Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 8, 2014 10:06 PM

Apr 2014
More than any other anime this season, Ping Pong leaves me wanting more each week. I could watch hours of this a day and not be bored.
May 9, 2014 12:57 AM

Oct 2013
Can't believe some people think Peco is giving up..
That wasn't him giving up that was a sign to part with his oldself
I bet from here on, he'll re-try to snatch the spotlight
"Burn the heretics"
May 9, 2014 2:08 AM

Mar 2009
Oh, cool. Wenge isn't leaving, after al. That makes me happy.

Great episode as always.
May 9, 2014 2:32 AM

Jan 2014
After the previous episode, it was inevitable that the change of situation and all would make this one less good, but it was still nice.

I like a lot Wenge, I hope to see him in the future.
But I don't like Peco so much, and I don't understand why he threw the racket from the bridge, maybe because of the "talent" speech, but it's still a weak reason, and all the talent topic is very questionable.

I felt quite much the desperation of Sakuma.
May 9, 2014 2:45 AM

Apr 2013
"Maybe, I'll go to the mountains..."

Glad to see Wenge stay, I was afraid he'd be gone after last episode. Hope he gets back into it in the future.

Peco changed. And he got a girlfriend? At least briefly I guess. I thought it was pretty sad when he threw away his racket. I hope he still stays at it and at least tries to get better.

The Shinsengumi comparison was nice somehow. And Smile being a badass of course.
May 9, 2014 5:12 AM

Sep 2013
GREAT ANIME
Smile have a heart of stone "you dont have talent' he said' Just Awful.
we start to see an increasing in number of female characters , but they didn't introduce Peco Girlfriend TOO BAD.
i felt sorry for Akuma and Wenga in this episode.
May 9, 2014 5:51 AM

May 2012
Wenge spoke Japanese! <3
May 9, 2014 6:19 AM

Sep 2013
sheidesu said:
Wenge spoke Japanese! <3

Yep Yep
Horay
May 9, 2014 6:57 AM
Sep 2013
This is terrible. They altered too many things from manga. Its just absurd.
May 9, 2014 7:12 AM

Sep 2011
lichtjahre said:

Ping Pong is not about ping pong, its about life.

this is exactly why im watching ping pong tbh

Denji said:

I feel like the last scene was especially powerful, when Peco throws away his paddle. There's been a lot of star/moon imagery, since they're in Peco and Smile's names (hoshi from Hoshino, tsuki from Tsukimoto), and seeing Peco's paddle so small and far away from the moon really hits on how aloof and imposing Tsukimoto has become. Well, the only thing that can reach the moon is a shooting star, so we'll see how things go.

wow the way u interpret that scene!!
May 9, 2014 7:29 AM
Apr 2012
Haha that guy who went to the beach after losing returns and is now off to the mountains. Peco going to the beach and ignoring the girl he went with, criminal! Akuma got beat by Smile and beat badly, the 'no talent' part was a real gut punch.
May 9, 2014 8:51 AM

Jun 2013
another great episode!

talent vs hard work.....it's kinda deep and meaningful

the ED is awesome, even with some changes
May 9, 2014 9:58 AM

Sep 2012
Damn. Peco changed.
May 9, 2014 12:12 PM

Sep 2013
Talent + hard-work>>>>>no/little talent + super hard-work.

I hope Akuma gets better, that was painful, his whole life crushed :(

Peco thou :O

That sea guy is gonna be a mountain guy now, cool :)
May 9, 2014 2:46 PM

Oct 2010
Next episode:

I came to the mountain.
May 9, 2014 4:09 PM

Jul 2012
PremiumCascade said:
didn't realize until they called him peco that it was peco, so shocked

Yeah I kept on thinking it was an extra person on the team.

HybridMBL said:
What I love about Sports shows like this and Chihayafuru is it's less about the sport and more about the interesting characters who play it. Don't get me wrong I like me some Yowamushi Pedal and Daiya no A but the writing here is just on another level

This. I do like all four of the above though, for different reasons. I think Ping Pong definitely does realism better though.

Asfaria said:
The characters are really changing and becoming likeable. Compared to the first episode, there's such a huge change in everyone. Wenge and Smile are my favorites, but I like all the characters.

^
May 9, 2014 4:39 PM

Jun 2012
Fuck. Like seriously. That harsh reality. And I want to see Smile face Kazuma even more now.

HowTragic said:
Next episode:

I came to the mountain.
Omg when I saw that guy at the beginning I lmao'd so hard. He was at the beach long enough for Kazuma to become world champion.
Sol_OuMay 9, 2014 4:45 PM
May 9, 2014 4:40 PM

May 2012
00:53 ohh yehhh

Waiting for Peco's comeback.
7.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 9, 2014 6:27 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, that episode was oddly depressing...

A lot of sad contexts happened right here. First, there's Wenga who have to give up on his country because he's feeling too ashamed to see back his familly. When he left on the train while crying, it was really heartbreaking. He have fell really low, having to work for a random club.

Then, there's Peko. He's obliviously depressed and he represses his feeling by ''having fun''. But he definitely do not feel confortable. Just the fact that he was going to the club, wasn't playing and nobody was giving a fuck about him. Also, when he left between Smile and Demon, you could see he felt really unconfortable. He didn't even cared to see Demon, his tormentor, get demolished by Smile. He just can't deal with the fact that he never realised how strong Smile was. Always fooling on him and taking him down subtly, he never would have thought that this super introvert guy could be a total monster.

There is also the whole club team that is in a pretty depressing situation. Everyone seem to have lost interrest in ping pong. When the sempai said that they had become ball boys, it was really spot on. They all have to venerate their new tyranic leader.

Finally, there's Demon... I must say, I think he's maybe the one I felt the most sad for. You know, he was a fucking jerk, to Smile, to Peko, to his club, to everyone that wasn't gentle with him. But still, he worked really hard to do what he loved. But you know what? He reached his limits. The thing is that his strenght only relate on his ability to assimilate difficult technic, but he doesn't have an innate talent. What Smile said was really crude, but it was really true at the same time. For Peko, it's the complete opposite, he have a great talent, but have no learning ability. He play by instinct. He's always goofing around and he has the ability to wreck and humiliate the people that are weaker than him. But when he encounter someone better than him, he doesn't have the technic to compensate.

Smile can be sooo scary. Damn, he changed so much, I must say that I have difficulty to understand why he became so much invested in ping pong since he said that he found it ridiculous to base one life on a sport...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 9, 2014 6:48 PM
Aug 2012
- China speaking japanese was a nice touch. Before his beatdowns by the hand of Smile and Dragon he used his translator as a shield, a barrier that would keep him divided from the rest of the "Mediocre japanese players".

- Loved the scene of China getting the package from his mom.

- I've said it once, I'll say it again. This series gets the characters so, very, right.

Great episode.

-
May 9, 2014 6:54 PM

Jan 2011
Ocean guy is going to become Mountain guy.

Wow, Peco and Smile sure changed in one episode.

Kong's flashback was heartwarming.

This is amazing the story is on another level.
May 9, 2014 9:30 PM

Aug 2013
WOW THAT GOT INTENSE AT THE END. Ping Pong drama.

Last episode wasn't as good as the others, but this was. I love everything about this anime. I disliked the remix of the ED song, but who cares. They felt like changing it for this episode, so they did. (Hopefully they change it back though....)
May 9, 2014 10:51 PM

Sep 2013
that scene with wenge's mom makes me sad
May 10, 2014 12:18 AM

Mar 2008
An amazing follow-up that integrated every element we've seen so far. Fantastic.

That lovely ED tweak. Quite a sombre episode.
May 10, 2014 2:25 AM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
tommy73 said:
It's sad but true; people will have the natural talent and will beat those even who work much harder.

That isn't "true". If "natural talent" always beat "effort", then talent would never have to practice. Outside of the fact that most talent is due to strenuous effort over the course of years, if "talent" always won, then we wouldn't need to have competition. The outcome would be obvious from the beginning.

For most people their definition of "talent" is a tautology: Why do you know they have talent? Because they win. Why do they win? Because they have talent.

The idea that "talent always wins" is a condolence that losers say in order to justify their losing.

Now this isn't to say that there isn't "talent", only that "talent" is merely one fact, an important one of course, but still one of many aspects that goes into winning. If talent were so easy, then the NFL draft wouldn't have so many failures.

Also, for many sports far more important than "talent" is just simple genetics. Basketball players are born big, most football players are born big, some people are naturally coordinated or uncoordinated, but genetics is not a "talent" and is another thing that has no guarantee of success.

Interesting argument. Yeah now I sort of question what I wrote, but what I meant was that some are more capable of doing particular things than others by practicing less. But of course, you're completely right in that talent is a tautology to lots, that practice will be rewarding eventually. If one relies on 'talent', then that's seriously never gonna get them anywhere, but it's certainly some sort of head start.

I think I might be confusing this with art and creativeness, since I'm more into that than sport. I know some people who try to draw or compose for years and others who can pretty much draw with ace with little practice, but I doubt they had none and I doubt they can draw from just 'doing it with talent' without some sort of background.

Also, effort >>> talent.
tommy73May 10, 2014 2:48 AM
May 10, 2014 5:33 AM
May 2010
Effort without talent is worthless (Akuma) but so is talent without effort (Peco). The show has illustrated both sides of the coin nicely. To say one is better than the other is wrong. You need both (Kazama).

Smile has been playing since he was a kid. Perhaps almost every day because it doesn't look like he has anything else to do. He didn't have Akuma's dedication but to say he didn't put in any effort would be wrong. Maybe not strenuous effort but there's working smart and then there's working hard. And the fundamental build up.
May 10, 2014 7:33 AM

Oct 2011
Such a deep message
May 10, 2014 7:53 AM
Feb 2010
Not sure what to feel about the animation of the waves in the front part of the episode. The waves motion look extremely cartoonish.

To be honest, I don't like how Smile is acting. It's like over one or two episodes he suddenly had a change of heart to play table tennis, and then one or two again to play it without mercy (I refer to him vs Kong, where he threw in the towel, but in this episode he didn't care).

And about Smile and Peco. It's like they are strangers now...==.

About talent vs effort, which sports manga/anime features a main character without talent? It's just that they are not as arrogant as the "New Smile" (somehow Smile gained the confidence to mock others). Take Yowamushi no Pedal and Diamond no Ace for example. If you really want to look at it generally, then all those that the MCs beat in the sports are those who put in effort but without talent.
DunkjoeMay 10, 2014 8:00 AM
May 10, 2014 10:53 AM
May 2014
umashikaneko said:
This is terrible. They altered too many things from manga. Its just absurd.

"Unlike manga"=/="bad", it's too early to draw a conclusion now.
The arcade scene in manga is important, yes. It tells us that Peco has a quick reaction, which is a must for table tennis players. But that doesn't mean Yuasa can't send this message in his way later in episode 6.
Can't see the difference between burning the bat or throw it into water.
lichtjahreMay 10, 2014 10:57 AM
May 10, 2014 11:07 AM

Jan 2009
Peco is fat now ! :O
Poor Akuma...
May 10, 2014 7:48 PM

Sep 2011
this series has consistently been getting better and better, this episode was phenomenal and the character development is outstanding. I cant believe im getting so into the drama for a show called ping pong

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 10, 2014 8:34 PM

Jun 2013
Anime1Anime1 said:
PEPSI
I agree.

This a great show.
May 11, 2014 3:33 AM

Sep 2009
Lol Kazama is the villian in this series. Already hating him.
May 11, 2014 7:27 PM

Sep 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Five episodes in and every character has had more development than most characters in 100+ episode shows.

I agree completely. The writing is excellent. I can't get enough of the music and I wish I could appreciate the art more instead of reading the subtitles ;_; I'm loving this so far.
May 12, 2014 4:29 AM

Apr 2013
Despite how brief the scene was showing Wenge and his mother, it was so powerful.
Powerful eyebrows.
May 12, 2014 6:15 PM

May 2014
HowTragic said:
Next episode:

I came to the mountain.

Episode 7:

Ah, oh well. It seems I failed the mountain. Maybe I'll go into the fields.
May 13, 2014 1:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great drama in this series.

I really feel sorry for Akuma. Such an overachiever and he just cannot top Smile even with all his effort.

I love the Coache's use of random Engrish
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 13, 2014 5:24 PM
Oct 2012
Dunkjoe said:
To be honest, I don't like how Smile is acting. It's like over one or two episodes he suddenly had a change of heart to play table tennis, and then one or two again to play it without mercy (I refer to him vs Kong, where he threw in the towel, but in this episode he didn't care).

And about Smile and Peco. It's like they are strangers now...==.

About talent vs effort, which sports manga/anime features a main character without talent? It's just that they are not as arrogant as the "New Smile" (somehow Smile gained the confidence to mock others).

Question, what was different about the opponent this episode as opposed to before. If you understand this, almost all your questions will be answered.

Also, what was the image that Smile had when he transformed into a Ping Pong God? Those two points should make everything you don't understand clear.
May 13, 2014 8:27 PM

Apr 2011
The Wenge scenes are always subtle and moving, but the Akuma battle with Smile was truly depressing to watch.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
May 14, 2014 5:27 AM
Mar 2014
I'm very surprised about how much i enjoy this anime - the art direction threw me at first, but now i freaking love it! the animation is very detailed and the story is getting better and better. right now 'ping-pong the animation' is second only to 'yowamushi pedal' of the shows i am enjoying the most this spring season. what is going to happen to peco?!? he is my favorite. i can't believe he threw his ping-pong paddle away!!!
May 15, 2014 1:25 PM

Jul 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
Five episodes in and every character has had more development than most characters in 100+ episode shows. I have no idea where this will end and this is absolutely amazing.
Pretty much. Also, I wonder what Peco will do.
May 17, 2014 7:04 AM

Aug 2013
I didn't realize the guy selling stuff at the beach was the guy Smile beat in the first round. Now he's thinking of going to the mountain huh XD

I really like Kong now. His character feels real and that's probably why it's so easy to empathize with him.

Peco's in a slump but Smile will probably pull him back in.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 19, 2014 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHOTA ANUS RAPEALICIOUS JUSIPUSI LICKIN' FUCK-FUCK FUCKITY FUCKEROONEY GOODNESS

Great damn episode

The realistic changes and development the characters underwent, the subtle backstories, the fucking emotion and drama, holy goddamnit shit.

SMILE IS FUCKIN AWESOME

HAIL TO YUASA MASAAKI

HAIL TO TATSUNOKO PURO

KAZAMA'S A BEAST

SAKUMA IS PAINFUL

oh goddamnit

DAMNIT

migohunter said:
Despite how brief the scene was showing Wenge and his mother, it was so powerful.

YES. Absofuckinlutely mate. My chest ached until after he left the room. Damn it. Anime really isn't dead at all. You just have to wait for the good ones made by the good people to come out.
zetsu_shorenMay 19, 2014 8:00 AM
Jun 18, 2014 11:19 PM

Nov 2012
Tons of character development. Way too much if I were to say.
Jun 26, 2014 3:07 PM

Jan 2014

Ping Pong, how do you manage to get me to love you more each passing episode? (but seriously tho, dat budget saving)

Seeing the development of all the other major characters was great: the repercussions of Peco's curbstomping on him and how it considerably weakened his resolve, Akuma's realization that hard work without the talent means nothing, Kazuma's lack of empathy towards the other members of the team, Wenge's decision to start anew.

That's some quality characterization right here.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jun 29, 2014 11:40 PM

Oct 2008
I felt like I missed something, so much changed without any real transition. How much time has gone by since the tournament? Seems like months with how big of a physical change the bowl cut kid changed but why is Smile so interested in training all of a sudden? Guess I gotta go back and watch episode 4.
Jul 3, 2014 7:32 AM
Aug 2007
kinda disappointed in peco.. giving up so easily and being somewhat bitter towards smile..
Jul 3, 2014 10:19 AM

Dec 2012
Ping Pong only continues to further impress. This is a bit of a minor detail but I like how none of the characters who wear glasses act like glasses archetypes. It's been ages since I've seen characters who aren't defined by how many eyes they have.

I really felt for Sakuma this episode. They did a really good job at setting up the reality that there's a limit to how far hard work can go in the face of sheer talent and his visual impairment.

But on a lighter note, I laughed so hard when that guy was like "maybe the sea isn't for me, maybe I'll try the mountains." I like how Ping Pong is exploring how the defeated move on in life rather than throw them under the rug. This is best demonstrated with Wenge's decision to stay in Japan.
Jul 18, 2014 2:00 AM
May 2012
Dude......enjoy the mountains~
What the hell happened to Peco ahahaha. Why did you throw your "partner" :/
Poor Wenge :/ He miss his mom, and he was crying ;_; He is my favorite character in this Anime.
Akuma, sometimes or maybe even always, hard work really doesn't pay. Those with talents are the sad truth.
That ending song~
Jul 24, 2014 1:16 AM

May 2013
Those Wenge scenes were full of feels.

Kazama is a real jerk. Always saying his own team is trash and openly announcing he wants another player from another school.

Felt kind of bad for the Demon because he worked his ass off and he still can't accomplish his goals.

Tsukimoto actually bluntly stated that the Demon doesn't have talent...does this mean that he's given up on considering his opponents feelings?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by jas-samaaa »»
May 18, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

310 by minami6 »»
May 13, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.