Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 2, 2017 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ouni impresses me again in this show. He seems to be actually cooperating well for the sake of the Mud Whale and his comrades.

This pretty much continues the struggle against the imperial soldiers. The psychology for this episode also stood out imo for one those guys (although not on the level as Ryodari)
Stark700Dec 2, 2017 4:25 PM
Dec 2, 2017 1:43 PM

Dec 2014
Well there goes Nibi. He awakened Ouni at least, so he contributed to save the day.
Considering the powers he has, I wonder if he was some sort of secret weapon. He appeared out of nowhere on the mud whale after all.
Wonder how this "new stage" of Falaina is going to look like.
Dec 3, 2017 6:17 PM

Jun 2015
I didn't feel anything when Nibi died. His only role was to awaken Ouni so he can defeat the soldiers. Their fight was cool though. They make a great duo. The scene after Nibi's death was nice. I wonder how Falaina will advance to the next stage.
Dec 3, 2017 6:30 PM

Dec 2016
I knew something bad was about to happen to Nibi the moment he took his eyes off the enemy and tried to check on Ouni.

Ouni once again, super badass, so this is the power that they were all afraid of and no wonder, Ouni killed just about everyone and obliterated the Nous at the same time.

That was a very powerful and emotional scene where Nibi was saying his goodbye to Ouni, the ost for this anime is amazing.

Olivines gives Chamkuro a Kokalo from the great nous Anthropos which can help Falaina evolve when brought together with Ema, I hope this helps them in the future, the repelled this invasion but what will happen next, I look forward to next time.
Dec 3, 2017 6:33 PM

Oct 2014
Another freaky emotionless soldier heckled the Mud Whalers, for having empathy and not being able to kill them without hesitation. Scary...

Rip Nibi, the only one who could break Ouni out of his shell. At least they destroyed Lykos. I wasn't expecting the Lykos nous to come out and try to make a deal with Chakuro (like a deal with the devil) I knew he wouldn't accept it but I feel like if other people of the Mud Whale were asked to make that deal they would.
Let's be real though; did anyone really believe Nibi would ever go back to the Mud Whale after stepping foot on that boat? I knew it was coming, but that nous really rubbed salt in the wound, but at least it gave us more of a human view of Ouni.
It's worth mentioning that they're finally embracing death and choosing to remember them rather than live in ignorant bliss. Even Chakuro's writing contains more emotion than it did before the attack. Maybe it wasn't all bad for the Mud Whale.

I'm interested to see where the show will go now that the main villain is gone. That "advancement" will probably be the source of the next major conflict. Now that all of the characters and rules of the universe are established I'm hopeful the author will experiment with what they have.

RebelPandaDec 3, 2017 6:56 PM
Dec 3, 2017 6:33 PM
Jan 2017
"I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!" Captain Kirk, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Chakuro basically said that to the weird glowing person in Skylos. Despite the weird imagery of this episode, it was still quite enjoyable, what with the exploration of the morality of war and the mentality of the invading soldiers. Nibi's death was suitably tragic and provided some much needed character evolution for Ouni. Normally, I don't like it when episodes focus on secondary characters instead of the characters we are supposed to care about; but for now I can tolerate it. Hopefully, the coming episodes will keep up this level of quality.
Dec 3, 2017 8:04 PM

Mar 2012
"I have this really cool thing, but I'll only give it to you in exchange for all your emotions."

"No."

"Okay fine you can still have it."
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 3, 2017 8:19 PM

Dec 2016
Honestly other than Ouni's outburst this episode was pretty boring, mainly because, to be completely honest, I didn't really care about Nibi so his death didn't affect me but the show made it a point to spend half the episode on it.

Also the second half of the episode was decent, but all around kind of a sucky episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Dec 3, 2017 8:37 PM

Sep 2015
Dam I knew Nibi was gonna die ;-; was really hoping he wouldnt but dam the feels.
Dec 3, 2017 9:32 PM

Dec 2014
R.I.P nibi, at least Ouni wrecked the other guys after that.

Interested in the evolution of Falaina and what it's gonna look like and also the direction the show will take from here.
Dec 3, 2017 11:22 PM

Apr 2016
Of course his buddy must die for him to release some cool shit.
Dec 3, 2017 11:58 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The death flags were hella strong for ya Nibi....RIP My Dude
Dec 4, 2017 1:38 AM

Nov 2016
Tokoya said:
The death flags were hella strong for ya Nibi....RIP My Dude

Exactly, he was literally begging for it.

While I thought that his death and the imagery were executed well it failed to connect to me,hence the part felt dull.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 4, 2017 4:48 AM

Jul 2014
Yeah, this lost me completely, to be honest. I didn't care about Nibi at all, so spending 5 minutes on some weird dream sequence or whatever of him saying goodbye to Ouni was dumb. And then the stuff when they interacted with the dying nous in another weird dream sequence was bizarre and nonsensical.

But now what? They defeated Skylos, so where do they go from here?
Dec 4, 2017 4:50 AM

Mar 2016
I love Ouni so much

the aesthetic was amazing, i love the art so much
Dec 4, 2017 5:09 AM

Feb 2014
Damn, Nibi paid the price when he let his eyes focus on the injured Ouni instead of the enemy soldiers. Top praise for the soundtrack that made the farewell scene between the two a lot more impactful. =)

The imagery detailing was pretty weird, but also very well done at the same time. Olivines gave Chakuro an offer for the item he had, with the expense of his emotions. Despite Chakuro's long answer being a no, Olivines still gave him the item anyway. Pretty convenient if you ask me. =/

Either way, Skylos is no more and the remaining soldiers all commit mass suicide by jumping into the sand ocean at the end of the episode. Where the show goes from here for the last three episodes, who knows.
Dec 4, 2017 6:02 AM

Jun 2016
What happened with Ouni again? Why did he let them bastards stab him with that sword then suddenly when his childhood friend appeared, he's back at it again? I'm lost. Lmao.

Why are the goodbyes in this show so dramatic and cheesy? It hurts me. Suddenly, Ouni's not emotionless and cares about Nibi. I guess he's a lowkey emotional person. Now all his friends are gone, but dang the way he released the daimon in him or whatever is that thing called and he alone destroyed those assholes' Nous.

I guess Nous have their own spirit and what the hell is that thing that blue person gave Chakuro? What can it do again?

Excuse me, but wow before that ship fell, it turned to a beautiful place with them weird flowers or whatnot. Haha.

Decent episode, I guess. 3/5.

RIP NIBI! Though, I already see it coming that you're gonna go because suddenly you're significant. Lol.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 4, 2017 6:27 AM
Apr 2016
I wonder if the thing the Nous gave them would make Falaina want to eat emotions as an "evolution"?

Also, I did feel like Nibi's death was coming, so there wasn't much impact there, but the imagery was so surreal and enveloping, it really sucked me in to it's strangeness.

I like the aesthetic of how they show what the Nous does when influencing people, it really highlights the psychological aspect of eating emotions.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Dec 4, 2017 9:17 AM
Nov 2016
Again, Ouni is definitely my favorite character of the show.... He should've been the main character and not Chakuro...

Let's be honest, all of us knew Nibi was gonna die as soon as he forcefully joined the raiding party but even with the very little time he had, he made me like him, something Chakuro has failed to do. Chakuro really needs to stop being a wimp and do something. All he did in this arc was run around, cry and shout, "Lykos!"
Dec 4, 2017 11:27 AM
Oct 2017
The second half of the episode was very touching, interesting and enjoyable
But man, the first part. Yet again other soul-less death scenes... I'm the type to always mourn death in anime but in this show they just feel so stupid, idk. Thankfully the ouni scene made up to it and then some new plot happened at long last

This anime is trying to convey a very important story but it is very clumsy in trying to do so, that will probably be my final appreciation
Dec 4, 2017 11:31 AM

Feb 2016
Josh said:
"I have this really cool thing, but I'll only give it to you in exchange for all your emotions."

"No."

That was the very idea, it was a test. Haven't you see some examples of goddess that asks if you want to have a power within a certain sacrifice?
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 4, 2017 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
HereticHunter said:
Josh said:

"No."

That was the very idea, it was a test. Haven't you see some examples of goddess that asks if you want to have a power within a certain sacrifice?
This. It was a test of character. Are they going to trade away the emotions that brought them to this place, or are they going to stand by everything that makes them different from their enemies? Skylos respected that and wanted to see where Chakuro would bring the Mud Whale because their emotions are what make them different.
Dec 4, 2017 1:30 PM

Sep 2016
Syrup- said:
HereticHunter said:

This. It was a test of character. Are they going to trade away the emotions that brought them to this place, or are they going to stand by everything that makes them different from their enemies? Skylos respected that and wanted to see where Chakuro would bring the Mud Whale because their emotions are what make them different.
weird that chakuro seems to be so important while has done absolutely nothing so far
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Dec 4, 2017 2:30 PM

Oct 2014
I'm going leave out the "some random supporting character died in a cliche way just for the sake of cool (and development.)" Classic shounen (except, MAL doesn't tag this as such.)

But that ending is just plain stupid.
Not just emotionally bcs Chakuro is such a plain character etc etc etc
but just... like that interaction with the warship's nous is just meaningless.
Now the logic behind the antagonists of this series is never strong, in the first place. But as that stuff the nous gives to Chakuro at the end of the episode seems to be a very important plot point, you would want a strong reason behind it. The culmination of everything so far... for me, it failed to bring Chakuro's standpoint that "their memories are real thus important."
The script isn't tempting enough,
The direction is synchronized on the wrong way, as the scene shows a wonderful image (Lykos' illusion,) but the sound direction use a grave vibe that basically tells you it's a lie.
Knowing that everyone who are doing this are pros with great titles under their belt (thus they're not fools,) it seems that the director wanted to force into us a view that what the nous was offering is bad, instead of leaving us to decide for it ourselves (aka they blatantly tells us that it's a test, thus spoiling it for us.) Depending on the plot, it might work, but in this kind of story where there are 2 ideologies in motion, comparing both in a fair sense so that we can decide for ouselves is important, imo. Kujira no Kora... the plot tried (else the scene wouldn't have existed) but the direction failed hard on this, main most important part.
Revvie-chanDec 4, 2017 2:37 PM
Dec 4, 2017 3:33 PM

Jan 2013
GangsterCat said:
weird that chakuro seems to be so important while has done absolutely nothing so far
He hasn't done "nothing", if you've been paying attention. He's the one who came in contact with Lykos, effectively saving the island by befriending her. He's the one who came up with the plan to stop the elders from sinking the whale. He's the one who was in charge of the attack on Skylos. Sure he may be emotional and stop acting the way the audience expects once in a while, but without Chakuro, the story would be completely different.

I don't know why I'm bothering to argue about this. I've been seeing this all season, this complete lack of understanding for the motivations of the characters. Calling Chakuro the main character when there's no real clear focus on who the main character is (it's only implied because he narrates the story, but he's only the one who wrote the archives).
Dec 4, 2017 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
Rip Nibi.

Enjoyed the dreamlike tone of this episode.

So did the captain say Orkas wanted the daimons to awaken? I wonder why. He seemed content being an apatheion. Maybe just following nous Anthropos' orders.
Dec 4, 2017 3:58 PM

Apr 2009
Jesus Christ, the villains in this show are so damn stupid. I get that protagonists gotta have a plot armor, but at least put some efforts into your action scenes, the average JRPG has more competent bad guys.
Jin_uzukiDec 4, 2017 4:02 PM

Dec 4, 2017 5:22 PM

Jan 2014
Okay literally the first half of this episode the MC just yelled and did nothing. Meanwhile, Ouni gets a power up for no reason due to a friend's death that gets zero screen time. The second half of this episode is where MC gives a "typical MC answer" (even though I liked the answer). Pretty bad episode overall. In fact, this whole show is really disappointing. Not to mention the fact it's hypocritical to call the children of the whales sinners while the people without emotions are literally committing genocide. But whatever...

Side note: where the fuck are all these new characters coming from? There is no sense of a declining population whatsoever when there's constantly new characters. Attack on Titan all over again.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 4, 2017 5:32 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm this episode felt a bit awkward but it was pretty apparent what's going to happen. At the very least the show is still intriguing me with the sense of atmosphere and just the idea of it makes me wants more of it. The villains of course are pretty weak, can't deny that.

Knew that Nibi was going to get rekt hard but still it hurted anyways. RIP.
Zelev said:
Okay literally the first half of this episode the MC just yelled and did nothing. Meanwhile, Ouni gets a power up for no reason due to a friend's death that gets zero screen time. The second half of this episode is where MC gives a "typical MC answer" (even though I liked the answer). Pretty bad episode overall. In fact, this whole show is really disappointing. Not to mention the fact it's hypocritical to call the children of the whales sinners while the people without emotions are literally committing genocide. But whatever...

Side note: where the fuck are all these new characters coming from? There is no sense of a declining population whatsoever when there's constantly new characters. Attack on Titan all over again.

The entire hypocrisy is kind of the point I guess. It doesn't really bug me that much considering the nature of the series itself I suppose.

As for the AoT comparison... I dunno. At least in this so far the sense of danger is still there, unlike AoT that is taken away completely with a certain "reveal".
Dec 4, 2017 5:59 PM

Jan 2014
Wasshio said:
Hmm this episode felt a bit awkward but it was pretty apparent what's going to happen. At the very least the show is still intriguing me with the sense of atmosphere and just the idea of it makes me wants more of it. The villains of course are pretty weak, can't deny that.

Knew that Nibi was going to get rekt hard but still it hurted anyways. RIP.
Zelev said:

The entire hypocrisy is kind of the point I guess. It doesn't really bug me that much considering the nature of the series itself I suppose.

As for the AoT comparison... I dunno. At least in this so far the sense of danger is still there, unlike AoT that is taken away completely with a certain "reveal".

I know the hypocrisy is basically what the show centers around, but I just felt like pointing it out cause why not.

It's a shame because I really like this show's world and even the music is pretty good. However, the story is definitely weak in comparison. To make matters worse, the characters are somewhat dull. At least that's how I see it so far.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 4, 2017 10:24 PM
Jun 2015
Once again, the soldiers just stand there while the enemy gets to monologue for 10 minutes straight and express their emotional diatribes without fear. Even Lyko's brother and baldie are extremely emotional characters. Lyko's brother faction is not an unemotional faction like how the character's keep trying to tell audience, they are just another tribe in a conflict that wants to commit genocide against "sinners". I also like the sacrifice cliche where the character gets an op power up because their friend died.

The Nous part was also really cliched and just bland. Rewriting bad memories? If that is your goal as a Nous, Why do you pick the Mc out of all people? You should pick the most emotional vulnerable character in the anime to carry out the plan especially not the person that is obsessed of keeping records and memories of everyone on his ship. Why not just have this scene with just Lyko's? She is clearly as far as main character's go the most emotionally vulnerable character and the easiest to manipulate. You can setup an arc in the anime where she tries to go through with the plan behind the mc's back. Instead I am guessing this problem is going to carry out in the dumbest way possible that will lack compelling motivation, or motivation will be logical but make the mc look stupid.
15poundfishDec 4, 2017 10:29 PM
Dec 5, 2017 1:28 AM
Oct 2017
15poundfish said:
Once again, the soldiers just stand there while the enemy gets to monologue for 10 minutes straight and express their emotional diatribes without fear. Even Lyko's brother and baldie are extremely emotional characters. Lyko's brother faction is not an unemotional faction like how the character's keep trying to tell audience, they are just another tribe in a conflict that wants to commit genocide against "sinners". I also like the sacrifice cliche where the character gets an op power up because their friend died.

The Nous part was also really cliched and just bland. Rewriting bad memories? If that is your goal as a Nous, Why do you pick the Mc out of all people? You should pick the most emotional vulnerable character in the anime to carry out the plan especially not the person that is obsessed of keeping records and memories of everyone on his ship. Why not just have this scene with just Lyko's? She is clearly as far as main character's go the most emotionally vulnerable character and the easiest to manipulate. You can setup an arc in the anime where she tries to go through with the plan behind the mc's back. Instead I am guessing this problem is going to carry out in the dumbest way possible that will lack compelling motivation, or motivation will be logical but make the mc look stupid.

I agree to everything
But in te anime's defense they did mention that the nous-person was also the archivist of skylos, so it somewhat makes sense for them to reach for the archivist of falaina? Maybe there's something to archivicism that we haven't been told about yet ? Feels a bit weak but for now it's wait and see
Now that i think about it i remember being irk'd at chakuro pulling out the peaceful-happy stance when speaking to them, despite ... i dunno... 15 friends dying just 2 minutes ago ? Also Ouni is losing a lot of blood 5 meters away ? Gosh, does anything even matter in this show at this point ?
Dec 5, 2017 1:40 AM

Mar 2009
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh watching Nibi's hair float on top of the ocean's surface until it completely submerged. It just looked so silly.

Great job, Ouni. Unleash your power AFTER Nibi dies. He couldn't use it before Nibi got killed, why?
And only 6 people made it back alive? That's rough. At least nee-san survived.

Oh, and judging by the preview, annoying pink/purple hair guy is still alive.
Dec 5, 2017 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
I knew that little goddess-girl won't leave Chakuro empty-handed. She'll just give that egg-like thingy whatever Chakuro choose.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Dec 5, 2017 5:28 AM

Oct 2008
Nibi also kicked the bucket!
Must be extremely hard for Ouni to live-on but it already happened for the sake of drama.
Damn, only 6 of them survived! it was really mass slaughtering...well both sides has little difference.
Looks like Chakuro & Lykos went to a forbidden place of existence huh...
4/5.

Dec 5, 2017 4:23 PM
Apr 2016
The series can possibly not get sadder past this point. Oh wait. Please do not.
Seems like even those higher beings connected to "nous" are not monolithic. Seeing the "other choice" Chakuro could face with smile, the Skylos... deity decided to give them a possibility... Well, this is a vast, mighty so, setting. Nations vs nations, humans vs humans, spirits vs spirits. Enticing.
Re:formed
Dec 6, 2017 12:08 AM

Apr 2015
let's see what that shell is able to do

Dec 6, 2017 9:34 AM

Jul 2015
Aaaaahhhhh, this episode was good, I actually felt something this time. I look forward to seeing where this anime goes next, the main conflict is over now, and there's only like 3 episodes left so I'm curious as to where they go from here.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 6, 2017 4:29 PM

Mar 2010
Got to admit that the Nibi and Ouni scene is a little bit too long (and somewhat awkward). But nevertheless, for me, it's a pretty good episode full of aesthetic art.

And Ouni being able to unleash his full power is exactly how the concept of this anime goes, "emotions/feelings". Thus it does make sense for Ouni to only to unleash it after Nibi dies, and not before. Plus, by unleashing that amount of power, it makes him unconcious. So, it makes sense that he normally can't do or withstand it.

(It's probably pretty much the same as when you're so angry that your adrenaline rushes and you become stronger for some seconds. It actually reminds me of Vader in Revenge of the Sith).
RythmeDec 6, 2017 4:39 PM

Now Watching

原神 : 800993232

SV-Mirage

Dec 7, 2017 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
BlackstarFallen said:
I didn't feel anything when Nibi died. His only role was to awaken Ouni so he can defeat the soldiers.

This. I don't know if it has been done intentionally (I guess, not), but I feel nothing. The whole drama with Ouni and Nibi failed to relieve any emotions.
At least next scene with Olivines was rather interesting.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 7, 2017 11:14 AM

Sep 2014
So a shitty side character died and they make a whole episode just about that with a billion flashbacks to their childhood. Amazing writing right there.
Dec 8, 2017 4:16 AM

Dec 2014
well it gets depressing.... well they won the war....
Dec 8, 2017 7:10 AM

Apr 2015
The 'cut-the-opening-song' episode, designed as an emotional magnum opus; didn't really deliver in that department and had still some fail anime logic, but at least is notable for its visuals; probably the prettiest Kujikora episode out of all episodes yet, actually of the year. Reminded me of certain scenes in Your Name

You can tell this was from a shoujo this week I think...I felt no real emotion from the Ouni-Nibi scene but maybe girls would have.
Read the thread after posting and was amused to find everyone feeling the same
LanzDec 8, 2017 7:17 AM
Dec 8, 2017 3:57 PM

Mar 2017
This episode was depressing af...
But, I enjoyed the episode, and I still really appreciate the series despite the poor writing. However, the past two episodes seemed to have a lot of elements in them that aren't explained well and introduction of more characters that don't need to be added (maybe they are explained in the Manga or introduced sooner or developed? I haven't gotten around to reading it yet...) I was definitely upset when Nibi died, But I'm pretty emotional whenever it comes to books, TV, anime, manga, etc. I also expected him to die though when he chose to tag along.
Dec 9, 2017 5:22 PM

Aug 2015
Taisha was beautiful with long hair. What happened here? What is special about Ouni? All the people of Falaina are like him? What's that bone?
Dec 24, 2017 5:17 PM

Aug 2013
RIP Nibi.

Well, Falaina managed to stop the invasion and Ouni was a badass.

Jan 9, 2018 2:23 PM

Jul 2009
Poor Nibi. Ouni was amazing, like always...
This anime is sad and beautiful.
Jan 10, 2018 7:20 PM

Aug 2014
Josh said:

"No."

Oh my god that's literally what happened lol
Mar 10, 2018 7:15 PM

May 2012
Fantastic and impressive episode, such bittersweet development! Really filled with emotions! Really loving it and I do wonder what will happen next!
Mar 25, 2018 7:32 AM

Jan 2012
Amazing and beatiful episode. For real, this could be the season ending!

I enjoyed several parts of this one, but i´ll bring light to the moment when Masoo killed the soldier kid without much thinking. I think this pointed how much the normal people of that peaceful ship changed.

5/5 easily
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

95 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
Apr 24, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2017

160 by Destroyer31 »»
Apr 7, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

46 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 14, 2023 7:38 PM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Sep 11, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

66 by RawrOMG »»
Aug 17, 2023 6:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.