Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 23, 2018 4:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nice, the adventures truly begin.

From the way it goes through the road trip to the equipment and enthuaism, it really felt like the pacing picked up. There's even that chilling feeling of the weather. I really like how the episode showed the group enjoying themselves so far and I'm looking forward to more.

Mari is also such a fun character to watch in this show especially now that they are in a different environment.
Stark700Jan 23, 2018 4:32 AM
Jan 23, 2018 4:49 AM

Apr 2010
Seems someone had to make up with her mother which was to be expected.
Anyway the trip seemed like fun even if it was training.
The girls still have a lot to learn but it seems like they are getting there which is nice to see.
Jan 23, 2018 6:07 AM

Apr 2016
Damn, this was good.

And of course there must be some kind of training before someone (especially high school student) can go to Antarctica. The ending scene with four of them watching sunrise was nice.

Jan 23, 2018 6:15 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

The beginning with Mari and her sister analyzing their Mom was hilarious. XD
The part after that when Mari's Dad closed the door after seeing her Mom was absolute gold. XDD

Watching the girls train was a lot of fun.
'Shut talking now' was really funny.

Looks like Shirase's Mom probably is dead.

The sunrise at the end was really beautiful. :)

That post ED scene. :o
Jan 23, 2018 6:16 AM

Jan 2012
Gah! The girls looked so cute wrapped up and wiggling around in the title card like that! Yeah, I was wondering when Mari was gonna finally get around to telling mom. Hilarious horror movie-esque reaction and father abandonment. XD So Gin, the woman teased last week, is their Captain and Shirase's mom's friend. It certainly seemed to imply her mom is dead this week, but we'll see. Nice to see the girls finally practicing some field work. Enjoy that beautiful sunrise girls. :) Wonder if that very brief post-credits scene was meant to be a teaser for something ahead...
Jan 23, 2018 6:29 AM

Feb 2014
This is definitely my AOTS at the moment. I wonder how many episodes are going to be spent in Antarctica. Hope we are there by episode 8.
Jan 23, 2018 6:31 AM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Before Kimari could go to Antarctica, she would have to tell all about it to her mom first. I like the parts where the sisters are analyzing their mom but eventually turned into a horror movie like scene. xD Kimari's dad can't say a thing if the mother is the authority in their household. xP

The girls started learning the ropes by practicing some field work outdoors. And they couldn't stop having a good time before going to sleep inside their tents. <3 When morning came, the girls got to enjoy viewing the beautiful sunrise. :3 I'm wondering what's up with the post credits scene..

I just loooove the mini animations in the title card for every episode! They always put a smile on my face. ^^ Well, every episode of this anime puts a wide smile on my face anyways, so win-win! xD
Jan 23, 2018 7:22 AM

Dec 2017
I can somewhat relate to Kimari. I had to have a report signed by my mom, but it was so bad I replicated her autograph :D

And that glasses girl has been a background character so far, but that post-ED part is definitely flagging something.

Welp, the pacing is excellent so far but we still have to see Fremantle and the trip on the icebreaker itself. AOTS
Jan 23, 2018 7:34 AM

Sep 2015
I have been thinking A Place Further Than The Universe lately. After watching the fourth episode, it has come to my attention that the story could become as grim-dark as Made in Abyss. In some ways, Antarctica is like the Abyss. As cute and innocent this anime is, I can see a surprise direction like this happening. Just imagining it gets me more excited about this anime's story, do you think such direction will happen?
Jan 23, 2018 7:35 AM

Jul 2015
The dad closing the door had me on tears, that scene was comedic gold.

Incredible episode that gets us very close to the start of their adventure, I liked that there wasn't any other random block to their objectives, now they just need to get prepared so they enjoy the experience and come back safely, this anime is so promising.
Jan 23, 2018 7:42 AM

Nov 2014
Mari's imagined confrontation with her mom was brilliant. XD Now she has to pass her classes to go to Antarctica. The leader of their expedition will be a friend of Shirase's mom, Gin Toudou. Gin seems very stern and aloof; Shirase is meek in her presence.

That lost shot was gorgeous. Some of the best art of the season right here.

5/5
Jan 23, 2018 7:44 AM

Dec 2015
Really enjoyed this episode. A bit more of a serious episode, but nevertheless fun. I liked that the training and lecture was actually being shown, nice to learn about expeditions and not just gloss over it with short scenes. 5/5

We have been getting insert songs every episode now. They really add to the scenes, making them more emotional.

Also I really loved that "Please Shut Talkin Now" scene. I was wondering if the translators messed up, but the way the characters actually addressed it was amazing.

Jan 23, 2018 8:19 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Now that they managed to join the expedition its a dream no longer. But that scene with her mother though really was thrilling. The conditions that her mother set though was more normal than expected. Hinata sure has an interesting view on school though. Looking at the state of that van i would say that they really lack in funding. Despite having no native population Antarctica sure has a lot of rules surrounding its use. So their first hurdle is learning to navigate via a map and GPS and route marking. The tent talk though was hillarious. So the captain was the one that told Shirase the bad news back then. Its nice to see that as a result of meeting the others that Mari is now even more determined to go. A excellent episode as always. And now the adventure truly begins.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2018 9:07 AM

Jul 2015
I got my Yuru Camp moment earlier this week.
Jan 23, 2018 9:35 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The bond these four share already is very heartwarming, they laugh about the most simple things, it's great.

That whole mom and daughter sequence in the beginning was hilarious XD

The senpais give off the impression that Shirase's mom is not here anymore.
Jan 23, 2018 9:52 AM

Sep 2013
Kimari talking about the thing she wants to do on the Antartica and I just couldn't stop thinking that then she should start studing then. I also feel that Shirase's mom is dead but deep inside me I hope she is actually not, we will just have to wait.
I wonder how a shaved ice would taste on the Antartica.
"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious."
FAL SPRING 2019 Rank 650 FAL FALL 2019 Rank 136
Jan 23, 2018 9:55 AM

Jul 2017
Just finished my second watch, first one was on the Crunchyroll phone app.

Shirase got her permission. Who's her guardian? I can't remember any talk of her father. (EDIT: Just popped in to my head, they were at her grandmother's house at the start of the last episode). She probably forged it anyway, nothing is stopping her now.

Mari on the other hand has to pass her tests after her mum calmed down. That's twice she's tried to kill Mari LOL. I wonder if Megumi will help or hinder in this, she seems very lonely and is back tracking in her support a bit after giving Mari that initial push.

They seem to be taking their training seriously, which is a good thing.

I wonder if Shirase blames Gin or was just upset because seeing her reminds her of her mum.

That sunrise was stunning!
D1tchd1ggerJan 23, 2018 10:09 AM
Jan 23, 2018 10:02 AM

Jan 2016
Stunning. The funny thing is that everytime a new episode comes out I don't feel that excited but I'm left speechless by how good it is after the episode ends. Brilliant!
Jan 23, 2018 10:03 AM

Dec 2016
God, this show is amazing.
Jan 23, 2018 10:03 AM

Oct 2016
The scene with Mari and her mom was awesome. Loved when her dad was like "Nope, not gonna get involved in this".

5/5
Jan 23, 2018 10:22 AM

Mar 2013
the part with mari chan and her mom was my favorite part especially when her sister left the minute things went wrong and even funnier when the dad did it too. finally the preparations for the trip are almost complete but first they need training also all hail mari the compasser.
Jan 23, 2018 10:26 AM
Nov 2017
AdrianRubinsky said:
I got my Yuru Camp moment earlier this week.
Definitely. These two shows in the same season are wonderful.
--------

Another fun episode, the visuals towards the end were fantastic. My favorite moment would have to be this:
Jan 23, 2018 10:55 AM

Jun 2015
The dad closing the door after seeing the mother was hilarious. She was quite scary. The girls have now started their training before going to Antarctica. Them watching the sunrise was beautiful.
Jan 23, 2018 11:01 AM

Sep 2016
another dad scared of his wife lmao
it seems we get some drama with jealous glasses best friend
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 23, 2018 11:16 AM

Jun 2016
cute girls on poles. they went camping to practice, i don't hate this show.

Jan 23, 2018 11:24 AM

Nov 2016
Laughed my ass off over the part with Mari and her mother,the father already knew it's better to step back xD

Loved the sunrise scene too,that was so beautiful.

Post ending scene is hinting that there might be trouble next week.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2018 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
Huh I had hoped for more plot, a better buildup for the relation between the characters and Toudou Gin.
Well, at least it's still a fun episode.
Jan 23, 2018 12:06 PM

Apr 2016
Another great episode!
That family scene was pure gold.
Jan 23, 2018 12:26 PM

Nov 2016
I'm in love with this anime. I'm truly enjoying every second of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2018 12:44 PM

Sep 2013
Mountain training, mari gets in toruble for not telling mom and shirase is on edge because the woman that with her mom is the captain.
Mari's friend being lonely, she is wasting her youth and it's good contrast to mari who isn't :(
Jan 23, 2018 12:50 PM

Feb 2007
What is wrong with this family...? Or should I just ask what isn't? :D
Jan 23, 2018 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
Oh yeah, this episode was quite training-arc which they are still not done yet. So hopefully by episode 6 hopefully.

Btw, main character is growing is quite unlikable for me and Shirase's mood is here and there. But good thing this episode gone fast like never before!

removed-userJan 23, 2018 2:18 PM
Jan 23, 2018 1:17 PM

Sep 2011
aikaflip said:
Mari's imagined confrontation with her mom was brilliant. XD Now she has to pass her classes to go to Antarctica. The leader of their expedition will be a friend of Shirase's mom, Gin Toudou. Gin seems very stern and aloof; Shirase is meek in her presence.

5/5

I don't think she was being meek. Brooding is the term I would use. Probably has attached some sense of blame on her as both her mother and Gin went to Antarctica and only Gin came back.

Also why are people being surprised that the mother is dead? It was pretty obvious from the first episode! The only way could be alive is if space aliens kidnapped her, as in not very likely!
scruffykiwiJan 23, 2018 2:01 PM
Jan 23, 2018 1:46 PM

Apr 2016
The sister and the father just withdrawing and letting Mari alone with the mother made me laugh out loud.
The music, the shots, the scream, the sound effect, the voice acting, just a perfect comedy moment.

scruffykiwi said:

Also why are people being surprised that the mother is dead? It was pretty obvious from the first episode! The only way could be alive is if space aliens kidnapped her, as in not very likely!

I was hoping it would be a family or work issue.

Family : after some divorces in Japan it seems some children don't get the right to see the second parent ... ever (or at least not until they're adult).

Work : The mother would put work before everything else (like family) and just did not come back yet in 2 years. There are parents like that.

I still hope to be honest even though I'm not too optimist but I'm surprised they didn't "say the word" "dead" yet and I wonder why they keep it for later.
Jan 23, 2018 1:46 PM

Feb 2016
The art is Gorgeous!
that's 10/10 right there, hope to see more outstanding shots like this on the next episodes!
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 23, 2018 1:47 PM

Feb 2016
aikaflip said:

5/5

Wow, nice one!, you used 2 pics right there right?
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 23, 2018 1:59 PM

Nov 2007
This anime continues to impress me. But I wouldn't want to try shaved ice if I were there in Antarctica with my experience in the mountains north. :P

Man, Kimari's personality is almost the same as mine (although I have been a better student). I remember I would never let the night end without talking for hours, be it mentioning grizzly attacks or ghost stories! I remember there was a time eight of us friends stayed in a 4 people tent because the stories went out of control and we decided to stay in the same tent, and it was so cramp!

That's straight four 5/5s from me!

aikaflip said:
Mari's imagined confrontation with her mom was brilliant. XD Now she has to pass her classes to go to Antarctica.

That's what they always their children to do. Parents are usually like that. :D

scruffykiwi said:
I don't think she was being meek. Brooding is the term I would use. Probably has attached some sense of blame on her as both went to Antarctica and only the friend came back.

That was almost a giveaway in the first episode but I still wanted to think there could be some other reason. I cannot find any other reason. They should at least tell her family. I think it's only Shirase who doesn't know about her mother's situation. And if you noticed, one of the iron rules is to never leave a member behind. To Shirase, Gin left her mom behind.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 23, 2018 2:02 PM

Feb 2007
SkyDrop said:
Btw, main character is growing is growing quite unlikable

Interestingly enough, it was quite the opposite for me, especially after they reorganized the work after the initial mistakes and she turned out to be actually useful with the compass, and with how she brought the group even closer together with the sunrise scene.
Jan 23, 2018 2:03 PM

Apr 2015
That moment Mari walked into the door, was too funny! That shot at the end is gorgeous! It was honestly breathtaking! Can't stop looking at it. 5/5 Looking forward for more!
Jan 23, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2011
shanimebib said:
This anime continues to impress me. But I wouldn't want to try shaved ice if I were there in Antarctica with my experience in the mountains north. :P

Man, Kimari's personality is almost the same as mine (although I have been a better student). I remember I would never let the night end without talking for hours, be it mentioning grizzly attacks or ghost stories! I remember there was a time eight of us friends stayed in a 4 people tent because the stories went out of control and we decided to stay in the same tent, and it was so cramp!

That's straight four 5/5s from me!

aikaflip said:
Mari's imagined confrontation with her mom was brilliant. XD Now she has to pass her classes to go to Antarctica.

That's what they always their children to do. Parents are usually like that. :D

scruffykiwi said:
I don't think she was being meek. Brooding is the term I would use. Probably has attached some sense of blame on her as both went to Antarctica and only the friend came back.

That was almost a giveaway in the first episode but I still wanted to think there could be some other reason. I cannot find any other reason. They should at least tell her family. I think it's only Shirase who doesn't know about her mother's situation. And if you noticed, one of the iron rules is to never leave a member behind. To Shirase, Gin left her mom behind.

Shirase is well aware of her mother's death, although she may have processed it bit like Rikka in "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!". That flashback scene in this episode showed Gin visiting the house shrine where you remember the dead of the household.
Jan 23, 2018 2:09 PM

Dec 2015
Damn, each episode just keeps topping the previous one in terms of just being a pure delight. I now also have a new found appreciation for the amazing directing and shot compositions of this show. Every scene just flows so nicely into the next, and that last scene... DAMN.

Also, the scene with the Mari's mom was one of the funniest scenes of the season XD
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 23, 2018 2:22 PM

Dec 2015
Don't really have much to add, show is amazing. I feel really bad for the glasses girl. I hope nothing really bad happens.
Jan 23, 2018 2:41 PM

Nov 2007
scruffykiwi said:
shanimebib said:

Shirase is well aware of her mother's death, although she may have processed it bit like Rikka in "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!". That flashback scene in this episode showed Gin visiting the house shrine where you remember the dead of the household.

I know. There is that possibility as well. Yet, they haven't showed who she was sending her prayers for. It's a Japanese religious tradition when people who know each other pay the family shrine a respect. It doesn't necessarily have to be her mother's considering Gin has been with Shirase's mom since they were high schoolers.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 23, 2018 2:53 PM

Dec 2013
Absolutely lovely episode. Mari's mom was so OP, even her dad had to close the door and stay outside to let her deal with their daughter. Seeing Mari and her sister analyzing her mood in the kitchen was hilarious, though I was actually surprised that she just went out and stole her mom's signature and personal chop to negotiate the permission form FIRST. Totally understandable that her mom would beat her ass because of that, haha.

Watching the girls interact with each other is a treat as well, Yuzuki the lethargic youngest, Hinata the Gung-ho leader, Shirase the serious girl, and of course our Mari the ditzy-yet-insightful glue of the group. Each one of them are unique and yet their chemistry together is wonderful to behold. I keep thinking at the back of my head just what would happen if they ended up fighting with one another, but given their personalities, I'm also not expecting something like that to happen.

Seeing the girls interactions with the older members of the expidition squad gave some insight to Shirase's past, and I'm looking forward to learning a bit more.

The post ED scene was a bit ominous, though I don't think it's going to be a major issue, given that's Mari's friend from school, no? Maybe she's feeling a bit excluded from her current life right now.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 23, 2018 3:18 PM

Oct 2012
That horror segment with her mom was really unnecessary, I'm getting sick of this baseless comedy. Other than that it wasn't bad episode but by now Yuru camp is probably better.

Anyway, I'm beginning to think that they may actually never leave to Antarctica in the end. I mean, there are still many things than needs to be resolved. And they seriously need to stop dancing around the fate of her mom - they should clearly say whether she's dead or not. I mean, that's probably the first question any character would ask them yet the plot of this anime denies us of this knowledge.

If she's alive - why did they even left her there (for several years??) And if not they need to spell the reason before their planned expedition (that gets probably cancelled because of funding as a twist). So they won't go to Antarctica but they would have their friendship memories... even though this would be pretty hard trolling from the creators and I don't know if I like it.
Jan 23, 2018 3:44 PM
Mar 2015
Dad knows better than to get between his wife and his daughter After that sunrise it on to Antrarctica
Jan 23, 2018 4:08 PM

May 2015
Whether it's comedy, serious stuff or heartwarming stuff, this show knows how to do it all perfectly.

Another fantastic episode.

Jan 23, 2018 4:59 PM
Apr 2016
BluePikmin11 said:
I have been thinking A Place Further Than The Universe lately. After watching the fourth episode, it has come to my attention that the story could become as grim-dark as Made in Abyss. In some ways, Antarctica is like the Abyss. As cute and innocent this anime is, I can see a surprise direction like this happening. Just imagining it gets me more excited about this anime's story, do you think such direction will happen?

I doubt that will happen, this seems to be more of a 'feel-good' anime than Made in Abyss and it doesn't have the same rating that suggest that it will turn dark.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Jan 23, 2018 5:36 PM
Oct 2017
during the training outside I thought they would meet Rin and Nadeshiko
otherwise Kimari's family scares
Jan 23, 2018 5:48 PM

Oct 2013
The scene with Mari and her mom was a great piece of anime! The cut back and forth between Mari's nervous face, the back of mom's head, and the knife slicing through the carrot had an Alfred Hitchcock feel, except that it was at the same time hilarious! When Mari flees toward the front door and mom emerges from the kitchen, at first I thought she still had the knife in her hand, but when it is revealed as the ladle it was another hilarious moment. Dad's reaction was priceless.

The sequences of training were fairly cool. Showing them learning navigation techniques and surveying was realistic to a degree, but please Mari, next time wear boots!! Imagine that she would be climbing over a mountainside in Chuck Taylor's!!!!

The conclusion of this most excellent episode with Mari bonding with the Captain and finally the four watching the sunrise was very nice. They even struck a classic pose with their faces to the rising sun.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.