Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 22, 2019 9:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There's definitely serious competition in the koto world. Once again, we're setting performances from talents that made the episode very tense.

Even Satowa seems to notice their rivals. Hell, Takezou's koto club has a lot of work to do and improve themselves if they want to stand a chance.
Jun 22, 2019 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
Really shined with the OST. Can't wait for next weeks finally, hopefully it'll be a good one
Jun 22, 2019 10:18 AM

Apr 2010
Some interesting developments this episode about several characters.
The teacher being a music prodigy was interesting tho he didn't seem to enjoy it himself, this does explain his knowledge tho.
Also the other clubs this time where interesting.

I hope the wound won't interfere with the play, but seeing the cliffhanger it probably will.
Jun 22, 2019 11:13 AM

Apr 2016
They just introduced smaller more compact and more louder version of Chika, something i thought it's impossible, also the flashback of sensei was very interesting, i knew hes some kind of a music genius or something. The ending tho, don't scare me like that.
Jun 22, 2019 11:14 AM
Sep 2015
Out of context screenshot
Jun 22, 2019 11:26 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
The performance of Meiryo really was quite spectacular. Houzuki's way of raising morale within the club after seeing them though sure was amusing. The argument with the short high school student sure was a barrel of laughs. Looks like apart from Meiryo they just found another rival as well. While their speed was impressive the link between the players and the contrast between their attitudes only served to enhance them an effect that can be seen in the audiences reaction. Himesaka's performance was like a focused spear that was stabbing directly at Meiryo's heart. Looks like the strong performances by the other schools really had quite the impact on the club with Hiro in particular being the most affected. Though thankfully the Koto's were protected i hope that Chika's injury does not adversely affect the clubs performance next ep. Overall a solid ep that while doing well in showing just how strong their opponents are also served to both introduce new rivals while expanding upon others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2019 11:49 AM

May 2015
As if there wasn't enough stress already!

Pretty nice episode overall, it was interesting to learn more about the characters. I don't think our club has any chances to win but I still hope they'll play their best pouring all the heart into music.
Jun 22, 2019 12:53 PM

Sep 2011
The cour is ending, but this isn't slowing down at all! It's not Kudou's fault that he couldn't see Sentarou or that he thought he was in middle school, he is very tiny, but I can totally understand why he snapped at Kudou. xD I thought we were going to see a full team of boys playing the koto, since they are an all-boys school just like Himesaka is an all-girls one, but it seems that despite having their own club, the students from there are as prejudiced as people like Takezou's brother. A pity, but they were one interesting, and funny pair! And I guess that the laid-back one from that other school is interesting too.

I also liked to see more of Ousuke here. It seems he's pretended for so long, and built those walls so high that he can no longer connect with Asano as he would truly like to. Teasing her and asking for a kiss like that, only to look really sad as he saw her smiling at their advisor. I guess they are close physically, but they might be far from each other emotionally, more than when they were kids. Welp, I also liked that Tetsuki went to see Kudou and the others perform, I missed him. And he even took Kudou's aunt too, and I liked how she said that he is his guardian, it certainly feels like it. xD And we were graced with Takinami's backstory at last. I think his father had the right approach with him. He tried to let his talents and interests grow freely, but his friends ended up pushing his son too much, burying his passion and enthusiasm with pressure and obligations before he could decide for himself if becoming a composer was what he really wanted. And it's really sad, they drained what they could until he didn't feel like doing anything anymore, but I guess our koto team might just be what he needs to revive his flame. I mean, he is already helping them and taking his position as an advisor more seriously, and that's something.

Welp, the episode ended on one worrying note. Kurusu was so nervous, being her first time performing for an audience and all, that she ended up letting one of the kotos fall, and Kudou ended up hurting his hand to protect both the kotos and Houzuki who just threw herself in between them to try and stop them from crashing into one another. I'm not sure how heavy a koto is, they can't be that heavy, but I'm sure she could've got really hurt so I'm glad Kudou did what he did, but now I hope he will be able to play well. Oh, and I loved that he entrusted his koto to her when they were carrying them, it goes to show how much he trusts her and it's cute.
Jun 22, 2019 1:29 PM

Jan 2018
different schools being introduced is quite rare especially multiple.

and HOLY SHIT

hurting your hand is the worst possible thing that could ever happpen if you're gonna be performing
Jun 22, 2019 1:35 PM

Dec 2016
I wasn't expecting Hozuki to switch her mood so quickly ^^; No-one can mess with her or she'll bite XD Poor Chika hahaha

The other performances were great! Everyone have their own way at playing the koto and they do a great on that ;)

Nice work, Kurusu... How is Chika supposed to perform with a hurt hand? Hopefully he can recover by then.

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jun 22, 2019 2:05 PM

Oct 2012
So he sprained his hand which he used as a support, probably hit the ground too fast in bad angle... wonder how he would be able to play like that.

And Kurusu failed yet again.. not with dropping the koto but with the fact she kept her feelings in yet again.

Kinda bummer they made another flashback episode but as the show feels really slow right now but at least their teacher's backstory wasn't half bad - seems like he would be able to conduct some new parts for them in the future, exactly fit for them.
Jun 22, 2019 2:08 PM

Mar 2017
Ah crap, Chika's hand... what the bloody hell is he gonna do?! Love that he dived to save Hozuki though 😍

I am insta-attached to the little guy! As a fellow tiny person i relate to him so much!

I can't believe that next week is the last episode! This is my weekly source of feel good after a long, stressful week... what am i gonna do without it?!
Jun 22, 2019 3:25 PM
Mar 2015
After all that prep and anticipation our boy injuries his hand saving the kotos and the girl too
Jun 22, 2019 4:33 PM

Apr 2018
Characters are nice and all, but please, stop with those boring flashback scenes about backstory of random characters...
Jun 22, 2019 6:37 PM
Jul 2017
Awesome story as always. Chika needs to put that hand in ice right away to stop swelling. If he's used to getting in fights maybe he can play through the pain.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Jun 22, 2019 8:03 PM

May 2013
Problems after problems and another Koto player with a sad backstory Chika is injured but I don't think it'll hold him back.
Jun 22, 2019 8:08 PM
Feb 2012
when long running shounen does sad backstories all the time the community hates them but a series like this and it's okay
hypocrites
Jun 22, 2019 10:31 PM

Feb 2018
That smol guy was awesome similar personality to chika

Nice that Chika dived in to save Hozuki, he sprained his hand hopefully it doesn't hold him back

That preview scared me, wtf will happen
Jun 22, 2019 10:39 PM

May 2014
I’m so sad next weeks episode is the last until fall
Oscar and Andre deserved better
Jun 22, 2019 11:36 PM

Apr 2011
Oh, man. Chika got his hands injured :((

Can't wait for the last episode of this season!

Jun 23, 2019 1:21 AM

Dec 2015
I liked the background with the teacher. Was as I had expected it. Always felt like he at least liked to support the club - even though he seemed more passive about it. (When he did stuff that made the others try harder. With his non intereste challenging attitude.)

There I thought already he might have some background with music. Otherwise he wouldn't have stayed with the club.

100 percent sure I was when he helped the other guy at the training camp. Didn't expect the aunt of Chika to know him and give us the reveal and info on his background. Wondering the other guys get that info - and how they react.

The guy from the other school still up (after your main chars) might be interesting. Might be another surprised no one expexted. He seems a bit similar in personality to the teacher. (Wants to listen. Does not want to listen to the others that aim to be too pro and likes his own way and chilling outside.)

Maybe he even sucks at fitting in in his school/group and the teacher of your main chars and he are getting in contact and the teacher recruits him to switch schools. :D
Jun 23, 2019 1:26 AM

Jun 2016
I don t see the problem with guys playing koto a guy can be very good at sewing clothes or hairdresser? I don t see a problem is people and humanity this rotten they look down and make fun of people of guys who are skill at so call girls job?? I can see why little guy get defensive and good he try very hard. I am not suprise If people like this exist in real world.

That lazy guy mio and Takinami interest me hope too know more about them. I think Chika will be alright or he might screw up his perform will depend on him

Man this series is the most enjoying anime for me in this season.

I would like too see Isaki kudo interact with Takinami. Want too see Takinami even recognise her lol.

All main characters as usual the most enjoying too see them. Best of the season for me.
PrideRoyalIvyJun 23, 2019 1:31 AM

Jun 23, 2019 1:59 AM

Jan 2015
This show is so overly melodramatic, and spliced with an almost ADHD level of editing and buffoonery, it’s almost hard to watch at times. I mean, I just love it when the characters are constantly bickering and screaming every line of dialogue at each other, in almost every single scene. For what is, I’m sure, supposed to be comedic effect. But, its neither engaging or funny, to me. Not to mention the fact that they all have essentially the same backstory; They’ve all been either made fun of, bullied or mistreated. And they all just happen to have this immense level of musical talent, which brings them together. Except whenever someone or something gets in the way of it. Which happens, a lot. And then is almost always set right again with such a level of haste, it’s unbelievable.

Its one saving grace for me has been the koto music. It’s meticulous and melodic, to an awe-inspiring degree. It is easily what’s kept me watching, even through all of the eye-roll material. Which is pretty much any time they aren’t actually playing said music. I had been hoping for something a bit closer to ‘Hibike! Euphonium’, when I first began watching it. But instead, it feels like the series is running at 2x speed, most of the time. And like it probably would’ve benefited from being a slower paced, 24 episode series, to really have been able to flesh out all of the characters. As, to this point, I really haven’t connected with any of them. None of them has ever really resonated with me, at all. With the exception however, of their club advisor, Takinami.

This episode marks the first time that I was really somewhat drawn in by a character’s backstory. Namely Takinami’s. The concept of his being a musical prodigy, so much so that he could compose operatic compositions with ease, in childhood. And yet, wants nothing to do with the actual composing, but rather just prefers the freedom of listening to it. All the while being surrounded by those who would wish to push him in a direction he doesn’t actually want any part of; I found that all wholly interesting. To the point that I wish this entire series was about him. Or at the very least, that he had a few whole episodes dedicated to him. But, sadly, I feel like that’ll just end up being another in a line of shortcomings that I personally find with this series.
sXebluesJun 23, 2019 2:56 AM
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Jun 23, 2019 2:37 AM

Jul 2017
Wow this episode opens up more than what the manga offered.

First, the childish rivalry between schools. Tad is a nice comedic touch.

Plus the mesmerising plays by the different high-calibre schools.

Second, TOTALLY wasn't expecting Takinami-sensei's backstory. A prodigy at young, tired of writing the same music over and over again. It's no wonder his cold personality trickles down to his teacher stage.

And damn, Chika got his able hand injured.

Not only am I afraid of the final episode of the 1st cour, just praying that they don't screw this up. Because we have another season to go.
KANLen09Jun 23, 2019 2:40 AM
Jun 23, 2019 7:10 AM

Feb 2011
sXeblues said:
This show is so overly melodramatic, and spliced with an almost ADHD level of editing and buffoonery, it’s almost hard to watch at times. I mean, I just love it when the characters are constantly bickering and screaming every line of dialogue at each other, in almost every single scene. For what is, I’m sure, supposed to be comedic effect. But, its neither engaging or funny, to me. Not to mention the fact that they all have essentially the same backstory; They’ve all been either made fun of, bullied or mistreated. And they all just happen to have this immense level of musical talent, which brings them together. Except whenever someone or something gets in the way of it. Which happens, a lot. And then is almost always set right again with such a level of haste, it’s unbelievable.

Its one saving grace for me has been the koto music. It’s meticulous and melodic, to an awe-inspiring degree. It is easily what’s kept me watching, even through all of the eye-roll material. Which is pretty much any time they aren’t actually playing said music. I had been hoping for something a bit closer to ‘Hibike! Euphonium’, when I first began watching it. But instead, it feels like the series is running at 2x speed, most of the time. And like it probably would’ve benefited from being a slower paced, 24 episode series, to really have been able to flesh out all of the characters. As, to this point, I really haven’t connected with any of them. None of them has ever really resonated with me, at all. With the exception however, of their club advisor, Takinami.

This episode marks the first time that I was really somewhat drawn in by a character’s backstory. Namely Takinami’s. The concept of his being a musical prodigy, so much so that he could compose operatic compositions with ease, in childhood. And yet, wants nothing to do with the actual composing, but rather just prefers the freedom of listening to it. All the while being surrounded by those who would wish to push him in a direction he doesn’t actually want any part of; I found that all wholly interesting. To the point that I wish this entire series was about him. Or at the very least, that he had a few whole episodes dedicated to him. But, sadly, I feel like that’ll just end up being another in a line of shortcomings that I personally find with this series.

I'm sure you're one of those people that also didn't enjoy Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. In that case this anime is simply not for you friend, why force yourself to watch it ?
Jun 23, 2019 7:13 AM

Aug 2013
So their advisor was a music prodigy.

Hope the hand injury won't interfere with Chika's performance, though it might in the end.

Jun 23, 2019 8:20 AM

May 2017
This has to be the most underrated show of the season, the drama is one of the best and plot is pretty good. Now with the Sensei's past being showed it ticks all the boxes. Pretty solid imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 23, 2019 9:10 AM
Jan 2018
sXeblues said:

There Will be a Second cour in october and it will explain a little bit more of takinami sensei backstory.
Jun 23, 2019 1:35 PM

Jun 2015
oh boy oh boy an injury at the worst time
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 23, 2019 4:28 PM

Jan 2016
When I first started the episode, I was wondering if they'd run out of budget or something because it felt like they were skimping on the animation. Then we got to the performances and I remembered "oh yeah, they're putting it all in there to make these shine more", which it absolutely did.

Otherwise, great episode. Liked seeing the advisor's history, although do wish we just got to let the mystery of his past build for longer, but still was compelling. My one major complaint is that bit at the end with the Kotos and Chika's hand. Like, the drama with them just being nervous and going up against two of the best schools in the nation was compelling enough, why do we need to add this injury? I really hope it turns out to be a non-issue.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Jun 23, 2019 4:34 PM

Jan 2015
Hatsuyuki said:
I'm sure you're one of those people that also didn't enjoy Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. In that case this anime is simply not for you friend, why force yourself to watch it ?

You’d be surprised, then... As I quite enjoyed Your Lie in April. I discussed it at length on my Youtube channel a couple of years back now, after it had been recommended to me. Even while it too was somewhat melodramatic in places, it definitely stands as being superior to this series, in my mind. As is Piano no Mori, which also played on the outline of musical performance, and the drama between competing and allied characters that often accompanies it. I’ve not been forcing myself to watch this show, all told. It’s had a few, rare moments, that were enough to lift my hopes for the series. All of the rest of the time, sadly, it hasn’t lived up to those moments. And it’s too fast, too crazed at times, rather than being a straight-laced — calm, to put it another way — overall story. I maintain that it could’ve been paced, and structured, a lot better.
Jun 23, 2019 4:38 PM

Jan 2015
F2k65 said:
There Will be a Second cour in october and it will explain a little bit more of takinami sensei backstory.

Many thanks for the heads up on that... I hadn’t been aware of its being two cour. I’ll definitely have to give some thought to picking up with it again, come October. But, I’m glad that it’s an actual option, for if I choose to.
Jun 23, 2019 8:08 PM

Nov 2011
The Satowa and Chika ship continues to sail. When he offered to carry the 17 string Koto and then protected her from the Koto falling on her...Chika is the man!!!

I liked how intently Takezou was watching the other schools performances as well. But man next weeks episode is going to hurt I feel. Chika manning through the pain...everyone has been flawless for far I feel like they will mess up T_T
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 26, 2019 12:03 PM

May 2016
Loved the backstory of Suzuka sensei, i knew he was not normal.
Jun 27, 2019 2:45 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
Holy crap! Backstory & character development everywhere! 😳
Oh and some music too 😅
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Jun 28, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2018
well then it looks like aside from Satowa , Chika's also met his match with that small but terrible guy from another school.

So, their adviser was a musical prodigy, too bad , he doesn't give a damn about his students.
Jun 30, 2019 5:55 AM

Mar 2009
Oh, man. That sucks so much. Poor Chika. Curious to see what's going to happen in the next episode.
Jun 30, 2019 8:33 AM

Jul 2017
So...following the events of last episode.

Chika's hurt, but that doesn't stop his resolve. And this is overheard by Takezo, which by all accounts, let him continue.

Looks like there's more to Takinami-sensei than the prior episode before, that wasn't enough. His actions, his stuck-up attitude, everything.

And looks like their rival schools have felt their presence, and looking forward to their performance.

Unfortunately due to Chika's injury, their performance piece varys all over the place. But with persistence and determination that gives me goosebumps at every turn in note and everyone's differing levels of play that compliments each other...

AT THIS THUS FAR...cliffhanger!? Wow what a way to spoil the ending into the 2nd cour, but oh well.

2nd Cour in Fall, here I come!
Jul 1, 2019 10:09 PM

Jul 2016
Leaving the "I saved the girl but hurt myself in the process just a few minutes before our important event" chicle aside, it was another interesting episode.

Sentarou really impressed me with his skill if I'm honest. Now, I really hope I can see him performing again in the future.

And of course, I also hope they don't make a fuss about Chika being hurt because it would be more laughable than anything for the "delinquent" to not be able to play just because of a bruise... but we'll see what will happen in the next episode.

P.S.: Ok seriously, is that weird for guys to play Koto? Since this show likes to exaggerate things I wonder if this is actually a reality in Japan...
Jul 2, 2019 8:17 PM

Nov 2011
This series has too much drama, I will be pissed if they are failed because of Chika's injury ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 2, 2019 8:32 PM
Jan 2019
It can not be, Kudo's hand is injured. I hope you do well in your presentation 😓.

Points to comment:
1. How sad, I thought that Ousuki (de Meryo) was still with her childhood sweetheart, but it turns out that she is in love with the club's counselor 😢.
2. The scene of Chika arguing with the short guy from Eidai High School, Miya Sentaurou, was very funny. LOL 😂.
The short guy and his clubmate played really well. How fast !.
3.Wow! It was a great surprise to know that the counselor of the Koto Club was a composer musical prodigy. I understand why he thinks that way about music linked to fame, I also think the same. "Music, once beautiful and infinitely free ... suddenly became rigid and boring, music is better when it is genuinely enjoyed."
4.Takezo has started to act like a true leader, after the recent episodes. I'm glad :).
Jul 5, 2019 5:25 PM
Apr 2016
Those were some brilliant performances, for sure. The ending was rather tragic, Kudo's hand got hurt, so, how will he perform? He can't.
Aug 17, 2019 1:01 AM

Jun 2009
This is so dumb...
Aug 19, 2019 10:52 AM

Dec 2016
I'm liking the backstories and motivations of all the other teams, if you aren't somewhat rooting for the opposing teams in these shows then they are probably poorly written lmao, other than some cases
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 18, 2019 11:42 PM

Mar 2018
Ah there we go
Sensei's backstory. So he didn't lie when he said he never played anything before.
He's just a genius.

Makes me wonder that no one, especially Houzuki, never heard of him before.. Well I guess she is more focused on the Koto and not music as a whole

And there we go with the classic "accident right before a performance"
Well that's not a good sign for the final episode

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 17, 2019 4:15 PM

Apr 2012
Oh wow, even Takinami has a backstory now? Guess he'll get character development in the future too...
Oct 28, 2019 9:23 AM

Apr 2018
Oh dear. Looks like the tension really made some of them nervous and caused some problems.
Dec 30, 2019 1:51 PM

Aug 2017
I'm sad that Chika sprained his hand which he used as a support. As always, Kurusu is ruining everything. By the way, I think that this show is overly melodramatic at this point just like @sXeblues said.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 6, 2020 10:01 AM

Jul 2015
I've changed my opinion on the advisor seeing the last few episodes, he isn't really bad but more too blunt and not caring about anything. The club is pretty lucky to have him as advisor even if he doesn't use all his talent to help them.

May 17, 2020 6:50 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Chika's hand is injured ? I hope he will be fine, I think he is going to have problems for playing koto unfortunately
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2019

126 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 4:11 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2019

47 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2019

57 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 9, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2019

54 by Alex_TheForest »»
Mar 3, 2:34 PM

Poll: » Kono Oto Tomare! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2019

64 by Alex_TheForest »»
Feb 24, 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.