Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 30, 2019 5:38 AM

Nov 2016
Ok, since it's winter break I've been watching a shitload of Netflix anime originals which are mainly CGI and surprisingly they all look pretty damn good. I'd always thought all CGI was doomed to look like shit thanks to Berserk 2016-2017 but animes like Ajin and 7 seeds really out here giving me hope that one day everyone's favorite manga no matter how shitty can be cheaply animated thanks to CGI. Although, my only complaint is that their faces lack life some times and stiff movement too but those scenes are few at least in the ones I watched. Also, one big anime outside of Netflix that looked great too even in all CGI was Inuyashiki.

Berserk movies (2012-2013) did look good asf tho and that was pre-2016 when CGI anime started to take off.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Dec 30, 2019 5:49 AM

Dec 2015
I haven't seen any CGI anime yet but I think that CGI is the same as cell animation: there is going to be good and bad stuff in it. If the only thing they could do was Berserk 2016 animation they would've abandoned it years ago. Please notice that while the results can be satisfactory they could have been better if the deadline was less tight.
Dec 30, 2019 5:51 AM
Jul 2018
CGI seems alright. Even back in the past you got stuff like that FF7 movie which has amazing CGI. People hating on CGI just don't want to embrace change and admit that this is the future of anime.
Dec 30, 2019 6:04 AM

Aug 2016
Yeah, CGI in anime has become pretty notorious, and for good reason. But much like literally anything else, you can't judge anything by the majority, there will always be good and bad examples of everything. I do think the last couple of years CGI in anime has gotten a lot better compared to how it was. You only need to look at shows like Land of the Lustorous to see that.

Dec 30, 2019 6:17 AM

Jan 2009
CGI will only get better anyway since Moores Law is still true that it will make computer technology more cheaper each year plus its only a matter of time when artificial intelligence will help improve and automate more the process of making it
Dec 30, 2019 6:22 AM

Jan 2009
weebanimeweed said:
cg was always superior animation wise, but not artstyle wise.

nah CGI in anime severely lacks Squash and Stretch the first principle of animation

what CGI does great for now is camera movements so good for action scenes like it did with Promare movie
Dec 30, 2019 7:44 AM

May 2018
Chikipichi said:
Ok, since it's winter break I've been watching a shitload of Netflix anime originals which are mainly CGI and surprisingly they all look pretty damn good.

No they are not. (I am guessing about stuff like Uttraman, Revisions and Ingress.)
You are just getting used to them.
Also the animators are getting used animating them thus the movements and the camera angles are not that unnatural.

Gargoyle08 said:
stuff like that FF7 movie which has amazing CGI

Also Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, the Appleseed movies, Captain Herlock (2013) ect. but it was a very complicated process not suited for TV schedules.
alshuDec 30, 2019 7:53 AM
Dec 30, 2019 8:22 AM
Jul 2019
I think with each passing year the CGI improves on Japanese anime
Dec 30, 2019 8:30 AM

Apr 2014
No, only Studio Orange and Digital Frontier are good in CGI (Ufotable does backgrounds well, but still no characters).
Jan 2, 2020 6:53 PM

Oct 2018
Idk bout y’all but ajin was hella good
Jan 2, 2020 7:03 PM

Jul 2017
lest not forget Arifureta was literally last season lol

but right now I think studio Orange is one of the few studios that can do CGI properly. Even their fully CGI done shows like HnK and Beastars look great
Jan 2, 2020 7:20 PM

Nov 2017
if i may say, that "i've seen lot of anime episodes that using CGI ".

some anime that using CGI were anime that had lot of battle scene, drawing battle scene without CGI EATING time and $....

so only BRAVE studio that using CGI for their anime (nowadays),

but if you're asking "is it good that anime had some cgi in it?"
- it they (the studio) doesnt had lot of budget, then it shouldn't use any CGI, because it will be terrible (just watch overlord season3)
- UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS...
Now Loading.....
Jan 2, 2020 11:05 PM

Aug 2011
I think it has the potential to be good, or at least acceptable, and it will probably only improve from here. Beastars and Land of the Lustrous proved to me that CGI really can work to animate a whole anime series, and not be distracting, ugly, and stiff. I felt that they were both really well done, and I would absolutely watch more CGI anime if they were animated as well as these.
Jan 2, 2020 11:08 PM

May 2009
I think CGI has looked fine for a while now. It's just that we're not necessarily used to it yet since we're used to a different style of animation.

deg said:
weebanimeweed said:
cg was always superior animation wise, but not artstyle wise.

nah CGI in anime severely lacks Squash and Stretch the first principle of animation
Anime honestly had less of it on average than western animation, and the more serious the anime, the less squash-and-stretch.

And honestly, I never really liked that much squash-and-stretch anyway. Probably comes from me wanting to see stories taken seriously, while stylistic distortions like squash-and-stretch is more common in comedy.

Meanwhile, CGI can look pretty darned cute. See Arpeggio of Blue Steel for example.
GlennMagusHarveyJan 2, 2020 11:11 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 3, 2020 2:47 AM

Jan 2009
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I think CGI has looked fine for a while now. It's just that we're not necessarily used to it yet since we're used to a different style of animation.

deg said:

Anime honestly had less of it on average than western animation, and the more serious the anime, the less squash-and-stretch.

And honestly, I never really liked that much squash-and-stretch anyway. Probably comes from me wanting to see stories taken seriously, while stylistic distortions like squash-and-stretch is more common in comedy.

Meanwhile, CGI can look pretty darned cute. See Arpeggio of Blue Steel for example.

true but 3DCG/CGI anime for now have more stiff or robotic movements compared to 2D anime most of the time
Jan 3, 2020 10:51 AM

Feb 2010
I never really had a big issue with CGI in the first place. I still prefer hand-drawn cels over cgi-assisted animation over 3DCGI animation but it's generally not a huge factor for me. That being said, I can count the times where the animation in CGI anime was actively increasing my enjoyment. It's not quite on the level of really great sakuga yet. But most of the time it's just kinda there and I don't mind it and watch the show just like any other.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 3, 2020 11:04 AM
May 2019
It depends how well it's done but in most cases it sucks.
Jan 3, 2020 11:11 AM

Dec 2018
It’s done quite well more times then most people think. The only thing is that when it’s done well it’s almost indistinguishable compared to the rest of the scene and when it’s done poorly it is distinguishable.
Jan 3, 2020 12:14 PM

Aug 2010
I said years ago, that eventually the japanese would figure out how to work with 3D art. (i think calling it CGI is misleading since its all done on computers including 2D art/animation/editing)

They're still not completely there, but Demon Slayer this year was a large leap forward.

The Japanese are just not as experience with the medium yet, and are trying to treat it like their old 2D ways of doing things which just doesnt translate well to 3D. One of the most often examples: in 2D having a character be completely motionless with just their mouth moving is fine. In 3D however motionless characters (anything living) look awful to our human eyes. They need to at least be breathing aka moving slightly at all times.

Making the 3d look like anime style shouldnt be to hard. I mean they already do it with all japanese video games. Not sure why anime cant figure it out already.
ComboSmoothJan 3, 2020 12:17 PM
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 3, 2020 12:15 PM

Mar 2018
You can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jan 3, 2020 12:31 PM

Jun 2019
The cgi effects in Granblue Fantasy Adventure Season 2 this season past were pretty decent imho, but I don't know what other people think, as it wasn't a popular watch this season.

I don't have the best eye for critical picture quality analysis, but the beautiful matte finish, the depth of colours & the way the ships & islands looked in the show was something to behold for me, and the main reason I watched this season, as the story was severely lacking (I haven't played the game).
Jan 3, 2020 12:33 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
There have been a couple decent looking CGI anime now, but as a whole there's still no denying that Japan is far behind the west when it comes to 3D animation. I mean people say Beastars looks great for a CGI show, and by anime standards it certainly does, but compared to what Disney have been producing for the past 20 years already... it's not even on the same planet in terms of quality
Jan 3, 2020 3:26 PM

Jan 2018
cg can be really pretty now days, what really changed my mind on cg were houseki no kuni and beastars from orange. they seem to have the hang of it when it comes to cg anime
Jan 3, 2020 3:28 PM

Jul 2017
I haven't seen many CGI animes, but the ones I have seen were pretty enjoyable for me.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Jan 3, 2020 3:29 PM

Oct 2008
There is potential in CGI. However anime like:

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai
High score girl
Beastars
Seikaisuru Kado
Land of the lustrous

Are not the potential I'm talking about.
Ufotable series are what I mean and they are doing brilliantly.
Jan 3, 2020 3:40 PM
Apr 2016
Polygon Pictures series were always great.
Re:formed
Jan 3, 2020 3:42 PM
Jan 2012
The problem was never how they looked, good CG was always possible, the problem was suddenly people just vomit all their story telling knowledge into the toilet whenever they were tasked with making an actual CG anime.

Appleseed Alpha looked fucking amazing but it was still pretty lukewarm of a movie.
Jan 3, 2020 4:02 PM

Sep 2012
removed-user said:
CGI seems alright. Even back in the past you got stuff like that FF7 movie which has amazing CGI. People hating on CGI just don't want to embrace change and admit that this is the future of anime.

deg said:
CGI will only get better anyway since Moores Law is still true that it will make computer technology more cheaper each year plus its only a matter of time when artificial intelligence will help improve and automate more the process of making it

Speak the TRUTH, my bretheren!! People have been needlessly hating on CG because they just parrot the sentiment they've heard mindlessly repeated by others. As far back as Zoids in the early 2000s CG was being implemented wonderfully in anime, but nobody wants to acknowledge it. And AI programs will absolutely improve animation techniques in the next decade, both 2D and 3D. There is a ton of untapped artistic potential in what can be done with AI techniques.

Just in the last few years I've seen a ton of great CG, used for whole productions or just as part of a larger 2D animation:

• Gantz: O
  • Ninja Batman
  • Promare
  • Houseki no Kuni
  • Blame!
  • High Score Girl

Hell, I even thought the CG fight scene in the Dragon Ball Super movie looked dope. Anyway, thank you OP for bringing this up. I think it's only a matter of time until we see enough good CG that the general opinion eventually starts to shift to something more positive.
Jan 3, 2020 4:04 PM

May 2019
CG anime is becoming alright, but they need to up the framerate. So many of the decent ones still have perceivably clunky movement. Give me some 60 fps in dis bitch.
Jan 3, 2020 7:00 PM

Sep 2017
It really depends of the studio, I guess

There's only 3 studios that currently manage to do good CGI imo :
- Production I.G. (the CGI used in Psycho Pass 3 was really good)
- ufotable

- Orange
- Orange
- Orange
- Orange

Just have a look at Beastars and even more at Houseki no Kuni. They're both gorgeous and they're full CGI

Wit Studio's CGI varies, it was quite good at the beginning of Shingeki no Kyojin

However the average CGI is still quite bad
In 2019 we had different sorts of CGI :
- atrocious (Arifureta)
- awful (Rising of the Shield Hero)
- averagely bad (Vinland Saga)
- correct but still ugly sometimes (Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2)
- good looking (No Guns Life)
- really good looking (Psycho Pass 3)
- beautiful and smooth (Beastars, Kimetsu no Yaiba)
DamuzenJan 3, 2020 7:03 PM
Jan 21, 2020 8:40 PM

Mar 2012

This is what I call banger.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 21, 2020 10:00 PM

Jul 2013
The quality of CGI depends on the studio or team working on this area. Unfortunately for Toei and Pierrot anime, their anime as of late haven't transitioned quite well into the medium.
Jan 21, 2020 10:38 PM

Nov 2007
Never bothers me if I love the story and/or the characters.

- Houseki no Kuni
- Love Live (parially)
- High Score Girl
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 21, 2020 11:11 PM

May 2009
Luchse said:

But if you make that turd 3d, give her rabbit ears and slap her in some awful shounen, then you can have a Turd-chan waifu. Still a turd, yes, but MAL will love it.

Seriously though, the fact that people are using Beastars as an example of "good" Japanese CGI pretty much tells you everything you need to know. 🤮

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jan 21, 2020 11:14 PM

Nov 2015
lol complaining about stiff movement when 99% of anime is a still frame with moving lips.
Jan 21, 2020 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
Malware said:
Luchse said:

But if you make that turd 3d, give her rabbit ears and slap her in some awful shounen, then you can have a Turd-chan waifu. Still a turd, yes, but MAL will love it.

Seriously though, the fact that people are using Beastars as an example of "good" Japanese CGI pretty much tells you everything you need to know. 🤮

But it does have really good CGI. It has an extremely cinematic look due to this CGI that most anime do not replicate and has way more character acting than the average tv anime. Not to mention really expressive characters. I get that CGI isn't for everyone, but dang it I just like taking bait XD
Jan 21, 2020 11:39 PM

May 2009
Calal-Chan said:
Malware said:

But it does have really good CGI. It has an extremely cinematic look due to this CGI that most anime do not replicate and has way more character acting than the average tv anime. Not to mention really expressive characters. I get that CGI isn't for everyone, but dang it I just like taking bait XD

I mean, I admit it's not the worst cgi you'll ever see, but it's still not something that I think should be considered as an example of greatness. I thought the polished turd analogy worked pretty well in that sense. It still has all the same properties as a turd, but maybe it's shinier.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jan 22, 2020 12:01 AM

Aug 2013
perje said:
lol complaining about stiff movement when 99% of anime is a still frame with moving lips.

Which looks still universes better than 3D.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 22, 2020 12:08 AM
Aug 2017
Just watch any of the works of studio orange especially beastars and the green hair grill. There animation isn't just acceptable or good but fucking better than most of the 2d animated shows.
Jan 22, 2020 1:28 AM

Jul 2013
Malware said:
Calal-Chan said:

I mean, I admit it's not the worst cgi you'll ever see, but it's still not something that I think should be considered as an example of greatness. I thought the polished turd analogy worked pretty well in that sense. It still has all the same properties as a turd, but maybe it's shinier.

Agree to disagree then. Honestly, I think Beastars look better than a lot of 2d animated shows that have very little to no animation most of the time due to anime being a limited medium. So I guess agree to disagree as I said lol
Jan 22, 2020 1:46 AM

May 2018
Malware said:
but it's still not something that I think should be considered as an example of greatness.

But we are talking about TV budget anime here.
For better tehcnical demonstraion we can go with Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV, Appleseed Alpha or Captain Herlock (2013)...maybe the new Lupin III movie too but I only saw the trailer.

The main point here is that Beastars and for example Ultraman (2019) are better from the rest of the TV full 3D CGI anime and they are trailblazing towards more decently looking and affordable projects.
Jan 22, 2020 2:02 AM

Mar 2012
Well the video I posted above got blocked(again) because Bushiroad is stingy. Anyway here is for those who are curious.

https://twitter.com/shepherdwilloww/status/1219574927025508353
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jan 22, 2020 2:03 AM

Oct 2019
CGI is definitely getting better, that's for sure. I haven't seen any fully 3d anime but from the glimpses I have seen it's constantly improving. That's to be expected though since technology is also improving.

I really like it in action scenes for camera movement and stuff like that, an obvious example of what I mean by that is Demon Slayer. I also like it for panoramic shots or very zoomed out shots that have movement in them somewhere (the example that comes to mind iis the horse riding scenes from Attack on Titan) since that kind of stuff looks really smooth from far away but when you get closer you start to realise something's not right or looks a little bit off.
I don't really like the way the distinct artistic style of anime (I know not every anime has the same art style but you know what I mean) looks in 3d. Just something about the hair and face of anime characters looks wrong to me when it's CGI. Maybe that's because I'm so used to seeing them 2d but I still don't really like it.

I guess if it's done right, it can look really good and up the animation quality that extra little bit but I'm not a fan of fully CGI anime mostly because of the way people end up looking. My idea of good CGI is when you can't tell it's CGI and just looks like really high quality animation.
marinara-sauceJan 22, 2020 2:07 AM
Jan 22, 2020 8:12 AM
Sep 2019
The techniques and technology that goes into CGI is undoubtedly better than it was a few years ago. CGI, in and of itself, isn't the problem, I think, when people say CGI in anime is bad.

On one hand, people just aren't used to it and maybe that shift to balancing between photorealism and keeping the anime art style is just too over the edge of the uncanny valley for most people. Some might say that anime should strictly be 2D. While I don't agree with the latter, I do understand the sentiments of the former.

It would do this conversation well to point out that there have been anime out there that have blended the use of both 2D and CGI together to create spectacular looking scenes. Attack on Titan, for example, nearly always utilizes both to such an impressive degree - with the characters themselves being 2D key animated and the backgrounds being CGI. They do this to create a sense of depth and speed in their scenes without having to be overwhelmed by the production. Same with Steamboy and Fate/Zero.

Anime like Expelled From Paradise uses CGI but instead of going for a photorealistic, completely 3D-look, they use CGI to animate 2D-looking characters, which is a technique that's becoming more and more popular with animators (especially now with the latest version of Blender that has a feature that allows you to do that with ease).

Then there's the photo-realistic looking anime. When done well, this can look amazing and damn near to real life. While a number of people don't like it, I personally do. Check out Space Pirate Captain Harlock, Appleseed Alpha, and Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Jan 22, 2020 1:59 PM

Aug 2015
Really choppy in most if not all of the anime I've seen with it but it hasn't taken me away from a good story if the animation isn't TOO bad
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336

More topics from this board

» Spring 2024 Mid-Season Ranking

NoelleIsSleepy - 3 hours ago

12 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

75 by Otakupervert890 »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampire Hunter D or Castlevania?

AcbSnakeDemon - 1 hour ago

5 by AcbSnakeDemon »»
14 minutes ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 8 hours ago

32 by Damnits »»
56 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 3 hours ago

5 by dankmitris »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.