Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2017 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the action show. It made it realistic for a setting of this period.

Heizou Hasegawa is also such a badass. Any assassins trying to go after him should really reconsider.
Jan 23, 2017 9:32 PM

Dec 2014
Really good episode.

"It's an ironic thing, A man who was bound by the past was about to let go and live in the present, only to be killed by the past"
Summed up this episode really beautifully.

I was really hoping that Kaneko would live at the end.
Osaki was still waiting at the bridge. :((
Jan 23, 2017 9:57 PM

Dec 2010
I am really enjoying this. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.

Look forward to the next episode.
Deliveries go here pls <3
Candy Kingdom
(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Jan 23, 2017 10:31 PM

Dec 2016
Damn what a miserable ending Haneko's father's killer ended up killing him like a coward. What makes me more mad is Onihei could have stopped the finishing blow. I was hoping Haneko was gonna escape with the young girl or at least Heizo arrested for murder.
Brahmastra_Jan 23, 2017 10:37 PM
Jan 24, 2017 12:36 AM

Dec 2015
Overall a really good episode!

I didn't see that plottwist with the old man from the Inn coming and I felt quite sad seeing the servant woman standing on the bridge, awaiting the assassin's return.

Apart from the fate of the assassin, that woman's life was in a way also quite ironic and tragic. In order to live in the present while dreaming of a future with her, he murdered the landlords as a way of setting the woman free. Yet by the end of the episode, she is unknowingly robbed of that shared future with him and has no place to stay (present and most likely in the future). So by trying to be free and have a better future compared to her current place in life, she cut ties with the past and therefore has no future.

I thought it was interesting that both the servant woman and the assassin were told by their superiors that they'd be replacable .
Jan 24, 2017 12:37 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Really good episode.

"It's an ironic thing, A man who was bound by the past was about to let go and live in the present, only to be killed by the past"
Summed up this episode really beautifully.

I was really hoping that Kaneko would live at the end.
Osaki was still waiting at the bridge. :((
My thoughts exactly.....The action in this episode was great too

If anything, I'm really glad that I got to see my boy Kumehachi again :)
Jan 24, 2017 3:49 AM

Apr 2016
Kaneko : "Osaki, I've killed dozens of people but what for? Until now I had the feeling I lived in this world like a ghost, the ghost of that child whose freedom to chose his path was stolen by moral codes after a fight between two drunk men twenty years ago.
Though, since that day you took care of me, a door has been opened, I realized I'm not bound to be that child forever. With you by my side, I see something clear like the sky on a sunny day, something real, something good. Will you come with me? I can sell these katanas of the past and buy a piece of land to live a future ... with you. Will you take my hand?

Osaki took Kaneko's hand and said : "Hai. Ureshii desu"

They sold the katanas, left the town, went far far away and lived happily ever after.

That's a groundbreaking romance plot right there : a murderer with happy end.

Of course, it did NOT happen. Forget the redemption's route. The moral shall be preserved. I'm sad. I wanted to believe.
Jan 24, 2017 3:58 AM
Jul 2014
Very good episode. This one had the feels. I felt really bad for Osaki. People reading this and wondering if they should watch it, definitely give it a try. The score 6.99 does not do this show any justice.
Jan 24, 2017 6:16 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, i feel bad for Osaki and Kaneko.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 24, 2017 6:51 AM

Dec 2015
Good episode. Better than expected. I thought those "police samurai" stuff would get boring - I usually prefer other settings for samurai anime (action like Sengoku Basara or serious stuff with politics involed ... set in Sengoku era or Bakumatsu).

The episodes were interesting so far - with interesting background stories + realistic looking action. Scoring it 8/10 for now and looking forward to the next episodes.
Jan 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Apr 2014
It was a good episode. I'm liking the fact that doesn't seem to be a strong plot that continues from episode to episode, seems like each episode has it's own short story, although we still see characters from other stories.

I'm really enjoying this anime.
Jan 24, 2017 9:01 AM

May 2014
Favourite ep so far!
I can't believe I ended up sympathizing with that assassin- I really wanted him and Osaki to run away together. Got me right in the feels when he was trying to escape and started imagining what their life together could've been like...

Also what a big slap in the face to have the guy that killed your father literally stab you in the back and kill you as well. Damn. -_-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2017 10:59 AM

Feb 2015
Give me the happy ending I wanted, dammit.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 24, 2017 11:18 AM

Apr 2010
The idea was nice. but the endning was sad. :( I'll give anither try as I don't love sad stories.

Jan 24, 2017 12:23 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Stabbed in the back by the guy who killed who killed your father as you were running away to meet the woman you love.

That's one horrible way to go if you ask me.

MAL might not like it, but I'm enjoying this series. It's filling a niche that's sorely missing in todays anime world.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 24, 2017 1:54 PM
Aug 2012
Kaneko and Yotaro (Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu) are same VA.
Tomokazu Seki has amazing skill.
Jan 24, 2017 3:37 PM
Mar 2015
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Kaneko : "Osaki, I've killed dozens of people but what for? Until now I had the feeling I lived in this world like a ghost, the ghost of that child whose freedom to chose his path was stolen by moral codes after a fight between two drunk men twenty years ago.
Though, since that day you took care of me, a door has been opened, I realized I'm not bound to be that child forever. With you by my side, I see something clear like the sky on a sunny day, something real, something good. Will you come with me? I can sell these katanas of the past and buy a piece of land to live a future ... with you. Will you take my hand?

Osaki took Kaneko's hand and said : "Hai. Ureshii desu"

They sold the katanas, left the town, went far far away and lived happily ever after.

That's a groundbreaking romance plot right there : a murderer with happy end.

Of course, it did NOT happen. Forget the redemption's route. The moral shall be preserved. I'm sad. I wanted to believe.

Really well wrote, until the end I was thinking that it was a quote of the LN.
The final could be like that...
Jan 24, 2017 4:03 PM

May 2015
What a sad way to die... Ugh, sad endings like these are so painful.

Jan 24, 2017 4:54 PM

May 2016
I know real life doesn't always have happy endings, but sometimes it is nice to have one.
So far all the episodes had a bittersweet ending with each one getting progresively sadder.
Ep 1: Kumehachi got his redemption, but (maybe) Tanbei turn out to become a horrible person.
Ep 2: Miyokichi Ofusa doesn't get a happy reunion and she goes to jail. At least Samonosuke is now bros again with Heizou.
Ep 3: Now Kaneko dies by his dad's killer just after he found meaning in his life and Osaki will be waiting forever ... On the bright side, Heizou is okay.
Jan 24, 2017 6:14 PM

Apr 2016
i love this show and this episode many layers to it
Jan 24, 2017 6:14 PM

Oct 2011
what a sad ending for him
Jan 24, 2017 6:48 PM

Nov 2013
This show has been above average for sure. Why it's currently rated a 7 on MAL is a joke. Well hopefully it does well the rest of the season and I'll certainly grade it well. This episode was excellent, really enjoyed it.
Jan 24, 2017 7:56 PM

Jun 2014
Was really hoping Kaneko would get a happy ending but that can't always be the case. This was definitely the best episode so far, hopefully the rest is just as good as this one, if not better.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 24, 2017 8:10 PM

Jun 2013
This show clearly has a Bebop influence with the jazzy music and a Champloo influence with the setting/style And so far it's been episodic, like those two, but it's managing to keep from slipping into rip-off territory. I'm still having trouble getting a feel for the overall identity of this series, however, and what the story is trying to accomplish, if anything.

Good episode though.
Jan 24, 2017 10:20 PM

Mar 2009
What a shit end for Kaneko. Killed by your father's killer. Poor dude.

And it's almost like we were supposed to sympathize with that guy, judging by the bridge scene with his wife? Why did he get a happy ending? Bastard.
Jan 25, 2017 5:05 AM

Oct 2015
I really liked what Hasegawa said after the man got killed, liking the show so far as a whole.

5/5
Jan 25, 2017 8:13 AM

Jun 2015
Getting stabbed in the back by someone you were looking for is terrible.
Jan 25, 2017 9:41 AM

May 2015
I like how this show have the graciousness to give backstories to the villains within the confine of 20 + minutes without deviating from the story (taking more than necessary) even if you don’t agree with their decision you understand where they come from… and the crime solving aspect of the show it is always fun to watch how our MC is going to solve the problem in front of him. It is like I’m watching a good 70’s & 80’s detective show.
Roy_FockerJan 25, 2017 9:48 AM
Jan 26, 2017 1:25 AM
Oct 2007
No happy ending :(
Jan 26, 2017 7:54 AM

Nov 2013
So it's episodic series huh...

The episode was nice, I`m still hardly remember character`s name though.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 26, 2017 3:54 PM

Sep 2013
Kinda cliche and predictable, but nonetheless the best episode so far. Definitely. Episode 1 was okay, but had the torture part which I found ironic and weird, and episode 2 was just bad. It may get better if they develop some kind of plot at least a main story (like "who is trying to kill chief and why?" kind of thing).
Jan 26, 2017 5:25 PM

Jun 2012
Can anyone tell me, why wasn't the guy who killed his father not arrested in the end? Did Onihei turn his eyes the other way or at that time the law was different regarding that matter, was it self-defense maybe?
SnaitaJan 26, 2017 6:55 PM
Jan 26, 2017 8:46 PM

Mar 2014
Best and saddest episode out of all 3 episodes
Jan 27, 2017 2:53 AM

Nov 2011
I'm glad the 1st ep POV character is back unlike Joker Game. I was hoping the assassin will be recruited as a spy for who is giving out the order. I think Hasegawa was thinking the same but damn Mori ruined it.
LOL I can't blame him for not knowing Mori's face. Mori looked like the other extras.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jan 29, 2017 6:05 AM

Nov 2011
This episode, for now, is the best. Satisfactory narrative, there was the element that so wished, or fighting with swords, however, it is not missed even a few flashes of humor, making it less sad narration. The drawings were more than enough as quality; sin for animations and CG, not the best.

SchwingBoner said:
Give me the happy ending I wanted, dammit.

This was the most touching scene of the entire episode, how much sadness I felt for the death of this man.
Jan 30, 2017 12:37 AM

Dec 2015
Interesting, the series manages to have a cohesive theme (at least for now) while being based on a crime novels series. I wonder if either the novels or the drama were like that.

4/5

@-Trippwire- The episodic aspect can't be part of the "copy" when it's simply using the original's nature.

@Roy_Focker Not a surprise since it is a 70s (60s too? I forgot) one.
Jan 30, 2017 9:11 AM

May 2015
@Rei366

1967, I dint knew that... so that is why the lore felt similar to those cops shows from that era... "The More You Know" Thanks buddy! ^_^
Jan 30, 2017 11:23 AM

Jun 2013
Rei366 said:
@-Trippwire- The episodic aspect can't be part of the "copy" when it's simply using the original's nature.

I didn't know that. Is that the format of novel or the manga (or both)?
Feb 2, 2017 2:04 AM

Oct 2008
Heizou is really one great swordsman/katanaman/samurai!
This is really a great line: "A man who was bound to the past was about to let go and live in the present only to be killed by the past."
5/5.

Feb 5, 2017 2:13 PM

Dec 2012
It was nice to see Kumehachi again.
The action feels so real, it was a very very good episode. Heizou is really strong, even without seeing behind him, he reacted so fast.
Sad ending, but Kaneko was a murderer :/
Feb 22, 2017 10:26 AM

Apr 2014
Depressing ending. :'-(
Apr 18, 2017 7:04 AM

Jan 2013
Damn I started to like him...

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 9, 2017 4:58 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
=( Wonder what happened to the girl afterwards...
Jun 13, 2017 12:15 AM

Mar 2015
Aww that was harsh, right when he was starting to seem like he had a chance to change, he bites the dust.

Poor girl!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 3, 2017 12:03 PM

Jan 2017
The action scenes are awesome, simply fantastic. I believe that Heizo's son has now a properly purpose to improve his swordsmanship skills, just to avenge his father, not to protect him while he is still alive lol
Karasuno Fight!!!
Apr 25, 2019 6:14 PM
Jul 2018
Nice episode. Better than the last. The show admittedly doesn't reach for much and definitely could be repetitive but it is enjoyable and intriguing.

It'd be nice if an overarching plot was developed with emphasis on the people who want Heizou dead. I'm glad this is my first samurai anime.

3.5/5
Oct 19, 2019 11:13 AM

Jul 2015
Woah that old man being the killer came out of nowhere, didn't expect that to happen

Kaneko pretty much led a sad life, only happy moment was Osaki giving him a warm meal...

Looks like there is someone out there trying to kill Heizo, and he is pretty rich

Oct 19, 2019 4:02 PM

Mar 2018
I guess there won't be any happy endings in this show. This was so depressing.
Apr 24, 2021 10:12 PM
Dec 2019
I feel like I just watched the movie Heat. Long term criminals getting a conscience through a loved one only to meet their demise shortly after is just something writers love. And I don't think it's writers copying each other either. I'm sure they all came up with this trope individually owing to its natural dynamicism--- a story needs the right mix of love and tragedy and the characters need the right mix of good and bad.

So far the series is shaping out to be more like Mushishi in that there are bittersweet episodic stories featuring people in a society/environment. Unlike Mushishi, this does not get the benefit of having a novel atmosphere, though it does have beautifully rendered backgrounds. This means that it will require a stronger overarching plot, stronger main character presence, or a novel style to add spice to the episodic stories.
Feb 14, 2023 3:28 PM
Oct 2019
this series is a 6/10. every episode is a 6/10 so far. no highs. no lows. just a steady 6/10 every time

i'm not sure i want to keep watching. a 6/10 with some decent "ups" can be pretty watchable. but something that just feels monotone the whole time is less easy to enjoy. i'm also not the biggest fan of episodic shows

but can someone explain to me why onihei let that old dude kill him? can someone explain to me why onihei let that old man skip town? he admitted he killed the guy's father and then he killed the son right in front of onihei in cold blood. doesn't make any sense at all

More topics from this board

Poll: » Onihei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2017

33 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 3:11 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2017

96 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 8, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2017

52 by HagePotPotato »»
Feb 14, 2023 2:58 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2017

54 by alpo42ab »»
Oct 21, 2022 6:10 PM

Poll: » Onihei Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2017

29 by thepath »»
Jun 5, 2022 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.