Forum Settings
Forums

Madhouse Produces 'No Guns Life' TV Anime Adaptation [Update 3/23]

New
Mar 18, 2019 8:54 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
This year's April issue of Shueisha's Ultra Jump announced on Tuesday that Tasuku Karasuma's No Guns Life manga is being adapted into a TV anime. The anime series will be produced by animation studio Madhouse.

Synopsis
Ex-soldier Juuzou Inui has one question—who turned him into a cyborg and erased his memories?

After the war, cyborg soldiers known as the Extended were discharged. Juzo Inui is one of them, a man whose body was transformed, his head replaced with a giant gun! With no memory of his previous life—or who replaced his head and why—Inui now scratches out a living in the dark streets of the city as a Resolver, taking on cases involving the Extended.

When a fellow Extended showed up in Inui's office—on the run from the Security Bureau with a kidnapped child in tow and asking for help—Inui should have just thrown the guy out. But Inui's loyalty to a brother Extended makes him take the job. Keeping the child safe won't be easy, since everyone seems to want to grab him, from street punks to the megacorporation Berühren, who have sent out a special agent that knows exactly how to deal with the Extended... (Source: VIZ Media)

Staff
Director: Naoyuki Itou (Overlord)
Series Composition: Yukie Sugawara (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei script)
Character Design: Masanori Shino (Gungrave)
Music: Kenji Kawai (Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider)

Karasuma initially launched the sci-fi action manga as a one-shot in August 2013 issue of the magazine, which was published again in the April and May 2014 issues. Ultra Jump began serializing the manga from its October 2014 issue. Shueisha published the eighth volume on Tuesday.

VIZ Media licensed the manga in English last month and plans to ship the first volume this September.

Official website: http://nogunslife.com/

Source: Comic Natalie

Update March 23
The Hakuhodo DY Music and Pictures booth at the AnimeJapan 2019 event revealed a teaser preview for the anime series on Saturday.

Source: Ultra Jump

No Guns Life on MAL
VindstotMar 24, 2019 3:23 PM

Mar 18, 2019 8:59 AM
May 2016
Not surprised it’s done by madhouse
Mar 18, 2019 9:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Oh, nice Madhouse shows are always welcome!
I hope this doesn’t lead to another delay for Chihayafuru 3 though.

Synopsis sounds rather unique too, will keep an eye on this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 18, 2019 9:07 AM
Nov 2018
when i saw madhouse , tv anime and NO Life in one sentence.... my heart literally stopped...
Mar 18, 2019 9:07 AM
Jan 2019
HYPER 🎆🎆🎆
Mar 18, 2019 9:09 AM

Jul 2015
a head gun mc

well ... it's a creative idea x)
Mar 18, 2019 9:10 AM

Nov 2007
Feel like I am being Click Baited. Still no NGNL.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Mar 18, 2019 9:18 AM

Jul 2017
A new project by Madhouse? I'm in for sure!
Mar 18, 2019 9:30 AM
Jul 2017
For a split second I thought it was no game no life haha. Well I’m looking forward to this though. A gun for a head? Kinda reminds me of dorohedoro which is also getting an anime.
Mar 18, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2018
Oh shit I'm hyped for this, I've had the manga on my radar for about 2 years. Madhouse as well! This will be good.
Mar 18, 2019 9:54 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Considering that it's the Overlord staff, I can't say I'm too excited as it may not be the most polished production. But damn, that premise is too ridiculous to skip on :P
Mar 18, 2019 10:08 AM

Apr 2018
Still no ngnl s2 anw it looks interesting
Mar 18, 2019 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
The cover shot sure looks badass! but will the actual animation will leave upto expectation? The premise sounds cool (overall giving me dorohedoro's vibes with that memory loss clinch) and manga's currently at 8 volume so far.
Mar 18, 2019 10:31 AM

Jun 2015
Madhouse more like Mehouse, I read a bit of this manga but never caught up, may or may not watch the anime cuz you know...TV anime Madhouse
Mar 18, 2019 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
Sounds interesting enough even if I don't know anything about it, I'll definitely check this one out.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 18, 2019 10:57 AM

Feb 2011
_MushiRock11_ said:

The staff working for this is mainly the one that worked on Overlord, so if anything a potential Overlord 4 could be delayed because of this project.
With that being said, i did not like the quality of Overlord, and I hope it doesn't carry over into this project because this definitely looks like a side project for Madhouse.
I'll check the first few eps I guess.
Mar 18, 2019 11:00 AM

Jan 2017
Madhouse always comes with it but I'm a little iffy going into this one. We will see though
Mar 18, 2019 11:03 AM

Jun 2015
Madhouse anime is always welcome.
Read Toriko!
Mar 18, 2019 11:05 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Hatsuyuki said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

The staff working for this is mainly the one that worked on Overlord, so if anything a potential Overlord 4 could be delayed because of this project.
With that being said, i did not like the quality of Overlord, and I hope it doesn't carry over into this project because this definitely looks like a side project for Madhouse.
I'll check the first few eps I guess.

Oh, is that so?
My bad then, and thanks for notifying me on this! I hope it won’t be passed on to this project either, Overlord III has some horrendous CGI moments after all.

Now then, I hope a potential Overlord 4 won’t be delayed but that’s probably a given now sadly. :(
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 18, 2019 12:02 PM

Jun 2016
The premise sounds like a crossover between sword of the stranger,dorohedoro and ghost in the shell.
Mar 18, 2019 12:31 PM

May 2017
OH heck yeah, Madhouse productions for the win. At first, I was feeling the no game no life title vibe, but now im hyped for this unique story line!
Mar 18, 2019 1:18 PM

Dec 2015
Mh... I just want the soundtrack.
Mar 18, 2019 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
My condolences to those who thought this was NGNL season two.
Mar 18, 2019 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
Ehhhhh. I mean.

The premise looks interesting, but the staff is... kinda iffy to me.

On the bright side, it seems like they hired people that have worked with each other before. So I guess that's a plus.
Mar 18, 2019 2:53 PM

May 2014
People really thinking that Madhouse is the same that it used to be. Yes, they’re not terrible by any means (like, not Studio Deen level), but they are not what they to, probably because of all the financial difficulties they’ve experiencing since 2008.
And before anyone mentions OPM, that was a one in a lifetime scenario. It was a passion project with animators from all over the industry involve (specially Bones) and came together, not because of Madhouse, but because of the love those people had for OPM.
But even then i have some hope, seeing the at times high quality and competent production values of boogiepop.
Mar 18, 2019 3:06 PM

Jan 2016
braquiador said:
People really thinking that Madhouse is the same that it used to be. Yes, they’re not terrible by any means (like, not Studio Deen level), but they are not what they to, probably because of all the financial difficulties they’ve experiencing since 2008.
And before anyone mentions OPM, that was a one in a lifetime scenario. It was a passion project with animators from all over the industry involve (specially Bones) and came together, not because of Madhouse, but because of the love those people had for OPM.
But even then i have some hope, seeing the at times high quality and competent production values of boogiepop.

If they were really in need of money, then why haven't they still made a new NGNL season, or another chihayafuru season before since I think they're the most liked anime from madhouse and would earn them a lot of money (especially NGNL)
Mar 18, 2019 3:15 PM

May 2014
Darkdarkai said:
braquiador said:

If they were really in need of money, then why haven't they still made a new NGNL season, or another chihayafuru season before since I think they're the most liked anime from madhouse and would earn them a lot of money (especially NGNL)

Chihayafaru is getting a new season this april. And they aren’t going to do a second season of NGNL probably because of some serious accusations against the Author of the novels, who is accuse of plagiarism (don’t knwo the specifics). Based on what i understand, that was also the reason the film was delayed for quite some time. A simple accusation may not seem much in the west, but in Japan it’s a big deal (enough to withhold an adaptation).
Mar 18, 2019 3:21 PM

Oct 2013
This is my type of show. Definitely going to consider watching, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Mar 18, 2019 3:22 PM

Sep 2014
shanimebib said:
Feel like I am being Click Baited. Still no NGNL.

I don't. I'm relieved.
Mar 18, 2019 3:32 PM

Jul 2009
On one hand, I'm interested because friends who read the manga told me this series is worth trying.

On the other hand, I'm not optismic about this since Madhouse is pretty much a shadow of its former self now. Not to mention the director and series composer doesn't seem promising.
Mar 18, 2019 3:52 PM

Dec 2012
NO GUNS NO LIFE

SEASON 2 WhEN

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Mar 18, 2019 4:32 PM

Oct 2012
It made me think or Overlord and it's gonna be directed by Overlord's director. Plus, Madhouse. Gotta be awesome.
Mar 18, 2019 5:01 PM

Jan 2017
Now that's some news! Expected for this anime for a long time, but not even on my wildest dreams I thought about a Madhouse adaptation. It's good to be alive.
Mar 18, 2019 5:31 PM

Feb 2015
Mar 18, 2019 7:29 PM

Aug 2016
If they bring the dispairing cyberpunk sound from Kenji Kawai....I´m probably in.
:v
Mar 18, 2019 8:02 PM

Jan 2019
seems interesting . ill definitely check this one out .
Mar 18, 2019 9:54 PM

Sep 2009
braquiador said:
Darkdarkai said:

Chihayafaru is getting a new season this april. And they aren’t going to do a second season of NGNL probably because of some serious accusations against the Author of the novels, who is accuse of plagiarism (don’t knwo the specifics). Based on what i understand, that was also the reason the film was delayed for quite some time. A simple accusation may not seem much in the west, but in Japan it’s a big deal (enough to withhold an adaptation).

And another guy here who did not read all of the information. Yes, the NGNL author was accused in copying some character poses for promo arts. Yes, another illusttrator got fired because of the same thing a couple of years prior and it rwesulted in the delay of vol. 8 (or 7 do not remember) of LNs.Though NGNL is two popular and there was no serioes circumstances. That thing is not a deal for a long time already.

The more probablre reason why there's still bno NGNL 2 is either because of the staff being busy with other projects (thry made YoriMoi just last year) or with publishers thinking that full TV season is not worth investment.
Mar 18, 2019 10:01 PM

Aug 2018

Transforming into a gun? I've sworn I'v heard that somewhere else before...
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Mar 18, 2019 11:16 PM

Dec 2016
good premise + madhouse is always something to look forward to
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Mar 18, 2019 11:31 PM
May 2017
I thought I heard No game No life but I was dissapointed when I double checked 😅
Non the less looks cool
Mar 22, 2019 12:50 PM

Mar 2014
It sounds interesting PTW.
Mar 22, 2019 4:50 PM

Jan 2016
As long it's Madhouse, it must be good.
Mar 22, 2019 11:19 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
News Update
The Hakuhodo DY Music and Pictures booth at the AnimeJapan 2019 event revealed a teaser preview for the anime series on Saturday.

Source: Ultra Jump

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 12 hours ago

8 by AddaeAkono »»
6 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

13 by VivavideoUser2x »»
2 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
Yesterday, 4:09 PM

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Apr 24, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.