Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion

May 29, 2008 3:26 PM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Even counting a couple of mistakes, the crew at Iserlohn did pretty good holding up so far. I see this is why they were saving Merkatz instead of killing him off. He proved quite useful in keeping things together.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Sep 5, 2008 2:13 AM

This was like a boss battle. Insane.

Oct 19, 2008 7:45 AM

When I started this ep I thought "does not look good for the allies" now I am thinking that it's about tied between the two. But now that the Imperials know that Yang is not there they have an even bigger advantage.

Feb 2, 2009 5:42 AM

Fuck Star Wars. Fuck it in the ear.

LotGH pits two Death Stars against each other. Take that Lucas you fat necked fuck!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Jun 19, 2009 11:34 PM

Love the Episode. Iserlohn is holding the ground until yang come back, and is so nice to see Merkatz leading the fleet

Also, is amazing to see a battle between two things of that size.

Sep 4, 2009 11:57 PM

Impressive battle scenes... I see why everyone says the second season improves the series. It already had good characters, now the battle scenes are great and smart. So, this is pretty cool.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Sep 13, 2009 12:23 PM

Haha, even without Yang, Iserlohn has enough talent to defend it. Merkatz and the Rosenritter being two shining examples.

Seeing both fortresses firing their main guns was just too awesome for words.

Sep 14, 2009 6:26 PM

I still don't understand why the are using battle axe's just doesn't make any sense to me.

Good battle, Merkatz is definitely a genius and i am glad that he is now on Yang's team(He needed a few more intelligent commanders).

Jun 20, 2010 8:58 PM
Manga Moderator
歌は愛♡歌は希望

That was pretty cool. I thought the Alliance was screwed but they managed to fix their mistakes.

I loved Yang talking about how the Empire's dependence on Reinhard means they'll be a mess if he dies. Kind of made think of how in the Twelve Kingdoms the kings are immortal just to solve that problem.
Modified by adamantine, Jun 20, 2010 9:02 PM

BEGINNER

Jul 21, 2010 8:11 PM
"Making use of Geiersberg Fortress's huge mass..."
"They sealing up our own main guns and strengthened their own armor !"

Ok that part was a bit confusing. What does the Geiersberg Fortress have to do with the "main guns" being sealed, didn't they just put them in the back of the fortress to shoot the Empire's fleet

And how did the Geirsberg armor get stronger suddenly ?

And what's up with the "gravity" explanation, it didn't make sense to me :/

Jul 22, 2010 10:19 PM
supersayen said:

Ok that part was a bit confusing. What does the Geiersberg Fortress have to do with the "main guns" being sealed, didn't they just put them in the back of the fortress to shoot the Empire's fleet

I cannot remember most of these episodes, but I'm pretty sure that as far as gravity and Geiersberg's armor is involved, due to Iserlohn's huge mass and gravitational pull, it pulls Geiersberg's liquid armor towards Iserlohn, thus making it stronger.
Modified by Excelsior, Jul 24, 2010 12:13 AM

Sep 12, 2010 3:18 PM

Beatnik said:

LotGH pits two Death Stars against each other. Take that Lucas you fat necked fuck!

i couldn't help but lmao :)

man so much things weren't explained well or i wasn't paying attention,so i couldn't fully enjoy this episode

i guess we'll get out conclusion in 1-2 episodes,who's getting the corridor :)

i hope the FPA...Yang's such a pacifist

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Sep 15, 2010 11:28 AM

Excelsior said:
supersayen said:

I cannot remember most of these episodes, but I'm pretty sure that as far as gravity and Geiersberg's armor is involved, due to Iserlohn's huge mass and gravitational pull, it pulls Geiersberg's liquid armor towards Iserlohn, thus making it stronger.

wha..wait thats what I said! where's my post where I said that!
yea it was something like that, gravity makes the liquid defense thicker and stronger- I think they explained it in the episode
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Nov 22, 2010 6:29 PM

I hope Reinhard goes to Geirsberg himself and just beats up that commander for incompetence.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Aug 7, 2011 8:36 PM
The Alliance really turned that around...wonder what the Empire will do with the knowledge they've acquired.

Sep 18, 2011 12:53 PM
Epic battle! All these supporting characters like Cazellnu, Muller and Kempf are finally get a chance to shine. Too bad for them, the unprecedented scale has thrown off their already meager performances.

Oct 15, 2011 6:51 PM

Was that the first time they actually used the z-axis? I believe they only fought in two dimensions before.

Oct 23, 2011 10:10 PM

Two big balls going at it. It's a battle of epic proportions.

Dec 3, 2011 8:46 AM
Holy shit... Fuck Star Wars.

Dec 23, 2011 10:48 PM

Fighting in three dimensions, AND an epic battle involving speeder bikes with axes?
Mama Mia.

Feb 5, 2012 9:58 PM

Once Yang arrives at the scene the Empire is fucked

Merkatz did a fine job at holding them off

Mar 29, 2012 2:09 PM

That was great. The first season space battles had been a bit disappointing after the prequels but now they're starting to be of the same standard. Also with the use of music. Beethoven FTW.

Apr 25, 2012 8:56 PM

So far, the two people who have done the most to save the Alliance at Iserlohn have been Schenkopp and Merkatz. Now what do those two have in common...?

May 30, 2012 8:41 PM

Hakuromatsu said:
So far, the two people who have done the most to save the Alliance at Iserlohn have been Schenkopp and Merkatz. Now what do those two have in common...?

....They are both originally from the Empire? To be fair to the Alliance, the Empire had a shit load of incompetent bastards when Merkatz was there.

Speaking of Merkatz, it's great to see what he can do when surrounded by people who KNOW how to let him do his job. He was fantastic here.

Man, this season has been fantastic.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jul 28, 2013 11:06 PM

That Merkatz is a smart ass old man.

Sep 15, 2013 9:25 PM

They got owned ... I really didn't think Merkatz was a good enough tactician to stop this but I guess I was wrong.

Jan 16, 2014 6:29 AM

The Death Star face-off in this episode was awesome I love this anime :D

Apr 19, 2014 8:30 PM

SlickDragon said:
Yang is reaching his limit of tolerance, I only wish that he could join with Reinhardt and abolish the mockery of "democracy" that the Free Alliance supposedly stands for. If Kircheis was alive that would likely have been a probable outcome, since Kircheis greatly respected and held of Yang, and would smooth the transition of alliance between the two mammoths Reinhardt and Yang. This is one of the primary reasons Kircheis had to die, to render the otherwise sensible alliance between the two nearly impossible.

This is what i said after watching episode 31. Interesting for Yang to say here in Ep 33-

"And when I received news of his Death, I felt as if an old friend had died. It might be called the hypocrisy of fighting opponents, but if he were here he might have become a bridge for the sake of coexistence of the Alliance and the Empire".

Jul 2, 2014 7:41 PM

nice to see merkatz getting in on that action and some fortress vs fortress action o_O. some great dialogue as well.

Aug 5, 2014 1:05 PM

Nice to see Merkatz free from having his talents choked. Old guy be showing everyone how it's done.

Nov 4, 2014 8:09 PM

Haytin said:
The Death Star face-off in this episode was awesome I love this anime :D

Pretty epic stuff :)

Feb 22, 2015 2:22 PM

Damn epic episode! Let's see what happens next!

Feb 26, 2015 4:33 PM

That was an exciting action-packed episode. Probably one of the best so far. Can't wait to see the next one!

May 27, 2015 3:45 AM

Very good episode, action packed with great usage of strategies and it was refreshing to see the alliance forces held on their own without the help of Wenli.

DAT fortress vs fortress stuff was GOAT.

Jun 27, 2015 3:24 AM

Amazing episode. Cool to see that they still hold their own even without Yang's help.

Oct 12, 2015 3:53 PM

well that's good they managed to do this well without Yang.. but the battle still far from over though!

Oct 19, 2015 12:43 AM

It was nice to see some actual man action, y'know. :D
I like that grey-haired young man from the Empire. :)

Dec 5, 2015 2:24 PM

OK, Yang is sure very talented, but those Yang worshipers among imperial soldiers are starting to get on my nerves.

May 2, 2016 7:58 PM

That was a marked improvement over the samey and poorly thought-out battle sequences from the first 26 episodes. We're having some proper space action now. No shallow caricature commanders to be found!

And even a cool sci-fi idea. Using a constant like gravity to nix the super-tech defense barrier is a great idea and it's amusing how the mobile fortress' true purpose isn't as a giant flying gun but just to neutralize the enemy's defense and best offense while the regular warships follow up on the vulnerability.

Yang doesn't go far enough in identifying the weakness inherent in Reinhard's regime. True, there's reason to doubt whomever succeeds Reinhard, but there's also reason to doubt Reinhard, no matter his personal qualities. Didn't we have a discussion just last episode of how Rudolf became a dictator out of a desire to serve others but became a monster? Do I need to quote "power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely"?

May 13, 2016 3:53 PM
burntlettuce said:
I still don't understand why the are using battle axe's just doesn't make any sense to me.

Good battle, Merkatz is definitely a genius and i am glad that he is now on Yang's team(He needed a few more intelligent commanders).

Very old comment, I'm aware. The reason is because (if you've seen the OVA) using a gun on those armored suits are ineffective. Remember that "guns" now are all lasers/blasters and since both the Alliance and Empire have been at war for over 150 years we can assume that combat has grown substantially, but counters for those have grown just as easily.

The good ol' steel axe probably is the only thing that hasn't changed.

Jun 10, 2016 10:10 AM

Wasn't expecting to see a bit of discomfort between Kempt and Muller...I guess that's what happens when two egos clash.

I'm glad Merkatz's putting in work for the team.

Oct 2, 2016 7:38 PM

It's about time there was an actually interesting space battle, and between two death stars no less. It's also nice to see other competent commanders on both sides instead of one being overly dumb as was the case in the first season.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Jan 6, 2017 7:29 PM

Magneficient, epic fight between the 2 fortress. Got goosebump when they exchanged firepower, the music used in battles is brilliant, makes me feel like i'm watching an opera performance lol. Merkats saved the day for alliance side, the old geez knows the Empire side more than anyone else in Iserlohn fortress, combined with his experience versus the new and hasty Admiral on the offensive side, the outcome was clear. However Kempf made an ambiguous report to Reinhard, and he seems frustrated. This man is just as ambitous as many others, and he's striving to earn a place in Reinhard's mind, so defeat is not an option, he'll probably do something haste and crazy to win the next battle.

Feb 14, 2017 1:34 PM

Another great episode, space fight episode, between Fortress against Fortress!!!! Strategy and lucky, and for the moment, draw!!!

Will Yang can change this if arrives on time?

Merkatz, perfect!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Sep 20, 2018 5:39 PM

Yang's mere existence messes up the Empire's strategic plans.
Modified by eski514, Sep 20, 2018 5:54 PM

Nov 6, 2018 2:49 PM

putting the exelence of this episode asides, I found it funny how the name of the alliances's planes where all alcohol. cognac, wisky, vodka... :b