Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2020 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh wow, it's Hanyuu. That brings back alot memories especially between her and Rika. Too bad they didn't use the original theme song from season 1 for the OP but I think the new one is alright.

Not going to lie, the first half of this episode was priceless especially with Rena teasing Kenichi and the others tickling him. An entertaining episode imo, mainly focused on the character interactions in the village between the main cast.

Rena sold this episode so well with her personality lol

Oct 8, 2020 8:02 AM

Aug 2015
I'm only basing this on comments from those who saw the raws, but Higu 2020 doesn't seem to be newb friendly.
Oct 8, 2020 8:45 AM

Oct 2018
The ep seems to follow the vn a bit more than the original with the sol scenes but not too sure I like the Hanyuu/Rika drop this early in the game...

I'm just afraid they'll reveal too much through them. Otherwise ep is pretty solid and slow pace.

Edit: Oh foolish me thinking this was a remake
BirdsanddrugsOct 8, 2020 10:15 AM
Oct 8, 2020 8:53 AM

Jun 2012
We jumped from Chapter 1 to 7 at the start.

This is going to be interesting. This was probably done to help explain things a little better later on in the series.
GlorditOct 8, 2020 8:58 AM
Oct 8, 2020 8:58 AM

Aug 2015
The new key visual kinda confirms this is actually a sequel, and not a remake. So hyped to see where this is going.
Oct 8, 2020 9:00 AM

Feb 2019
Heard the opening scene with Rika is a spoiler for the series, I don’t really care about spoilers. I don’t have the context to know what it even spoils as I’ve not read the VN or seen the original. A lot of the stuff people claim “spoil things” only makes sense if you have the full story.

I’m just going to enjoy this story for what it is and one day I’ll read the VN/watch the original.

Today’s episode was really good. Enjoyed the slice of life moments a lot. They kinda make you uncomfortable though because you know some shit’s about to go down. Everything’s cute for now, but you just have that dreadful feeling.

Always knew something was up with Photographer dude, either he was the feds or a bad guy and his rendezvous at the end there seems to confirm he’s hiding something

Edit:Something about the whole Yandere vibe Rena gives off is very hot.
Oct 8, 2020 9:00 AM
Dec 2017
Read this before jumping to conclusions.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1868686
Oh yeah, and Rika's dance was really well animated.
SondferOct 8, 2020 9:36 AM
Oct 8, 2020 9:01 AM
Apr 2019
Oct 8, 2020 9:10 AM

Apr 2009
Oh wow, so it is a sequel! Ryu you troll!

I'm taking everything back I said last episode. Very hyped. Hope it's worth it. The Rika last ep makes more sense now.
Oct 8, 2020 9:13 AM

Jan 2020
Wait so this is a sequel ???
Oct 8, 2020 9:14 AM

Sep 2012
Could it be...
https://i.imgur.com/sPRPN5M.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HSazLqk.png

ANGE and Featherine from Umineko? O_O
The OP was a banger, but the show's kinda cheap. Not sure if they can amp the budget up when it counts, but seems kind of weak as a first introduction to Higurashi for people.
Oct 8, 2020 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
I really need to start the second season of this series. I'm not sure if this Hanyuu character is a spoiler or whether this is a remake or sequel. Anyways, I'll watch Kai before watching the next episode.

As for the episode, it was a nice one. Things are about to go down.

Oct 8, 2020 9:16 AM

Apr 2009
Oct 8, 2020 9:21 AM

Oct 2017
God that was a nice joke, this ain't a remake and it's official now. Thou I'm interested to see what direction this will take since Hanyuu was brought out this fast.
Oct 8, 2020 9:21 AM

Apr 2009
Vapsiainen said:
Wow..So they just give away the whole mystery of Higurashi and Rika in the second episode? I'm dissapointed.

It's not a remake, it's a sequel.
Oct 8, 2020 9:23 AM

Jan 2015
Lmaoooooo y’all we got trolled, this ain’t a remake at all. Rika focus from the start. I just know many people won’t like it. Also, I don’t think this is a sequel, it looks more like of a re-imagined version of the story to me.
Good episode nonetheless, quite a slow placed one. Can’t wait to see how this develops

Also, umineko characters in the OP? Whaaat?
XenocrisiOct 8, 2020 9:28 AM
Oct 8, 2020 9:25 AM

Sep 2019
Wait, what? I thought this was a remake and 1st episode was almost as same as Higurashi's 1st episode. Are they trying to fit the whole vn in 12/24 episodes?
Oct 8, 2020 9:25 AM

Aug 2015
BRUH

Oct 8, 2020 9:27 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
There's denying the iconic original, but this is an opening theme I can 100% get behind.

And uh... yeah... this is quite the twist o__o
Oct 8, 2020 9:27 AM

Nov 2008
oh we got japed the house down with that first episode
Oct 8, 2020 9:30 AM

Jun 2007
So this is all of Higurashi from Rika's perspective? I'm honestly mindfucked. They seemed to have combined the first and sixth story arc with a dash of Hanyuu sprinkled in.

I'm majorly intrigued, but I wasn't expecting this at all.

Also, new OP and ED are... wow. Time to rewatch them a dozen times.

They really went out of their way to portray

Edit: Oh yeah, could those be Umineko charas?!
Oct 8, 2020 9:32 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well uh

They sure took this in a very different direction than I expected

Totally different target audience now but I'm intrigued o.o
Oct 8, 2020 9:33 AM

Jan 2019
ovy7 said:
BRUH

LOL...will they maybe go on a path that also implies Umineko characters or elements from there? If is that so I'm gonna get very hooked up with this new version
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Oct 8, 2020 9:33 AM
Sep 2018
If this truly is a sequel then that makes me really happy. Ah, this season looks actually pretty good :) I don't get though why Rika isn't doing anything against this turning out like the first iteration of S01. That being said it's over 10 years since I watched the original...
Oct 8, 2020 9:34 AM
Aug 2016
Well, it's nice to know that this is a new fragment (called Onidamashi) rather than simply a remake of Onikakushi. For anyone who was worried about the after-credits spoiler last episode, Ryukishi07 seems to be doing something a bit different with that.
Oct 8, 2020 9:35 AM

Aug 2015
Emillian said:
ovy7 said:
BRUH

LOL...will they maybe go on a path that also implies Umineko characters or elements from there? If is that so I'm gonna get very hooked up with this new version

I mean, the original anime already showed
, but this is taking it the next step.

Inb4 Umineko adaptation after this xD
Oct 8, 2020 9:36 AM

Jan 2019
ovy7 said:
Emillian said:

I REALLY hope for one as well since Umineko DOESN'T HAVE an actual adaptation 0_0
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Oct 8, 2020 9:37 AM

Oct 2008
Was that first line mistranslated? Shouldn't it be, "I thought I'd no longer see you(r face) after waking up." instead of "I was wondering why I didn't see you when I woke up."
Oct 8, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2008
jTiKey said:

If this happens I'm going to freak out so hard!!
Oct 8, 2020 9:48 AM

Sep 2012
Gar_Logan said:
jTiKey said:

If this happens I'm going to freak out so hard!!

Umineko chads, REJOICE!
Oct 8, 2020 9:51 AM
Aug 2016
Actar said:
Was that first line mistranslated? Shouldn't it be, "I thought I'd no longer see you(r face) after waking up." instead of "I was wondering why I didn't see you when I woke up."

I can't tell if it was translated correctly or not, but I don't know why it wouldn't be.
Oct 8, 2020 9:55 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
All the SoL moment gave me nostalgia from the first series lol especially the zombie play and Rika dancing.
I'm disappointed by the opening though, I really thought it was going to be the same as in the first version but nah it's just a very forgettable one this time :(

But well ok with Hanyuu appearance at ep 2 it's not a remake at all...xD
AshhkOct 8, 2020 10:01 AM
Oct 8, 2020 9:59 AM

Sep 2012
blueeyedfrog said:
Actar said:

I can't tell if it was translated correctly or not, but I don't know why it wouldn't be.

もう目が覚めたとき、最初にあんたの顔を見ることはないって思ってたわ。
I'd like to chime in on proper contextual translation of the line, but I'm probably going to lose context here.
もう目が覚めたとき - can mean "again, when I woke up" or can mean "anymore, when I woke up..."
最初にあんたの顔を見ることはないって思ってたわ - in the beginning (at first), I thought I won't be able to see your face.
So:
"When I woke up, I thought I wouldn't be able to see your face anymore/again."

I think this is referring to just moments before when she woke up and she started staring out into the distance the wrong way, towards the temple.

Vladz0rOct 8, 2020 10:03 AM
Oct 8, 2020 10:04 AM

May 2020
Xenocrisi said:
Lmaoooooo y’all we got trolled, this ain’t a remake at all. Rika focus from the start. I just know many people won’t like it. Also, I don’t think this is a sequel, it looks more like of a re-imagined version of the story to me.
Good episode nonetheless, quite a slow placed one. Can’t wait to see how this develops

Also, umineko characters in the OP? Whaaat?

umineko who??????????
Oct 8, 2020 10:04 AM
Sep 2020
Okay. So I'm completely new to Higurashi series. After reading the comments above I want to know if I should watch the original series first or is this one okay for a newcomer? Some people are saying that it's kind of a sequel. So I'm kind of worried about that. I haven't watched the second episode yet.
Oct 8, 2020 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
wow now im super confused. that new scene at the beginning, is this a sequel?!
Oct 8, 2020 10:06 AM

Nov 2016
*Satoko laugh*

Yeah, now this is going to be hella interesting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 8, 2020 10:06 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
_Shiroyasha said:
Okay. So I'm completely new to Higurashi series. After reading the comments above I want to know if I should watch the original series first or is this one okay for a newcomer? Some people are saying that it's kind of a sequel. So I'm kind of worried about that. I haven't watched the second episode yet.
It's definitely going to be different than the first version, you probably need to stop this one, watch the original version or play the VN then continue this version after
Oct 8, 2020 10:07 AM
Dec 2007
Looks like we have a new name for the show, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou. I get the feeling this is doing a Final Fantasy 7 Remake style "reboot"
Oct 8, 2020 10:07 AM
Sep 2020
Ashhk said:
_Shiroyasha said:
It's definitely going to be different than the first version, you probably need to stop this one, watch the original version or play the VN then continue this version after
Okay. Thanks for the info.
Oct 8, 2020 10:08 AM

Jul 2016
ovy7 said:
Emillian said:

now this is a different kind of hype more than Higurashi remake/sequel, umineko character?! Ryukishi-sensei is trolling us xD
Oct 8, 2020 10:09 AM

Jul 2017
_Shiroyasha said:

i say watch the original! i think you'll enjoy this version more that way, plus the original is great. im not certain if this is a sequel yet, but there is a bunch of new scenes added in so maybe ! :o
Oct 8, 2020 10:10 AM
Jan 2011
Marinate1016 said:
Heard the opening scene with Rika is a spoiler for the series, I don’t really care about spoilers. I don’t have the context to know what it even spoils as I’ve not read the VN or seen the original. A lot of the stuff people claim “spoil things” only makes sense if you have the full story.

While you're totally right that often times people claim something spoils while it doesn't if you don't have context, this is the kind of stuff that IS going to spoil the whole mystery (and many main plot elements) of Higurashi. You won't know what the spoiler exactly is right now, but if/when you do ever go back to read the VN or watch the DEEN anime, you're going to be spoiled.

This is a full on sequel, there's many things that happened that didn't get explained for newcomers. (Referring to things that only you would know if you know the original story).

If you really don't care about spoilers go ahead, but just a warning because having such big spoilers will make the original way less enjoyable as it is primarily a mystery, and much of the suspense/horror will be gone if you know the answers to that mystery.
Oct 8, 2020 10:11 AM

Aug 2015
Ryukishi's face when this episode aired:
Oct 8, 2020 10:15 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
Okay. I've been bamboozled. I... I didn't expect any of that. So many implications.

I need more.
Oct 8, 2020 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
*** First - Timer
This episode was like one of the BRUH moments.
So, In the 2nd episode, are you going to tell me that there are Fucking multiple timeline character's conscious shifts going on. The visuals were lovely, and the low key creeps were coming throughout the episode.

But the episode confused me a bit. I can't come up with a way to explain the fact that the show has a 'show all tell nothing' kind of vibe going on, but this is confusing me a little.

{Maybe, I am overseeing things. It feels like a moe faced - Serial Experiment Lain-Esque show relying upon the multiple timelines, to Steins Gate, a person.}
Oct 8, 2020 10:16 AM

Oct 2008
Vladz0r said:
blueeyedfrog said:

もう目が覚めたとき、最初にあんたの顔を見ることはないって思ってたわ。
I'd like to chime in on proper contextual translation of the line, but I'm probably going to lose context here.
もう目が覚めたとき - can mean "again, when I woke up" or can mean "anymore, when I woke up..."
最初にあんたの顔を見ることはないって思ってたわ - in the beginning (at first), I thought I won't be able to see your face.
So:
"When I woke up, I thought I wouldn't be able to see your face anymore/again."

I think this is referring to just moments before when she woke up and she started staring out into the distance the wrong way, towards the temple.

Thanks for the input! However, that line in particular stood out to me was because it didn't really make sense in context.
Oct 8, 2020 10:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interesting, introducing Hanyu within the first minute of the second episode is certainly not what I saw coming yesterday xD. Currently trying to keep my expectations in check, and that's really tough mind you. Seriously though, when I said I was looking forward to seeing Hanyu back most to @Liddo-kun, this isn't what I meant lol.

Op and ED may not be as iconic as the 1st Op & ED but I like the aesthetics of the two. Definitely contains a lot of info but I don't think the anime-onlies will catch on too much from them so it gets an approved mark from me. Going to tune on to them a dozen times before next week's episode airs, lol.

Loving these SOL moments but adding a pinch of dark Rena here and there is starting to really feel like Deen's 1st season. Lol, the hide-and-seek events played out slightly different but fantastic nonetheless. Mion-san, too pro!

Can't wait for more! New Higurashi ride, count me in!

Edit: Rika running in desperation from the Op reminds me of a similar kind of sequence from the Kai Op, I must say.
_MushiRock11_Oct 8, 2020 10:26 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 8, 2020 10:19 AM
Feb 2019
This is feels more like a sequel rather than a remake since so much was exposed already. If so, the post-credit scene from last episode makes sense. Great episode overall!
RxioOct 29, 2020 12:18 PM
Oct 8, 2020 10:19 AM
Jun 2016
anstar019 said:
*** First - Timer
This episode was like one of the BRUH moments.
So, In the 2nd episode, are you going to tell me that there are Fucking multiple timeline character's conscious shifts going on. The visuals were lovely, and the low key creeps were coming throughout the episode.

But the episode confused me a bit. I can't come up with a way to explain the fact that the show has a 'show all tell nothing' kind of vibe going on, but this is confusing me a little.

{Maybe, I am overseeing things. It feels like a moe faced - Serial Experiment Lain-Esque show relying upon the multiple timelines, to Steins Gate, a person.}

It's normal for you to be confused since this is the third season of Higurashi
Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

395 by Stinkyanimebrap »»
Mar 19, 9:57 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

314 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2021

323 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 14, 2021

317 by Drinzen »»
Feb 20, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

166 by Drinzen »»
Feb 17, 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.