Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 25, 2008 12:16 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The way the battle progressed really puzzled me. How were the Free Planet's ships able to circle around the Empire's ships for a counterattack so quickly? Well, at least with Erlache dead that makes another less name to remember.

I found it comical after a while how Reinhard can't seem to bring himself to say Yang Wenli. Ever time he'd mention 'that man' it would be immediately followed by Seigfried saying his name like he was trying to reaffirm who they were discussing.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 25, 2008 1:22 PM
Jun 2007
Im on 85.
Its good to go down memory lane and remember the first few episodes.

Stuff will change a LOT. Mindblowingly alot. It just gets better and better.

Except for the "history lesson" type episodes. I've seen 2 of them so far. They're explanations on the history of humanity since earth. Boooooring.

May 25, 2008 1:27 PM

Apr 2007
I started this one up because I've been told the show was epic so I'm looking forward to how much it will change. So far it's been pretty good.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 25, 2008 1:28 PM

Nov 2007
AnimusNathan said:

Except for the "history lesson" type episodes. I've seen 2 of them so far. They're explanations on the history of humanity since earth. Boooooring.

Oddly enough I never found those history lessons boring, which is weird because normally they'd bore the living hell out of me.
May 25, 2008 1:31 PM
Jun 2007
Astaroth said:

Oddly enough I never found those history lessons boring, which is weird because normally they'd bore the living hell out of me.

They were just so repetitive for me. The only part I liked was finding out about the lives of the various kaisers.

Jun 4, 2008 4:39 PM

Mar 2008
judging by the chatter, i think i will like this series

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Jun 8, 2008 2:15 AM

Apr 2008
tainteddonut said:
I found it comical after a while how Reinhard can't seem to bring himself to say Yang Wenli. Ever time he'd mention 'that man' it would be immediately followed by Seigfried saying his name like he was trying to reaffirm who they were discussing.

Over the course of the movie and the first two episodes I think they've done that 4 times. Now that you mention it, it is fucking hilarious! That's the kind of humor Death Note had.

This episode seemed more like Star Wars (which this is without a doubt influenced by, greatly) than any other anime series I've seen. I find it great though that I have almost nothing to compare this series to. Makes the anime seem more unique

OmegaRed said:
judging by the chatter, i think i will like this series
I hope that's sarcastic, meaning that this is an underated anime.

Could you guys keep it down about future stuff? Even though some wouldn't deem that a spoiler, I still don't like hearing anything about future events.

I am still loling from that.

4/5
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jun 9, 2008 11:53 AM
Dec 2007
tainteddonut said:
I started this one up because I've been told the show was epic so I'm looking forward to how much it will change. So far it's been pretty good.

Don't worry you won't be disappointed, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu must be the most ambitious and the best series ever created. An unforgetable experience for sure, I'm pretty sure that I'll remember this one for the rest of my life.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 10, 2008 7:54 AM

Apr 2008
Jacut said:
tainteddonut said:

Don't worry you won't be disappointed, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu must be the most ambitious and the best series ever created. An unforgetable experience for sure, I'm pretty sure that I'll remember this one for the rest of my life.
You make me optimistic.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jun 24, 2008 12:31 AM

Jun 2008
So far I'm enjoying this series. It's like a soap opera for guys. I guess the term space opera would be more accurate.

Anyways, I like it, and can't wait for the series to progress.
Feb 19, 2009 5:04 AM

Jun 2008
I'm kinda not used to these kind of wars, it's just kinda look like a chess game.
Apr 10, 2009 6:25 AM

Mar 2008
kie_ said:
it's just kinda look like a chess game.

I guess that's the point? :D
Jul 21, 2009 3:09 PM

Dec 2008
Good ep. Wenli rules, and it was funny to see Reinhard loosing his cool.
Jul 21, 2009 8:07 PM

Nov 2008
kie_ said:
I'm kinda not used to these kind of wars, it's just kinda look like a chess game.

I believe before LOGH getting this name, it was "Chessgame of something", I don't recall the name or the story behind the name change or whatever happened.
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Jul 25, 2009 6:33 AM

Apr 2009
That was painful. Let's break through their center (*hits head against wall repeatedly*).
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Aug 2, 2009 7:52 AM

Jan 2009
What I'm glad to notice in this show that both sides have their share of fools, sort of reaffirming the fact that the Alliance and the Empire are relatively even in terms of strength, or rather weakness in capable commanding officers.
DeadBonesBrookAug 4, 2009 8:21 PM
Aug 4, 2009 6:52 PM

Feb 2009
I've watched the movie (My Conquest is the sea of stars) and judging by the movie and the past two episodes of this anime I'm gonna enjoy this one.

Sep 2, 2009 3:51 PM

Sep 2008
'he's disobeying order??!!! Does he want to die'
'*dies*'
'serves him right'

lolz

epic!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 22, 2009 6:11 PM

Nov 2007
tainteddonut said:

Ha ha I found that amusing as well xD
Nov 18, 2009 10:30 AM

Apr 2009
'Stupid. Does he want to die?'
-boom-
'...serves him right.' - his expression = priceless.

I loved the contrast between news for Jessica and for Annerose...It just says so much about war: they are both waiting, both probably don't care much about who wins or loses this particular battle, as long as their loved one comes home safely.
I'm starting to see that this show won't provide us with black&white morality, villains and heroes, 'good' and 'bad' sides. And that's awesome x)
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 21, 2009 5:43 PM

May 2009
What a strange way to end a battle - that formation.
And I liked how the Free Planets Alliance claimed it was a "great victory".. Yeah right.
Nov 22, 2009 3:00 AM

Mar 2008
As a good democratic government the FPA has to claim other's accomplishments as its own and embellish them.

Example :
Economic Growth of Country F = 0%
Speech of the governement : "Thanks to our work we have succeeded in not having a negative economic growth !"
Dec 12, 2009 4:24 AM

Apr 2009
nice episode..
i want more strategic moves between those 2 guys X)))

i'd sit all day just to watch how those 2 play with each other xD
Dec 14, 2009 1:04 PM
Oct 2009
does this anime get better later on?...cuz im not impressed....
Dec 15, 2009 4:44 AM

Jul 2008
KoolKidsKlub said:
does this anime get better later on?

yes it does...
Dec 15, 2009 8:06 AM

Jan 2008
KoolKidsKlub said:

no, the first two episodes are the best episode and the climax of LoGH, you have seen everything.
Dec 17, 2009 12:40 AM

Sep 2008
CoolKidsClub said:

My own opinion is that the animation, story, direction etc is at its lowest in the first two episodes. I got intimidated as well. A lot of things from the story were cut out in these two episodes since the ppl behind the anime wanted to get to the action ASAP. The result is a bit shabby and turns off some people mostly because of the clunky pace. You will find that the movie "overture to the new war" is a much much better version of the first two episodes. I've seen like 24 episodes uptill now and I'd say the anime gets a lot better later on., although I'm told that the real stuff is yet to come.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 29, 2009 4:39 AM

Sep 2009
Death Star? 0_o
Mar 25, 2010 1:08 PM
Jan 2010
Cenedess said:
'Stupid. Does he want to die?'
-boom-
'...serves him right.' - his expression = priceless.

Yeah, that was funny.

But I really hope this show gets better later on.
Jul 16, 2010 4:34 PM
Jun 2010
After seeing the "Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War" Movie, I have to say this episode was mediocre to average, things went too fast and dialogue and character interaction are better in the movie.
supersayenJul 16, 2010 5:39 PM

Jul 17, 2010 5:51 AM

Sep 2008
(YAY!! I got another excuse for shamelessly promoting overture to the new war)

supersayen said:
After seeing the "Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War" Movie, I have to say this episode was mediocre to average, things went too fast and dialogue and character interaction are better in the movie.

that's what I always say to people. Watching Overture to the new war AND My conquest before staring the main series helps you sink into the series much faster. If more people followed that order (my conquest -> overture -> main series) there would definitely be far less people dropping it during the first couple of episodes.

AnimusNathan said:

I actually found the history lesson episodes to be among the most interesting throughout the series
eyerokJul 17, 2010 5:56 AM
Aug 9, 2010 9:42 AM

May 2010
Lol, this is going to take a while, isn't it? Just 108 episodes to go! I'm not too impressed with the military tactics so far, they sound like things grade schoolers could come up with "OMG, he's attacking our center!!!!" "WHAT?! they went around behind us?" However, it is a remarkable step up from the first episode "Are you insane? You want to attack the three groups ONE AT A TIME?!?!?" Lol, well I've heard this eventually ends up more complex than death note, so I can only assume these first episodes are warming us up for future battles to come.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 9, 2010 11:16 AM

Oct 2007
Next time try watching Overture instead of the first 2 eps, because Overture is like 10 times better than the first 2 eps
Aug 11, 2010 3:31 AM

Jan 2010
wow this war was so camp -_-

is this god forsaken battle over yet?it was like seeing two guys playing battleship or something...

however i liked the final minutes,so 3/5

yep i'm done ranting
clannad4everAug 11, 2010 3:37 AM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 15, 2010 5:50 PM

May 2010
I actually liked this episode because that high commander from the Imperial Fleet died.

I am a horrible person am I?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 7, 2011 6:44 AM

Aug 2010
-LU- said:
Death Star? 0_o

I thought the same.

Twas a good episode. I didn't quite understand why the Alliance said that they won. They obviously lost a lot more than the Imperials, so even if it were a draw of some sort, they sort of lost in a way, right?
Feb 7, 2011 11:37 AM

Jul 2009
Akolatronic said:
-LU- said:
Death Star? 0_o
I didn't quite understand why the Alliance said that they won. They obviously lost a lot more than the Imperials, so even if it were a draw of some sort, they sort of lost in a way, right?

The Alliance lost badly. The spin is simply war propaganda. Can't let the public's or soldiers' morale go down.
Aug 8, 2011 4:30 PM
Jul 2010
Seabury said:
Lol, this is going to take a while, isn't it? Just 108 episodes to go! I'm not too impressed with the military tactics so far, they sound like things grade schoolers could come up with "OMG, he's attacking our center!!!!" "WHAT?! they went around behind us?" However, it is a remarkable step up from the first episode "Are you insane? You want to attack the three groups ONE AT A TIME?!?!?" Lol, well I've heard this eventually ends up more complex than death note, so I can only assume these first episodes are warming us up for future battles to come.
I agree the tactics are very silly at this point. Why would anyone even want to "break through the center"? It's not like there is anything but empty space behind the enemy army. Even if Yang didn't move behind the Imperials, Reinhard would have deliberately gotten himself surrounded. Later on in the series some talentless guys get massacred for the same thing, if I remember right.

Still it makes sense for the Imperial admirals to be worried about attacking one at a time. If they can't quickly finish each fleet, the reinforcements arrive and the Alliance wins by numbers. Reinhard's battle plan relied on the incompetence of the enemy, which is dangerous to gamble on. If someone happened to listen to Lap or Yang Wen-Li from the start then the Alliance probably would have been fine.
Aug 8, 2011 9:53 PM
Jun 2011
I was surprised when Reinhard wanted to break through the center. Sometimes you just have to suspend logic to believe certain story aspects. It's enough for me to just go a long for the ride though.
Aug 9, 2011 2:34 PM
Jul 2010
Grisle said:
I was surprised when Reinhard wanted to break through the center. Sometimes you just have to suspend logic to believe certain story aspects. It's enough for me to just go a long for the ride though.
Really? I don't think so. Logic is what makes me agree with Yang when he questions why people feel they need to die for other men's rhetoric. It doesn't seem very consistent to not think when the show is failing, but do think in order to recognize when the show succeeds. Not that you weren't paying attention or anything. I just don't want to gloss over obvious weaknesses.

Either way LoGH grows out of these odd fumbles pretty quickly. For most of the series there's no need to suspend much of anything, because all LoGH does is win.
Aug 9, 2011 5:41 PM
Jun 2011
I agree with you...I didn't mean always of course, but there are certain times when I have to be a little more forgiving of what's going on. There are certain points later in the show where I still feel that way. I just find it hard to believe that so many of the other people in the show are just so bad a waging war. There are obvious situations where the ships turn around while being fired upon to fire back, but then they're destroyed. By logic I meant that I don't feel that there would be that many admirals, captains, or soldiers who were just plain incompetent in a war that's lasted for 150 years. It seems those who are alive have survived by being good at what they do. So in that instance I just go with what the story is telling me and I completely enjoy it.

I don't feel that the show misses a step when they tackle issues like politics and society, but sometimes the war strategies don't come off as complex as they're supposed to. You can tell that Yang, Reinhard, Oberstein, and even Julian think several steps ahead and have thought of all the possible scenarios. I was just really surprised that Reinhard would try to break through the center and then be surprised himself once that didn't seem to work...it was a little off to me.
Aug 9, 2011 6:36 PM
Jul 2010
Yeah pretty much. Breaking through the center would have make sense if Reinhard was trying to retreat, or if he wanted to assault something far behind the enemy fleet. But when ships can only shoot forward, I don't know who in their right mind would voluntarily push the enemy to the sides.

The idea of everyone being incompetent on all sides actually makes some sense. When a war rages for over a century, the economic and political systems built to fight it inflate exponentially. After a certain point the countries can no longer sustain their economy without war, and political figures base their entire agenda around war. That means neither government wants the war to end, which means lopsided victories with high casualties are undesirable. This also means that efficient commanders threaten the job security of all the older, more powerful elite. So they snuff out all the talent before it can bloom, and exploit the talent that has bloomed until it dies a martyr, further fueling the war. When alls said and done, the survivors are often corrupt morons.
Aug 9, 2011 6:44 PM
Jun 2011
Point well made...I can get on board with that.
Aug 9, 2011 11:38 PM

Mar 2011
That was pretty cool, reminded me of Star Wars. I laughed my ass of when that one idiot admirable disobeyed the orders and died directly after.

"THAT MAN" "HIM" "HE" I also wonder why they don't say each others names. I do find it amusing like everyone else.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 15, 2011 4:40 AM

Sep 2010
lol that one guy got pwnd like a second after he disobeyed orders. He was right he did deserve it, but that did make me chuckle when Reinhard said that.

Poor Jessica.

Decent episode 3/5
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Nov 5, 2011 5:54 PM

Sep 2008
I still have high hopes for this series... I'm not used to watching these types - or perhaps not used to not having shiny, up-to-date, overdone animation - so I'm hoping this will turn out to be super epic as everyone seems to say it is.

That said...
TowardsTheStars said:
I laughed my ass of when that one idiot admirable disobeyed the orders and died directly after.

I found that amusing in particular. And then Reinhardt had no sympathy. The only thing he had to say, "He deserved it. He's a good example for the rest." That plus his expression? Priceless.
Dec 4, 2011 5:58 AM

Aug 2010
Interesting to see Yang outwitting Reinhard! Ingenious
Dec 14, 2011 2:56 AM

Mar 2008
kie_ said:
it's just kinda look like a chess game.

i had the exact same thoughts.. kinda like playing chess xD
the start is decent, not much to say about it..
i just wanted to try it out now and see if i'll be able to continue watching it during my holidays.. and i will :)
Feb 16, 2012 5:36 PM

Aug 2010
I actually liked this episode compared to the first one. Yang and Reinhard are really interesting characters.
Feb 17, 2012 10:41 AM

Oct 2010
Confucius said:
I actually liked this episode because that high commander from the Imperial Fleet died.

I am a horrible person am I?

Hey, you know, I think this worked for me too. What an awful character, he'd better stay dead.

But really, this episode was a huge improvement from the first. In fact I struggle to point these two as part of the same series. It's not only that both Reinhard and Yang have gained several layers of depth and interest in just one episode, but that the dialogues, if still heavily philosophical and at times clumsily delivered, are much better worked and they help to reinforce the personality of each one. The battle strategies were very entertaining to see, and the emotional climax moments were quite well done. What the hell happened between episodes 1 and 2?

Damn it, I guess I will have to watch this whole series through after all. 9/10
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.