Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 29, 2016 3:55 AM

Jul 2013
Every episode on point.
Love listening to the ED every time <3
Lol world domination.
Does make me wonder what Salt has been planning..

Can't wait for more!
Oct 29, 2016 9:10 AM

Dec 2015
Dimensional gates rely on the girls connections? How did they open it before then?
Kokonoa's protectiveness of her naked body while facing a little girl of her age was weird.

4/5 But after reading here, I can only suppose I didn't understand a single thing again.

@TragicRomance A sexual dream? o_O I only saw a boat with a long-haired faceless girl. What is the "thing" you mention and what does it mean?
And what do you call "flirting" during the slide sequence?
Oct 29, 2016 9:10 AM

Dec 2015
The usual forced bonding episode for the heroes.
Dimensional gates rely on the girls connections? How did they open it before then? Thanks @Ajunky. ( https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1564398&show=50#msg48342722 )
Kokonoa's protectiveness of her naked body while facing a little girl of her age went too far (for me).

4/5 But after reading here, I can only suppose I didn't understand a single thing again.

@TragicRomance A sexual dream? o_O I only saw a boat with a long-haired faceless girl. What is the "thing" you mention and what does it mean?
Rei_IIIOct 29, 2016 10:58 AM
Oct 29, 2016 10:11 AM

Nov 2015
I loved this episode, it was slow but good.

Oct 29, 2016 10:21 AM
Oct 2010
Rei366 said:
Dimensional gates rely on the girls connections? How did they open it before then?

I think it's more like getting feelings/mental state in sync. The first time was kinda forced with the tickling/groping, the second they were both reaching for Uexkull, the third was maybe fear/claustrophobia? - which may lead to suspect the separation was cause Papika couldn't quite empathize with that. This last time must have been the elation over "successfully" escaping in a raft (drifting without a paddle is a tad reckless, but what the hell)
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Oct 29, 2016 12:39 PM

May 2010
Rei366 said:

The cave thing? It's opening looked like that. What is the most common thing one would expect when they hear they are gonna have a sleepover with someone? (they are partially interested in) That's your answer. She fantasized consciously or unconsciously and that led to a dream imo.

They were totally flirting tho. "I will never ever let you go"
"I will never let be gone" How is that not flirting...
Oct 29, 2016 12:58 PM

Dec 2015
@TragicRomance Oh, sorry ! I thought you were mentionning the dream she had right after talking with her grand-mother. Indeed, I can see what you mean if it was about the wood "balloon door".

Thank you about the flirting session, I don't claim it wasn't, I simply saw the usual proof of friendship and/or bond strengthening I expect to have in a majority of contemporary japanese fictions (at least for young people). I would have never noticed it without you. Nnot that I can see it better now, it still flies light-years above me. But I might be able to recognize the next instances (by analogy). ^^
Rei_IIIOct 29, 2016 1:01 PM
Oct 29, 2016 3:27 PM
Apr 2010
I don't know if this show is trying to be serious or not. Or is it... I don't even know. I don't know the background of why things are happening the way they are, the background of the characters aside from Cocona, and just the general... Why?
Oct 29, 2016 9:40 PM

Dec 2015
@Flipside101 Many people complain about tone consistency in japanese animation but it often happens that a series is willingly funny/light while treating sometimes serious matters (or the opPosite).

About the other things, you only need to know about the heroine I suppose since it appears that she will be the one growing up. And we got a few lines about the why and what in the last two episodes.
But it doesn't seem like the anime is trying to tell you the story you are waiting for.
Oct 30, 2016 3:10 PM

May 2015
Aww, this was such a sweet episode.

Oct 30, 2016 7:11 PM

Apr 2013
It's kind of confusing how Pure Illusion is this crazy fantastical world but also the "real world" that they live in has some fantastical creatures and plants and stuff, so it's hard to tell exactly what's supposed to be "normal" or not for the characters.

I liked the episode though, it's a nice breather. It has further proven that the writers don't necessarily shy away from exposition, so I'm continuously made more confident that all the loose ends will likely be tied up by the end of the story. The only question then will be if the story/world that is formed is actually interesting once it makes more sense.

Since the last episode I've come to respect that Flip Flappers does offer just enough of an explanation to watch it as it goes on - it's nice that the magical girl transformation was expected by at least someone, I guess that's just what happens when they're SUPER close to the same state of mind, and I had kind of assumed that the gung-ho potato was what put them there. I'm interested in the connection between their super saiyan powers and the magical girl powers, because it seems they can go super saiyan independently of each other, but they only become magical girls when they're in sync. I feel like it just has to do with the nature of Pure Illusion, so far Pure Illusion seems to react according to their feelings and perceptions to an extent, so maybe they can go super saiyan when their emotions are strong but when they're in sync, the "power of yuri love" is so powerful that they go to their next form? I'd buy it.

What I got out of this episode was a sense that everything will probably be fully explained by the end, and that the writers are being deliberate with the world-building, character development/backstory, and likely the ideological motivations of these seemingly-opposing groups that are venturing into Pure Illusion. It brought back some characters/settings from previous episodes so it feels like they're reminding us that everything has some reason for being in the anime and will play a bigger part later perhaps. I'm interested in what the more allegorical-minded viewers got from this episode, so far there has been some interesting symbolism related to yuri stuff but this episode seemed to get even more literal in its yuri love ^_^
Oct 30, 2016 8:15 PM

Nov 2012
I was hoping that I will get moe version of Mirai Shonen Conan.

Episode 4 of FliFla is moe version of Mirai Shonen Conan.

ZetaZaku said:
Island arc of Nadia done in 12min and actually good?!

Yup. That's it!
Oct 30, 2016 10:22 PM

Feb 2011
TragicRomance said:
I bet the grandpa used to be an old magical girl. Or whatever they become after transforming.

I think grandma is either a member of the Flip Flappers org, or the evil one that Yayaka's part of. She seems way too chill about things to not be in the know. Of the two I'd bet on her being part of Flip Flappers.

TragicRomance said:
Did Cocona just have a symbolical sexual dream? That thing looked like... yup. Was she subconsciously/consciously thinking about doing this and that with Papika, and hence the dream?

I don't think the dream was meant to be sexual. I've had a theory in my mind from the start that Papika and Cocona are two halves of one whole being. Add in the complete polar opposites of their personalities, and even knowledge bases. Then the mention of Papika being half of Direct Drive in episode three also fits with that theory.

I think that girl in the boat is the whole version of the two. Notice her hair is long, like Papika's, but mostly straight like Cocona's. It also appears brown or purple, which could be a combination of their red & blue hair colors. (Really hard to judge colors in that scene though, it's so dark.) The tree at the end reminded me more of the cave from The Empire Strikes Back, basically a cave of evil. In this case it could be a cave containing whatever it was that split them into two parts.

TragicRomance said:
Very conscious esp. around Papika.

I wouldn't read too much into that, as they're at the age where girls and boys both become more self-conscious about their bodies. Plus, I think it's just there to give us more examples of how opposite their personalities are. (That and to for fan-service.) Papika's not shy at all about being seen naked, and Cocona is horrified at being seen, even by a close friend.

SakurasouBusters said:
Im not sure i understand the fan service thing people are talking about, there was a shower scene and bath scene but it was nothing gratuitous and it felt natural to me.

The bath scene this time didn't feel too gratuitous, but combined with the stuff from previous episodes (like the robot doing the tentacle thing in episode one, then doing up-skirt stuff on the train in episode two) it comes across as fan-service. And it probably was intended that way, but at least it fit into the story better this time.
Nov 1, 2016 2:45 AM

Dec 2009
These artists nailing gorgeous sexy proportions... (i need to practice)

Normal fanservice that pretty much anyone does, shower scenes are common in western films (though they don't do it with young girls :P)

I noticed Papika sleeps in the nude...
I always love to see anime's ability to use nudity (when not part of fanservice) applying it with a sense of normality. Being bothered by nudity is what is perverted, not nudity. Casually naked scenes always put a smile on my face.

This does seem like a relationship between a normal person and someone autistic though. I don't mean that in the sense of the trend of labelling things "autistic" i mean Papika does exhibit several autistic traits, and trying to get along with someone who's both smart and ignorant can be difficult. Cocona is well versed in common sense and social normality like most people, but Papika has that sort of wisdom born of ignorance; an understanding of natural things, while being ignorant to that of social structures.

Why didn't they take shelter in the lighthouse? That said, i dunno if any of you have had a wilderness camp under the stars before, truly un-polluted skies are killer. You haven't seen the night sky until you've seen the Milky Way glitter (not just a smudge).

「絶対に離さないよ!」
"Zettai ni hanasanai yo!"
GenesisAriaNov 1, 2016 3:12 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 1, 2016 3:32 AM

Oct 2011
Papika can survive in an island without any problem. lol There is 2 many loli fanservice in this, but It's okay, I guess. No Pure Illusion too.

It was a good episode, It was nice to see Papika and Cocona friendship growing stronger.
Nov 1, 2016 10:24 PM

Aug 2013
I find Yayaka's declaration that her organization's purpose is "world conquest" slightly... off. I'm wondering if that's their true objective. It may also be that world conquest is the organization's goal, but not Yayaka's.

I can't believe nobody noticed that the girl on the boat

is the classic "Young woman/old woman" illusion
(@Rei366)
Nov 1, 2016 10:39 PM

Dec 2015
@PaleBlue I knew this optic illusion (was once a 'fan" of those pictures). But I never understood this one in particular, mainly because I don't see both "sides" but only the younger one). Thus, I didn't even recognize it here.

Thank you, it should clarify the scene. ^^

edit: @PaleBlue Thanks but I meant: I know the trick but I can't "see" the old face nonetheless.
Rei_IIINov 1, 2016 10:59 PM
Nov 1, 2016 10:43 PM

Aug 2013
@Rei366 The young woman's choker is the old woman's mouth, and her cheek is the old woman's craggy nose.
Nov 1, 2016 10:57 PM

Dec 2009
PaleBlue said:
Neat. At least this show is very literate in classical arts, though on the boat, that may be a reference, but in the case of this anime, the "old woman" part was not observably present.

Thus i would classify this as a "visual arts otaku" anime.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 2, 2016 8:37 AM

Jul 2007
If any people doubted this is about lesbians and coming to terms with your identity and sexuality, this episode should have put those doubts to rest.
Nov 2, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2013
GenesisAria said:
PaleBlue said:
Neat. At least this show is very literate in classical arts, though on the boat, that may be a reference, but in the case of this anime, the "old woman" part was not observably present.

Thus i would classify this as a "visual arts otaku" anime.

I think the deficiency of the girl in the anime to convey the old woman just comes from trying to translate the image from the original into this anime's art style.
Nov 2, 2016 11:20 AM

Jul 2009
I really love their chemistry, they are great together!
Nov 2, 2016 3:05 PM

Dec 2009
I don't know what's going on but I really like this show and Cocona and Papika's relationship. Also down for the loli fanservice too ;D
Nov 2, 2016 4:52 PM

Apr 2014
Papika x Cocona adventures are always funand cute as for the other group just seems all they do is follow Papika x Cocona and try to take whatever they can which makes me dislike them even more than i already did

but looking forward to what the next episode will bring
"one step at a time"
Nov 2, 2016 6:12 PM
Oct 2010
PaleBlue said:

I think the deficiency of the girl in the anime to convey the old woman just comes from trying to translate the image from the original into this anime's art style.

I say you're overthinking. It can be translated better if done intentionally. Here the blouse breaks the "illusion" instantly.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Nov 2, 2016 10:13 PM

Oct 2008
Papika's Hoversurfer is cool especially when accelerating!
Sekai Seifuku!? LOL yayaka did you just mentioned Zvezda!?
A bit of a fanservice there from Cocona!
Another incoming Pure Illusion next episode! of course with Yayaka and Co...
4/5.

Nov 4, 2016 7:19 PM

Sep 2016
I really wish I liked this more. There are moments here that I dig, but other moments that feels so off.
Nov 4, 2016 11:44 PM

Mar 2016
Psykofreac said:
Hey look, it's Cocona- oh wait...

I see what you did there~
No seriously.
Nov 5, 2016 8:01 PM

Jan 2011
I got a bit of a Sanzu River vibe from that dream.
Nov 6, 2016 5:22 PM

Feb 2013
"Flip Flap, Flip Flap." Gosh I love that ED.

This episode was a necessary slowdown to build up their friendship. Their bath had holes! Very cute.
Wow the bunny's shadow going after that grass! Look at those teeth!
Dec 1, 2016 8:46 AM

Nov 2015
A SoL-ish episode, well done character developement!

4/5
Dec 3, 2016 12:26 PM

Feb 2013
This anime is so cute i cant even <3

Dec 6, 2016 8:17 PM

Oct 2012
Fai said:
If any people doubted this is about lesbians and coming to terms with your identity and sexuality, this episode should have put those doubts to rest.

I really don't see that myself but what I love about this show is that there's a lot that can be interpreted. We're all probably seeing a slightly different version of the show in some way.
Dec 26, 2016 10:56 AM

Jan 2013
Not the most exciting episode, still alright.
Dec 28, 2016 4:24 PM
Dec 2015
SO CUTE I WANNA FUCKING DIE
Jan 3, 2017 11:10 PM

May 2012
Interesting, a bit more of a random/stranded/beach episode but in general a good warmup for the next episode! Looking forward to see what's next.

Still love that ED song and animation <3
Jan 5, 2017 9:16 PM
Jul 2016
I like how they chose to take shelter in a hovel made out of sticks and leaves than in the lighthouse right next to them.
Jan 17, 2017 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
This episode made more sense story-wise at the expense of that awesome crazy colourful action from last episode but it was still fun to watch!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 17, 2017 10:08 PM

Apr 2013
This show has a very fair level of badass surrounding it. I honestly can't wait to finish it this weekend.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Feb 10, 2017 4:06 PM

Feb 2010
HaiiroTama said:

Since the last episode I've come to respect that Flip Flappers does offer just enough of an explanation to watch it as it goes

I disagree. We got explanations in the next episodes (e.g. transformation in the 3rd episode).
We have Yayaka, we can talk with her... and she tells us "for world dominations"...
Feb 15, 2017 9:16 PM
Nov 2016
Fai said:

There's nothing to doubt. The lead characters just finally began to have actual chemistry. Nothing in THIS ep supports them having a romantic relationship, just one that finally feels somewhat genuine and not forced and creepy like in the previous eps.
Feb 15, 2017 9:18 PM
Nov 2016
Holy crap...after the first 3 god-awful eps, finally, ep 4 is actually...GOOD.
No inconsistent or out of place character actions or worlds, things make sense, ACTUAL CHEMISTRY between the leads...this should've been the anime from EP 1.
Jan 7, 2018 4:20 AM

May 2017
Why did I have to start my new year with this anime?

If the next 2/3rds of this show is as good as the first, it's going to be hard to top.

Space Dandy meets Magical Girls? MOAR!

Nothing much else to say, the show is taking it's time setting up, but I already feel the connection and love. Massively curious to find out about Papika's past. It's going to be gutwrenching and I'm gonna cry like a bab.

Looking forward to it.
Current Events Thread Topics...
Not even once.
Apr 11, 2018 9:49 AM

Nov 2009
Man I still don't know what to make of this 4 episodes in, it's neat and stylish I guess?
May 13, 2018 6:22 AM

Jan 2016
How did the pure illusion randomly appear?
May 27, 2018 11:05 AM

Feb 2015
I guess they got the materials needed to build that rift from the lighthouse, otherwise I don't see how they'd have managed that in merely one day. Anyway, I liked it. Still wondering where this is going.
Jan 29, 2019 3:59 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
The transformation of the pipe in the forest is AWESOME, and love the small details everywhere. Hope we get more insight of the opposing force and though it's "world conquest" I think it's a bit bigger then that.

Cocona coming into her own identity and having fun, letting loose. I love it and won't lie that I felt very similar in my teens. And she gets a stellar girlfriend too woah.
Mar 31, 2020 10:21 AM

May 2013
Gheyyyyyyyyy. Lolol.

Man, this anime better not be another Madoka Magica >.> Can't stand animes that drag on and don't explain until the v end -.-
May 4, 2020 9:28 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Now i understand some of their story puzzle parts there and there. Sadly for Cocona parents, tho. So, thats why they need partners, eh? For increasing the level of impendancy, the transformation, they need to synchronise their feeling. Feeling? Relationship, or romantic? More like a friendship to me! Why Cocona? I guess because she choosen? Had a shard on her groin? How could be? I think i must watch more episodes to answer my shit questions!

AnimeFanboy1234 said:
No inconsistent or out of place character actions or worlds, things make sense, ACTUAL CHEMISTRY between the leads...this should've been the anime from EP 1.

Lol i laugh and quote these because it certainly like my first impression too. This show really get some nerved at its first half session for the story development.

So, that beautiful shard can really a source of wish? FlipFlap organization and Yayakas KKK rival clubs really had their own wish to accomplish by collecting the shard. Now i get the whole story situations, abit to late comparing how weird with the pace of first three episodes. Afterall, these show sure was fun watch and i like how colorful this shows are.
badabassMay 4, 2020 9:36 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 4, 2020 9:31 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
AnimeFanboy1234 said:

Lol i laugh and quote these because it certainly like my thought too. This show really get some nerved at its first half session for the story development.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

3 by Berhinger »»
May 21, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.