Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 16, 2017 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a crafty lure. Never underestimate a woman who can strike you down any time when given the chance.

Episode was alright. I'm surprisingly impressed by the culture in this series considering its historical setting. The violence was evident as usual, nothing less than impressive in that.
Jan 16, 2017 9:19 PM

Sep 2013
I feel this episode was terribly written. Bad dialogues and too predictable. Worse than last one, but similar modus operandi. Not good at all so far.
Jan 16, 2017 10:53 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Damn this episode was so bitter sweet....I felt bad for Afusa, Heizou and his friend :(
Jan 16, 2017 11:30 PM

Feb 2015
Unfortunate of Ofusa to be caught between the siblings' dispute over inheritance though her late husband's younger brother could've married her instead of kicking her out. Not surprised things ended this way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2017 1:21 AM

Mar 2009
Wasn't as good as the first episode, honestly.

Felt bad for Heizou's friend, though. Poor dude.
Jan 17, 2017 4:07 AM

Dec 2015
I liked the first episode better.

The emotional impact of this episode was also lacking, considering how the themes of friendship and love and the general conflict between hopeful youth and disillusioned adulthood were highlighted~

Although the OST doesn't sound like any new or special, I still enjoyed listening to it a lot-

Also was that Megumi Hayashibara as Ofusa? I can't acess the ANN servers right now

Edit: It was her
JacksnappJan 17, 2017 4:22 AM
Jan 17, 2017 6:00 AM

Jun 2014
Meh, I wasn't really feeling anything with this episode. It's still early though so there's still time for improvement.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 17, 2017 7:17 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Was alright, but weaker than the first episode.
Jan 17, 2017 7:27 AM

Jan 2015
It's so hard to tell apart the characters, since the way they were drawn doesn't give them any special features, like hair and stuff. It's a plus in a way looks more realistic, but not when all of the characters look really similar.
Jan 17, 2017 7:39 AM

Oct 2015
Hirugiku said:
It's so hard to tell apart the characters, since the way they were drawn doesn't give them any special features, like hair and stuff. It's a plus in a way looks more realistic, but not when all of the characters look really similar.
joker game's characters are harder to distinguish than this though, I guess all we could do is bear with it.
Jan 17, 2017 7:46 AM

Apr 2014
Certainly not as good as the first episode, but I still enjoyed watching. The final dialogue makes me think something is coming...

Also, that classical japanese jazz ending song is pretty good!
Jan 17, 2017 9:22 AM

Jun 2015
The first episode was better imo. This was still a good episode though. It's pretty sad how Ofusa's life turned out after her husband died. The abuse from her late husband's brother was too much for her.
Jan 17, 2017 11:25 AM

Dec 2014
women are scary...who says they are weak....
Jan 17, 2017 12:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Jacksnapp said:
I liked the first episode better.

The emotional impact of this episode was also lacking, considering how the themes of friendship and love and the general conflict between hopeful youth and disillusioned adulthood were highlighted~

Although the OST doesn't sound like any new or special, I still enjoyed listening to it a lot-

Also was that Megumi Hayashibara as Ofusa? I can't acess the ANN servers right now

Edit: It was her

Yeah, her jaded and tired woman voice is hard to miss. No one does it better.

I actually liked this episode more than most. While I think we will get a villain of the week format, there will be bits an pieces of background here and there that will hopefully lead to some overarching narrative.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 17, 2017 12:34 PM

Jul 2011
EGOIST said:
Hirugiku said:
joker game's characters are harder to distinguish than this though, I guess all we could do is bear with it.

This lol. Had to look up characters for Joker Game all the time, but at least in Onihei the main character has wavy hair.
Jan 17, 2017 12:40 PM

Dec 2015
Hirugiku said:

I found the two women in this episode really hard to distinguish.

At first during the flashback I thought that young Ofusa was Hasegawa's wife... Therefore I assumed the reason for why those two best friends hadn't seen each other in 15 years must've been that Hasegawa ermeged as the winner of their love rivalry
Jan 17, 2017 12:42 PM

Jan 2015
Jacksnapp said:
Hirugiku said:

At first during the flashback I thought that young Ofusa was Hasegawa's wife... Therefore I assumed the reason for why those two best friends hadn't seen each other in 15 years must've been that Hasegawa ermeged as the winner of their love rivalry

Good to know I'm not the only one :P
Jan 17, 2017 1:15 PM

May 2015
Quite the tragic episode, damn.

Jan 17, 2017 2:06 PM

May 2014
"We only have ourselves in the present", eh?
Cutting, but pretty darn true.

I liked this episode more so than the last,- probably bc of the themes...I thought the Sakura metaphor was neat and how it showed that Samanosuke was living for a time (and a woman) that was long gone. Also loving the music and scenery in particular.

Now I feel kinda stupid for thinking the guy from last episode was actually gonna be the MC...seems like this one is pretty episodic so episodes will either be a hit or a miss.

It's a shame that this has slipped under the radar so much; I think it's actually one of the better ones from this season, along with Kuzu no Honkai but ah well, what can ya do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2017 4:43 PM
Jul 2012
Strawberrycake48 said:

I liked this episode more so than the last,- probably bc of the themes...I thought the Sakura metaphor was neat and how it showed that Samanosuke was living for a time (and a woman) that was long gone. Also loving the music and scenery in particular.

Now I feel kinda stupid for thinking the guy from last episode was actually gonna be the MC...seems like this one is pretty episodic so episodes will either be a hit or a miss.

It's a shame that this has slipped under the radar so much; I think it's actually one of the better ones from this season, along with Kuzu no Honkai but ah well, what can ya do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with what you wrote about being under the radar. It's a shame people will not give serious period pieces a chance, like so many ecchi seem to receive (seemingly just for being ecchi...).

Question @Strawberrycake48: As someone only picking up four new shows this season, could you make a case for Kuzu no Honkai? ANNCast made it sound more interesting than the MAL description, but they did not speak favorably of Onihei, or the other shows I started (ACCA, Youjo Senki, and Chain Chronicle ).
Jan 17, 2017 5:24 PM

May 2015
Man, talk about people changing trough circumstances...MC friends was devastated by this ordeal.

This show reminded me when I was a kid watching the detective series Original Kojak... pretty good episode!
Jan 17, 2017 6:13 PM

Jan 2008
Well that was depressing as fuck.

But as always, Megumi Hayashibara is a goddess.
PanaruJan 17, 2017 6:23 PM
Jan 17, 2017 6:57 PM

May 2014
Saeba_D_Guyver said:
Strawberrycake48 said:

I agree with what you wrote about being under the radar. It's a shame people will not give serious period pieces a chance, like so many ecchi seem to receive (seemingly just for being ecchi...).

Question @Strawberrycake48: As someone only picking up four new shows this season, could you make a case for Kuzu no Honkai? ANNCast made it sound more interesting than the MAL description, but they did not speak favorably of Onihei, or the other shows I started (ACCA, Youjo Senki, and Chain Chronicle ).

I can try to make a case!
Spoiler tagged for you so it doesn't clog the thread~

Strawberrycake48Jan 17, 2017 7:05 PM
Jan 17, 2017 7:16 PM

Nov 2015
Episode 1 was better imo. I still don't fully recognize who is who.

Jan 17, 2017 9:44 PM

Oct 2011
Omg megumi yes
Whst a tragic past for her
Jan 17, 2017 10:22 PM

Jun 2013
Well... the soundtrack is great.
Jan 18, 2017 2:04 AM

Nov 2013
I got a feeling of Aoi Bungaku from this one. Though the visual is quite weak.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 18, 2017 2:39 AM

Mar 2014
this anime has the best VA casts. old stories are still interesting. i would like to learn more about Japan's samuraifolktales
ButtSlapperJan 18, 2017 2:47 AM
Jan 18, 2017 5:02 AM

Sep 2016
Jacksnapp said:
Hirugiku said:

I also thought this at first.
Jan 18, 2017 5:12 AM

Jun 2013
This isn't getting me as good as the first episode made me think. It was pretty bland overall. They're going for a sort of character of the week thing with the main police whatever dude. If they get some interesting characters in these weekly outings then maybe it could be better, better. But then again, they're only here for an episode so there's not much interest to be had for me. And they're also struggling visually. The first episode had a cool fight, but then we got this underwhelming episode. The backgrounds and the colors in general are pretty cool, but the animation is really struggling. Probably because the studio was born just yesterday. I'll give it another episode but I'm not expecting much after this outing.
Jan 18, 2017 9:39 AM

Aug 2014
Man his daughter's face is still creepy as shit. Always fun to watch a beautiful woman fall from grace. Nice to see some plain old period drama animated, even if there's nothing to take advantage of the medium.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 18, 2017 11:05 AM
Jul 2012
Strawberrycake48 said:
Saeba_D_Guyver said:

You have convinced me to give Kuzu no Honkai a chance, with credit to how you described the characters.

I think that interesting character dynamic will also play into Onihei. As seen in this episode and episode one, characters do not frantically defend their actions and foibles, rather they are quite blunt and unapologetic about their decisions. They are not crassly arrogant in their faults like so many ecchi heroes and rom-com characters. I find this kind of storytelling refreshing. Like Ofusa said, (to paraphrase):
I just really think a story told in this way can be a compelling standout in this era of storytelling...
Jan 18, 2017 1:40 PM

Dec 2010
I am disappointed more people aren't picking this up.

Honestly, not as good as the first episode but still enjoyable overall.
Deliveries go here pls <3
Candy Kingdom
(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Jan 19, 2017 12:14 AM

Dec 2014
I totally forgot this came out on Tuesdays.

Anyway, I thought this was a pretty good episode. Surprised a lot of people aren't liking it all that much.

Felt sad for Ofusa at the end, she was just a girl who caught up in family issue and ended up losing everything. Was really sad to see the circumstances change her from the pure maiden she was to who she is now. She never really asked for any of that. :(

The ending felt very poignant to me, in the entire ordeal no one really had any satisfaction. Ofusa is a completely changed character, The MC and his friend gave up on the woman they liked, MC's friend says that he doesn't really have anything in his life. Perhaps the only good thing that came out of the whole thing was that the MC and his friend rekindled their friendship.
Jan 19, 2017 4:23 AM

Dec 2015
The story and themes were good but it was executed in a lackluster way. Also, each story needs a bit more time, how many drama episodes did it took per scenario?
And 3DCGI streets are a bad idea (worse than room interiors): it makes the walking characters impressively flat.

4/5 Agreeably surprised by Hayashibara's guest-starring.

People expecting something more than an episodic costumed thieves show should revise their hopes: this will probably be nothing more than a "best-of" of the novels / drama stories.

PS: after reading a thread full of "I don't know her", it's refreshing to see the opposite here, people noticing her through her (adult) voice.
Rei_IIIJan 19, 2017 4:42 AM
Jan 19, 2017 8:34 AM

Apr 2010
I liked the previous one a lot more. Depends on the 3rd ep, I'll decide if to continue or not.

Jan 20, 2017 4:56 AM

Dec 2016
2nd eps was just ok. I like the time period and the overall feel of the show, but I'm not much of a fan of "case of the week" episodic nature this show has so far exhibited. I don't need there to be a big evil that needs to be overcome by the end of the cour, I'd just like to see some stories that take longer than 1 episode to build and develop.

Maybe they are foreshadowing something with the MC's son -- perhaps he will get mixed up some less than savory individuals and that will be a building theme.

Or maybe it can return to the side characters from the first eps and continue that story line... or maybe not..... hmmmm :(
Jan 20, 2017 4:56 PM

Sep 2012
Meh, much weaker than the first.
Jan 21, 2017 6:19 AM

Nov 2011
Perhaps it was less reflective and contemplative in the narrative, but I think it was intended to provide a basic message, rather than dwell with a fairly canonical history. Drawings and animations, average, but definitely better than those of Konosuba. Catchy and evocative, the soundtrack. I would say that as a pastime, though not gay in content, can fit this anime series.
Jan 22, 2017 7:02 AM

Dec 2012
This story was less interesting than the first one. I hope Kumehachi will be back to the next episode.
Jan 27, 2017 4:31 AM

Oct 2008
Such a serious themed show.
3/5.

Jan 28, 2017 2:59 PM

Feb 2013
Another "just ok" episode.
Almost romantic...
Almost dropped, but the tragic drama saved this for at least one more episode.
Jan 31, 2017 5:49 PM

Aug 2016
I start seeing patern here now.

Bad guys doing bad things, Hasegawa go, hire rat who infiltrate bad guys, tell where they'are hiding, shinsengumi come in and masacre everybody.

What a lovely shinsengumi police story collection.
Feb 6, 2017 10:45 AM
Feb 2017
Who know the name of background music started from 17:10 in Episode 2?THANKS.
Feb 18, 2017 10:40 AM

Jan 2014
Roy_Focker said:
Man, talk about people changing trough circumstances...MC friends was devastated by this ordeal.

It was pretty obvious from the beginning that his friend, also being the more mature one at the time, was more serious about it, even 15 years ago. MC made a mistake there, and should have allowed his friend a chance.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 18, 2017 2:22 PM

May 2015
@Laionidas

Yeah, that is why I said that he was devastated in the sense that he not only lose the chance to reunited with the person that he loved (he obviously did but she wasn’t the same person any more)… he must be second guessing himself in all of his decision and actions, heck I would even be surprise if the next time they saw each other (I’m assuming by mistake you are refereeing as MC interfering between the two as a teenagers not because he incarcerated her) as enemy by some kind of twisted mentality but I doubt it. He seems like he is going to pounder/meditate trough a journey (Rōnin) and maybe he is going to join MC to prevent others people from going through all the suffering he has had because of criminals, he would be a great addition to the Arson Theft Control squad.
Jun 12, 2017 11:01 PM

Mar 2015
Ooh I'm loving the drama in this one
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 5, 2017 9:58 AM
May 2016
Hirugiku said:
Jacksnapp said:

Good to know I'm not the only one :P

I had the same problem and thought just as you did, it was Hasegawa's wife.
Apr 24, 2019 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
So every episode, Hasegawa will catch wind of a criminal operation through a rat and then bust them and then their backstory and reason for why they did what they did will come to the fold. There also will be a different character added that had/has a relationship with Hasegawa to help support this.

Why the hell did the Hattoru guy not have a contingency plan or have any sense of precaution? He just told his whole fucking plan to some old guy? What?!

I feel the storytelling is kinda lazy. The show's not bad but it's not good either.

2.5/5

removed-userApr 24, 2019 2:51 PM
Oct 19, 2019 6:08 AM

Jul 2015
Some backstory on Hasegawa,sad to see Ofusa having straying off onto the bad path because her husband died, makes you wonder if she would have found happiness if she married with that friend instead

I must say for some shady business, that fat guy laid out his plan easily to an old guy who could have easily lied about his former occupation

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Onihei Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2017

49 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 3:28 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2017

95 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 2:29 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2017

54 by alpo42ab »»
Oct 21, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2017

29 by thepath »»
Jun 5, 2022 9:07 AM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2017

32 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Nov 1, 2021 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.