Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 9, 2012 11:45 AM

Feb 2012
Judging by what people here are saying I think I'm actually going to watch Overture to a New War before continuing on with episode 3. Episodes 1 and 2 weren't terrible, but they were nothing compared to My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars.
May 21, 2012 6:44 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, these two episodes are very very average compared to Overture to A New War. I think that movie is the best way to experience the Battle of Estate and it and My Conquest are a much better introduction to the story.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 24, 2012 9:29 AM

Mar 2010
this episode was pretty good compared to the first
i guess i shall go watch the movie to understand more
Jun 24, 2012 9:33 AM

Jun 2012
Ahhh.... I saw the title and I was like, "I remember that!" Oh god, It's been a long time since I watched this series that I forgot to add it to my list! *Gasp*

Shame on me, for forgetting all about LOTGH! T^T
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

May 9, 2013 5:22 PM
Jul 2018
This is really interesting.
May 29, 2013 3:01 PM

Nov 2011
This show crams so much into 24 minutes! It doesn't feel rushed or like an information overload, but this is a really substantial anime. o-O

I felt really, really bad for Jessica. :s Yet Annerose's news was still wonderful. Eugh, this nonjustifiable war stuff is rough.
Sep 7, 2013 6:29 PM

Nov 2009
Kind of a cheesy episode too be honest ... There were just certain moments that put me off, like when the blonde dude realized he was tricked, *eye roll* ... Not sure what to think of this anymore.
Sep 24, 2013 11:39 AM

Jan 2011
ring formation, battle of 2 snakes...

notice both sides claim they were victorious, that's quite realistic haha
Feb 2, 2014 2:13 PM

Sep 2008
Alliance took pretty big hit but of course they are not going to say it straight. They are propagandizing it as a victory!

If you charge straight through would you not be surronded by the enemy while charging? That could have ended badly.
May 1, 2014 12:33 AM

Apr 2013
I don't like redhead or Reinhard(blond hair). They seem like douches.
May 1, 2014 12:42 AM

Mar 2008
Elmm said:
Have you seen this prequel film yet? I'd highly suggest it as a primer to the core show. Not to stop you if you're in full marathon stride, though.
May 1, 2014 12:47 AM

Apr 2013
Ckan said:
Elmm said:
Have you seen this prequel film yet? I'd highly suggest it as a primer to the core show. Not to stop you if you're in full marathon stride, though.

I was, since I just finished episode 3 but I'll watch that instead of moving on to 4. Thanks for the info, my laziness has been a detriment yet again.
Sep 5, 2014 3:25 PM

Jul 2012
Finally made time to watch the first two episodes (because I skipped them since I watched it in the movie version) and things make a bit more sense than before, when I was unfamiliar with the war strategies. Rewatching the same parts helped.

Now I'm feeling like some "Pathetique" movement 2 (Adagio)~
Sep 25, 2014 2:56 PM

Jan 2013
koreye said:
'he's disobeying order??!!! Does he want to die'
'*dies*'
'serves him right'

lolz

epic!

Yeah haha that moment was great!
Sep 25, 2014 2:57 PM

Jun 2009
Don't forget to watch the movies!
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 25, 2014 2:58 PM

Jan 2013
insan3soldiern said:
Don't forget to watch the movies!

I saw your comments in the first episode discussion too. Thankyou for that, I highly appreciate it
Oct 21, 2014 8:40 PM

Mar 2012
I wonder why the movie changed a few things, such as the way Lap died and the last scene when Yang saw Jessica by the grave.

Now that I've finished the first two episodes which were covered by Overture I'm looking forward to seeing what the next episodes will hold :D

insan3priest said:
Yeah, these two episodes are very very average compared to Overture to A New War. I think that movie is the best way to experience the Battle of Estate and it and My Conquest are a much better introduction to the story.

Definitely agree with this.
Nov 28, 2014 4:16 AM

Jan 2014
Interesting stuff. We shall see how this progresses.

Wonder how many more of
"Reinhard: ....it must be that man.
Kircheis: Commodore Yang Wenli?"
We'll have to go through.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 26, 2015 11:47 AM

May 2012
Another great episode! Let's see what happens next!
Feb 2, 2015 6:54 PM

Aug 2014
This anime just feels..... it feels impactful. The ost is very good and gives you a sense of the greatness of the show. I thought they did a very good job of making the death of that one guy sad because normally I wouldn't care for a random character that dies in the first episode but this series surprisingly made me. I think this anime is gonna be one of my favorites by the time its done.
Feb 2, 2015 11:46 PM

Jan 2013
You should have watched Overture to a New War, instead of the first 2 episodes. That one is brilliantly done in every aspect, compared to these two.
Apr 21, 2015 6:16 AM

Jan 2014
"Get Rekt" the Anime.

Very interesting so far.

Apparently, this Empire has a camouflaged, unreachable Death Star.

GG FPA
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2015 7:04 PM

Jan 2013
Minor changes from the movie, kinda boring to rewatch after just seeing that.
Hopefully it gets better and better.
May 22, 2015 8:14 AM
Nov 2014
Another decent episode, RIP Jean Robert. I loved how Reinhard just doesn't seem to give a fuck about his teammates dying tho, that's what he gets for working with stubborn and foolish people :P
Jun 13, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2013
Damn this was a good episode! Really liked the use of strategy in this episode. Reinhard and Yang are pretty interesting so far :)
Jun 13, 2015 6:41 AM

May 2015
too bad the strategy doesn't make much sense
Jun 13, 2015 10:22 AM
Feb 2014
Does anyone know where I can watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes? It does not appear to be licensed and all of the fansubs on websites like KissAnime and such have an audio delay that makes them nearly unwatchable.
Jul 28, 2015 3:12 AM

Sep 2013
The formations in this anime are funny as fuck.
Jul 28, 2015 11:33 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
noLoserguy said:
too bad the strategy doesn't make much sense

As you continue to watch the anime more, which you have probably, the strategy makes more sense.
Aug 5, 2015 6:15 AM

Jan 2014
koreye said:
'he's disobeying order??!!! Does he want to die'
'*dies*'
'serves him right'
One does not simply disobey Reinhard!
RedRoseFring said:
Wonder how many more of
"Reinhard: ....it must be that man.
Kircheis: Commodore Yang Wenli?"
We'll have to go through.
Hahahah, yeah, I was thinking about that too.
I shall never forget the name Yang Wenli!
May 28, 2016 6:30 PM

Aug 2014
Much more enjoyable than the first episode. I'm glad Yang was finally able to show what he can do.
It's also great to see that the commanding officer from both sides don't let their pride cloud their judgement when making decisions.

Reinhard's reaction to that Rear Admiral dying for disobeying his orders was my favorite part in the episode xD
KashKetchumMay 28, 2016 6:46 PM
Aug 7, 2016 10:19 AM

Oct 2015
I know that Overture to a New War is a great movie, but it does not mean that these two episodes aren't good. I really enjoyed them.
Is it ok to ignore reasonable suggestions until a disaster strikes with full power? There's an old Russian saying "гром не грянет, мужик не перекрестится" - "a man won't cross himself until a thunder strikes", meaning "not to take any measures until something very bad happens". Well, maybe that alone is fine. But expecting someone whose reasonable suggestions were ignored to help at the very last moment... That's incomprehensible! Anyway, this proves once again that heroism is always the result of incompetence.
Poor Jessica. What is the point of promotion for someone who died? Well, at least, they have informed her about it. For I know a person whose uncle died in the combat and his family found out about it only 6 months later only by chance.
To be honest, I think Jessica was a bit harsh on Yang, when she said that war was his job. Though I have to admit it, I would do the same thing. You may think it's weird, but maybe that's the way I am.
Omnia munda mundis
Aug 12, 2016 9:55 PM

Apr 2015
Seems like we've got a rivalry at hand. Still the atmosphere is really boring.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2016 7:40 AM

Nov 2011
I would say that the episode is really well behaved both as regards the narrative that the plot. The atmosphere is once again composed, almost cold and detached. Drawings and animations more than good. The mecha style of warships, reminds me so much steampunk style of Last Exile series. I also noticed how some objects are really futuristic for its time when it was thought.
Sep 27, 2017 5:47 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
thisiodfkln said:

The idea of everyone being incompetent on all sides actually makes some sense. When a war rages for over a century, the economic and political systems built to fight it inflate exponentially. After a certain point the countries can no longer sustain their economy without war, and political figures base their entire agenda around war. That means neither government wants the war to end, which means lopsided victories with high casualties are undesirable. This also means that efficient commanders threaten the job security of all the older, more powerful elite. So they snuff out all the talent before it can bloom, and exploit the talent that has bloomed until it dies a martyr, further fueling the war. When alls said and done, the survivors are often corrupt morons.

This is the only post that matters tbh :P Or maybe it's because everyone else here already figured out what's up. I'm not intelligent enough for politics and economics unfortunately. But it really explains why there are so many incompetent people in high command on both sides. Also explains why the guy ordered that Reinhard and Yang to be kept an eye on...
Oct 4, 2017 9:20 PM

May 2016
episode 2...

i enjoyed it when yang was finally able to take command and show off some of his skills, as was stated by the previous commander. for some reason, i feel as though yang and reinhard share some kind of bond even though they're from different sides.

in the end, yang was able to save somewhat of his fleet from impending doom which is more than they could've asked for. r.i.p lap, even though we didn't know you and what you could've offered to the alliance in the future. all we get is the words of yang about you being on maybe somewhat of a level of strategic value as him. maybe we'll get some flashback of his brilliance.

Nov 29, 2017 11:27 PM

Jan 2010
I've seen this show referred to 3D chess, and I can see how the strategizing shown, particularly in terms of how large the space fleets are, can lead to such a conclusion.

I'm slightly wary of the show in terms of its characters though. Just in the first two episodes, there were quite a number of characters introduced, and without knowingwho is actually important, it certainly feels a bit overwhelming to try and remember everybody's faces, positions, relationships, and significance to the story. Though, given the show's length, I has a lot of time to work with, so it makes sense to have a large cast to take advantage of its episode count.

Lastly, the first two episodes concluded the first battle of the series, giving a sort of idea of what to expect from the rest of the series. There's a lot of strategizing going on, as well as an established rivalry between Reinhard and Yang. From the show's perspective, it presented its first battle in a top-down fashion, showing clips of soldiers explaining the show's functions and technologies, as well as commenting on the state of the battle at a personal level, but most of the battle seemed to have been from the perspective of their commanders. This is slightly different from what I'm used to, where the only other shows I recall viewing wars from on high are Kingdom and that one episode of Irresponsible Captain Tylor. In place of a soldier's drama, we have the calculations and strategy of their commanders, moving sections of their armies around like chess pieces. It's certainly a less personal approach, but it makes for a nice change of pace.
Jan 13, 2018 8:37 AM
Nov 2017
The strategic movement in the Battle of Astate definitely sets the tone for this series. And between Lohengramm and Wenli I am sure we will see a masterful chess match, with real soldiers as chess pieces. I have a feeling on how Rubinsky will come into effect, and that should be fun to see.

Jan 13, 2018 9:46 AM
Aug 2015
thisiodfkln said:
Seabury said:
Lol, this is going to take a while, isn't it? Just 108 episodes to go! I'm not too impressed with the military tactics so far, they sound like things grade schoolers could come up with "OMG, he's attacking our center!!!!" "WHAT?! they went around behind us?" However, it is a remarkable step up from the first episode "Are you insane? You want to attack the three groups ONE AT A TIME?!?!?" Lol, well I've heard this eventually ends up more complex than death note, so I can only assume these first episodes are warming us up for future battles to come.
I agree the tactics are very silly at this point. Why would anyone even want to "break through the center"? It's not like there is anything but empty space behind the enemy army. Even if Yang didn't move behind the Imperials, Reinhard would have deliberately gotten himself surrounded. Later on in the series some talentless guys get massacred for the same thing, if I remember right.

Still it makes sense for the Imperial admirals to be worried about attacking one at a time. If they can't quickly finish each fleet, the reinforcements arrive and the Alliance wins by numbers. Reinhard's battle plan relied on the incompetence of the enemy, which is dangerous to gamble on. If someone happened to listen to Lap or Yang Wen-Li from the start then the Alliance probably would have been fine.

You have to put it into perspective. At that point Reinhard wasn't fighting Yang yet, so he didn't expect much of a rebuttal. Reinhard at this point in the story has a very 'win big or go home' approach to the battles since he needs to make a name for himself. So the idea was to split through the center (destroying the middle portion) and then take down the two sides as they are split up and in a sort of chaotic formation.

However, Yang actively went right/left, leaving no center to target, then sped around the sides instantly giving him a chance to surround-- but as you saw, reinhard was fine, since his plan had a backup option of just speeding forward.

I don't really think it was odd at all.
Jan 19, 2018 6:56 PM

Aug 2016
The lack of emotions is rather worrying, we see this huge war with thousands of people dying yet no one seem to care that much, it's understandble if one or two guys are just being cocky but everyone seem to have this air of nonchalance, really don't like that.
Jan 25, 2018 8:56 PM
May 2017
I liked it a lot more than episode 1, Yang best waifu
Mar 30, 2018 9:38 AM

Mar 2018
So the conclusion of the Battle of Astate.

A victory in a sense for both Reinhard and Yang Wenli. The former overcoming both a strategic and numerical disadvantage of troop size and positioning and the latter minimising the damage caused by Reinhard's cunningness resulting in a dire situation being forced into a stalemate.

Well, that was perfect. The battle inadvertently emphasises the 150 year old ongoing war by the chess match between the two commanders and their ability to out-think and out manoeuvre one another in a way that isn't at all pretentious. I enjoyed this episode highly and it's a perfect keyhole to what i presume will be battles on a more larger and smarter scale to come.

I enjoyed the synopsis of the battle, the context of the area in which the battle is being fought in and the introduction to some of the main characters. As a fan of history, space and historical military battles i'm very excited at what's to come.
WAQRMar 30, 2018 9:44 AM

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 6, 2018 1:55 PM

Sep 2017
This war has only begun? That is so bullshit. The war has been for 150 years and now you say it has begun? Great.

And the tactics were, whatever. I couldn't follow with the stuff anyway and it seems bullshit that the yellow commander couldn't anticipate what was happening.

This is war, fiancee. What, you didn't think that your husband might die? Note to soldiers, promising to marry someone after finishing the battle ain't heroic, it is just fucking cowardly. At least marry and consummate it before going into battle. Or better yet, don't go into battle after all. Marriage in Las Vegas takes 45 minutes.

Both the sides declare it a victory. As expected.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Apr 7, 2018 7:00 AM

Mar 2013
@JeremiahOrange I don't know if it's been made obvious anywhere around here, but if not, it should've been: Anyone new to this series should just watch Overture to a New War. It's essentially a movie remake of the first two episodes of the OVA, which even fans tend to not think highly of from what I've seen (personally I think they're straight up bad compared to Overture, and I love LotGH)

There's also My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars, a prequel movie. Worth watching for sure.
Aug 28, 2018 5:40 PM

Feb 2017
I have to point out that Lap got absolutely destroyed. It looked like he was impaled through most of his torso. I'm sure plenty of people will die during this show, but I wonder how many deaths can surpass Lap's in gruesomeness.
Dec 9, 2018 10:28 PM

Dec 2015
Flying over the first two OAVs, they felt incredibly flat compared to the theatrical remake, especially the first one. Even the battlefield screens paled in comparison.

2/5
Apr 26, 2019 5:22 AM

Apr 2014
The ring formated fighting was wild as fuck.
Sep 14, 2019 11:33 AM

Sep 2018
The battle of Astarte is important in the plot, but it is a trifle, as I find the narrative much more interesting when it focuses on the lives of the protagonists and those who gravitate around them. However this is one of the few anime series I've seen so far, in which the OST is made with classical music. The level of history is very mature, we can deduce it from the dialogues that dispense pearls of wisdom. Surprised by the technological level shown so far in the narrative, they almost predicted the level we are today.
Oct 3, 2019 11:32 AM
Apr 2016
Yang got authority, and thus managed to pull off what others in command couldn't. The show is pretty sophisticated already, and it just begun. Loving this so far.
Oct 18, 2019 9:06 AM

Oct 2012
If only Yang is the commander from the beginning
Jean probably is alive right now

Weird how the Alliance's commanders and Imperial's high ranking officers didn't die sooner
They're way too stubborn
"Signature removed"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 42 Discussion

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

42 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 13, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

135 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 10, 5:42 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 88 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

54 by acuriousmind »»
Sep 7, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 60 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 31, 2008

60 by WilliamMinerva20 »»
Sep 6, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 31 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

92 by Seijatachiiii »»
Sep 4, 4:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.