Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 7, 2021 1:46 PM
Jul 2018

What happened? These are the start dates of shoujo anime between the start of 2020 to 2022 and these are just a handful.

There is especially no new stuff, only remakes (not that I complain) and nly a few established franchises.

Let me open this topic to mourn the death of a wonderful demographic.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 7, 2021 1:49 PM

May 2010
Good to know you're still alive.

Shoujo has been all downhill since Ouran.

I guess Orange was good?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 1:49 PM

Jan 2021
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
the death of a wonderful demographic.

Haven't you heard? 100% of young women in japan died of the Coronavirus.
Mar 7, 2021 1:53 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
I did grow up with Mirmo and a Little Snow Fairy Sugar so part of me is hurt plus I really like Aishiteruze Baby. But whatever, other genres/demographics exist and I'm more of a Josei/Seinen guy anyway
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Mar 7, 2021 1:56 PM

Jul 2019
Yeah, idk what the hell happened, but that old shoujo anime was good shit. Hey at least there is a Fruits basket remake and some Natsume Yuujinchou.
Mar 7, 2021 1:59 PM

Jan 2021
well natsume's book of friends and fruits basket are still good anime (haven't watched them but they've got a good rep)
"不幸だ!" - Kamijou Touma
Check out my anime list by clicking here (it's public now).

Mar 7, 2021 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
Viln said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Ah, that's why nobody needs this demographic anymore. The target group is dead. Now it makes sense. xD
Mar 7, 2021 2:03 PM

Sep 2011
I never noticed how much this demographic has dried up, although I do think its worth noting how much what was typically associated with Shoujo has sort of branched outside of the demographic. Obviously not all of them were but its undeniable how much romance and romcoms made up a visible portion of the demographic, and just how much that genre has been prevalent especially in recent years. Like you could totally of convinced me hyper-successful series like Takagi or especially Kaguya-Sama could of been in a shoujo magazine

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 7, 2021 2:04 PM
Aug 2020
Yeah, I wish we got more Shoujo anime nowadays
Mar 7, 2021 2:06 PM

Feb 2016
That looks no worse than anything else we've gotten over the past 20 years.
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2021 2:07 PM
Dec 2017
You have oversaturation of isekai shonen jrpg style stories to blame.

Mar 7, 2021 2:08 PM

Apr 2020
Women became based and started consuming shounen/seinen
Mar 7, 2021 2:12 PM

May 2010
Crow_Black said:

Good - maybe well get more SAO, RE:Zero, and Log Horizon :)

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 2:14 PM

May 2018
Wow, they still haven't finished with that notorious Netflix Sailor Moon? I didn't know that.
Yeah, sadly, shoujo niche today is being replaced by fujo bait shows (you know, those shows with wooden bishounens, veiled yaoi hints and literally no girls)

Mar 7, 2021 2:15 PM

Jul 2020
Yeah shoujo will never recover, its been dead for so long

Mar 7, 2021 2:16 PM
Jul 2018
removed cause dum...........
removed-userMar 9, 2021 11:31 AM
Mar 7, 2021 2:16 PM

Apr 2015
Huh, that's interesting. I never noticed how scarce shoujo anime are these days. Then again, even though I'm part of the targeted demographic, I'm not a big fan of the genre. I just realized that Horimiya is categorized as a shounen, not a shoujo lol. At least there's Fruits Basket...but yeah, it would be nice if there were more shoujo anime adaptations, especially since there're so many great shoujo manga out there that have yet to have one.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Mar 7, 2021 2:27 PM
Feb 2014
This situation has been going on for years, it's nothing new, unfortunately.

I really wish they would adapt shoujo and josei for that matter as often as they do shounen and seinen!!!

Also there's anime that comes from light novels etc. that would qualify as shoujo/josei but doesn't have the tag, such as Kobato, Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi and Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu(Which does air in spring this year.) So there might be a little more taking this into account.

Though, the selection is still abysmal in comparison to shounen admittedly. :(
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Mar 7, 2021 2:29 PM

May 2016
Time for Yona Season 2 and Full Moon wo Sagashite: Brotherhood?

Time for Yona Season 2 and Full Moon wo Sagashite: Brotherhood.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 7, 2021 2:49 PM

Jan 2021
The new trash isekai anime's are to blame.
Mar 7, 2021 2:58 PM

Mar 2013
I wasn't aware that 7seeds could be considered shoujo shdjdkdls.

Either way it's nothing too shocking.
Shoujo /Josei or in general Anime targeted towards Women has never been adapted as much as Shounen /Seinen etc. It's very frustrated to think about but it's always been like this. Just think about how many Isekai Anime exist and then the number of that with female MC.

I guess it's also because a lot of Series would classify under Shoujo but they do not have the official Tag for it.
"You think your power has limits, I say it's limitless."

Mar 7, 2021 3:13 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

What happened? These are the start dates of shoujo anime between the start of 2020 to 2022 and these are just a handful.

There is especially no new stuff, only remakes (not that I complain) and nly a few established franchises.

Yeah RIP, there's even less magical girl shoujo coming out these days too. Not counting Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure, the new Tokyo Mew Mew has been the only shoujo magical girl show announced within these past couple of years...

You can really see how long it's been with web pages like these: https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/all?include_tags=218,191&sort=year&order=desc

Johan said:
Crow_Black said:

Nah, screw that. I want more shows about CGI hamsters shaped like vehicles cementing themselves in the top 200, let's goooooo

Zelkiiro said:
Ayyy nice to see a fellow Full Moon fan here, aw hell yeah I'd love a more faithful adaptation for it!!
Mar 7, 2021 3:16 PM

Jul 2020
The target audience nowadays is for people who like mediocre isekai, ya hate to see it :/
Mar 7, 2021 3:17 PM

May 2010
Fario-P said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Yeah RIP, there's even less magical girl shoujo coming out these days too. Not counting Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure, the new Tokyo Mew Mew has been the only shoujo magical girl show announced within these past couple of years...

You can really see how long it's been with web pages like these: https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/all?include_tags=218,191&sort=year&order=desc

Johan said:

Nah, screw that. I want more shows about CGI hamsters shaped like vehicles cementing themselves in the top 200, let's goooooo

Zelkiiro said:
Ayyy nice to see a fellow Full Moon fan here, aw hell yeah I'd love a more faithful adaptation for it!!

Damn why am I so popular :( LOL.

Thanks for the reply , but we already have had 4 cours of Re:Zero, 5 of Log Horizon, and ... even more than that of SAO :)

Hopefully that continues :*

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 3:19 PM

Sep 2018
As a big shoujo fan, it is really sad to see the lack of new ones being produced. And then, many of the ones that do come out aren't even that good.

I miss the days of the Ourans, Skip-Beats, Kaichou wa Maid-samas, Akatuski no Yona...Hopefully we will get a rise in popularity sometime soon.
Blanks.
Mar 7, 2021 3:27 PM

Jun 2014
Yeah, it's a shame that there's not much new shoujo anime coming out these days.

Instead, there's all these seinen adaptations that nobody cares for. I recently watched "Ace wo Nerae!," which was great, but I don't think we're gonna get gems like that in the future, sadly.

Mar 7, 2021 3:30 PM

Jul 2017
well there is Koi to Yobu adaptation (which is josei close enough) which was completely unexpected so you never know

plus there seems to be a gradual increase in shounen romcoms lately so you never know there might be a shoujo boom sson :P

JizzyHitler said:
I never noticed how much this demographic has dried up, although I do think its worth noting how much what was typically associated with Shoujo has sort of branched outside of the demographic. Obviously not all of them were but its undeniable how much romance and romcoms made up a visible portion of the demographic, and just how much that genre has been prevalent especially in recent years. Like you could totally of convinced me hyper-successful series like Takagi or especially Kaguya-Sama could of been in a shoujo magazine

idk I don't think Takagi would really be believable in a shoujo mag. tbh. like shoujo usually focuses on the more emotional side of things, but Takagi is literally just repetitive shits and giggles (which pretty much sums up shounen romcoms). Kaguya-sama would be believable though
Mar 7, 2021 3:40 PM

May 2018
Isn't 7 Seeds like josei - even less covered demographic?

And 7 Seeds being a genuine trash show which comes as even sadder tendency.
Mar 7, 2021 4:02 PM

Jan 2013
Goddamn, rip.

Aikatsu/PreCure we still in this biiiitch
Mar 7, 2021 4:07 PM
Feb 2016
Crow_Black said:

AGREE.
And more dozens of isekai to come smh
Mar 7, 2021 4:58 PM

Nov 2016
Especially sucks that excluding Fruits Basket(which is a remake) there are no shoujo romance anime anymore. No Josei either.

Big F

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 7, 2021 4:59 PM

Sep 2020
Good riddance, last show that was remotely entertaining was this...

https://myanimelist.net/anime/32899/Watashi_ga_Motete_Dousunda

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Mar 7, 2021 5:00 PM

Jan 2020
I haven't watched much shoujo anime in my life and even I've noticed this and it is pretty sad. Kind of like the dementia genre where a lot of shows had it back then but not as much in recent times

Mar 7, 2021 9:21 PM

Jun 2007
Shoujo hasn't been replaced by isekai or seinen or whatever pet peeve genre one might want to attack; when it comes to adapting shoujo works, there's been a shift from anime to live-action.
Mar 7, 2021 9:29 PM

Jan 2017
Man I just want my akayona s2 and an anime adaptation of taiyou no ie. Guess we're not really gonna get it huh? Shame.
Mar 7, 2021 10:39 PM

Jul 2020
Sad to see.It had a great potential.I'm currently watching Fruits Basket and it has a unique plot and am loving it.The only anime that's keeping it alive is Fruits Basket and now that it is finished the genre is completely dead jus like Mecha and Space will it be the same for Shounen?Jump sales are also decreasing so eventually the whole of anime will be dead and will not be a thing anymore in the future.Even though it is just getting popular.

Most of the females just watch anime for ships and not for the story and the reason why some of the shojos even got popular is because even males are watching it.
(Note;This is just me giving baseless theory
Viln said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Lmaaoooo

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Mar 7, 2021 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
alshu said:

7 seeds is josei? You sure? It isn't like any josei I've seen.. it's basically the anime version of Lost.

I wasn't much of a fan. Maybe it's "Josei" because the main protagonist is a middle-aged female? Or rather a young adult, I don't remember exactly how old she was. Then again, I didn't think it was about just the one person. Like it didn't seem to have a main protagonist, but it's been awhile since I watched it I don't remember everything about it.
Mar 7, 2021 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
spaesu said:
tbh think its cause most shoujo stuff is aimed at kids which is why people aren't watching it as much. on the other hand, a lot of "shounen" series aren't really super catered to kids

Quickly add the tone indicator "/j" because you're making a fool out of yourself bestie
Mar 7, 2021 10:55 PM

Dec 2018
Well, we've got Horimiya. It's pretty good.
Mar 7, 2021 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
EH_OVO_nct said:
spaesu said:
tbh think its cause most shoujo stuff is aimed at kids which is why people aren't watching it as much. on the other hand, a lot of "shounen" series aren't really super catered to kids

Quickly add the tone indicator "/j" because you're making a fool out of yourself bestie
? i wasnt really making a joke but i dont think i really portrayed what i was trying to say that well so i'll just try again... what im tryna say is shoujo is dying is because its just not that interesting and not as big fanbase anymore compared to other genres.
Mar 7, 2021 11:00 PM
Dec 2018
Content-wise, some of them are simply in disguise using the Shounen label:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/42897/Horimiya
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Mar 7, 2021 11:02 PM

Jul 2020
skysurf said:

Horimiya fits in the shonen category.It doesn't have generic looking handsome boys like how most shojos have.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Mar 7, 2021 11:02 PM

Dec 2018
skysurf said:

WTF I just realised Horimiya has a shounen rather than a shoujo tag... what even [insert jackie chan wtf meme]
Mar 7, 2021 11:03 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:
well there is Koi to Yobu adaptation (which is josei close enough) which was completely unexpected so you never know

plus there seems to be a gradual increase in shounen romcoms lately so you never know there might be a shoujo boom sson :P

JizzyHitler said:

idk I don't think Takagi would really be believable in a shoujo mag. tbh. like shoujo usually focuses on the more emotional side of things, but Takagi is literally just repetitive shits and giggles (which pretty much sums up shounen romcoms). Kaguya-sama would be believable though

Yeah no takagi is definitely a shonen fantasy. Same with Kaguya.

Shojo is like.. long skinny legs, long bright eyelashes.. and usually there's a bit of umm.. the monologue.. it comes from the girl.

Shojo is like.. Fushigi Yugi, Peach Girl, Kamisama Kiss, etc.

Shojo means that a girl can easily self-insert, rather than a guy. typically speaking anyways.

IDK what the deal is with the demographic, or whatever, i haven't really thought too much on it...but the first thing I thought of was that it seems like the male demographic is taking over the romance genre(and for the worse if you're asking me).

There are some newer shojo romance that I don't like... agree with being shojo, like for instance 3d konojo feels to me like a male fantasy, rather than the other way around. It doesn't make sense to me.
Mar 7, 2021 11:05 PM

Dec 2020
Girls nowadays are moving to a different demographic called Shounen since the time is changing. Shounen nowadays has more hot guys like Gojo, Giyuu, Hanako, Todoroki, etch.

Feels bad since I have a lot of memories in shoujo, especially manga since my friends and I have some past about recommending shoujo manga to each other. Good ol' times.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Mar 7, 2021 11:20 PM

Jul 2019
Everyone is watching shonen and seinen. lol
Life is a despicable endurance race
Mar 7, 2021 11:21 PM
Jul 2018
spaesu said:
EH_OVO_nct said:

? i wasnt really making a joke but i dont think i really portrayed what i was trying to say that well so i'll just try again... what im tryna say is shoujo is dying is because its just not that interesting and not as big fanbase anymore compared to other genres.

You have clearly never read a good shoujo before. It's sad to see someone calling it "not interesting" when shoujo is the most flexible genre out there. The only thing is lacks is EXPOSURE. I hate to pull this sentence but, read more & broaden your horizons.
Mar 7, 2021 11:23 PM
Dec 2018
Scordolo said:
skysurf said:

Horimiya fits in the shonen category.It doesn't have generic looking handsome boys like how most shojos have.

It certainly has the bishounen tropes. I think I dropped that series when the boys were comparing who had the prettiest colored tongue. Here's some random opinion from someone who loves that show.

I don't mind a wholesome Shoujo though, I still remember "Ore Monogatari" fondly.
Latest reviews: Mushoku Tensei P2 🤮 • Meikyuu Black Company 💰 • Tsukimichi 🌙
Mar 7, 2021 11:31 PM
Jul 2018
alshu said:

I partly agree with you since the animation was definitely tragic. But 7 seeds' manga is one of the best post-apocalyptic survival stories of all time. My heart sinks everytime I see a negative comment about it because I know that it got completely bungled and people are never going to read the manga.
Mar 7, 2021 11:34 PM

Jul 2020
@spaesu saying Shoujo is aimed at kids is just plain stupid.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

6 by deg »»
55 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 6 hours ago

26 by Catalano »»
12 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Yesterday

22 by deg »»
13 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 1 hour ago

12 by zoeanime13 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.