Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2018 4:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
From the moment they met, it felt like this match was inevitable. All the buildup led to this final battle between Yuuri and Junk Dog (Joe).

The fight itself was nice although actually not my favorite despite being the climax. (My favorite is still Junk Dog vs. Agaraki) However, the episode did protray a more realistic way of fighting with no gears on both fighters.

I was rooting for Junk Dog the whole time since he set the bar himself to fight such a powerful opponent like Yuuri.

A solid ending to the climatic fight. 8/10, one of my favorite anime of the Spring Season.
Aug 8, 2018 5:06 AM
May 2018
This show jumped the shark on episode 6 after that it was downhll and the ending was a letdown imo. Between rapping kids and makeshift operating rooms the show lost its gritty realism and shifted its focus from guts to feels, which is a big no-no for me. Overall my rating is 7.
Aug 8, 2018 8:22 AM

Feb 2013
The fight was really disappointing, it was too rushed.
I didn't feel any emotion from it, at least nobody died.
Aug 8, 2018 9:18 AM

Aug 2017
The most disappointing anime of the season and, maybe, the year. What happened here? It had such a strong start with tension, characters with a big presence, good animation, very interesting plot and OST. First 1-3 were amazing. Unfortunately, the fights were pretty lame, the MC is just a plot device without a past that gave him importance. Also, Joe have a lot of plot armor. The side characters have some personality but they can't much more. The ending with Joe dancing!! is garbage. It seemed like a strong AOTS (and maybe AOTY) contended in the beginning of the season. 2/5 for the episode. 5/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 8, 2018 10:05 AM

Dec 2015
Not the ending I was expecting tbh, but it was still good. Overall, this anime was a fucking blast to watch, and I loved almost every second of it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 8, 2018 1:02 PM

Dec 2016
This show was fucking amazing!!!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 8, 2018 10:39 PM

May 2012
I personally expected a bit more from the final blow of that epic fight, but well I do always like to see some future shots like a couple years in the future like they did here. So that sure was nice.

In general a very lovely and enjoyable boxing anime with some really intense matches and an interesting setting and characters.

Quite loved marathoning it and well to be honest I still have to give to original Ashita no Joe a watch as I already saw various references in this one without even seeing that series.

But all in all it was pretty solid!
Aug 9, 2018 11:08 AM

Sep 2011
I don't even know what to say, but I guess that I will start by saying that I'm satisfied, I wish we had more, but I am.

I wanted to know what was the goal of Yukiko by designing and pushing foward that gear project, I doubt it was only to get even richer, but I guess we will never know. Also the title was born to die and for a second I thought Yuuri did die, but he didn't and I'm glad. It was sad to see him figthing without seconds even if it was his choice, but the way Sachio helped him and the relationship that transceded the ring between Yuuri and Joe and Sachio was wholesome.

Also considering that they did open a gym, I guess that the prize money was used on it and that Fujimaki was so impressed that he did leave them alone. That or the prize was so big they paid him and still bought the land and built it.

Well, I loved every single bit of this and I'm sad to see it go, I will be looking forward to the special.
Aug 15, 2018 9:46 AM
Dec 2014
Since the anime took a lot of idea from Ashita no joe it's impossible for me to not compare it to Ashita.The grim reality ,the characters buildup and the relation between them were all better portrayed by Ashita no joe then Megalo Box.The only think that Megalo did as good as Ashita is the childs.
Also I had a problem with the fast pacing it's making Joe growth not realistic.
Overall I give it 7/10.
Aug 22, 2018 12:27 AM

Jun 2013
Honestly, this episode felt so rushed. It wasn't as exciting as Aragaki v Gearless Joe. They were both gearless in this match but I was like meh. Yuuri ended up in a wheelchair because he wasn't used to fighting gearless after he had modifications on his body.

I'm glad Nanbu has reopened his gym! I hope he gets more students. Also, who knows? There might be a season 2 of Megalo box.

7/10 overall for the entire series because the last episode was a little underwhelming.
臭い-
Aug 23, 2018 4:59 PM

Mar 2009
Thought this show was great, but in the end I was a little disappointed we didn't learn more about Yuuri. We only got vague suggestions of his past.

Nanbu was my favourite character.

9/10
Sep 11, 2018 1:53 AM

Oct 2013
Finale was okay but a bit lacking something, not as much as excitement as i expected but it was still good fight nonetheless. So Yuri became paralyzed or something after the fight or what ? cuz he clearly said it has been a year since their fight and he's sitting on a wheelchair, Yuri took the fight like a man he wanted it to be a fair fight with the consequences of losing everything he had, much respect for him tho,

It's like there were talking with their fists, kinda heartwarming to see Yuri and Joe getting along together with the group but i still bad for Yuri, i mean why whould he go that far for a fight ? i think it is his nature as a naturally born fighter.

Overall score solid 7/10
Oct 1, 2018 1:15 PM

Jul 2013
Started off as a rlly promising show but it all went down hill after episode 2.
Oct 9, 2018 6:18 PM

Sep 2018
I'll echo most opinions here, for me the first 5 episodes were really interesting, afterwards it got a little mundane. I still enjoyed the watch but it felt like most everything was already very clearly planned out. I was really really hoping for more of a backstory for Sachio and a stronger emphasis on his and Joe's relationship, but the moments we did get were pretty solid. I loved how in the end Joe and Yuuri realized they were really after the same thing and bonded over it. Not many stakes, not much to lose, but a fun, feel good ride all the same. For a very weak Spring season, this is one of the strongest new series in my opinion.

Nov 11, 2018 9:26 AM

Nov 2016
fun series, but bad logic.

IMHO gears are like bicycles, theres only so much hope a guy can run faster than a bike. underdogs should definitely be a bit more realistic. i probably wouldve been happier if joe didnt make it in to the main tourny.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Nov 14, 2018 6:47 PM

Jul 2013
Spent the entire series building up to the climatic showdown to deliver that final battle? Well damn, too bad but it didnt do for me.
Dec 1, 2018 4:05 PM

Feb 2016
I watched it all in one day, and I really enjoyed it. The last four episodes felt very rushed which was kind of a let down. Still a recommendable anime though.
Dec 28, 2018 7:25 AM

Nov 2018
This episode was a real let down to me. The fight between Yuri and Joe had so much potential as well.. it just didn't live up to the hype

I wish we got more episodes! Everything felt a little too rushed to me, I would've liked to see longer fights and more build up/backstory to the characters.

But I still loved Megalo Box, great series overall

''Living a simple and happy life makes this world the most fun.'' - Turtle Hermit
Dec 29, 2018 1:03 AM

Apr 2016
so glad yuuri and joe are married now, hope yukiko is doing well
moe moe ichijou seiya

Jan 18, 2019 5:10 PM

May 2016
The whole Gear extraction operation left Yuri horribly scarred but it looked cool in a way. Now both of them are fighting on equal terms~ Nanbu was so proud of Joe having the time of his life that he started crying from both his unusable eyes.

It's funny that all the fights that involved Gear didn't last as near as 13 rounds and it's usually the ones who wore it are the ones who get knocked down. They could've ended it in the ring where Joe wins and the all celebrate like all the Hollywood boxing movies but they went for the cliffhanger timeskip approach that showed Yuri's legs had given in to the exhaustion and Joe took the prize money and retired as a Megalo Boxer instead which was fine. That final shot of the fight was gorgeous though ♡

Jan 22, 2019 3:39 PM
Jun 2014
Well, this show sure had it's charm, too bad it was disappointing in the end. Joe was nothing but a punching bag with both plot armor and plot punches. He didn't come across as a competent fighter at all. Too fucking shame. And what about the plot itself? It was so paper thin it's almost laughable. Even at the end i couldn't figure out why Joe was gunning so hard for Yuri, and what happens afterwards? Nothing.. It doesn't explain anything. It didn't explain his past, his debt and what happens afterwards. It's such a shame that this anime was so old school and charming, yet fell apart at the seams.
Jan 22, 2019 9:57 PM
Nov 2017
This was Rocky meets Cowboy Bebop

See You Pit Cowboy...
Natehog007Jan 22, 2019 10:05 PM
Jan 22, 2019 10:04 PM
Nov 2017
Kajo_Senpai69 said:
The whole Gear extraction operation left Yuri horribly scarred but it looked cool in a way. Now both of them are fighting on equal terms~ Nanbu was so proud of Joe having the time of his life that he started crying from both his unusable eyes.

It's funny that all the fights that involved Gear didn't last as near as 13 rounds and it's usually the ones who wore it are the ones who get knocked down. They could've ended it in the ring where Joe wins and the all celebrate like all the Hollywood boxing movies but they went for the cliffhanger timeskip approach that showed Yuri's legs had given in to the exhaustion and Joe took the prize money and retired as a Megalo Boxer instead which was fine. That final shot of the fight was gorgeous though ♡

Well I think that becase neither of them had gear, their punches were much weaker. both being great boxers, they were both pretty durable, and had plenty of stamina.

I would also mention that Mohammed Ali beat Chuck Wepner with seconds to go in the fifteenth round. It is actually interesting to note that Joe's boxing form is very similar to Ali's, using stamina and agility to wear his opponents until they error.
Jan 25, 2019 7:07 PM
Nov 2017
dasaklim said:
Natehog007 said:
This was Rocky meets Cowboy Bebop

See You Pit Cowboy...

What a cheesy statement, lol. To begin with, Cowboy Bebop got nothing in common with this other than the look of mc and some aesthetics. Not to mention, this is a tribute to another boxing anime/manga, namely Ashita no Joe, so if anything this would be Ashita no Joe meets Cowboy Bebop.

it's more than the look and asthetics. Joe's personality is nearly identical to that of spike. the way he walks and talks, the cool confidence, it's all there.

the comparison to Rocky makes even more sense. they're both about nobodies who make a living in less than prestigious ways with questionable legality. Both believe themselves capable of becoming the champion if only they had the chance.

Now I have never seen Ashita no Joe, but if Megalo Box was paying tribute to that show, then Ashita no Joe was probably paying tributes to Rocky.

Regardless of the intent, I stand by my earlier statement. Megalo Box clearly has ma lot in common with both.
Mar 9, 2019 12:44 AM

Jun 2012
Thought the ending was fine, emphasized more on the championship not really mattering and it just came down to 2 fighters that really just wanted to beat one another.

All in all a pretty cool show. I see people commenting that the show had a great start and went downhill over its run which is surprising since I am of the complete opposite mind lol. First 3 episodes were definitely my least favorites and it wasn't until the fourth episode that i actually started to enjoy this. Rough around the edges and the actual fights themselves weren't very good but it had heart. 7/10
EternalSerenityMar 9, 2019 12:59 AM
Mar 15, 2019 12:54 PM

Jan 2010
Pretty anticlimactic for such a grand build-up. Felt like a mid season episode.
Mar 23, 2019 10:50 PM

Mar 2014
Weird super-happy ending. I honestly expected Joe to die based on how he let himself get the shit beat out of him in every match. Guess that's why he was dancing at the end because he knew what we were thinking and got to keep his life AND win the tournament.
Apr 3, 2019 6:02 AM
Jul 2011
If you've been fortunate enough to have seen Hajime no ippo then I can understand the appeal of megalobox. Its essentially a boxing anime with extra steps. Maybe I should have read the manga, but to be honest I'm like the concept more than the actual product. Megalobox starts strong , but eventually turns Into a predictable bag of cliches, where Joe always gets back up. I was actually shocked that the final episode skipped the final result and moments of the match and moved on to a "One Year Later", it leaves you with more questions than answers . Overall the animation, ost, and art won me over. Watch Ippo if you want a really good anime , watch Megalobox if you are pressed for time. 7 out of 10
Apr 24, 2019 12:10 PM
May 2016
Recomendo para que assintam, tendo ou não próteses (gears)...rss
May 17, 2019 7:21 PM

Oct 2012
Campanela said:
so glad yuuri and joe are married now, hope yukiko is doing well

This.

I think they decided to focus more on how Joe and Yuuri found their kindred spirit in the end. The winner didn't really matter - although of course we were cheering for Joe - since they were fighting like bros. This actually reminded me of Chihayafuru; the way it was soothing to the soul. Really happy with the timeskip, loved seeing the friendships and everyone living happily ever after. This was a really entertaining show for me, and I like how they didn't handle it in a "WIN! BLOOD!" way. It felt really down to earth somehow. I very much liked it. Thanks for my couple being happy with their dog
Jul 2, 2019 12:43 PM

May 2009
I really loved the show. It has its flaws like any other show, but for some reason this show really did very good on me. 8/10 for me!
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 14, 2019 7:02 PM
Jul 2019
that was a pretty wholesome ending, didn't expect that and the way they concluded the fight was great as well thought the fights could have executed better Overall, I really liked this anime & i had a blast watching it. Overall show - 8/10
Sep 1, 2019 12:36 AM
Nov 2016
It was a mediocre anime with bad animation, it had a good start but it started going down hill.

I also wanted that mafia boss to die or get mutilated or something, he was plain annoying and he barely suffered in the anime, he was simply being a bully with all the psychological threats about murdering them, seriously, what a fucking cunt.

6/10
Sep 15, 2019 9:48 PM

Dec 2015
Well, the ending did its best, I suppose.

4/5

OVERALL:
An overall stylish but barebone commemoration of Ashita no Joe that couldn't compete with its ancestor because of its non-existing characters and story (making it boring after a while).
Also, a visual hommage to all those early 2000 evening/night TV series.

Score: 5.5/10 I feel bad but it's like AnJ stripped from too many things under a 2000 paint coat.
Sep 27, 2019 7:02 AM

Mar 2015
This was pretty great, goes to show that the height of this sport is ironically still good old pure boxing!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 20, 2019 12:03 PM

Feb 2018
Kodomo_R said:
Pretty anticlimactic for such a grand build-up. Felt like a mid season episode.

My words exactly. Other matches felth more intense than this I believe its because it prolongued way to many rounds. There was no weight to each punch the first 12 rounds.
Didnt hate it, but truly disappointed me.
Jan 17, 2020 8:37 AM

Jun 2012
Definitely the better version of ashita no joe. The old version's Joe is so unlikeable. I find it so hard to watch the old one because of it. Been stuck on like ep 11 forever. This Joe tho. Such a good MC. Binged the fuck out of these 13 eps. And this version's Rikiishi is just as awesome as the old one. And the pride Yuuri displays. Reminded me of the live action joe movie where Rikishi changes weight classes to fight Joe and has to struggle to lose all that weight. So touching. Really like the dystopia-esque world they live in too. Wish I couldve seen a bit more of the mechaniccs behind the gears. And I just wish they wouldve added in a small scene with the mafia where the boss wouldve said the prize moneys mine while he squishes the eye. Just to give it a bit more realism. I mean an eye for the bets they lost back in the underground was fine but in exchange for the bets they lost here? That loss shouldve devastated them financially and they shouldve lost their ties with the other gangs under them that bet on joe losing. But besides that amazing show.
May 6, 2020 11:19 PM

May 2013
This series had its funny moments like when Sachio broke out into song XD and when Yuri was all beat up for 5 whole days, then sweat sparkled after the pain was over hahahah.

7/10
Predictable anime, but still good nonetheless.

Love Nanbu-san's guts for gouging out his eye. Pretty emotional to see him feel the floor of the ring and cry TTATT he's a gr8 trainer when he's not being selfish lulz

Omg I didn't recognize Mikio at first LOL. His hair looks SO much better in this style. Makes him more attractive overall.

We love a dancing Joe <3

Yuri is so husbando and so is Aragaki <33333
I'm glad they didn't kill off Yuri LOL. They were talking about death and I was like wot.

Gratz to Gearless Joe for the win C: ya did good, m8. An inspiration to those who start at the bottom for sure.
May 28, 2020 11:47 AM

Jul 2015
Really Mediocre anime overall. Started off with so much promise, and I could have forgiven the weak story and characters if the fights were interesting to watch, but they weren't.

5/10
Jun 25, 2020 3:43 PM

Apr 2016
It’s a good ending for a good series. I really liked the art, the setting and the characters. This show truly has that Ashita no Joe vibe, I love that feeling.
Jul 7, 2020 6:17 AM

May 2020
last episode not like what i expected, i gave this show 8/10
Jul 8, 2020 5:33 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So afterall Joe won the Megalonia... great finale for this anime, i'm looking forward second season
Jul 20, 2020 12:24 PM
Jul 2020
This episode suffered a bit from the standardized season length of 13 episodes. While the rest of the season was very well paced, the finale could have easily been stretched out into a fourteenth episode for more impact. Not only was the conclusion of the climactic bout jarringly abrupt, but the characters deserved more than the measly 3 1/2 minutes of denouement that they received. It felt rushed and while it was a satisfying conclusion to the arc, it was only barely so.

NecronomicompJul 20, 2020 12:33 PM
Sep 6, 2020 7:49 PM

Apr 2015
Lindemberg said:
Recomendo para que assintam, tendo ou não próteses (gears)...rss

Muito ruim cara, sai daqui
Dec 30, 2020 1:58 PM
Aug 2019
this anime was some good gourmet shit and i love the sountrack so much *chef's kiss*. that was a really wholesome ending and I like the idea that they put the result of the fight at the end. I almost broke down in tears because of that.
Feb 4, 2021 1:05 PM
Aug 2017
The show as a whole was pretty solid (7.5/10), but this ending was a bit of a bummer compared to the build up that was made throughout the season. They built up the Joe vs. Yuri fight, but cut it short with not seeing the final punch and skipping ahead to a bunch of epilogue scenes?

If this episode could have been redone, I think I would done one of the following:

- They still cut the fight short, but they don't tell us who won. It would have been open-ended & left to interpretation. And they even could have had alternate sequel seasons, like one where Joe won and another season were Joe lost.

- They still cut the fight short, but they make it a tie. So that both show they have the spirit & grit of a boxer and Joe would still have a rival/goal that he wants to overcome.

- Actually show us the final punch of the fight. Joe's main goal was the chance to fight Yuri again and to see him knock Yuri down would have brought his journey in this season to a full circle.
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Things more important then what your hunting for, could be right there on the side of the road.”

Feb 22, 2021 12:57 AM

Jun 2019
That was a journey tbh. Joe's character was great. Didn't enjoy this fight that much but still, the show overall was amazing. 8/10
Feb 28, 2021 2:13 PM

Apr 2014
HazelShonenFan said:
- Actually show us the final punch of the fight. Joe's main goal was the chance to fight Yuri again and to see him knock Yuri down would have brought his journey in this season to a full circle.

I disagree with this. His goal was to fight Yuri again, and Yuri was excited to fight Joe. The story came full circle with the match, and it didn't really matter who won in the end. Both of them achieved their goal and had the best fight of their life.
Mar 1, 2021 4:56 PM
Aug 2017
ChangeLeopardon said:
HazelShonenFan said:

I disagree with this. His goal was to fight Yuri again, and Yuri was excited to fight Joe. The story came full circle with the match, and it didn't really matter who won in the end. Both of them achieved their goal and had the best fight of their life.

I agree and that's what I was trying to imply in the 1st bullet point. If it doesn't matter who won, then why did they tell us the result of the fight at all at the very end of the episode? It could have been left out and up to interpretation to those who cared and those who didn't with a feeling of content that Yuri & Joe were able to fight again.
HazelShonenFanMar 1, 2021 5:34 PM
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Things more important then what your hunting for, could be right there on the side of the road.”

Mar 1, 2021 6:21 PM

Apr 2014
HazelShonenFan said:
ChangeLeopardon said:

I agree and that's what I was trying to imply in the 1st bullet point. If it doesn't matter who won, then why did they tell us the result of the fight at all at the very end of the episode? It could have been left out and up to interpretation to those who cared and those who didn't with a feeling of content that Yuri & Joe were able to fight again.

Ah, okay.

My guess is that they still wanted to declare a winner, they just wanted to de-emphasize it. I think I liked how they did it, but can understand why somebody wouldn't.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 12 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 2:19 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 11 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

24 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 10 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

21 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 8:04 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 9 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 26, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Megalo Box Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2018

72 by bubba460z »»
Feb 25, 11:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.