Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 3, 2017 10:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Poor Omasa, running away from he face of death but still fights back.

This was a thrilling finale and I'm not surprised that they kept the violence. Luckily, she got saved on time. Too bad this episode didn't go without tragedy D:

Apr 3, 2017 3:48 PM

Jun 2013
This show was very good. A nice seinen.
Apr 3, 2017 9:15 PM

Jun 2015
Omasa was right about Matataro. He was there to convince his brother to change his ways. But it didn't go well and he killed his brother. It was nice of Heizou to let him go. It's unfortunate he died from an epidemic. Omasa was devastated. This was a good series. I liked it.
Apr 3, 2017 10:55 PM

Dec 2014
Never did really feel like a finale but nonetheless it was a great episode.

I'm glad Omasa was right about Matataro, too bad Bonkichi couldn't listen to his reason. Nice of Heizou to let Matataro go, his death to the epidemic was unfortunate and Omasa crying in the rain was very poignant.

Overall, this was a great show, the episodic structure worked really well and every story that was told during these 13 episodes had a good amount of development and fitting conclusions be it happy or sad and portrayed a wealth of different themes, simply put the writing was great and really enjoyable and they brought out the historic setting quite well in my opinion. The characters were good, even the ones that appear for only an episode had a personality to them, Heizou in particular is a great character, righteous yet capable of showing compassion to a wrongdoer as he has proved on many occasions. The show started with an episode about Honor among Thieves and it ends with an episode about the very same thing. :)

8/10, It's highly unlikely we'll get an S2 but I'd love to see more stories.
Apr 4, 2017 12:19 AM

Nov 2015
It was a good show.

Apr 4, 2017 12:46 AM

Dec 2015
Personally my favorite part of the episode was at the end with Heizou comforting Omasa in the rain. The timing of the ending song with its lines about crying and the symbolic first tear being followed by rain pouring down on both was the best.

I would have loved for this series to have 13 more episodes...
Apr 4, 2017 2:57 AM
Jan 2014
Bonkichi had a peculiar voice. Anyone know who his VA was?
Apr 4, 2017 3:31 AM

Dec 2014
ItsXolo said:

If I'm not wrong it was Kazuki Yao, mostly recognized him since he does Franky from One Piece and Bonkichi's voice is very similar to Franky's.
Apr 4, 2017 3:43 AM
Aug 2012
ItsXolo said:

Kazuki Yao
He plays Iketani (Initia D), judau Ashta (Gundam ZZ), Franky (One Piece), and so on.
Apr 4, 2017 4:28 AM

Jan 2015
Wait is that it? MOAR MOAR give me more, please second season, this was such a remarkable anime all the from start till the end, thank god this anime did not disappoint me as many other from seasons did. During every episode i was super into the anime, like bam and 24 minutes are over.
Perhaps anime's strongest point is to make you love the character within one episode. Matatoro is a great character, i really started to love him, he is super honorable, RIP him T_T
This episode was quite bloody tho O_O and it all happened to the same guy, RIP nose and RIP arms.
The end with Heizo telling her that Matatoro died from disease was a really strong scene, considering it was Omasa who saved him by saying he is a merchant, if he was arrested there by Heizo, he could have left the jail in couple of years and still be alive, so that must really hurt her T_T
Apr 4, 2017 4:54 AM

Aug 2016
Every episode, it had such a nice story. Almost every story brought tears to my eyes. This anime was amazing! 9/10!
Nanika ga Okashii
Apr 4, 2017 6:11 AM

May 2016
Beautiful indeed. From the very beginning until ending. <3

Omasa, wag ka nang omasa diyan sa lalaking yan.
'Wag kang maniwala d'yan
'Di ka n'ya mahal talaga
Sayang lang ang buhay mo kung mapupunta ka lang sa kanya
Iiwanan ka lang n'yan, mag-ingat ka
Dagdag ka lamang sa milyun-milyong babae n'ya
Akin ka na lang (akin ka na lang)
Iingatan ko ang puso mo
Wala nang hihigit pa sa 'yo
Apr 4, 2017 8:26 AM
Sep 2015
These 13 episodes serve more as an introduction to the much greater story. To me, Onihei is very open mind at that time and thus I want more opinion from him in harder topic like abortion, third gender, copyright violation, racism, and so on.
In short, I want at least 100 more episodes, this demand to be a long run show like in the past.
Apr 4, 2017 8:29 AM

May 2015
Sad to see this highly underrated show go, really. I would honestly love another season. I liked most of the characters and Heizou was such a great character himself.

I'm going to miss it. Pretty much one of my top favorites of the winter season.

9/10.

Apr 4, 2017 9:12 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Reverberate said:
Sad to see this highly underrated show go, really. I would honestly love another season. I liked most of the characters and Heizou was such a great character himself.

9/10.
Basically this plus what my twin brother @Lelouch0202 said

Really nice Omasa centered episode and man I felt so bad for her there at the end....Matataro was a really great guy, may his soul RIP

I REALLY wish that we could get a S2 but the odds of that happening seem pretty low :( Either way, this was without a doubt the hidden gem of the season and I loved every bit of it

9/10
Apr 4, 2017 10:36 AM

Jun 2014
At first I wanted this to have an actual plot rather than being episodic, but the episodic nature of the show grew on me. I would have liked a happy ending, but not everything is fairy tales and roses. Nice finale, and overall a decent show. 6/10.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 4, 2017 10:49 AM
Jun 2016
Once again...Heizo Hasegawa struts his swordplay stuff...

Hands you see.....hands you don't.

Liked the fact that we get to see more of Omasa's background...because she was begining to be like a placeholder character....and SHE IS TOO MYSTERIOUS TO BE THAT KIND OF PERSON.

10/10.....for giving me a different kind of anime experience.

Honestly, the next time anyone tells me anime is kids' stuff.....I'll just show them Episode 1 of Onihei....and watch with pleasure as they keep quiet.
"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love, so if one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
Apr 4, 2017 11:20 AM

Oct 2012
Lelouch0202 said:
ItsXolo said:

If I'm not wrong it was Kazuki Yao, mostly recognized him since he does Franky from One Piece and Bonkichi's voice is very similar to Franky's.
Did he do Ranta from Grimgar? I feel like the voice sounds like it, not sure though. why don't I just go check myself you ask? I'm lazy
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Apr 4, 2017 11:58 AM

Dec 2014
gust11 said:
Lelouch0202 said:

Did he do Ranta from Grimgar? I feel like the voice sounds like it, not sure though. why don't I just go check myself you ask? I'm lazy

Being the nice guy xD No, he didn't voice Ranta. :P
Apr 4, 2017 12:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Reverberate said:

Pretty much this. Most underrated show this season. Let's keep our fingers crossed for an S2.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 4, 2017 1:13 PM

Jan 2016
Farabeuf said:
Reverberate said:

Pretty much this. Most underrated show this season. Let's keep our fingers crossed for an S2.

We have to hope that the bds will sell decently but i can see that happening.

Apr 4, 2017 1:58 PM

Jan 2015

Hehe... OK ka tsong.. swak na swak ang kantang ito!
TheOtaku_Luffy said:

'Wag kang maniwala d'yan
'Di ka n'ya mahal talaga
Iingatan ko ang puso mo
Apr 4, 2017 5:52 PM

Oct 2012
Lelouch0202 said:
gust11 said:

Being the nice guy xD No, he didn't voice Ranta. :P
I thank thee for the extra contribution *prays*
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Apr 4, 2017 7:08 PM

May 2015
This anime was so sad yet so beautiful. It embodied perfectly what Japanese fiction is often about, human warmth, emotions, well, basically what's make us love fictional characters, their humanity. This was one of the best this season, it will probably not have a second season though. (╥﹏╥)

This anime was in my opinion exceptional. I will trully miss this show.

shotz said:
still don't understand the lack of popularity.
This AF
Apr 4, 2017 8:37 PM

Aug 2014
Omasa's great, glad she got another episode, though it probably shouldn't have been the final. Someone sub the OVA please.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 4, 2017 10:41 PM

May 2016
Bontakun65 said:

Hehe... OK ka tsong.. swak na swak ang kantang ito!
TheOtaku_Luffy said:

'Wag kang maniwala d'yan
'Di ka n'ya mahal talaga
Iingatan ko ang puso mo

Hahaha. xD Salamat may nakakaintindi sa sinabi ko XD.
Apr 5, 2017 3:07 AM
Feb 2016
Poor Omasa seems she's fated to lose people whom she cares about :((

As a whole series I would love for Onihei to have a second season. Everything is almost perfect for me. The great characterization, seiyuu, and best of all the animation that didn't lose its quality since episode 1. The opening and ending animation deserves the love as well. And besides the series seems to not have given us the answer as to who paid the assassin to kill Onihei so maybe they could answer that in season 2(?) (´• ω •`) ♡
Apr 5, 2017 4:57 AM
May 2016
Can't believe that it's finished :'( I didn't feel the winter passing cuz I was enjoying that anime and I was waiting impatiently the episode to be aired <3 it was a great anime , I liked it so much and it's my favorite anime of this winter
Apr 5, 2017 8:12 AM
Mar 2015
One of the best but underrated show of this season. 9/10.
Apr 5, 2017 5:55 PM

Nov 2015
This show tends to be bittersweet at best, but it really sucks for Omasa that Matataro died back in Kyoto.

I really enjoyed this show, as others have said it's a shame that it's not more popular because I'd love a second season.
Apr 5, 2017 9:31 PM

Mar 2009
The ending came out of nowhere. "He died from an epidemic." What?

Mixed feelings towards this anime in general.
Apr 6, 2017 2:25 AM

Dec 2015
A personal intrigue about one of the regular characters? Nice way to close the story. Especially since it reflects the first episode.

4/5

Good period cops procedural using a shared theme to tie independent cases together. Well rendered atmosphere.Constant 3DCGI walkers and several bad drawings make it less pretty than it could be.

Score: 7/10

=======

@justlarry33 When they announced the episodes before the first airing, it was easy to guess the anime was going to be a "best of" featuring chosen intrigues among the loads of short stories available in the novels.
Rei_IIIApr 21, 2017 6:50 AM
Apr 7, 2017 1:00 PM

Dec 2008
Thoroughly enjoyed! I would love to see another 13 episodes.
If these episodes were based on true events in and around Heizo Hasegawa's life, he was a serious beast...kind...but a beast, nonetheless.
8/10
Apr 7, 2017 8:20 PM

Oct 2008
Another damn great episode!
we got more history of the life of Omasa.
Such a shame Matataro died because of an epidemic on Kyoto.
5/5.
8/10. - this is such an underrated show!

Apr 20, 2017 3:58 PM
Apr 2017
I didn't expext onihei to be a 14 episode thing the manga has been there since 1993😑
Apr 21, 2017 6:20 AM

Dec 2007
Really enjoyed this anime. Every episode left me with some kind of over the top reaction! The ending definitely left me wanting more.
Apr 23, 2017 2:35 AM

Dec 2012
Don't feel like a finale, I hope we will have another season of little stories. All the stories were very good and sad for most of them. The edo period is one of my favorite so I inevitably liked the ambiance.

Regarding the characters, Hasegawa is a good MC, but I would have liked that the other characters had more screen time. Good Seinen
May 1, 2017 6:41 AM

Nov 2011
Pulling the sums is not that I expect a lot from this series. The final is not bad as well as the whole episode. I have adored some aspects and I hope there is a sequel. I hope the animation studio you worked on can stage another project, but improve quality.

7/10
May 2, 2017 2:05 PM

Jan 2010
Really enjoyed this show. Characters were great, stories and overall atmosphere too. It's good to see more down to earth and mature show in 2017. Music was ok, as well as animation. Sometimes it looked like characters lacked some detail, but environment was great. Overall it was well developed, refreshing show. 8/10
May 11, 2017 2:59 PM

Jan 2013
Great series! 7/10
Can't believe how underrated this series is. The plot, soundtrack, characters, visuals and verything are actually absolutely fantastic. Way to go. Fingers crossed for season 2.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 11, 2017 3:03 PM

Jan 2013
ItsXolo said:
Bonkichi had a peculiar voice.

I know right? I fell in love with his voice. Sounds like heaven lmao.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 15, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2008
I didn't expect this anime at first, really a good one. Usually Noitamina anime gave me surprise but this anime even beat noitamina anime this season.

Does anyone have information about what is the OVA about? I hope it's a story about Ojun's past.
May 18, 2017 10:26 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
This needs a second season!!

Felt sad about Omasa. =( Seems like nothing in the past goes well for her.
May 24, 2017 7:12 PM

Jan 2014
Worst show ever I hardly finished it.
Jun 14, 2017 4:43 AM

Mar 2015
Aww poor Omasa her love has left her in such a lurch

9/10, second season please!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 19, 2017 8:50 AM

Aug 2014
This episode didn't feel like a finale, but I stil think it was a good episode.
For a new studio, I think they did a decent job with this series. I love the way they animated the action scenes in some episodes, I think it was very creative. Still need a lot of improvement on the animation, though.
Jul 25, 2017 4:58 PM

Jul 2017
A great final episode, it suits the series well - there was no overarching plot, so I didn't expect a special finale or anything.

It was a nice show overall, nothing outstanding, but stays true to its style. I wish I could watch the OVA too, I heard it tells us more about Heizou's past.
Nov 26, 2017 2:50 PM

Oct 2015
I'll miss this anime, because usually these kind of anime are my favorite. This one never disappointed, the series of stories about heizou were really good to watch. Others were sad like those from ep 7, ep 3 and this one, others were funny like those from ep 5 and 6 but others ep were alright. The animation was not up to standard but the plots made the show tolerable.

7/10.
lihle808Jun 1, 2022 9:16 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 29, 2017 6:04 PM

Aug 2016
Pretty great show, though this wasn't the greatest episodes in my opinion.
Though Bonkichi had a pretty noice voice.
Dec 19, 2018 7:47 PM

Jun 2014
"This is the best samurai anime Ive ever seen" doesnt quite fully explain my opinion of Onihei. The fact of the matter is: Onihei is literally the ONLY good samurai anime Ive ever seen. All other samurai anime are either (a) poorly made, (b) boring to watch most of the way through, (c) or have one-off gimmicks and the show is hardly about the samurai aspect or swordplay.

Everything about it is good. Some of the best and smoothest sword fighting choreography Ive seen in anime. And there's a lot of exciting camera movement; and when the camera moves the background, all the layers from the foreground to midground all move accordingly. Crowds of people in the streets are not just frozen still, but are all moving naturally in different directions, and unsynchronized. All the 3D animation is smooth, and naturally blends with everything else. The setting is one of the most detailed and realistic representations of Edo Japan Ive seen. The story is episodic, but the events that happen are at least believable. This isnt some generic samurai soap drama, like "my family is at war with your family because your great-great-grand-daddy pissed in my great-great-grand-daddy's rice bowl" -- or the two other two stereotypes samurai stories typically fall under. No, Onihei is actually enjoyable to watch; which is refreshing, when lately, most samurai anime have become dull and stale.
m-i-c-h-a-e-lDec 19, 2018 7:53 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Onihei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2017

33 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 3:11 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2017

96 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2017

49 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 3:28 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2017

52 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 2:58 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2017

29 by thepath »»
Jun 5, 2022 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.