Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 24, 2017 5:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oo nice, an episode that focuses more on Shizu.

The joruney takes him to a country where everything seemed okay at first with its economy and society but finds out that not all is what it seems. For some reason, I also like the music of this episode as it created an atmosphere of suspense.

I really like how Shizu handled the problem with his logic. Tbh, this episode made me appreciate his character more.
Nov 24, 2017 9:02 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Ti is a strange one but she can be very cute too....Seeing her interact with Riku was too precious lol

Apart from that, the country that they visited in the first half is tragically fucked and I really pity those people because of how much denial they were in....I get the general argument for rehabilitation/incarceration, but that teacher dude needs to get executed for what he did

Anyway, another pretty good episode this week and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Shizu, Ti and Riku again
Nov 24, 2017 9:20 AM

Sep 2011
Aww, Ti's pretty cute when she's not stabbing people or threatening them with grenades... And her way of fishing is... well, definitely faster.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Nov 24, 2017 9:29 AM

Dec 2014
Kino got her anime stole from her lol. I actually don't mind these episodes focused on other characters, especially Shizu.
Nov 24, 2017 9:33 AM

Dec 2014
Tokoya said:
Ti is a strange one but she can be very cute too....Seeing her interact with Riku was too precious lol

Apart from that, the country that they visited in the first half is tragically fucked and I really pity those people because of how much denial they were in....I get the general argument for rehabilitation/incarceration, but that teacher dude needs to get executed for what he did

Anyway, another pretty good episode this week and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Shizu, Ti and Riku again

Seconded, I felt the story of the radio wave country represented how as people we always try to come up with the most random excuses or explanations for our illogical actions.
Nov 24, 2017 9:37 AM

Jul 2012
More about Shizu, Riku and Ti. very light episode. Was pretty obvious that would happen in that country in the end. Feels like overall too much time without Kino, kinda weird.
Nov 24, 2017 9:58 AM

Sep 2013
Yay!
I wanted see a story about the Shizu team. Tii is great and I have a lot of fun watching this episode.
Nov 24, 2017 10:07 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Very neat country here. They are stuck in their delusion/excuse that radio waves cause people to go crazy. Unable to face the hard facts that those were real crimes without outside influence and that they let the criminals roam free, they accuse Shizu of being influenced since that's their easy way out.

Better to cope with being influenced by a greater power from their point of view.

I thought it was really cool that Shizu adapted very well to the situation he had to face and thought of another way to lead them to the truth. Tells me that he learned from his previous experience IMO.

Then seeing Ti and the dog grow closer together awkwardly was very heartwarming, more of these three!

While we're at it, Photo next episode pls?
Nov 24, 2017 10:34 AM
Nov 2016
Nice episode. Focused on Shizu, Riku and Ti.

I agree with Ti, if I had a dog like Riku, I'd hug him too.
Nov 24, 2017 11:04 AM

Jan 2010

Imagine if a country's problems could be summarized by a singular cause. Its source is a distant, almost conceptual location, where no one could approach it, and the only way to address the problem is to live with it, cursing it every day without really taking any action towards fixing the core issue. In a way, it would feel oppressive and frightening, where an almost incorporeal entity were causing all of a country's problems, existing far beyond what its people could comprehend. But, does the issue even exist in the first place, or could it be a means for the people to cope with their daily misfortunes? Wouldn't it be nice to have something to blame? Or, in other words, wouldn't it be terrible to have nothing to blame but one's self and each other?

This was a slightly different episode, as its approach to a country's problems stems from how the problem itself was perceived. Whenever a tragedy occurs in this country, the people blame the radio waves, as it's an easy scapegoat. It's beyond the peoples' understanding, ingrained fear prevents them from approaching the radio towers, and it's pervasive enough to have no clearly defined boundary of effect. It's like an invisible force that mentally controls all the citizens, even if it doesn't exist to begin with. The peoples' own paranoia drove themselves to believe in these radio waves, where they circularly prove its existence based on tradition and how the belief has always been there.

Though, as Shizu proved, this fear has no logical basing, but unfortunately, breaking traditions that have existed for generations can't be done by a simple passing traveler, at least not easily. That, and that fear can be taken advantaged of when approached the right way.

In a way, this episode felt like it was referencing real world belief systems, which in my mind relates to religion. This isn't the first time Kino's Journey has made references to religion, and this was actually one of its less obvious ways of addressing countries ruled by an invisible force. It was probably not the intent, but it's interesting to see how it portrays this American Western-like town as not being malicious or evil, but being passive in its acceptance of tragedies in its world. "Ah, another murder happened, it must have been the radio waves." It's an easy way to write off such events, and it's extremely convenient with no one needing to take any blame or responsibility. It's their way of life, and even if it doesn't make any sense, it's not Shizu's responsibility - nor is it his right - to try and change that. Of course, his last words to the sheriff might have caused some change, or perhaps the sheriff could be treated as another victim of the radio waves. Thankfully, that's left up to interpretation.

Lastly, the short story about Ti and Riku spending the day together. I was actually hoping it would be a silent short with Ti just doing things, having Riku narrate and react along the way. The whole day was eventually explained by Shizu, which was kind of disappointing, but I at least appreciated the few silent moments when I had to guess at what Ti was even thinking. But, again, I'll take what I can get, and for what it was worth, the short was at least pleasant and harmless.

Also, I'm not sure why I just noticed, but this adaptation of Kino's Journey really loves the bloom effect. It's almost as if there's a constant solar flare going on in the background.
ShockedNov 24, 2017 2:57 PM
Nov 24, 2017 11:24 AM

Aug 2013
Another good episode.

We got more of Shizu, Ti and Riku. It was nice to see Ti and Riku getting closer, it was heartwarming.

Nov 24, 2017 12:06 PM

Jul 2014
Did Shizu not learn last time that people aren't exactly rational and don't always listen to reason, even if the truth's staring them right in the face? Still, fair play for improvising a way out of the situation on the fly like that.
Nov 24, 2017 12:29 PM
Mar 2015
Loved seeing Tia say Riku friend while hugging him
Nov 24, 2017 12:37 PM
Mar 2017

daijoo bu x3

landofthekwt said:
Loved seeing Tia say Riku friend while hugging him

↓↓↓↓

I really liked the animation, I could spend several minutes taking more pictures to the landscape / the loli, but I have more animes to see. Good episode
FireCrauterNov 24, 2017 12:55 PM
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Nov 24, 2017 12:52 PM

Feb 2013
That country is looking for an excuse to crimes, lame.
Riku is too damn adorable!
Ti is too kawaii!
Nov 24, 2017 1:18 PM

Jul 2015
Damn. I feel sorry for those slaughtered girls. :/
Also, those outposts reminds me of Brain scorcher from Stalker.

Nov 24, 2017 1:19 PM
Jul 2016
I like how they left the ending of the first story up to the viewer's interpretation for once, this adaptation feels the need to explain every single little thing for some reason, as highlighted by Shizu going out of his way to tell us everything about Ti's day with Riku, like we hadn't already seen it ourselves...

Atavistic said:
Did Shizu not learn last time that people aren't exactly rational and don't always listen to reason, even if the truth's staring them right in the face? Still, fair play for improvising a way out of the situation on the fly like that.

He realizes that, but (as he said himself) his goal is not to travel but to settle down in a country, hence why he always gets involved in internal affairs and always ends up failing, unlike Kino who assumes a passive role and only takes action when she absolutely needs to. He's supposed to be her mirror, her exact opposite in that regard.

Shocked said:

In a way, this episode felt like it was referencing real world belief systems, which in my mind relates to religion. This isn't the first time Kino's Journey has made references to religion, and this was actually one of its less obvious ways of addressing countries ruled by an invisible force.

I kinda thought the same. It's common practice in many ancient religions to explain unnatural phenomena through the existence of a god, for example the Olympian Dodekatheism. But since in this episode they were talking about radio waves, something that they do have knowledge of and can technologically explain but just don't seem to know everything about, i feel like the theme was how a government can control the masses through propaganda. Granted, we didn't see any form of higher hierarchy (not stupid policemen) controlling the people and causing fear.

But that is exactly what i loved. Subtle symbolism about religion is present, but it's all left up to our interpretation and not shoved to our face.
Nov 24, 2017 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
a phenomenal episode as usual.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Nov 24, 2017 2:00 PM

Dec 2014
well that was nice to watch...dang that country was something else
Nov 24, 2017 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
When I started this series I was like 'the 2017 is so much worse than the 2003 masterpiece' but now.. Jeez, I've really come to love the 2017 version so much xD

Nice episode - Riku's so fluffy xD
Nov 24, 2017 3:06 PM

Oct 2010
I think of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

Slartibartfast: I'd far rather be happy than right any day.
Arthur Dent: And are you?
Slartibartfast: No. That's where it all falls down of course.
Nov 24, 2017 3:30 PM

Nov 2016
B-but the radio waves are at fault, I saw them doing it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 24, 2017 3:37 PM

Jul 2016
Meh, the episodes don't feel the same without Kino. I don't really care about these travelers.
Kino no Tabi. Where is Kino tho?

Leaving that behind, the episode was decent enough.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Nov 24, 2017 3:40 PM

Nov 2012
I don't get why he told that guy his whole family and city would go crazy, does he expect that to motivate them into attacking the place and realizing the radio waves aren't real?

And I knew Ti was crazy, less dangerously untrustworthy than I thought kind of crazy, but I still never got why people acted like she was completely normal in the last episode thread of her appearance.
Jaywalker.
Nov 24, 2017 3:46 PM

May 2015
Another Shizu-focused episode, and another decent one.

Nov 24, 2017 3:55 PM

Sep 2011
Okay let me make this clear.
Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT ship Shizu and Ti.
If you do, you're a filthy degenerate and deserves the almighty three-shoe beating.
Shizu is for Kino ONLY!
Do not forget that!
Nov 24, 2017 4:04 PM

Feb 2017
Don't know about the first country maybe its just me and maybe like someone pointed it out it resembles this "American Western-like town" where people don't think others can do harm and when someone does they blame it to some invisible force that they have to put up with, but it kinda feels they live a better live due to that I would say minor flaw, since people trust each other most people treat others like people instead of things that could do harm to them just because.
Nov 24, 2017 4:10 PM

Jun 2017
Mouloxas said:
I like how they left the ending of the first story up to the viewer's interpretation for once, this adaptation feels the need to explain every single little thing for some reason, as highlighted by Shizu going out of his way to tell us everything about Ti's day with Riku, like we hadn't already seen it ourselves...

Atavistic said:

He realizes that, but (as he said himself) his goal is not to travel but to settle down in a country, hence why he always gets involved in internal affairs and always ends up failing, unlike Kino who assumes a passive role and only takes action when she absolutely needs to. He's supposed to be her mirror, her exact opposite in that regard.

Shocked said:

In a way, this episode felt like it was referencing real world belief systems, which in my mind relates to religion. This isn't the first time Kino's Journey has made references to religion, and this was actually one of its less obvious ways of addressing countries ruled by an invisible force.

I kinda thought the same. It's common practice in many ancient religions to explain unnatural phenomena through the existence of a god, for example the Olympian Dodekatheism. But since in this episode they were talking about radio waves, something that they do have knowledge of and can technologically explain but just don't seem to know everything about, i feel like the theme was how a government can control the masses through propaganda. Granted, we didn't see any form of higher hierarchy (not stupid policemen) controlling the people and causing fear.

But that is exactly what i loved. Subtle symbolism about religion is present, but it's all left up to our interpretation and not shoved to our face.

As it explained above, Shizu intent are to settle so most of the times what important to him if the country itself can be acceptable on his view rather than accept it the way it is.
In my opinion Shizu are kind of like a shounen character where they are always trying to change anything that not suit their believe while Kino are more like observer who most of the time prefer not to involved.
Kind of annoying tbh if i see Shizu as real life case when some minor immigrants with high and mighty pride demand a country to works with their way of thinking rather than compromize.
linuaNov 24, 2017 4:20 PM
Nov 24, 2017 5:04 PM

Jan 2014
An episode where a dog gets a lot of screen time. Dream come true.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 24, 2017 5:40 PM

Jun 2015
Got to see Shizu and Ti visit a country and not just Kino. The one they visited is so messed up. They were in complete denial on what's going on. It was cute to see Ti's interactions with Rizu. I loved it when she hugged him and called him friend.
Nov 24, 2017 5:47 PM

Nov 2014
I'd probably watch a show about Ti (cute) but not sure if I can be bothered about this series not having Kino in it.
Nov 24, 2017 5:53 PM

Mar 2016
Everyone's calling Ti cute but the little shit just threatened to kill a baby. You'd think after finding out she's a little stabby Shizu would teach her what is and isn't okay. Why is he even letting her keep the grenades?
Nov 24, 2017 6:25 PM
Jul 2018
This ep has convinced me that Kino's Journey 2017 is practically destined, to not capture the spirit of the old series.
Yes, this ep presents a really interesting and out-there idea (and a pretty frightening one): what would happen if society was in denial, of the root cause of something.
But the execution, presentation-wise, is shit.

The directing is crap: I don't think any of us could tell anyone how the general country looked like (due to the lack of extreme wide angle shots), or how location A was connected to location B.
When characters talked, it was just generic, basic, shot-reverse-shot directing.
And even the setting itself, is lacking: this episode would've been so cool if the country was made specifically out of a bunch of radios and weird shit, but instead, it looks like a typical Texas.
Nov 24, 2017 8:00 PM
Mar 2016
every one is calling this country messed up when according to the Sheriff this type of crime happens only in a few years and according to Shizu the countries economy is stable and the people besides the teacher are nice making this country quite good they just replace prison sentence with rehabilitation sentence which is like the same purpose of sending a criminal to prison to rehabilitate them and let them enter society once more and this type of crime only happens every few years maybe every 2 or 3 years which seems to make the people kind and crime at a very low rate maybe light offense like vandalism and stealing are treated as normal crimes and not blamed by the radio waves or people in that country dont really do commit crimes while in my country reports like a family being killed by a drunken rage father happens at least 3 times a year while our economy is although not poor but a little bit on the low end of desirable and rehabilitation of the teacher might take years before he can enter society again and the teacher didnt have any past crime that was mentioned by the sheriff which makes the attack out of the blue and the teacher might not get out of the insane state making the rehab process take forever
Nov 24, 2017 9:18 PM

Apr 2017
I did not see Kino for this episode instead we had the story of Shizu, Riku and Ti. I would say that most of the people in the Radio Waves Country were crazier. "To see is to believe." That is the lesson of this episode. Ti got a screen time in the last part together with the talking dog, it was relaxing.
Nov 24, 2017 10:18 PM
May 2017
Smudy said:
Very neat country here. They are stuck in their delusion/excuse that radio waves cause people to go crazy. Unable to face the hard facts that those were real crimes without outside influence and that they let the criminals roam free, they accuse Shizu of being influenced since that's their easy way out.

Better to cope with being influenced by a greater power from their point of view.

I thought it was really cool that Shizu adapted very well to the situation he had to face and thought of another way to lead them to the truth. Tells me that he learned from his previous experience IMO.

Then seeing Ti and the dog grow closer together awkwardly was very heartwarming, more of these three!

While we're at it, Photo next episode pls?

I would love more Photo but what would her story be about? Unlike Kino and Shizu she's already settled and found stability. I'd hate to take that away. Unless, of course, she meets Kino or Shizu.
Nov 24, 2017 11:02 PM
Jul 2016
Epicenter said:
I don't get why he told that guy his whole family and city would go crazy, does he expect that to motivate them into attacking the place and realizing the radio waves aren't real?

He expected him to realize that everything is a lie after seeing that nothing of what Shizu said actually happens.
Nov 24, 2017 11:22 PM

Feb 2014
Finally Ti is back!! Really loved how Ti changed the whole game in the confusion.

Btw is that radio country portaying America?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 24, 2017 11:48 PM

Oct 2012
Wait, why did that Grandma didn't bat an eye when a dog speaking "Thank you" to her, is it normal in that country? xD

Awww that was a sweet episode.. well other than the killing stuffs
I love this episode because of 3 of them
I don't know why but I prefer seeing those 3 than Kino and Hermes
I can't seems to like this new version of Kino and Hermes

Anyway, lovely episode
And it'll go back to Kino on the next episode
"Signature removed"
Nov 25, 2017 5:02 AM

Jun 2016
Every criminal on earth who are in jail and those who are still at large were under radio waves. Poor victims. Lmao. The mentality of those townsfolk, maan. Just when Shizu thought it's a very good country to live in, it's yet again full of messed up people who are so into their ways, they stopped accepting the fact that those people in their country who did bad things were victims of the radio waves, and shouldn't be punished. Goddamnit. Creepy as fuck.

Shizu's parting words, though. Haha. I wonder if that Chief is still sane. Pffft. Naaah, they're all insane.

Riku is such a cutie this episode. I wanna hug him so baaaaad. ;-;

Still having a hard time trusting Ti because yeah she stabbed Shizu, you can't simply ask me to trust someone who did that to someone that easily, maan. Too hard. Haha. So scared for Riku throughout the hours he's alone with Ti. And can they please take away those grenades far from her reach? Lmao. Creepy kid.

No sign of Kino and Hermes this episode which is fine by me, but I miss them two already.

Good episode, as always. :3 5/5.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Nov 25, 2017 7:52 AM

Mar 2013
Good Episode.

Also another Episode about Shizu's Team... Ti is cute in that last minutes of this Episode. Kind of miss Kino and Hermes but I'm fine with another view beside them...
Nov 25, 2017 11:15 AM

Nov 2014
Eight episodes through now and only four have actually been about Kino's journey. -___-
Nov 25, 2017 2:22 PM

Feb 2013
There is a distinct lack of Kino in Kino's Journey.
(Not) Kino's Journey
Everybody's but Kino's Journey

Blame the radio waves. Radio waves cause crime. Nothing else possibly can.
If their rehabilitation process works, are they really doing something wrong?

Kids shouldn't play with grenades. Except when fishing, apparently.
Nov 26, 2017 9:25 AM

Jan 2016
while the series did start off with a very rough footing, i've started to warm up to the new series
it's hard to go wrong if your source material is as good as kino
my few gripes so far are: it seems they're wasting a lot of episodes establishing the recurring characters in the series and not focusing on normal kino episodes.

I also think that "land of adults" should happen much earlier in the series and not at the end
Nov 26, 2017 9:32 AM

Jan 2016
The_Mad_Wizard said:
If you do, you're a filthy degenerate and deserves the almighty three-shoe beating.
Shizu is for Kino ONLY!
Do not forget that!

kino is for kino
tho I felt like she was interested in that girl who built the plane in the 2003 series.
Nov 26, 2017 11:00 AM
Apr 2012
Akariin_Akaza said:
The_Mad_Wizard said:
Shizu is for Kino ONLY!
Do not forget that!

kino is for kino
tho I felt like she was interested in that girl who built the plane in the 2003 series.

Well this "interest" was anime only.
Nov 26, 2017 1:26 PM

May 2010
God awful. I refuse to believe that this is an episode of Kino's Journey. I hate the edgy moeblob so much. I haven't been this triggered by anime in ages, lol. Probably because the 2003 version is one of my favorite series, and this colorful moe version has barely any of the charm that made me love the older one.
Nov 27, 2017 4:14 AM

May 2009
FranLawliet said:
God awful. I refuse to believe that this is an episode of Kino's Journey. I hate the edgy moeblob so much. I haven't been this triggered by anime in ages, lol. Probably because the 2003 version is one of my favorite series, and this colorful moe version has barely any of the charm that made me love the older one.

I don't know what you find "moe" in this version. Ti is cute as best, but that's all. ._.
Nov 27, 2017 5:25 PM

Oct 2008
What a very nice episode from Shizu, Riku & Tii!
only disturbing part was that mass murderer teacher who killed all of his students on his own classroom!
5/5.

Nov 29, 2017 3:19 PM

Jul 2016
It seems like this series is trying to focus on character development more than world development like in the original. That isn't necessarily a bad thing however, it isn't working for me and I just can't bring myself to care about Shizu, Riku, or Ti.
Which sucks because they took up the entire episode.
2/5 :(
MiharukNov 29, 2017 3:31 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2017

137 by milou1050 »»
Apr 14, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by the_v1gor »»
Apr 13, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

103 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Apr 6, 11:51 AM

» video game....

Videogamecoper - Dec 14, 2023

3 by ralfisagreatguy »»
Apr 3, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2017

133 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Mar 11, 12:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.