A friend of mine and me picked a bunch of seemingly trash-shows to watch together via skype and see how they turn out to be. The following shows are on the list:
- Bikini Warriors (1/10): Poor excuse for a hentai short. I must admit that the RPG references were somewhat hilarious though. Quality in writing, animation and just about everything was absolute garbage though.
- Gakkou Gurashi! (7/10): Personal surprise of the season. I didn't really like most of the SoL parts but those that served a purpose in the character development. The horror was really well done imho and it's rare to see that imho. I had this on a 7,5/10 before the last episode and put it down to 7 because I was rather disappointed by the way it played out in the end. Could have been a lot better. Still a very good and unique experience.
- Himouto! Umaru-chan (1/10): Gets an award for being the most annoying show I have ever watched to date. Despite watching this together we both almost couldn't bear it. A horror sister with shit attitude disguised as a cute flawless girl, yeah right. I wished she would just die already every episode. But this wasn't nearly enough to justify the 1. The anime was poorly executed on all ends. The art was ok to extremly lazy, animation was horse shit, it was almost a full slide-show for certain episodes. I also can't comprehend how someone could seriously write a script like that and want to earn money on a serious basis (even more sad is that it apperently works...). Like randomly jumping from event to event (eating, eating more, slide show of shopping, eating again) and then they realise that there are 4 minutes left to fill the episode and just do a recap of ep1 in the end of ep10, which wasn't even relevant in the slightest.
- Jitsu wa Watashi wa (7/10): I usually hate harems but I thought this one was rather well done. It didn't focus too much on the harem aspects and the main duo was pretty obivous for everyone but the couple itself... I also loved the crazy humour, I'm a sucker for that. So in the end I bumped this up to a seven.
- Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan (2/10): To be perfectly honest, everything from the characters, their intercation to the story to the animation, art and sound effects was so trashy it was hilarious. We both agreed that this was the most successful choice for our "shit list" as it was so bad neither of us had watched it alone but together we just had sooo much fun. Prediciting cheesy lines, coming up with ridiculous plot points, it was just too good. So this one definitely got a bump for the high entertainment value.
- Makura no Danshi (1/10): Never again. This was creepy as fuck. Like every second guy was watching you asleep before you knew him. I also don't know this show was supposed to heal someone.To me it was rather disturbing how some S&M brothers told me how I would be their slave or how a child tried to flirt with me... I also think that the phrases were done by one guy within an hour with the request to keep it as simple as possible.
- Shimoneta (4/10): Nice idea but poor execution. Characters, especially villains were underdeveloped and it tried to ride on the same jokes again and again - e.g. the student council president, a problem that was never resolved in the end whatsoever. I also don't know why the story ended with ep11 and then they did a random filler as ep12 instead of a wrap-up. All in all there were still enjoyable parts and we had some good laughs while watching it together.
Venus Project: Climax (2/10): We both decided to drop this after ep wasn't anime but japanese people doing random games.
100th Anime - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society
200th Anime - Gunslinger Girl
300th Anime - Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome
First of, I consider the following factors when rating a show: Story (overall plot, side story, general fluidity, coherence and techniques of story telling), Characters (design and development), Art/Sound/Animation (those usually count as bonus points or small redeeming factors but can't carry a show alone to a score above 5, even if godly), General Enjoyment (how compelling is it, intent of the show and its implementation etc.), Messages/Need to think/Roundup. Secondly, I always rate a show in its entirety. So if a show only begins to make sense in the last couple episodes because then it all ties back, it can still be a masterpiece if it's done right. Also, if a show is bad for one half and good in the other I usually tend to take the average and also subjectively decide which part has been more important for the show.
10 - Masterpiece. It needs to be outstanding in at least 2 categories and at least very good in all the others. It doesn't have to be perfect, nothing is, but it should not have any major flaws. It also needs to bring something special that really sets it appart from other shows.
9 - Great. Basically the same as 10 but with 1 or 2 apparent flaws. It also doesn't need to bring something special but bringing something special can outweight a major flaw.
8 - Very good. Generally solid shows that are among my favourites. They usually contain a number of apparent flaws but the good things outweight those flaws heavily.
7 - Good. Shows that I enjoyed very much and have a lot of good things to them. They usually contain 1-2 major flaws as well as some minor ones. The good things still outweight the bad by a large margin.
6 - Fine. Solid shows I enjoy but nothing really special. Also, a lot of shows fall into this category that start of really strong and might even bring something special but completly fall apart later on.
5 - Ok/Average. Flaws and good things balance each other out. Usually there are glaring flaws that can't be overseen and really take a dump onto the enjoyment. There are still some redeeming factors that let me continue to watch so I don't come out in the end while thinking that it was a complete waste of time.
4 - Bad. Flaws outweight the good things. There are still some redeeming facts that I can enjoy or generally speak in favour of the show.
3 - Very Bad. This show is really bad for the most part. Only a couple of good things about it or a small number of good episodes in a sea of bad ones.
2 - Horrible. The show is a complete trainwreck. There might be decent art or music but the rest entirely falls apart.
1 - Shit. Don't watch this. Things I can't bring myself to finish even if I try to be a masochist. It's like someone tried to implement the most horrid ideas into a show and failing at the implementation in every category possible.