Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 3, 2018 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was a neat start. Seeing Lupin return in his usual ways never ceases to amuse me and at this point, his personality is incredibly entertaining to watch.

Really glad to see Daisuke back too of course. I noticed this new season takes place in France so that opens up for more opportunitites for exploring their culture. We even got some of the nice cuisine shown from this episode.

Good episode, definitely excited to see more.
ArdanazApr 29, 2018 11:06 AM
Apr 3, 2018 11:17 AM

Oct 2009
Hopefully crunchyroll posts it soon.
Apr 3, 2018 11:36 AM

Oct 2009
Crunchyroll just put it up, I will watch it as soon as I am able.
Apr 3, 2018 12:24 PM

Jan 2012
Lupin III is back at last! And I'm glad to see the vocals were included in the opening theme as the clean version released on youtube yesterday didn't have them. Also nice to see a bit of continuity with previous Lupin incarnations right at the start. The rest of the episode however seemed to be going out of its way to drive home the modern technology of the current world as perhaps being Lupin's toughest foil yet. With so many eyes looking at every move he makes, how can Lupin possibly escape? Well more on that next week I'm sure, so I guess I'll close for the introductory outing by mentioning the new girl, Ami. Too early to try and say how much I like her, but so far so good. Rebecca from Part IV has her beat in the looks department, but that's more of a superficial point I suppose. Character and role in the story will matter most. And that remains to be seen. But yeah, liked what I saw here, Lupin's bullet theft might have been my favorite outlandish moment of this first outing, and looking forward to more! And oh yeah, still lovin' those female character designs. The tits on that one girl who was all over the dude on the boat...my God! XD Speaking of, only a brief glimpse of Fujiko this first week outside the op/ed, but that probably won't last too long. XD
Apr 3, 2018 12:56 PM

Apr 2012
To me it was a wonderful first episode! It already surpassed my expectations for sure u-u
I loved how in the beginning we had some scenes from the other Lupin things (everytime Cagliostro gets a reference I receive one more year of life haha). Also, in the airport part they kinda did a little reference to Yuji Ohno? It was really lovely <3
So far, I am already pleased by the direction of the plot, and I am excited to know more about our antagonist and the new characters. And, of course, more of our beloved character interacting e.e
Apr 3, 2018 1:17 PM

Jul 2017
This seriously impressed me.

The episode wastes no time making references while sending Lupin into the action right away. We clearly see that technology plays a big part in this series, but they aren't afraid to take jabs at it. This is how a series stays relevant. While staying true to it's roots, modern aspects must be woven in carefully. This series has already accomplished that. If the following episodes are even half as good as this one, It'll be my AOTS.

Overall, the idea of the world trying to catch Lupin is really clever.

Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Apr 3, 2018 1:42 PM

Mar 2016
This episode was absolutely fantastic. It gets right into the fun adventures we know Lupin so well for, and doesn't waste any of the audiences time.
As much as I'm not sure how to feel about the near over-use of technology in this new series, I think that if they do this "Hunt the Lupin" plot right it could be really interesting.
The characters personalities are completely on point, and I'm excited to see what the new characters have in store.
This episode got me absolutely hyped to watch a series like no other has done in quite some time.
Apr 3, 2018 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Nice start with full of action this time. Liked they showed us some old Lupin moments. And the last cliffhanger was seriously crazy! Looks like this time Lupin has to deal against with something real challenging! Extremely hyped for another episode!

BTW, I feel this Lupin season is going to follow more linear plot (than any other season) but so that means, no more filler episodes.. :(

removed-userApr 3, 2018 1:57 PM
Apr 3, 2018 2:22 PM

Jul 2016
Yey, more Lupin!!!

To be honest I haven't watched the second, third and fourth season yet but decided to jump right to this one anymore because this anime isn't that focused on the plot and has a rather episodic formula so it shouldn't be an issue.

And what an amazing start! Beautiful and fluid animation, great OP and ED, the characters designs look neat and the OST is pretty good as well. Great start and now I know I'll have some fun and something to hype every Tuesday.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Apr 3, 2018 2:32 PM
Jan 2011
(pic unrelated) I missed this show

Apr 3, 2018 6:23 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great start. I love seeing Lupin and co. back at it again. It seems this time the series is taking a more modern approach with tech playing an important role. Now everyone is on the hunt for Lupin besides Zenigata.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 3, 2018 9:05 PM

Jan 2009
oh wow Lupin vs the whole world and internet technology, this is gonna be good

P.S. Fujiko is as sexy as ever
Apr 3, 2018 9:40 PM

Mar 2009
I love that Fujiko ED.

This is actually my first time watching Lupin in Japanese. I've mostly watched the Lupin series on Toonami/Adult Swim. Lupin's voice in Japanese is so jarring to me. And holy crap, Zenigata's voice is so badass and deep compared to his English VA. Totally caught me off guard. Zenigata's English VA is so goofy sounding in comparison.

Anyway, good start. Always enjoy some Lupin.
Apr 3, 2018 10:01 PM
Oct 2017
I liked it a lot better than most of the part 4 episodes so it's off to a good start. I can't say I cared for the French twinge on the theme song though. I'm also still miffed about the jacket color, but it's not the biggest deal in the world.

Lupin vs The World is a good idea, especially because it makes sense in the modern world. The technology stuff wasn't nearly as forced as I thought it'd be too. Plus there was practically no Fujiko so that was nice.

R.I.P. Lupin's Fiat
HyakApr 3, 2018 10:11 PM
Apr 3, 2018 10:20 PM

Feb 2015
purplepasta said:
Plus there was practically no Fujiko so that was nice.

R.I.P. Lupin's Fiat

Okay, first of all, less Fujiko is NEVER a good thing you swine.

Second, it will be back.

I loved pretty much everything about this episode. I can't wait to see where they'd take it from here.
Apr 3, 2018 11:24 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
I like because in this episode there are a lot of references to the new technolozies, and this is always well!!!
Nice first episode, with all the principals' characters showing their personalities!! kekeke
Apr 3, 2018 11:36 PM

Mar 2014
Really love how they implemented new technology into this.
The way they did it seemed really smart.

Also, I really like Ami as a character so far.
OP & ED are both incredible.

This feels like an even more solid start than part 4, which I also thought was great, so that's saying something.
::End of Transmission::

Apr 4, 2018 12:44 AM

Oct 2008
Here we go again with the good old Lupin shows!
4/5.

Apr 4, 2018 2:37 AM

Jun 2014
This is gonna be great and I think that Ami is gonna help the cover from the #huntTheLupin game.
Apr 4, 2018 9:19 AM
Apr 2017
Mod deleted my episode 1 review so I'll just put this here:

Drugs! Nudity! Lupin is back! (for real this time). 1st episode was Lupin-rich/10 and what a relief after the San Marino debacle. The tone is lightly reminiscent of the 2nd and 3rd shows, with overt nostalgic visual cues to the original. The hilariously ridiculous OP kicks any bad taste of IV in the teeth and the overarching dark web market/blockchain/pokemon goemon plot already feels much more promising. I like the dub actors and typically wait but glad I didn't in this case. Lupin's native France also feels like a much more appropriate venue for his gang's hi-jinks. Art is meta-level, as is expected in any Lupin show. Goemon's entrance was sick as always. Fujiko never even shows up in the first episode and will surely take it to another level.
Apr 4, 2018 12:27 PM

Apr 2009
Just as good as the other Blue Jacket series, really enjoyed both the OST and the visuals. Also, please let Nix and Rebecca return for a few episodes - I genuinely want them as permanent cast members.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 4, 2018 5:55 PM

Apr 2009
love fujiko too but OMG ami is so cute i love her <3
Feeling down? You may already be a charge target.
Apr 4, 2018 7:26 PM
Jul 2015
Nidhoeggr said:
Just as good as the other Blue Jacket series, really enjoyed both the OST and the visuals. Also, please let Nix and Rebecca return for a few episodes - I genuinely want them as permanent cast members.
yeah definitely would like to see nix and rebecca
Apr 4, 2018 7:48 PM
Jul 2015
Numchucks said:
Mod deleted my episode 1 review so I'll just put this here:

Drugs! Nudity! Lupin is back! (for real this time). 1st episode was Lupin-rich/10 and what a relief after the San Marino debacle. The tone is lightly reminiscent of the 2nd and 3rd shows, with overt nostalgic visual cues to the original. The hilariously ridiculous OP kicks any bad taste of IV in the teeth and the overarching dark web market/blockchain/pokemon goemon plot already feels much more promising. I like the dub actors and typically wait but glad I didn't in this case. Lupin's native France also feels like a much more appropriate venue for his gang's hi-jinks. Art is meta-level, as is expected in any Lupin show. Goemon's entrance was sick as always. Fujiko never even shows up in the first episode and will surely take it to another level.
can u explan in your opinion how part IV was bad? I started on part 4 and i liked it. Never seen the others so i dont have the vast experience of the franchise.
Apr 4, 2018 8:43 PM

Aug 2014
Aw man, new girl's like the opposite of Rebecca; no fun. At least there will always be Fujiko. Love the ED.
Sieg Zeon!
Apr 4, 2018 10:06 PM

Jul 2012
I'm in love with this Anime!

I've seen a few of the older Lupin III movies but not an actual series so this is the first for me. I love this type of Anime/story so I'm excited. I also love Conan and Kaito so this is like a more jazzy classic version of those.

Incredible OP/ED. Love Miyuki. Also surprised to hear Zakki and Tsudaken. Not that surprised since I saw announcements before the Anime but still!
Apr 4, 2018 11:00 PM

Jun 2010
A strong first episode for sure, the cast bouncing off one another is as fun as ever, the music/art style is on point and there's a fantastic set up for a continuing story line in the Hunted styled Lupin Game. Disguises have always been Lupin's forte, so I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes about beating this system without them (at least for the moment). Can't wait to see the next episode!

5/5.
Apr 5, 2018 8:53 AM
Jul 2008
That was such a damn good start! They really put some work in this and it shows. I truly thank both the animators and the company for giving a shit and not just coping and pasting the last season (even though I loved the last season). I'm very much looking forward to where all this is gonna go and the inevitable twists and turns that come with it.
Apr 5, 2018 2:18 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Wow what a nice, fun first episode! This anime season is already so much better than Winter 2018. Thaw that icy mess, Spring 2018! <3
It's just nice to see Lupin and the crew doing their thing again though! I like how they're doing the whole crew vs. technology thing. Also... France! <3

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 5, 2018 2:25 PM

Aug 2009
Dam the new Lupin series are so legit. They're not quest as good as Woman named Fujiko, but still really solid.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 5, 2018 7:11 PM

Apr 2016
Yay! Lupin's back! So far, this looks as promising as Lupin ever is, though the emphasis on "wow look, technology!" is a little distracting; hopefully this will die down a bit. We just need more Fujiko and Zenigata, then all will be good.

Long live Lupin Trois!
Apr 5, 2018 7:51 PM
Jun 2016
The car chase scene was disappointing, the "backdoor mechanic" of that fiat should be reserved for epic car chases with the series' main theme playing.
I don't really like the idea that "the net/deep web" is one of the plot's elements. I believe nothing can be truly amazing or incredible if it's "the net" doing it. But it looks ok so

the "still-image" animation works ok, except for the helicopters because their still images weren't even drawn that well
Apr 5, 2018 7:51 PM
Jun 2016
The car chase scene was disappointing, the "backdoor mechanic" of that fiat should be reserved for epic car chases with the series' main theme playing.
I don't really like the idea that "the net/deep web" is one of the plot's elements. I believe nothing can be truly amazing or incredible if it's "the net" doing it. But it looks ok so

the "still-image" animation works ok, except for the helicopters because their still images weren't even drawn that well
Apr 5, 2018 8:20 PM

Jan 2012
Lupin III in the modern world... I like that twist!

Respect for that non CGI car chase scene
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Apr 8, 2018 2:08 AM
Jun 2017
Lupin against the World, that will be really wild!!!
Apr 8, 2018 7:06 AM

May 2015
Lupin against the world seems promising.

The op wasn't as good as the 2015 one but I liked the ed more, so sensual ;D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 8, 2018 9:52 PM

Mar 2014
As a big longtime Lupin fan, I'm super happy that (from what it looked like at the beginning of the episode) that Mystery of Mamo, Castle of Cagliostro, and Parts 1-3 to a degree are canon to these new series. I really hope Mamo is somehow re-introduced, since Jigen's Gravestone teased him and the whole da Vinci plot really reminded me of Mamo (I was hoping he'd be the one behind it all and was really disappointed) due to the whole historical figure brought back from the dead thing.

Really interesting episode and I'm really invested in what's gonna happen with the whole Lupin Game thing. Lupin stealing cryptocurrency is hilarious and something I thought I'd never see.
Updated my journal
Apr 9, 2018 10:58 PM

Oct 2015
Kinda serious compared to the 2015 version. Zenigata not screaming, what is this? Not a fan of this new girl, I hope rebecca at least appears in one of these episodes :/

R.I.P. Fujiko 2015 luscious hair
Apr 15, 2018 7:16 AM
May 2015
Finally found the time and the site to watch this episode.

It's a good start. The intro is a bit fast, but that's acceptable since most anime fans know Lupin and Co.

Like part 4, the series explores Lupin adjusting to a more contemporary world, but this time much of the focus goes to the digital aspect of that theme. Lupin targets the darknet, the secret/illegal part of the Internet that few people venture/have access to. For this, he recruits Ami, the new Lupin girl who seems to be part cyborg. And of course, the people Lupin targets are pissed and use the Internet as a weapon against him to flush him out. But Lupin is ready for a challenge! ;)

Fujiko doesn't do much. Not yet, anyway.

I agree with Jigen that money should be tangible and easy to touch. I also enjoyed the conversation in the Fiat about Goemon standing out too much.
Apr 21, 2018 1:39 AM

Feb 2016
Oh my god, the episode was perfect! The music, the animation, the lines, the action, the suspense, the characterisation, the theme of doing thievery in a modern digitised world. Even their effort to incorporate the modern mindset in the Lupin universe to rejuvenate the franchise!

And steins;gate and flcl coming out. This is the happiest anime season thus far for me.
Cloud_IllusionsApr 21, 2018 1:44 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
May 24, 2018 7:55 PM

Sep 2016
First of all, I've never watched any other Lupin related anime or movie, but I knew the characters because a diehard lupin friend of mine persuaded me to watch this, and I'm glad I listened to him.

I love how this anime starts, introducing us quickly to the cast and showing off some of their traits to easily recognize them. The drawing style and the landscapes are stunning, the animation is smooth and the VA on point. I'm looking forward to watch the rest of the episodes and catch up with you guys
Nov 24, 2018 2:21 AM
Apr 2008
Woww, that was an incredible way to start the series, and what a way to bring the series into the modern era.
Mar 25, 2019 8:56 AM

Oct 2012
The OP looked like the original art for Lupin
Shame it's just the OP
I guess it's too cartoonish for 2018

Back at France, the hometown

Another new character introduced
Good to see the Trio is assembled on first episode

After 26 episodes I still not used to Zenigata's voice, but I have to say goodbye to the old voice :(
"Signature removed"
May 4, 2019 11:14 AM

Jul 2009
Finally started Lupin Part 5 BD.

Man, what a way to start the show! Seriously, this is fucking amazing and this is how you start a first episode. I wish Part 4 had the OVA as the first episode. Instead of scattering it all over the place.

I thought the girl serving Lupin and Jigen at the restaurant was Fujiko. It sounded like her, but I guess that was not her.

I also love the references to Part 4! I see Rebecca, Nyx and Da Vinci!

Looks like I'll be finishing this up leading up to summer alongside JoJo Part 5 ^^
Jun 1, 2019 6:36 PM
May 2019
deg said:
oh wow Lupin vs the whole world and internet technology, this is gonna be good

P.S. Fujiko is as sexy as ever

Nice to see that Lupin is well versed with today's internet and technology. The smirk at the end of this episode makes me realize he already has a plan in place to win at the game that was created around him. hehehehe
Which one do you want? An Addiction or A Good Life?
A) Addiction - a progressive narrowing of the things that bring you pleasure.
B) A Good Life - a progressive expansion of the things that bring you pleasure and includes pleasure through motivation and hard work.
Jun 15, 2019 10:29 PM

Mar 2014
Wasn't sure what to expect but I enjoyed that.

Lupin in the digital age is going to be interesting
Jun 16, 2019 1:42 PM

Jan 2009
I'm glad the Lupin theme is back! Also, classic Lupin car chase scenes are classic!
Sep 11, 2019 4:27 AM

Sep 2011
I finally reached Part V, the first one I watched as it aired, and it's beautiful! I love the OP, I love especially the ED, and it's kind of different from Part IV, but I also love the colors here. Lupin stole an amazing amount of digital currency, and Ami, who is a capable programmer/hacker, together with it. I can't wait to see what she is going to bring to the table.
Jul 20, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2016
Lupin has finally arrived in our times. Sounds like an exciting game and I already dig this spin on the series.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2022 4:59 AM

Feb 2012
Lupin keeps changing in interesting ways. Despite the callbacks they've decided to take the franchise in a new direction. The 2015 version still was somewhat timeless; even though modern technology was present, often it wasn't integral to the story. With these new changes it doesn't look like the classic Lupin anymore, but at least based on this episode they've made the transition well. In fact, the most boring part was the classic car chase scene.

I also liked the ED, the animated scenes were probably the most 70s thing in Lupin since... well, since the 70s.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2018

22 by SleepingBear »»
Apr 20, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 8, 2018

44 by SleepingBear »»
Mar 27, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 11 Discussion

vigorousjammer - Aug 8, 2018

11 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 28, 2023 2:43 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2018

38 by OfficialGothBF »»
Jun 5, 2023 7:17 PM

Poll: » Lupin III: Part 5 Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2018

15 by korsarz »»
Mar 26, 2023 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.