Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 15, 2017 9:38 PM

Feb 2008
I hated this episode. Dia better not die. Please.

Please. Come on, Bort.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Dec 15, 2017 9:45 PM
Nov 2017
zeroj said:
I hated this episode. Dia better not die. Please.

Please. Come on, Bort.
Did you see the ep preview?
Dec 16, 2017 3:24 AM

Sep 2017
Need more!
Damn, that cgi is so good!
I'm gay.
Dec 16, 2017 11:10 AM

Jan 2017
Username23489023 said:
bomi said:

I don't know if the guy said it with that intention but just a clarification, shoujo =/= romance, the genre include romance pretty often. Maybe you know it but I don't like people looking down on the shoujo genre just because the whole 'it's for girls and it's associated with romance'. But yeah, I don't see how's this a shoujo?

What I was getting at is that I can see why someome would call it a shoujo. It focuses on feeling needed and being protected. Reminds me of natsume and other such shoujos in that aspect, like how shes protect by bort and etc. It even feels like a sailor moon with black uniforms instead of white. They all got special jewel powers. I just cannot see how it’s a seinen.

redpandagirl said:
And this is a seinen. That's what the manga's genre is and later one you can see how negatively the "power-ups" are affecting them and everyone else. HNK is a character study on Phos, while also being about immortality, changing and death.

That’s the setup for a lot of shounen as well. UQ Holder is a character study on Tota, while also being about immortality changing and death. Fullmetal Alchemist is a character study on Edward, while also being about immortality changing and death. Goku had power ups that negatively affected them and others. Ichigo had power ups that negatively affected them and others. You can change the names for most shounen.

This follows the shounen formula quite well. Random bad guys appear and does mean things. MC cannot do anything but wants to be helpful. MC goes to power up. MC encounters bad guys again. MC loses favored side character to death or kidnapping. MC gets super power up to get revenge or retrieve side character.

It’s pretty much on track for a shounen, but how can this be seinen? What actually makes a seinen? I’d think it would be a lack of childish things combined with adult content. It has childish things and no adult content. I could show this to a 10 year old girl and she would probably like it. A 10 year old girl would probably dislike Ghost in the Shell because it has adult concepts as well as nude scenes with graphic content. She would probably think it’s boring and get offended at the scene where she loses her camo and rips her arms off trying to open the tank. 10 year old girl would probably dislike chobits as well, plus I would feel awkward for showing a 10 year old girl chobits. I wouldn’t feel awkward showing a 10 year old girl this.

I don't think a 10 yr old would like getting reminded of her impending death and how futile everything is.
And Phos is never able to get revenge. They never get the friends they've lost back. The power-ups recieved are rarely usefully at getting revenge.
Dec 17, 2017 5:29 AM

Nov 2011
Fabulous episode! Today I'm in a hurry, I can not write anything else.
Dec 18, 2017 3:06 PM

Jun 2014
This anime is somethin special.

At first glance this anime looked like a run of the mill seasonal anime that would be rated from 4-7 from me, but how it evolved into a must watch is thrilling. This show has ironically been a gem and this episode had me glued!
Dec 21, 2017 7:50 AM

Apr 2015
10/10 episode if not for the black cunt. Will I ever get to like...'her'.
Nah never.

The visuals though. I waited for it for two weeks, filled to the brim with school work. Two long weeks. Will I ever see anything better.
Dec 23, 2017 5:03 PM

Feb 2013
Wow. 5/5

That hairy lunarian ripped a hole in the sky and came through it!

Dia "hiding"... like the kids in Jurassic Park. Edge of seat! Nice job!
Dec 23, 2017 7:19 PM
Nov 2017
It's been a while since I took note of CGI work, and this is simply breathtaking, especially the scenes where Dia is being stealth. This Lunarian is amazing, the way it came through ripped portals? Boss Battle Time.
Dec 23, 2017 8:03 PM

Nov 2007
Not Dia, I beg you, Houseki no Kuni! Not someone like Dia!

I am scared about Bort, too! I really don't want either of them to disappear! Phos! Do something!

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 28, 2017 7:18 AM
Oct 2014
what the actual fuck.
2 out of 5: Disliked it

1 0.37%
1 out of 5: Hated it

1 0.37%
man im so glad i came to discover this anime, we don't deserve this quality
Dec 28, 2017 5:39 PM
Apr 2011
Simply amazing. I am left wondering if doing these sorts of animation is cheaper than traditional animation, why isn't more any anime adopting this style with the same sort of quality. This was just wondrous to watch, and alongside the soundtrack, made it one of the most joyful episode I've seen as of late.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Dec 29, 2017 2:06 PM

Jan 2017
Whaaaaaat a massive cliffhanger!

Dia had me cringing so hard for the last half, but i see her point in trying to overcome her insecurities that can about for being with someone as capable as Bort.

I see the Lunarians also adapted to the new battle conditions. Now that the actual larger creature split in two, does tha mean that this lunarians somehow acquired a body? since they don't vanish...
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 31, 2017 11:25 PM

Feb 2017
This episode triggered my anxiety
Jan 1, 2018 6:02 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode with a completely new type of Lunarian. Didn't know they could stay away from their platform.
Jan 4, 2018 6:51 AM

Apr 2015
Along with Phos' personality change, we've also seen a new side of Dia when they was defending Bort. "Sit. Down."

Phos also seemed a little more like their old self this episode, visibly being nervous at times working with Bort.

And now we've got a supercharged Lunarian...freaky looking thing. The regular Lunarians don't bother me much, but that thing was huge with six eyes and actually looked threatening. Bort had better destroy it.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 7, 2018 7:43 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was much better that the first half. I like Bort, Diamond and Phos's new personality (despite that the change was a bit forced). 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 10, 2018 6:52 PM

Jul 2016
idk if it's some kind of weird stockholm syndrome from being 10 episodes in but I'm starting to think this anime looks better than a lot of 2d drawn ones that come out
Jan 10, 2018 7:44 PM

Jun 2017
yuurishibooty said:
idk if it's some kind of weird stockholm syndrome from being 10 episodes in but I'm starting to think this anime looks better than a lot of 2d drawn ones that come out

There's nothing quite like it out there--the hair, the use of color and 2D art to supplement the 3D CG, and of course the great still frame source material from the original artist that they used to compose some of the best moments.
Jan 12, 2018 11:09 PM

Feb 2014
Man, Dia better not die in the next episode.
I wonder if cutting that Lunarian vertically (like Bort prefers to) is what caused it to split into two. Would be pretty ironic if that was the case.

This is why I wouldn't particularly mind if there were more CGI anime. That one long take of the part where Dia is moving around the room hiding from the Lunarian, with the camera dynamically moving along with her, would be really hard to pull off in a regular 2D anime without a huge amount of time and budget, especially to get that level of fluidity.
Jan 15, 2018 4:12 AM

Dec 2015
That animation + cgi did such a great job of setting the atmosphere although i wasn't convinced with how long it took Bort to find Dia
~
Jan 15, 2018 4:37 AM

Nov 2014
Prim3 said:
although i wasn't convinced with how long it took Bort to find Dia

You can actually see Bortz when Dia fights the Lunarian (specifically after Dia looses his legs and lures the big guy into grabbing the window). The most likely scenario is that Bortz had already found Dia but didn't want to interrupt because, as stated earlier in this episode, Dia always hated how Bortz would lecture him. Dia is the older brother, as confirmed by Bortz himself after he yelled "nii-chan!", so he wants to prove himself.
VarunaBlesJan 15, 2018 4:42 AM
Jan 15, 2018 8:33 PM

Dec 2015
VarunaBles said:
Prim3 said:
although i wasn't convinced with how long it took Bort to find Dia

You can actually see Bortz when Dia fights the Lunarian (specifically after Dia looses his legs and lures the big guy into grabbing the window). The most likely scenario is that Bortz had already found Dia but didn't want to interrupt because, as stated earlier in this episode, Dia always hated how Bortz would lecture him. Dia is the older brother, as confirmed by Bortz himself after he yelled "nii-chan!", so he wants to prove himself.

Thanks, that makes sense.
~
Jan 29, 2018 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
The action scene between Dia and the Lunerian was epic!! I love the cinematography, especially the scene where Dia is hiding from the Lunerain. It's so cool how the camera follows her around. I feel like I am part of that scene as well.
Feb 13, 2018 11:03 PM

Jan 2009
holy shit the action is fucking awesome, Dia was badass even though she lost, she is not just some pretty cute face after all
Feb 26, 2018 9:03 PM

Mar 2015
Ugh I love this series and the characters in it and the risk they all run of getting captured never to be seen again :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 4, 2018 2:24 PM

May 2012
Pretty intense episode actually, really love where this is going! Let's see what's next.
Mar 13, 2018 9:05 PM

Aug 2015
Sometimes I forget I'm not watching a horror anime, this show just does tense moments so well.
Mar 15, 2018 5:53 PM

Sep 2011
My, what glorious cinematography this episode, especially when that Lunarian was chasing Dia, including their hiding and fight between them.
Dia and Bort belong together after all :)

I'm a bit surprised how hard it was for Phos and Bort to find Dia, seeing how large and loud that Lunarian is.
Mar 26, 2018 11:14 PM

Dec 2012
lol They're just bothering Phos.
lol at the jellyfish.
lol at Dia.
Dat hand.
WTF is that?
Dia! RUN!!!!
Bad idea to fight it Dia.
Did Bort just call Dia...nii-chan?
There are two of them now?

Awesome episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Sep 12, 2018 10:23 AM
Sep 2017
Protect the DIAMOND
Dec 13, 2018 3:39 PM

May 2013
I wanted Dia to run away cuz even Bort ran, but I'm glad she was so badass when she fought, ahhah X)

Is this new big ass Lunarian the type that splits each time it's cut? Cuz those kind of enemies are a pain to deal with ^^" but usually, animes will have their strengths split as well or a limit to the splitting, so--

Friggin' Dia. You know damn well Bort isn't gonna run and leave you behind lol. If Bort is gonna run, she's gonna drag whoever she's protecting with her like she did with Phos :P
Kokoro_KotashimaDec 13, 2018 3:44 PM
Jan 9, 2019 2:13 AM

Oct 2012
You thought they're going to have emergency or danger code bell
But instead "hold position" is a good idea :P

"Signature removed"
Jan 28, 2019 10:37 AM
Apr 2018
Too much tension man! That Lunarian was scary af: even though I don't like her as much, I was really afraid of it taking Dia away. I won't be able to stand another loss.

Edit: the music when a Lunarian appears fits them too well.
May 26, 2019 10:43 PM

Oct 2013

gachiHYPER GOATSE gachiHYPER

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 23, 2019 12:35 AM

Jun 2015
This was one of the most exciting episodes I have seen in a while. All of the action scenes were so impressive.
:)
Aug 30, 2019 5:36 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Who the hell though it was fine to create such an OP Lunarian that looks soo different from the rest, and more like a savage beast, out of nowhere?!

Also if this episode was trying to dive in the horror genre, it damm achieved it, doki doki!!

Great episode but seriously retarded to see an OP beast like that from nowhere, felt random as fuck tbh.
Jan 4, 2020 1:53 AM

Nov 2018
The cinematography and choreography in this episode was great. This is some of the best use of CG I've ever seen

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Apr 5, 2020 11:31 AM

May 2016
Something wrong with them why Dia didn't hear the bell while everyone else heard its loud sound from afar? she must have known something is wrong!

Poor Dia I don't want her end up in moon, anyone but her... and that fat fuck teacher... is he even Mineral? I haven't seen him get cracks or something.
May 12, 2020 11:58 AM

Nov 2019
Buddhist references intensify, and I have no complaints. The monstrosity reminded me of an asura (gigantic demon) in Buddhist/Hindu mythology.

That Bort is not a simple warmonger is confirmed in this episode. His feelings of protecting others, especially Dia are so obvious that it's kinda cute.

Dia, you wonderful bastard! Uses his sharpness (come on diamond cutters are the sharpest and most precise), but that doesn't essentially do a great deal of damage, apparently. Bort restrained himself at least once for Dia to have his moments.

The 3D cinematography gave me a visual orgasm this episode. Along with a terrific soundtrack and dynamic camera movement, the episode kept me at the edge of my seat!

Alex has some research to do after all this transpires xD.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 12, 2020 8:22 PM

May 2019
Hahahahaha

Zadion said:

gachiHYPER GOATSE gachiHYPER

Triple GOATSE, from the space.
Jan 3, 2021 12:39 PM

Nov 2019
Brother?!?! Wait Diamond was a girl all alone?

Oh no I have stared at a man's ass.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Jan 5, 2021 5:32 PM

May 2020
the fight the fight the fight
Jan 19, 2021 7:21 AM

Sep 2020
love diamond with all my heart

rlly hope he'll be ok
Mar 13, 2021 2:47 AM

Feb 2020
The animation was so beautiful in this episode. They did a great job with the CGI here.

Diamond was so awesome!
Mar 23, 2021 2:17 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Damn. Going all cgi really unlocks all these camera movements you just can’t capture otherwise

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 23, 2021 3:04 AM

Nov 2019
Yeah the camera movements were simply amazing. I was quiet on edge watching that and I think the technical aspect of that helped create that atmosphere beautifully

Jul 5, 2021 10:46 PM

Jan 2020
Diamond is the mvp.

I still despise the phos change and I always will but diamond is amazing as ever. That lunarian looks badass.

It was quite intsnse when diamond was hiding like that. well done

Jul 20, 2021 5:12 AM

Apr 2018
A new lun, and a strong one. Even Phos and Bort couldn't defeat it. But Dia did it. I don't understand how, but she did it. All alone, without her brother. Some kind of character development. I'm getting used to Phos' personality now. It isn't that bad. She's back to being funny again and a bit less serious. DIamond was the MVP this episode for sure. Can't believe that she done that alone.
SideCharacterKalJul 20, 2021 5:42 AM

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 23, 2021 3:35 PM

Feb 2020
The animation was amazing in this episode. Everything looked like a video game, that was beautiful.

I don't really understand what is up with this giant Lunarian, is that some sort of fusion of a good portion of the Lunarians ? Either way, Lunarians look much less majestic all of a sudden, and I wonder how they'll ever get rid of that thing (especially since it split in two at the end).
The ending makes me worried, don't tell me we're gonna lose both Dia and Bort, not when I'm getting truly attached to Bort ! Though maybe Phos will come to the rescue ? They've been told not to but even with the change, Phos is still Phos. They still totally seem to have the personality of someone who'd disobey orders if the situation calls for it and right now, it really does call for it. Though if Phos leaves Alex, what will the latter do ? They seem to be pretty careless and to let their passion get in the way so I have a bad feeling about all this. I hope Sensei is gonna wake up, at this rate only him will be able to save the day without any casualties.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by Biisoo »»
Yesterday, 4:00 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

159 by Biisoo »»
May 7, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

99 by Biisoo »»
May 7, 3:21 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

209 by Biisoo »»
May 5, 2:12 PM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.