Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 30, 2008 8:21 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yang finally got the guts to pursue Frederica romantically. I wasn't expecting a marriage proposal. I thought they'd start out a bit slower. The timing feels bad though. I've got a bad feeling I can't shake because of it.

Walter's quote about a rotten democracy vs. the best autocracy is one well worth thinking about. Yang has held onto his firm belief that democracy is the way to go but the only thing to come out of his government is corruption. In comparison Reinhard has brought about great reforms that has helped many of his people. Granted it's not perfect since Reinhard has done some shady dealings on the side, but compared to Truniht's administration its looks to be the lesser of two evils (for the present at least).

Yang looked worried and downplayed his skills and chances at victory. Does he really believe that he has no chance or is it a show of some modesty? From the look of the battles start they were pretty evenly matched. They're holding a conservative battle and are sharing the same frustrations with their subordinates during the fight. Turneisen did screw things up for Reinhard though.

They sure upped the graphic content for this episode. People trying to pull in their intestines, soldiers crawling with half their body blown off, decapitations, badly burned bodies, etc. If they're trying to hone a point about war atrocities they've succeeded.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Sep 15, 2008 11:40 PM

Feb 2008
tainteddonut said:
They sure upped the graphic content for this episode. People trying to pull in their intestines, soldiers crawling with half their body blown off, decapitations, badly burned bodies, etc. If they're trying to hone a point about war atrocities they've succeeded.

Yeah, that was pretty over the top. Maybe I've got bad taste, but it was fairly funny because it was just ... insanely graphic and kind of came out of nowhere. But when you really think about it, that is a lot of attention to detail and pretty realistic. I couldn't help but think of real wars after seeing those scenes.

Finally, Yang makes a move on Frederica. I've got kind of a bad feeling here myself, always kind of had between them. That scene itself was pretty funny though, both hilarious and painful to an extent, we really get to see some of Yang's weaker chararacteristics.

Yang really doesn't seem motivated and confident all of a sudden. This is getting pretty intense, not exactly sure where things are heading. Reinhard seems to be having trouble himself, but possess a lot more charisma and confidence than Yang at this moment.
Oct 25, 2008 7:43 AM

Aug 2008
It seems like a pretty even battle. They played the atrocities of war factor very well. I am thinking that this whole battle will be decided within a few episodes filled with brilliance and insane twists to the battle. My feelings are that Reinhard will win but barely and Yang surviving because one of his officers will sacrifice himself. Something like that seems pretty plausible for this show.
Nov 24, 2008 8:06 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
holy gory details!!! This episode is rated for sure....

That was rather shockingly surprising....

Yang looks like he has more tricks to pull out than Reinhard...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 16, 2008 9:58 AM

Apr 2007
Good episode, minus the fact I think it'll give me nightmares.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
Jan 3, 2009 8:16 PM
Jul 2018
Definitely wasn't expecting the graphic and gory details, but it really brings into perspective what wars really are. This, and Yang's awkward but amusing proposal, made for a really surprising episode.
Feb 13, 2009 4:14 AM

Jan 2008
Most awkward mariage proposal in anime? Glad he's gotten over his guilt for being responsible for taking so many lives, and am also glad he feels guilt in the first place. Julian's mild jealously surprised me though, didnt notice it myself (or they didnt show it enough) but in context it makes sense.

As for the gory stuff, I thought it was about time we saw that. Seeing endless ship after ship blown up and countless lives lost after over 50 episodes, I've always wandered about the various situations soldiers would face in those vessels of death. I'd say being a fighter pilot would be the best position if you want some chance of surviving a battle like this.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 8, 2009 7:35 PM

Apr 2007
Okay I can handle gore, but seeing a guy try to put his intestines back into his body is a little too much for me. It was the first thing that was shown too. Ugh.

Putting that aside, Yang's awkward and hilarious proposal feels sudden and is giving me a really bad feeling. I also love the reason as to why he didn't propose to Frederica before.
Aug 24, 2009 10:55 AM

May 2009
This episode makes me wonder about the PG-13 rating. I mean people were literally trying to keep their guts in and some people were shown being completely burnt to death. I have never seen that in something rated PG-13 before. Don't get the wrong idea though, I thought it was hilarious.

That awkward proposal was a funny seen. Typical Yang fashion really, do everything off the battlefield sloppy, unorganized and awkward! I hate that douche for trying to get fame and fucking things of for the Empire. A LOT of idiot commanders trying to gain fame or thinking certain actions are cowardly and trying to avoid them. All the truly talented people laugh at these stupid traditions and don't care about glory and instead care bout winning. I 'm getting the feeling that Yang will die soon hope not, with Julian leaving soon Frederica will have no one to comfort her

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Sep 17, 2009 6:08 PM

Jan 2009
That Konev... leveling up his sarcasm and taking it to Poplan was something. :D

and.... and...... AND YANG, THAT BASTARD YANG.... HE FINALLY DID IT! HE POPPED THE QUESTION! GOOD GOING, SIR.

Yet, Cazellnu makes a good point in reminding us how the human mind and love can't be totally defined with formulas. The man sure carries much under his belt. Ah, the married life... something Yang has been thinking about for sometime. He's right in questioning himself whether or not to pursue something like that considering all that he has done in the past.

Aside from that, I can't wrap my head around what Yang said about preferring to live under such a terrible democracy instead of a well-handled autocracy.

And was it just me, or is the Hyperion the only ship in the Alliance that has some sort of beam shielding?

This episode certainly shows the ugly side of when ships get attacked. Very repulsive. All the better to demonstrate how terrible war is in general.
Nov 2, 2009 4:37 AM

Nov 2007
man that was graphic
Nov 16, 2009 6:34 AM

Dec 2008
Monochrome said:

Putting that aside, Yang's awkward and hilarious proposal feels sudden and is giving me a really bad feeling. I also love the reason as to why he didn't propose to Frederica before.

I concur with the bad feeling. Am I the only one that thinks Yang is going to do an Obi-Wan here? It would certainly make for a bitter statement in keeping with the show's realism- the nice guys don't always win. In addition, Julian's been nicely set up to take over the reigns.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 1, 2009 9:00 AM

Dec 2008
I'm surprised that Yang proposed to Frederica, it was kind of sudden, and for some reason I have a bad feeling about this.

Most graphic episode yet, thet guy pulling his intestines really was a WTF moment.
Dec 12, 2009 5:33 PM

Nov 2007
50 episodes later, violence.
Dec 12, 2009 7:18 PM

May 2009
Gooore!

And god, that was an awkward proposal.. Go Yang!
Dec 12, 2009 7:37 PM

Nov 2007
Definitely the most Yang proposal there could be.
Dec 12, 2009 8:25 PM

Apr 2008
Orangevision said:
50 episodes later, violence.

Oh, come now, the first capture of Iserlohn and the capture of Geiersburg Fortress come to mind.
Dec 12, 2009 9:18 PM

Nov 2007
There has been violence, just not this graphic I recall. This was actually the first time I realized this show was rated R.

I could've forgotten those kind of scenes though, I actually had half year break with this show little while ago.
Jan 11, 2010 6:49 AM

Sep 2008
I almost expected Yang to start the proposal with a lip-lock like they do in the movies and on tv hehe but he did it like a gentleman and it all felt real. :)
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 12, 2010 2:12 PM

Apr 2009
Monochrome said:
Okay I can handle gore, but seeing a guy try to put his intestines back into his body is a little too much for me. It was the first thing that was shown too. Ugh.

yeah that was WAY too much o_O
man those details made me feel unconfortable xD

and yeah i Think Yang will probably die..
every show with a hero/genius dies at the end))
its like in the Prison break show)
May 1, 2010 7:15 PM

Aug 2008
I'm glad to see the couple officialized.

That was some graphic gore of the Black Hawk Down variety but very fitting and helps illustrates Yang's feelings of guilt and feelings that he doesn't deserve happiness with a family.

I really found Yang's self-appraisal and objective consideration to be very sweet.
May 26, 2010 7:28 AM

Jun 2009
Damn, some gorey shit near the end there. I never met any of those soldiers (no shit) but when that guy was calling for his Mother, it hit a spot.
Jul 18, 2010 1:05 PM

Apr 2009
...I was literally choking with laughter throughout this whole Yang/Frederica scene. Damn. That's Yang for you XD
And aww, poor Julian. I had thought he had a thing for Frederica, yeah...xP

SUDDENLY, GUTS. Ouchhh. x___X Though I'm glad that they showed all that in so much detail, burning corpses and all...because seeing just blue and red squares disappear doesn't really let you realise just how many people are dying at that moment.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 21, 2010 12:13 AM

Aug 2008
Holy balls! It was like watching the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan during the end of this episode! WhoA!

That kind of overshadowed the tense battle itself, and also Yang giving one of the worst proposals I've ever seen. But I gotta commend him. You found yourself a good catch. Ms. Greenhill is hot!

Suck it Julian, Miracle Yang strikes again!
Aug 22, 2010 6:22 AM
Jun 2010
wtf even HOTD doesn't show this kind of violence (in anime).

This show is so lucky for being an OVA :-/

I didn't get how the empire lost the battle, didn't they get reinforcement from behind ? how does that make things worse ?
supersayenAug 22, 2010 6:33 AM

Oct 4, 2010 1:25 PM

Jan 2010
finally Yang proposes ^^

but LMFAO at the proposal scene xD
Yang:-I need a wife
Frederika:-Well with both our sallaries we might cover all the expenses
Yang:-So yes?
Frederika:-Yes yes yes xD

that was so...i don't know unrealistic :p

but this was a great episode once again,maybe the best of the 2nd season ^^

smokes said:

that better not happen :\...if yang will ever die,i don't know if i could watch it anymore :\,i mean i watch it cause i love to see the FPA interacting with eachother,and Yang is 95% of it :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 4, 2010 1:42 PM

Jul 2009
clannad4ever said:
finally Yang proposes ^^

but LMFAO at the proposal scene xD
Yang:-I need a wife
Frederika:-Well with both our sallaries we might cover all the expenses
Yang:-So yes?
Frederika:-Yes yes yes xD

that was so...i don't know unrealistic :p

but this was a great episode once again,maybe the best of the 2nd season ^^

smokes said:

that better not happen :...if yang will ever die,i don't know if i could watch it anymore :,i mean i watch it cause i love to see the FPA interacting with eachother,and Yang is 95% of it :)

5/5

Haha unrealistic ? This is how my dad proposed:
"When are we going to get married?"
Oct 6, 2010 9:13 AM

Sep 2008
lol...your dad sounds awesome :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Nov 11, 2010 8:47 AM

Oct 2009
A guy got his eyeballs boiled right out of their sockets.
Nov 26, 2010 1:04 AM

Apr 2009
Haha this was the goriest episode so far. I'm glad Yang proposed to Greenhill, but wow he moves fast. :)
Nov 28, 2010 12:33 PM

May 2010
The gore and violence actually made this series so much more epic. It shows what really happens in war. It doesn't just show all the "emotions" that people talk after for philosophy or "everyone including the main characters are happy, so there a happy ending".

And kudos to you, Yang, for proposing.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 26, 2011 5:02 PM
Jul 2018
a marriage proposal and the gore..-__-
Mar 27, 2011 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
I liked the little close up on the picture of Truniht during the horror of the battle. Subtle but powerful. I'm glad they've gone this route as it makes the battles seem a lot more emotional/personal and realistic.

I've got a bad feeling about the Yang/Greenhill/Julian setup...I can see that not going smoothly
Mar 27, 2011 6:10 PM

Aug 2009
I wish they would show more graphic violence like that. War animes need it in order to get the sense of intensity across, for me anyway.

Awkwardest proposal ever lol. Yang is so cute. But the thing about his guilt, I wish we didn't have to learn about it from the narrator. They could have found a more creative way to show us that. I think this show is a bit flawed in terms of showing the characters emotions. They need more scenes with the characters talking to people who are close to them.
Apr 10, 2011 6:00 AM

Feb 2010
Most awkward confession I've seen, Yang even blabber out the fact he once thought of pulling ranks for it. And he was so dense he didn't even know Frederica accepts it until she had to said the obvious 'Yes'. Glad he succeeded though.
Aug 16, 2011 8:09 PM
Jun 2011
Yang and Frederica was a surprise. There was a lot of gore in this episode, but it didn't really bother me...I've seen way worse.
Nov 23, 2011 1:44 PM

Mar 2011
Great episode. The destruction of war scenes were done very well.

Go Yang, you're the man! I hope everything bodes well for them...
Dec 9, 2011 6:05 PM
Feb 2011
I forget the movie that this is from (I think "All's Quiet on the Western Front") but the main character ran across the no mans land between the opposing forces and hid in a hole, and then a soldier from the other side came up and slid into the same hole, and didn't see him. the main character stabbed the soldier, but didn't kill him. He sat in that hole for a long time waiting for the gunfire to stop, and staring at the guy he stabbed. Listening to him call for his mother in his own language while he was bleeding out. After a while he went over and used his own field med kit to bandage the guy up.

For some reason, seeing the guy with no lower body in this episode calling for his mom made me remember this. We've seen hundreds of ships just explode in this series. How many people have died?
Jan 14, 2012 2:26 AM

Jul 2009
LOGH turns into Saving Private Ryan... O_O
Jan 15, 2012 2:31 AM

Sep 2009
MaedhrostheTall said:
For some reason, seeing the guy with no lower body in this episode calling for his mom made me remember this. We've seen hundreds of ships just explode in this series. How many people have died?

Perhaps in the billions, I would think.

Beatnik said:
Most awkward mariage proposal in anime? .

I think that was the most awkward proposal I have sever seen in any medium.

AND THAT WAS THE CUTEST MOST AWKWARD PROPOSAL EVER.

"Man can not live on jokes alone."
A hugely comedic scene between our two beloved pilots....and then messy gore.
Oh my.
May 1, 2012 12:11 PM

Feb 2012
It's okay Julian, you've got a really cute loli waiting for you in ten years.

Yang is being quite the defeatist, and it clearly factored into his decision to propose when he did. I just hope this isn't a death flag for Frederica (because Yang definitely isn't going anywhere).

And on the other side, Reinhard seems jittery and nervous -- he was able to resign himself to the fact that this battle was the only way to draw Yang out of his guerilla tactics, but he still seems frightened by Yang himself on the battlefield.
Jun 6, 2012 11:49 PM

Jun 2009
Excellent episode. The violence towards the end of the episode, along with the narration was probably some of the most haunting stuff I've seen in an anime. Yang's always shown that he is uncomfortable with the fact that he literally has to command people to die for him, the narration just served to put into context how that effects his relationship with Frederica, since Yang isn't the type to talk about love with other people (as his proposal very painfully showed) I guess narration was the most effective way to illustrate that. I thought it was well handled.

Likewise for Reinhard, I personally find it admirable that, unlike so many other leaders, he actually has the balls to lead his people into battle. As a soldier, I can say for a fact he and Yang are exactly the kind of person I wouldn't mind to follow in battle. Well, part of this for Reinhard is that fighting is the one thing he really enjoys.

Other scenes of note is the scene with our lovable pilots, Julian and Cazelnu, and Yang and Schenkopp. I love the dialogues between the latter two characters, Schenkopp just continues to prove that he is so much more than your regular muscle bound fighter.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 12, 2012 3:15 PM

Oct 2011
DEATH FLAG
DEATH FLAG EVERYWHERE
Jan 5, 2013 12:23 PM

Feb 2009
Man, now i know they r about to mess up yang's life
luck rarely favors the guy who just proposed in anime =|
Jun 16, 2013 11:56 AM
Nov 2011
To be honest, this episode was the first one to really touch me emotionally. Up untill now, us watchers have been presented with raw statistics of the outcomes of each manuever, at best illustrated through nicely animated exposions, very similar to the ones you find in most war romantic anime from the eighties.
In this episode, the show proved it's awareness of the actual casualties, and in a really intense fashion at that. First, they show Yang yelling to open fire, followed by a view of the tactical map, where an awful lot of the blue disappears at a very rapid progression. We know that the blue represents thousands of ships, carrying millions of people, but the following scenes of horrifying graphic violence is required for us to be rid of our distance to the actual battle. The graphic scenes show us what has actually been happening behind every fancy exposion we have seen in the show so far.
It should also be mentioned, that violence of this magnitude was quite rare at the time of the show's initial release. Blood and dismemberment have been relatively common in anime since the very seventies, but in this episode we were shown quite extreme modification of bodies, such as one man having his eyes pop as his face melts, or the two men by the door being horribly burnt and dismembered at their deaths.
The picture of Turniht lying amidst the chaos and destruction was a nice detail, as his decicions are certain to have contributed to it, while he himself is certainly not present to witness it.
Aug 1, 2013 10:28 PM

Jun 2013
ugh...I see guts LOL
Sep 19, 2013 8:47 AM

Nov 2009
Well shit. He just lost a ton of fleets, but why in the hell did that general think charging in front of the front lines would be a good idea? It made it so that the other ships couldn't fire (or else they might have hit his fleet) and the much larger enemy fleet could just pick them off, easily.

Anyways gory episode.

Also could see the Greenhill and Yang match coming from a mile away, but though Julian would be more upset about it. And why did Lohengram, knowing his largest weakness is no heir, never ... Well ... Have an heir? I mean he should have appointed someone else as next in command at the very least. If he made that public, the Alliance probably would have surrendered. Although he might get assassinated by the 2nd in command later down the road I guess.
Sep 30, 2013 5:56 PM

Jul 2011
Ehhh. I prefer JulianxGreenhill. But that was a really awkward and cute proposal. Loved it. XD

lolzteez said:
DEATH FLAG
DEATH FLAG EVERYWHERE

Yup. Greenhill better not die though. Not after Jessica. I'd just feel so bad for Yang. :/

Imagine all this happening on every ship that got destroyed in the past 50 episodes...
MirorinSep 30, 2013 6:07 PM
Feb 18, 2014 11:55 AM

Mar 2013
wow the first epiosde where they showed how the people die inside the ship. at least the try to express the dramatic part about war ONCE, well only for 10 seconds in 50 episode!
Feb 18, 2014 11:19 PM

Oct 2010
Lockensocke said:
wow the first epiosde where they showed how the people die inside the ship. at least the try to express the dramatic part about war ONCE, well only for 10 seconds in 50 episode!

You serious? A LARGE part of the series is about the human toll of war, they constantly show the casualty's. I don't think you've been paying very close attention...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.