i thought it was a prequel with Aiz.
Apr 14, 2017 11:31 AM

Jan 2008
Seems like they cut one the two new monsters out :/ and whats up with the Lefiya focus...
The pacing is again too fast unfortunately.
Loose_ControlApr 14, 2017 11:34 AM
Apr 14, 2017 11:31 AM

Dec 2013
Watch it on Anime Strike if possible. Animelab/rips quality is just terrible:
https://diff.pics/TKzEIT0DTKDP/1

Animelab – your daily stop for eye cancer.
Apr 14, 2017 11:33 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Too much non-stop action for me. Not terrible but pretty meh
Apr 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Jan 2012
The parent was okayish, so why did they produce garbage-tier shit like this instead of a S2?

Guess virgins wanted to see more female chars.

The cast is shit and i see no storyline at all. Are we really following cliche-op-maingirl and cliche-pathetic-looser-maingirl for a whole season?
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Apr 14, 2017 11:45 AM

Jun 2015
This episode is way better than the entirety of season one. That is saying something. I really liked this episode. The action was great. Everyone is so strong. Got to see how Ais met Bell.
Apr 14, 2017 11:59 AM

Jun 2014
Based off this first episode, it feels like this spin-off is more centered around Lefiya than Ais lol.

I kind of liked how they ended this episode with the first scene of the first season. I guess this is taking place at the same time as the first season, just from Ais' perspective. Maybe I'll (try to) revisit it to refresh my memory, even though I found it to be pretty average.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 14, 2017 12:01 PM

Dec 2014
so the same story with a different side view..can't say it as good as the first one
Apr 14, 2017 12:02 PM

May 2012
Not much happening so far. Some foreboding of what's to come, maybe possible main antagonist too?

Aside from that, I liked that action-packed episode. It's cool to see things from Ais perspective. I don't remember her getting upset when Bell ran away in the parent story, so that was nice to see. Hope I can get around to liking Ais this time around.

I'd like to see more of what her familia thinks of Bell after the Minotaur fight later

Apr 14, 2017 12:08 PM

Dec 2016
Looking like a great way to quench my DanMachi thirst until Season Two of that hopefully comes out!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 14, 2017 12:11 PM

Jul 2012
Was much better than i expected, main story adaptation was not that good and i was reading manga for this side-story and just couldn't get into it. Mb all the fights and action being animated was what the manga needed. But that was only 1st episode, let's see hot it goes.
Apr 14, 2017 12:19 PM

Jun 2011
They cut so much out of the start of the manga even cutting out the huge monster they have to deal with. I don't think they will revisit the cut out bits either as they already made them go above ground again....
The large scale battles were also underwhelming and did not really showcase an entire familia fighting in some of the deepest explored floors of the dungeon. Instead they did these half assed solo fights with a few monsters around single people.

Honestly go read the first 4 chapters of the manga to see what you really missed out on because this is a very solid spin off and the manga is definitely worth a read. The spin off novel is also licensed in English which i also intend to read later. I was waiting for this anime but this first episode sure took the wind out of my sails.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Apr 14, 2017 12:25 PM

Oct 2010
Lelouch_Darsi said:
Can I watch this without any knowledge of the previous series?

Yes. Well, I'm doing that, and so is this guy:
hoshigaki_kisame said:
Uchihaaa said:

Can I Watch This, I Havent Seen The Original Dungeon Anime Tho...?

it would help to know the characters, however considering its not a direct sequel, infact its not a sequel at all, you should be ok

Aeonenleben said:
Guess virgins wanted to see more female chars.

Yeah, this one did, but based on the poster and the expectations thread, I thought their party wouldn't have males in it at all, let alone be led by one. That's disappointing, but oh well.
Apr 14, 2017 12:33 PM

May 2010
Ohh that tied nicely with the 1st episode (was it?) of the original. Good stuff. Lefiya annoyed me tho.
Apr 14, 2017 12:42 PM

Aug 2014
if anyone read the main source for this . are there going to be death scenes ? i would love to see that in here and not just another one of those " oh look how a new character showed up , a weak terrified one that becomes stronger and stronger then it ends with them all living happily ever after as a family"
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Apr 14, 2017 1:06 PM

Jan 2017
Really unimpressed, the original series wasn't anything amazing but I really enjoyed it none-the-less. Ais is clearly not exciting enough for a MC role; hence this Lefiya girl showing up and she is pure pathetic, design and ability. The amazon siters and the wolf guy are kind of cool and Ais is cool but only from a supporting character point of view.

Sure it's a cool idea to see what these guys were up to during the main series, but it's really boring so far. The main characters were immediately more interesting when first introduced (Bell and Hestia; as much as some of you seem to hate her, she was actually entertaining pretty much instantly).

Really hope I'm wrong but this has started off as a really boring filler season when we could be watching a continuation of the main story. Maybe they will overtake it and join the main series with some actually plot important stuff being revealed during this series that we didn't get to see in the original? I live in hope but expect to be disappointed.
Apr 14, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2012
This was too cheesy, I don't remember s1 was ever that cheesy. Also the siblings seem less brown than before #whitewashing

Who knows? this could be alright down the line.
Apr 14, 2017 1:25 PM

Sep 2015
Lets see how much screen time Bel will have here
1 Oneeee sama! 2 friend and 1 overpower 2nd main girl from main series

....is this why they adap danmachi?
Into the Internet!
Apr 14, 2017 1:29 PM

Oct 2010
@Aeonenleben Aww, now I'm sad. :( But mostly because a lot of caterpillars died in this episode. I like caterpillars.

EDIT: For posterity, here's the referenced photo of me from my profile http://andromedaroach.deviantart.com/art/Snow-Jumping-Spider-428853863

Maybe I should replace it with this one? https://www.last.fm/music/nDroae
nDroaeApr 14, 2017 6:12 PM
Apr 14, 2017 1:38 PM

Jan 2009
Aversa said:
There was only one bad part in this episode and luckily it was very short, it was the part where Hestia was shown.

This.
Nice start I guess.

Apr 2013
It's about time this show debuted, it's been a long wait. Nice first episode, nice small amounts of fanservice, and it's nice to see these characters again, only this time in a more central role. Aiz has a lot of internal reflections in the manga i read (iirc), there is a lot more to her than her usual very unexpressive outward appearance. It will be interesting to see how/if they choose to show the things on her mind, or if they just choose to focus on the things that happen around and to her.

Mar 2012
VanishingKira said:
The amazon chicks and the fanservice moments probably ain't enough reason to make this worth watching.

Danmachi was mediocre I expect this to be the same...

So far we were presented a bunch of cliché characters, and something that looks like a generic villain. Other than that and a few action scenes not much else happened so gotta watch the next episode to see if they finish setting up the plot.

At least DanMachi was fun with Bell and Hestia being silly, but seeming that they want to go with the "serious"/drama route in Oratoria, I've to say, after this episode I don't expect much either.
Apr 14, 2017 1:55 PM

Apr 2010
I'd rather have Danmachi s2 instead!! but oh well..
Apr 14, 2017 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
Yeah. I kind of liked it, but would've preferred S2 for DanMachi instead tbh
Apr 14, 2017 2:13 PM

Feb 2014
Apart from the subs, which were messy and not timed properly at times, I did enjoy the first episode honestly.

There was plenty of action and it was pretty good, and with the minotaurs scene, it tied pretty well to DanMachi season one's first episode with Bell if my memory recalls, which is a nice touch.

For Lefiya, she has a lot to learn so that she can fight for herself and not let others always bail her out of trouble all the time. I'm sure she'll be a pretty good asset to the team once she gets better as a mage and her confidence will surely grow too.

Not a great start, but it was still pretty good nonetheless.
Apr 14, 2017 2:26 PM

Sep 2013
It was alright, needed more aiz and less angry titty amazon which is inferior to flat chest amazon.
Elf will be one of the main focus too.
Apr 14, 2017 2:27 PM

Apr 2016
Aversa said:
other then that things where great.

Hestia is bestia, your statement is invalid.

Run with the Wind is criminally underrated.
Apr 14, 2017 2:31 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Very nice first episode, liked it alot. I'm glad that this is going to be focused more on Aiz and her team and develop her character a bit since she was the mute type of character in the original show. It's cool to see this mostly likely fill in the gaps for some events.
Apr 14, 2017 2:44 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty good start.

They introduced most of the characters and I must say I'm liking all of them so far.

The action was great and really entertaining to watch.
Loved the ending where they tied in the story of Bell's past and his meeting with Ais. We definitely need more Ais screentime though.
Apr 14, 2017 2:45 PM
Jun 2014
They're already cutting large chunks of content, changing scenes, replacing dialogue (which is already portraying characters differently) and forcing in some low quality fanservice instead. The Sword Oratoria LNs, while not quite as good as the main series, are still pretty good after the slow start but this adaptation is already setting off serious warning bells.
Apr 14, 2017 3:08 PM
Jan 2015
That was actually pretty good, we actually get to see the POV of the OP raid party.
My Queens

Apr 14, 2017 3:24 PM
Oct 2015
WOOT! Dan Machi is back. One of my favorite series of 2015 is kinda back. It appears they are gonna do something similar to Non Non Biyori and have the 2nd season run parallel to the 1st season, just with different stories about the same timelines. This, Nobunaga no Shinobi, and Berserk together on Fridays means Fridays are gonna be a good anime night.
Apr 14, 2017 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
I liked how the ending scene from the first season was worked into this episode.
Alright so far, not sure i'll be as interested focusing in on these characters.
Apr 14, 2017 4:29 PM

Sep 2015
welp, some characters were reintroduced and some characters more or less being introduced for the first time. nonetheless they all felt generic and meant to fill their archetypes, and that's about it. most of the episode consisted of action which somehow felt less engaging and less interesting than it did in the main story. there's also a small subplot about an elf trying to overcome her "fears", but i didn't care about that at all. the parent story was mediocre, and i don't expect any better coming from this show. however i'm not really invested to watch this week per week so i'll watch it when it's all finished.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Apr 14, 2017 4:37 PM

Apr 2013
Looking forward to the next episode.
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Apr 14, 2017 4:41 PM

Dec 2012
Well, I was expecting something since this got an 8.18. I guess my expectations were way too high.
Apr 14, 2017 4:56 PM

May 2015
This sure brings back memories. It's been 2 years after all since the first season. Hopefully the spin-off will be just as decent.

Good start. About time we get a focus on best girl.

Apr 14, 2017 5:02 PM

Oct 2010
Loixol said:
Well, I was expecting something since this got an 8.18. I guess my expectations were way too high.

It's opening day hype. It had an 8.5 this morning from ratings given before it even aired in Japan. It was at 8.31 with 1000 votes this afternoon, and this evening it's at 8.18 with 1,367, so you can see the general trend. It'll probably finish around 7.5, give or take.
Apr 14, 2017 5:02 PM

Jul 2015
Animation during fight scenes was bad
Apr 14, 2017 6:05 PM

May 2015
Let me get this straight... this is happening at the same time, just from the the Loki Familia & Ais point of view. Hmm... I hope this show give me more information about the mysteries we saw in Season 1. I want to understand the story more and what is actually happening behind the scenes.
Apr 14, 2017 6:07 PM

Sep 2011
I don't mind if this is the same story from a different perspective, but I don't have any interest in seeing a completely different side story. Im not sure where the source material is, but I am sad they didn't go for a direct continuation.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2017

70 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Feb 27, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2017

54 by Donkunsan »»
Feb 24, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2017

136 by F0LGORE_ »»
Feb 15, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2017

84 by F0LGORE_ »»
Feb 15, 9:03 AM

Poll: » Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2017

86 by F0LGORE_ »»
Feb 15, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.