Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 1, 2019 8:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Got some cool battles this episode with the ships attempting break the fortresses' defenses. More importantly, there's the presence of Thorkell and he shows how badass he is.

Thorfinn's got balls this episode by challenging him head on.

Edit: Thorkell's is voiced by Akio Ootsuka, the same VA that voiced Uvogin from Hunter x Hunter. No wonder he sounded so familiar.
Stark700Sep 1, 2019 10:26 AM
Sep 1, 2019 8:47 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode, Akio Otsuka was great as Thorkell. The fight with Thorfinn and Thorkell was amazing.

One thing one can understand by watching this episode is that Thorkell is a beast, both mentally and physically. While Askeladd is also a warrior, he’s definitely more crazy and wouldn’t hesitate to kill anyone. Not to mention the fact that Thorkell loves fighting, as he wants to fight Thorfinn again sometime, because he claimed to had fun. I am really looking forward to seeing Thorkell again, as he seems to be a great character.

Yet again, we get to see a glimpse of Sweyn’s son, Canute/Knut, although I thought they would give more information about him this time, I guess we’ll have to wait for that.

As for Thorfinn, he still remains the same stubborn child from the previous episodes, although it is completely understandable.

Overall, 5/5
Sep 1, 2019 9:06 AM

Nov 2017
Arifumi Imai worked on the fight scene? I feel like I've seen his name on the credits.
Sep 1, 2019 9:35 AM

Jan 2019
Loved the battle between Thofinn and Thorkell. One of my favourite episodes so far, I can't wait to see more of best girl Thorkell man.
We get to know more about Canute, this will be awesome.
Sep 1, 2019 9:36 AM
Jun 2015
Yep, its Imai, confirmed by sakugabooru
Sep 1, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode again.

The fight sequence again Thorkell was so good, damn.
Thorkell indeed is a madman, the man got no interest in anything but fighting. xD
It sounds like he knows Thors, I wonder if he personally knew Thors. Would be interesting to see their past interactions if they had any.

A glimpse of Canute, given what the king said about him, I wonder if he might turn out to be a much nicer and kinder man than his father who's obsessed with conquest.

Thorfinn at the end. T.T
There really is nothing great about fighting. :(
Sep 1, 2019 9:43 AM

Feb 2018
Thorkell may or may not be human. No person that's ever existed on this planet is picking up and throwing that boulder.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Sep 1, 2019 9:56 AM
Sep 2015
Why those men are so hot and so cruel at the same time? No one seems to respect the basic human right!
I'm glad Thorfinn is vulnerable, the only one man army I'm convinced is his father. Not even Thorkell can impress me, but I can see he's very much the strongest character 'alive' (as of now).
Sep 1, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2009
Thorkell is fucking strong he does not need weapons to fight against Thorfinn eh but good thing Thorfinn manage to slash some of his fingers though

and ye Thorkell is definitely not human so this show is not as realistic as it shows but that is not a bad thing at all
Sep 1, 2019 9:58 AM

Sep 2017
axel360 said:
Thorkell may or may not be human. No person that's ever existed on this planet is picking up and throwing that boulder.

Paul anderson is recorded as having lifted 2.85 tons, plus this is an anime (based on history yes, but lets not forget blonde sasuke doing some absolute ninja shit).

Anyway, pretty good episode, with a specially well done fight. I want to see more of te giant.
Sep 1, 2019 9:59 AM

Sep 2014
Absolutely loved Thorfinn vs Thorkell. That guy is totally crazy when it comes to fighting and he just cannot live without war. The way he was complaining at the end when the Danish retreated says it all. Also, the moment when Askeladd was just casually commenting that sending Thorfinn to take out Thorkell wasn't the greatest idea while he was getting beat up was kinda hilarious. Thorfinn was really frustrated with how carefree and happy Thorkell was there. Indeed, there's nothing great about fighting and war.
Sep 1, 2019 10:01 AM

Feb 2017
Great episode with some nice action animation by Imai. Best girl Thorkell is finally introduced.

Looking forward to the next episode as one of my personal favorite scenes will be animated.
Sep 1, 2019 10:09 AM
Sep 2016
Thorkell has probably become the funnest character we have had on the show since the Pac-Man king (though that was just to make fun of him. Thorkell is actually funny).

Loved seeing the small details to Thorkell's hand still not being bandaged after Throfinn's fight because he's insane and seeing stuff like how the King's skin is so pale, the gold outshines his entire body. It kinda shows what this guy really wants when he pillages.
It really do be like that though.

Sep 1, 2019 10:11 AM

Jul 2009
Goddamn what an excellent fight! The animation during Thorfinn's epic entrance was absolutely stunning. My god, though, what is Thorkell made of? Getting stabbed in the hand, having his fingers cut off, yet he didn't even flinch. Absolute madlad!

I'm eager to finally see Canute make his appearance. He's an interesting fellow, that's for sure.

Love that ending scene btw. The exchange between Askeladd and Thorfinn was impactful. Seriously, almost anything Askeladd says is quotable.
Sep 1, 2019 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
damn Thorkell OP af, that was a pretty sweet fight

I do hope we get to see more of Thorfinn actually....doing something, like the part with the old lady. idk, seeing him just fight a bit and angrily stare at Askeladd is kinda getting stale
Sep 1, 2019 10:14 AM
Aug 2019
Lelouch0202 said:

It sounds like he knows Thors, I wonder if he personally knew Thors. Would be interesting to see their past interactions if they had any.

Thorkell briefly appeared in the openning battle sequence of episode 1. He's the dude who choped entire ship's crew with one swing of his axe and later conversed with Thors about the course of the battle while covering from the incoming arrows.
Sep 1, 2019 10:37 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Terrific Episode!

Thorkell is a crazy madlad, props to the VA for the incredible work put behind this episode alone! Good lord, he decided to join the British Army to fight stronger opponents for the fun of it and seeing him so unfazed by the cut and loss of his fingers was definitely crazy insane. Awesome fighting sequence with Thorfinn though, marvelous usage of different camera angles to really draw you in to the fight! I think he's borderline superhuman at the very least, incredible how he carried those huge boulders and just flung them like pebbles jeez. Absolutely loved the badass entry of Thorfinn's there too! Keep up the stunning work, Wit Studio!

Seeing those blood drops spurt out as he waved at Thorfinn, good to Wit Studio not holding back on the gore element. Seems like he was well acquainted with Thors too as fellow war-buddies at the start of episode 1, I wonder if we'll get more on that in the coming episodes.

Meanwhile, Canute is officially in charge of this raid now. I wonder how that'll go. Thorfinn is in critical condition now, on the other hand, with massive injuries and the sort but he's definitely not stepping down, what a gutsy warrior he's become! Damn those final few seconds before the ED though, it's a messed up world alright.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 1, 2019 10:48 AM

Apr 2016
Honestly at the start I was more invested into it, however it continued to be nice, so I will continue to watch it.
Sep 1, 2019 10:51 AM
May 2017
This was an awesome episode & that battle was cool.
Sep 1, 2019 10:56 AM

Aug 2019
Fantastic episode, my first 5/5 for the series.
Sep 1, 2019 10:59 AM

Mar 2018
The fight was full of thrills, really liked it. Damn it i can't get enough of Askeladd he's such a great character.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 1, 2019 11:02 AM

Sep 2017
God... I just remembered why I love Thorkell so much. Akio Otsuka did an amazing job.

Sep 1, 2019 11:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They did such a good job animating best girl Thorkell in action. Well done Wit Studio.

While his strength and size verge on the superhuman, his resistance to pain is not as ludicrous as it seems. There's a town in northern Sweden were there's several families that have congenital insensitivity to pain. It's actually a very dangerous condition because pain is a symptom that tells your body that something's wrong.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 1, 2019 11:05 AM

Dec 2013
poor Thorfinn losing another fight ... the animation quality was very nice once again! Held my breath during the first half of the fight!
Sep 1, 2019 11:22 AM
Oct 2013
The last scene where you can feel the pain on face of Thorfinn, they're nailing those facial expressions from such detailed manga.
Sep 1, 2019 11:26 AM

Oct 2017
Feel bad for Thorfin, really got his ass kicked again. Also the pacing of the anime is really nice.
Sep 1, 2019 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode again.

Thorkell is a madman, a beast. His fight against Thorfinn was good to watch.
Thorfinn getting all those injuries. :(

We got a glimpse of Canute.

Sep 1, 2019 11:49 AM

Jul 2014
A fantastic fight this week, and I have to say I'm really glad that they didn't kill Thorkell off, as he's an incredibly entertaining addition to the cast, and having someone who enjoys fighting around is sure to provide some excellent character development for Thorfinn too.
Sep 1, 2019 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
"That madman... What's s o enjoyable about battle?"
What a beautiful episode!
Sep 1, 2019 12:02 PM

Mar 2018
Yo Thorkell really is a madman
That fight was epic. And Thorkell never complained even one bit, not even mentioned, his fingers

We get to see Canute next right? Looking forward to it

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Sep 1, 2019 12:02 PM

Apr 2015
The fight animation is amazing, I got goosebumps.

I feel really bad for Thorfinn, I sympathize with him a lot.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Sep 1, 2019 12:13 PM

Jul 2015
Excellent episode once more

Loved how the anime portrayed Thorkell and his fight with Thorfinn,and the duty that Canute received is gonna be important.

Also Thorfinn's attitude towards war is shown once more,it's natural after all.

Sep 1, 2019 12:22 PM

Oct 2018
Now I'm starting to understand why I feel like something is missing from this anime

It's good so far, the story really is good, the animation looks great, but I'm still not impressed

Soundtrack is what this anime is missing so far
Except for the opening, we haven't heard any good soundtrack in the anime so far, which is quite a shame, since for many, including me it's important in anime(for me it's actually the most important)
Sep 1, 2019 12:27 PM

Jun 2017
Another fantastic episode. We get to see that Thorfinn isn't as strong as he thinks he is, and can't win every single fight. His character and power progression is extremely interesting, and it's refreshing to see a character actually have to work to become stronger.
Sep 1, 2019 12:30 PM

Nov 2016
If I had a to fight a tank like Thorkell I would most likely piss myself. What a savage and he's such a hilariously entertaining guy to boot. First time I saw someone getting so disappointed over winning a battle xD Guess I have a set favorite now. And I'm glad that Thorfinn got beaten, the sheer difference in power was just too much to overcome with two knives. Fight looked great again.

Also have to appreciate that they capture the dread of the battlefield also during the aftermath. Although it has a bit of black humor if a guy walks around offering to kill others.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 1, 2019 12:46 PM

Feb 2014
FMmatron said:
Also have to appreciate that they capture the dread of the battlefield also during the aftermath. Although it has a bit of black humor if a guy walks around offering to kill others.

I mean, that's not really black humor but rather something that was usual for the time. Mercy killings for those who won't survive their injuries but don't want to die a painful death. Plus, in some cases offering them to be killed in combat against their comrades, since only those who die in combat were supposed to enter Valhalla after death (or at least, that's what the Vikings believed).
Sep 1, 2019 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
Well, I think Thorkell has become my favorite character of this series. He's not only a badass madlad, but also really hilarious and honorable in his own way. He's also incredibly moe, like, have you guys seem his face of disappointment when he saw the boats retreating, meaning that his beloved fights were about to end? I wanted to protect his smile. Probably one of the best waifus of the season.
IllyricusSep 2, 2019 1:49 AM
Sep 1, 2019 12:52 PM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
thorkell is titan wtf
Sep 1, 2019 12:55 PM

Mar 2014
Damn Thorkell looked extremely intimidating during the fight lol. He almost literally wiped the floor with Thorfinn, but Thorfinn was also able to deal some damage on him. Their fight was really enjoyable overall.

Thorkell seems like he had tons of fun during the fight, and he was surprisingly chill about losing two of his fingers LOL

So the guy who voiced Uvo is the one who voices Thorkell? He did sound quite familiar, the similarities are killing me.

I am looking forward to learning more about Canute and see how he'll deal with his new duty.
Sep 1, 2019 12:55 PM

Jan 2008
Man, Thorkell is a beast in battle, too bad he didn't kill Floki in the beginning.

Great fight between Thorfinn and Thorkell, though Thorfinn never stood a chance. Askeladd is pushing it a little with giving him more and more difficult missions, it's good that he has plot armor, otherwise he would have been dead. Nevertheless, it was quite funny listnening to Askeladd comment nonchalantly how Thorfinn was getting his ass kicked.

I was kind of expecting that Thorfinn would tell Thorkell he is the son of Thors when asked for his name and Thorkell remembered his old war buddy. I wished Thorfinn stood around a bit longer to talk with Thorkell about his dad.

The scene where most of the army was retreating was hilarious with the disparity between the British' jubilance and Thorkell's disappointment. He was like a small child deprived of his favorite toy.

It looks like it will be up to Canute to take over London bridge. He looks like an interesting character and I have a feeling he'll surprise everyone and actually capture London with much fewer soldiers than his father.

Thorfinn looked pretty beat up in the end, though I guess it's realistic taking into account the beating he took. Once again, Askeladd was totally unconcerned about him, asking him "What are you going to do now". I guess he doesn't really consider him a part of his crew, despite their history together.
Sep 1, 2019 1:05 PM

Nov 2016
Hitsu said:
FMmatron said:

I mean, that's not really black humor but rather something that was usual for the time. Mercy killings for those who won't survive their injuries but don't want to die a painful death. Plus, in some cases offering them to be killed in combat against their comrades, since only those who die in combat were supposed to enter Valhalla after death (or at least, that's what the Vikings believed).

I said it has a bit of black humor in a sense that it reminded me of it, not that it necssarily was black humor. The way the scene was portrayed helped. Of course the thought occured to me that killing or rather said saving your comrades from suffering gotta be a custom that was practiced frequently during times of war. Maybe I should've been more precise with how my sentence was meant.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 1, 2019 1:07 PM
Feb 2009
dang feelsbad for Thorfinn
Sep 1, 2019 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
Ok episode. The fight was actually pretty good although they didn't show Thorfinn cutting Thorkell's fingers. His last line about war not being anything fun? I agree. I can relate to Thorfinn since back when I was in the army there were plenty who thought it was going to be fun. Nothing good is in there.

I'm going to bitch about the cg. It takes me out of the feeling of the show a lot. It is not hideous, but in the latter part of the episode that cg crowd was hell. It feels like I am playing a game on the DS. I'm probably going to watch one or two more episodes and drop it to read the manga instead.
Sep 1, 2019 1:12 PM
Aug 2019
Darklord_bg said:
Once again, Askeladd was totally unconcerned about him, asking him "What are you going to do now". I guess he doesn't really consider him a part of his crew, despite their history together.

Askeladd knows that Thorfinn want give up that easily ("like father, like son") so he just teased Thorfinn a bit, saying how they will have to leave him behind if he can't march. Askeladd for sure wants Thorfinn in his ranks because he is cheap, talented and easily disposable warrior that he can manipulate into doing anything. That smile he gave Thorfinn as the kid joined the march was probably "heh, just as I thought".
Sep 1, 2019 1:23 PM

Jan 2008
magictuch said:
Darklord_bg said:
Once again, Askeladd was totally unconcerned about him, asking him "What are you going to do now". I guess he doesn't really consider him a part of his crew, despite their history together.

Askeladd knows that Thorfinn want give up that easily ("like father, like son") so he just teased Thorfinn a bit, saying how they will have to leave him behind if he can't march. Askeladd for sure wants Thorfinn in his ranks because he is cheap, talented and easily disposable warrior that he can manipulate into doing anything. That smile he gave Thorfinn as the kid joined the march was probably "heh, just as I thought".

Haha, yeah, true, he's not surprised in his choice, but he didn't even try to rescue him or even look for him afterwards. I guess he also knows Thorfinn is the MC :)
Sep 1, 2019 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
Hm. Can't really say I enjoyed this epiode. I'm already hate Thorfinn edgy "kill you" attitude towards the Askeldadd, he is still that anoying little brat he was before. And he would be dead if being beaten so much (like any other common soldier in this series, only he still has plot armor). His hurr hurr approach to almost every battle would already gotten him killed a long time ago.

At this point, I really hope Askeldadd dies by himself of his age, preventing Thorfinn having his revenge. That's really to say how I "like" his pitiful character when I favor his opponnent. Yeah, he is definitely the worst character of this show.

And all those flying logs, enormous stone sacks the size of a ship, even dumb ship maneouvres where they literally stop under archer (with almost no losses at that) was too much for me this time, can't take this series seriously, really. Also, the loss of two fingers - open wound - can get you bleeding out and killed pretty quickly.

For once I would like to see some battle wits instead of brute tactics. Even Vikings tried to prevent their losses during battles, not running to embrace their deaths needlessly or recklessly.
Mich666Sep 1, 2019 1:31 PM
Sep 1, 2019 1:34 PM

Aug 2018
"That was fun" says the juggernaut with 2 fingers cut... this guy was a massive opponent and could be an interesting person for Thorfinn, since he knew his father. Those 2 will meet sooner or later for sure !
Sep 1, 2019 1:51 PM

Mar 2017
Well shit, they weren't exaggerating when they named him Thorkell the Tall! I'm actually really impressed with Thorfinn for even having the balls to go up against him.

That last scene was another subtly sad one for me... i wish Thorfinn would stop wasting his life, chasing around a man who isn't worth shit for a man who is already gone. He could've lived a peaceful and happy life back in Greenland with his mother, sister & Leif.
Sep 1, 2019 1:59 PM

May 2015
Every week I'm astounded by how dumb the "criticism" some people present is.

Sep 1, 2019 2:23 PM

Feb 2018
-Aincrad- said:

Soundtrack is what this anime is missing so far
Except for the opening, we haven't heard any good soundtrack in the anime so far, which is quite a shame, since for many, including me it's important in anime(for me it's actually the most important)

i honestly thought it was fantastic , literally the first thing that caught my attention .
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.