Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 10, 2020 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An interesting episode.

The story tells about fashion and clothing with Chiyuki as an inspiring model. Ikuto also got introduced and I sense a character chemistry between them. The show has a vibrant look on the world of fashion. This is more of an introductory episode but they captured the themes well imo.

Even as a model, I do find Chiyuki relatable as a character and her inspiring dreams.
Jan 10, 2020 11:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Wow, this was pretty solid! Definitely exceeded my expectations by quite a margin.

Plenty of fitting BGMs with choppy direction at times and fast pacing, but it was really entertaining and impactful from start to finish nonetheless! Hard to believe it was just an episode, if I'm to be completely frank here. Both their family circumstances were lightly but delicately touched upon and a breakthrough into the industry as well, I wonder where this is going to end up within a cour's length of time.

Chiyuki's straightforwardness coupled with Ikuto selflessness, boy this is going to be a treat for sure! Inspiring and a true duo team.

And those final moments, "looking at a diamond in the rough. That's right, this is the story of I as a top model ... and I as a top designer." Great stuff!

Hoping to see this fine quality all the way through!
_MushiRock11_Jan 10, 2020 11:41 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 10, 2020 12:34 PM

Mar 2016
Are they trolling this poor girl by making even her teacher appear so much taller than her?

End of the first episode and everything's worked out for everyone. Not sure why they fired her in the first place if they were just going to hire her later, but whatever. I think it would have been more fun for them to work together and deal with adversity as amateurs, and 'show up' the big company, rather than immediately be hired hy them. Still interested though.
syncrogazerJan 10, 2020 12:51 PM
Jan 10, 2020 12:34 PM

Jul 2015
That was pretty good! Winter is saved!

5/5
Jan 10, 2020 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
Me decides to watch. Me five minutes in ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Anyway I hope the boy gets a haircut cause that’s gonna annoy me. (One thing that was a little cringe was the part with all of the retweets. I don’t like how they portrayed that.)
Jan 10, 2020 12:56 PM

Jul 2017
Mediocre adaptation of some great source material = passable first episode (without considering it as an adaptation).
Jan 10, 2020 1:15 PM

Sep 2008
Largely indifferent to this one considering our lead heroine is confirmed from the start to come from a wealthy family influential in the fashion world and gives said heroine a degree of entitlement in believing her future in fashion's guaranteed, which kills the whole "underdog clawing to the top" element of the premise that the series is trying to push for and the story feeling largely formulaic with how the opening episode's structured.

I'll concede I was curious of what this series offered up since I don't recall seeing any recent anime exploring the world of fashion since seeing Paradise Kiss nearly 15 years ago. But seeing what this episode offered up, not really impressed with it.
Jan 10, 2020 1:20 PM

Nov 2016
Oh yes, this type of story is straight up my alley(also more upbeat than expected). Moreover, compared to most other stuff that is coming out, the subject matter is actually also one I'm rather interested in, not to mention how unconventional an anime about the fashion industry is. Great start.
FMmatronJan 10, 2020 1:23 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 10, 2020 1:31 PM

Jan 2015
Truly a vivid choice of color palettes, that I will never able to imagine through reading the manga only. The choice of the OST are okay, not bad, but not that great either....
The adaptation so far gave the exact if not even more impact than what the manga wanted to convey, so as the opening act of the whole series, it ensured itself not to flop, but to be a truly good adaptation, there still lie the rest of the season, hope the quality keep improved.

...whether it's now or ten years from now, if you are going to evolve as a person, generally you need to be broken down first. -Ayanokōji Kiyotaka-

Jan 10, 2020 1:33 PM
May 2017
This felt quite rushed. Still a decent episode 6/10 for now.
Jan 10, 2020 2:03 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Since I hate fashion my expectations were very low but this is actually good wtf, big surprise for me
Jan 10, 2020 2:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reminds me of Paradise Kiss due to the fashion thing. It was an ok start.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 10, 2020 2:10 PM

Sep 2011
This was good! Both Tsumura and Chiyuki are going through a lot, and it's just so moving and exciting. I mean, I was really mad when Chiyuki didn't credit Tsumura's design, but it went viral thanks to that model, and she made things right later on. He is going to have a chance of working with what he loves, being able to help his family without sacrificing his dream! And Chiyuki might just be able to reach her dream too, with his clothes.
Jan 10, 2020 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
Man, this is so relatable. I never wanted to be a model, but I was very tall as a kid and never stayed that way. It sure is frustrating.
Other than that, I like it very much so far, but I must say... The music is very annoying to me :/
Also, I ship Chiyuki and Ikuto already lol. They kind of give me Kousei and Kaori vibes (Ikuto and Kousei even have the same voice actor).
removed-userJan 10, 2020 2:15 PM
Jan 10, 2020 2:38 PM

Sep 2018
I was honestly kind of disappointed. Everything was moving so fast, the direction was kind of tacky, the characters left a shallow first impression and don't have any credibility. Though my biggest nitpick is the soundtracks, they felt really out of place. It's watchable for now, but if it doesn't get better I might have to drop it, because Fridays are packed with other good stuff... It's kind of a shame, because I was looking forward to this.
Jan 10, 2020 3:00 PM
Apr 2018
Great first episode to a very interesting manga
Jan 10, 2020 3:02 PM

Jan 2017
I thought this looked interesting and was really looking forward to it but I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. Went into it completely blind, so I didn't know anything about the characters, and the fact they made the main heroine a daughter of a modelling agency director pretty much kills any sort of underdog story. Sure she has the height problem, but it's not effective enough imo, considering everything else would be right there for her.

I also thought the pacing was way too fast, didn't have time to start caring about anyone and she already impressed the people in their agency so much they took her back right away. This show probably won't be for me
Jan 10, 2020 3:09 PM

Oct 2007
ok, first episode would have been good enough if I didn't know the source.
dropped
Jan 10, 2020 3:18 PM

Mar 2012
AdrianRubinsky said:

5/5

Read the manga please, save my broken heart. :'(
Jan 10, 2020 4:26 PM
Mar 2017
An overwhelming episode that hits you right in the heart, without a doubt I see a good potential to this anime, Chiyuki and Ikuto make a good team, besides they both have a dream in common and have suffered from this dream.

You do not know how sad and frustrated I felt with the story of Chiyuki, the girl had the talent and appearance to be a model, but she did not grow up and this ended up collapsing her dream and in turn she was fired by her own father, how sad it was to see that her father and the woman she always admired told her to give up.

Then we have Ikuto and his dream of being a designer, but he doesn't want to follow his dream in order to support his hospitalized mother and his three younger sisters, three girls who have the best brother and clothing designer.

Chiyuki did a great favor to Ikuto when she asked him to do an outfit for her model test, with just a photo and now Ikuto can see his clothes in a fashion show and Chiyuki's father also bought the design.

The crossing of the story of both MCs was something that made the episode quite pleasant, I admit that Chiyuki's charisma and stubbornness have their ups and downs, sometimes you like her and sometimes she is somewhat annoying and with Ikuto that didn't happen to me, Maybe it's because of what his life is like, someone who doesn't stand out and has a hidden talent.

I think what I like most was how the resources of the color palette and the lighting and photographic work were exploited, remembering more or less how the original material is.
We still have to wait as Chiyuki and Ikuto advance after the announcement of Chiyuki's father, I look forward to the next episode.
Jan 10, 2020 4:36 PM

Jul 2015
HaarWyvern said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

5/5

Why make my winter even more miserable? This season is a complete flop.

I will check after season end for sure.

Jan 10, 2020 4:59 PM

Jun 2013
Really good start! Might be my favorite first episode of the new season!
Jan 10, 2020 5:14 PM
Jul 2019
I’m still hyped for the show as I love the manga, I will admit I’m a little disappointed since it felt a little rushed, but I’m really into the animation it looks stunning at moments.
Jan 10, 2020 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
Oh, snap! Kakashi has started fashion agency.

Jan 10, 2020 5:31 PM

Nov 2015
I definitely didn't like how both MCs got top-tier dream jobs in the first episode...now it's just going to be...what? The inside drama of the fashion industry? I don't know how interesting that will be compared to a story of outsiders working hard to break into the system. Meh.
Jan 10, 2020 5:35 PM
Apr 2015
BaconChips said:
I’m still hyped for the show as I love the manga, I will admit I’m a little disappointed since it felt a little rushed, but I’m really into the animation it looks stunning at moments.

The pacing was good
This episode adapted chapter 1
Jan 10, 2020 5:35 PM
Apr 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:

5/5

I agree
Best anime this season
Jan 10, 2020 5:38 PM
Apr 2015
HaarWyvern said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

5/5

Episode was enjoyable
Jan 10, 2020 6:00 PM

Nov 2010
Although I thought there is only one protagonist on the show, there were two of them. The boy will test his talent from now on, but the girl already lost once. It's a big difference.
Jan 10, 2020 6:46 PM

Dec 2014
FMmatron said:
Oh yes, this type of story is straight up my alley(also more upbeat than expected).

Same here! I was interested when I read the synopsis but this episode surpassed any expectations I had for this. Fantastic.

Loving the vibe, the part where Chiyuki realizes that she was trying to admonish Tsumura the way everyone has to her and realizing what she really wanted and that she didn't want to give up was awesome.
The soundtrack as she tells her teacher what a hypermodel is was awesome.

Also, loved the part where she teared up when Shizuku told her to come to the back for the contract. I kinda teared up too. Also loved the scene where her Dad explains naming the company after her name in French.

Ending scene was great with Tsumura getting the job at Chiyuki's Dad's company. I'm expecting this to be great. 2020 is off to a fantastic start so far.

Am I the only one who kept reading 'runway' as 'run-away' and ended up confused between what was shown and what was written? XD
Jan 10, 2020 7:03 PM
Jan 2018
ggultra2764 said:
Largely indifferent to this one considering our lead heroine is confirmed from the start to come from a wealthy family influential in the fashion world and gives said heroine a degree of entitlement in believing her future in fashion's guaranteed, which kills the whole "underdog clawing to the top" element of the premise that the series is trying to push for and the story feeling largely formulaic with how the opening episode's structured.

I'll concede I was curious of what this series offered up since I don't recall seeing any recent anime exploring the world of fashion since seeing Paradise Kiss nearly 15 years ago. But seeing what this episode offered up, not really impressed with it.

stay for the next chapter, a surprise awaits you.
Jan 10, 2020 7:04 PM

Jul 2017
Interesting story, wonder how this is gonna go. For a relatively new studio it's not doing too bad

I'm assuming it's not gonna be a romance? None of the sources have anything to do with it listed as a genre so that's a shame
Jan 10, 2020 7:05 PM
Jul 2015
Okay wtf. I mostly enjoyed this episode a lot, but Chiyuki is lucky this worked out for Ikuto. Holy shit did she throw him under the bus. If her dad wasn't as kind as he was, they would've rolled with what Chiyuki said. That was a biiig dickmove. Because of him, she got a contract, but she doesn't even want to name him?
Jan 10, 2020 7:15 PM
Jan 2018
holiday498 said:
I thought this looked interesting and was really looking forward to it but I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed. Went into it completely blind, so I didn't know anything about the characters, and the fact they made the main heroine a daughter of a modelling agency director pretty much kills any sort of underdog story. Sure she has the height problem, but it's not effective enough imo, considering everything else would be right there for her.

I also thought the pacing was way too fast, didn't have time to start caring about anyone and she already impressed the people in their agency so much they took her back right away. This show probably won't be for me

well, about Chiyuki

i would wait til the next chapter, the manga is very good, so i recommend you to give a second chance.
Jan 10, 2020 7:17 PM

Dec 2016
Nice start! Seems interesting and want to see how this goes :) Chiyuki got what she wanted without giving up and Ikuto got his promissed future awaited for him ^^

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 10, 2020 7:28 PM

Oct 2010
The main girl seems really immature, self-centered, and superficial. I hope she undergoes some decent character development throughout the series.
Jan 10, 2020 7:31 PM

Jun 2019
Thanks to muse asia. I can legally watch this on youtube!

Story seems good and so touchy for me even i never dedicated my life to be a model. I love their character design, seems worth to watch.
Jan 10, 2020 7:45 PM
Jan 2018
Liddo-kun said:
ok, first episode would have been good enough if I didn't know the source.
dropped

He is a lot better character, and his story brings a lot more of the traditional "underdog against big guys" kind of plot.
Jan 10, 2020 8:42 PM

Mar 2016
Now I get why is this tagged as a shounen. I'll watch next episode, just to make sure I'm not dropping a series that I might actually like.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 10, 2020 9:02 PM
Nov 2015
We've already been at those kinds of things. Over-the-top drama and dialogues, protagonists having something holding them back from achieving their goals...

But, surprisingly, I somehow enjoyed this episode a lot. I think the direction handled it very well.

Definitely going to continue watching.
Jan 10, 2020 9:18 PM

Dec 2016
I'll have to side with the few that have mentioned that the direction and the pacing was off in this first episode. It feels like everything goes from 0 to 60 in just a few seconds. Ikuto lands the job that will provide the money to become the provider for his family without even trying to sell his own projects to anyone. Chiyuki gets a job out of the blue after she was pretty much dishoned from her father's company, it feels that if she was such a great model after her dad fired her, pretty much any other model agency either big or small should had tried to get her, so why no one steped up before this guy gave her a small job of modeling clothes?

Shizuku told Miyuki that a "model showcases the clothes not themselves". Yet the entrance that made her change her mind lacked focus on Miyuki showcasing the clothes thru her poses or even her walk, this was a very common case of "tell don't show". Not to mention that real models do indeed need to showcase themselves with signature poses and or moves/walk, that's what makes them unique from one to another and what makes them more elegible by designers and big companies to showcase their clothes.

Sadly, this show lacks a strong team of animators to portray both the natural movement of a young model that should speak about herself with body language and vivid more real backgrounds to match (Ebata would had been a great lead for the animation staff). A lot of the backgrounds are incredibly simplistic or in worst case scenario the show abuses of overbright backgrounds with nothing to fill.

I'm staying for a while just for the story, but quite frankly, the subpar visuals do hurt this kind of show.
KimurahJan 10, 2020 9:22 PM
Jan 10, 2020 9:35 PM

Jul 2017
I guess the BGM kinda overkilled it (is it some type of electronic music? i dont know) but I LIKED IT SO MUCH! kinda fresh for such an anime.
also the plot is ok.. cant wait for next..
Jan 10, 2020 10:01 PM
Mar 2015
Nice start to the anime
Jan 11, 2020 12:59 AM

May 2018
I actually don't have plan to add it to my list, but since Muse Asia got it on their stream list, so why not try it. The story itself is just like another zero-to-hero, so nothing amazing there. Modelling world background is the main interest here.

I love the design of the characters, and also the coloring, even since the trailer PV. I will watch it again next week, I just need to open youtube for it anyway.
Jan 11, 2020 1:23 AM

Nov 2014
wow this is so inspiring!!

i'm glad that we get two main protagonists since modeling and fashion design are tied together and it only makes sense to have those two working towards their dream together

I love the English song in the beginning. Anyone know what it's callled?

Usagi said:
The main girl seems really immature, self-centered, and superficial. I hope she undergoes some decent character development throughout the series.

immature for not giving up, self-centered for caring about her future, and superficial for wanting to look good because she's a fucking model??

wow, sounds like you're describing yourself.

ggultra2764 said:

underdog≠poor
her family's rich, but that doesn't mean his dad can do whatever he wants. if she, a short girl, wants to be a model, she has to work for it. people aren't just gonna accept her if her dad puts her on the paris show, plus, he can't even do that cause he doesn't control the paris show. He can only recommend his model and get accepted. the deciding factor isn't on him. rich doesn't mean shit. it doesn't guarantee her future when we're talking about the fashion industry.

ttcchenJan 11, 2020 1:31 AM
Jan 11, 2020 2:00 AM

Jun 2013
I haven't read the manga yet since I'm reading so many things right now. However, I saw the tag "SHOUNEN" in the manga. Is that true? How is it a shounen?

Anyways, I like it so far, the characters look nice, Chiyuki is adorable even though she appears vain from the start. Ikuto seems like a sweet character but honestly, looks like he could be pushed into many BL and yaoi situations. He gives off bottom-esque vibes.
臭い-
Jan 11, 2020 2:01 AM
Apr 2016
While this is not the kind of story I dedicate my time to, I checked it out because it was supposed to have tall models... but I was pleasantly surprised. For an adaptation of second\third rate "jousei" drama (what, this is not listed as "jousei"?!), they actually put some effort into it.
I approve.
Re:formed
Jan 11, 2020 2:48 AM

Feb 2018
Look like Chiyuki is good model, xD.
Jan 11, 2020 3:53 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I enjoyed the first episode. Someone said it was a tacky, and tbh, I feel that, lol. But it's not in a bad way...like a comforting and familiar way. Not sure how else to describe it. Maybe I wouldn't like it as much if the production values weren't this good, who knows. Still salty that Kono Oto Tomare!, another recent non-battle shounen, did not receive such treatment.

Chiyuki is really pretty, and I like her perseverance, but nothing really makes me more interested her. She's just not as interesting as other MCs from other model themed manga I've read (Nousatsu Junkie, The One, Paradise Kiss). But Ikuto though, I am interested him, since I'm a sucker for underdog stories, especially one with a background relating to sacrificing for the family. In fact, the scene where his sisters were supporting him brought tears to my eyes. I read some spoilers in the thread so far, and that's honestly relieving to hear.
Jan 11, 2020 4:50 AM

Jul 2014
Im gonna love this it's about fashion!! Yey
Hope to watch more anime about fashion runway
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

56 by phantom346 »»
Jan 17, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

93 by degenerate-2002 »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

45 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.