Forum Settings
Forums

Your favourite voice actor and is it possible to have a bias for characters voiced by him/her?

New
Nov 22, 2017 11:08 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
After reading through the thread about "Bias towards top tier animation studios" it got me thinking. Is it possible to have a bias to characters voiced by your favourite voice actor?
My favourite voice actor is Chiwa Saito. She voiced 4 of my favourite characters, a main character of my favourite anime and she also did my favourite OP.
When I see her in the voice actor list (especially as main character) there is a far higher change that I will check out the anime. I also tend to like characters voiced by her far sooner then other characters.
Does this mean I have some kind of bias to characters voiced by her (like all the characters voiced by her are really good) or is it just because of her voice that reminds me of other favourite characters?

Also if you hate a voice actor or a character do u have a bias to characters voiced by him/her/the same voice actor?
KushHazeNov 22, 2017 11:14 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 22, 2017 11:13 AM

Feb 2016
Yeah, possibly, but characters don't make anime good by themselves and voice isn't enough to like a character, so it doesn't matter in the end. It might make me curious to check out an anime and it might make me smile if I recognize her voice on another character, but that's about it.
Nov 22, 2017 11:16 AM

Jun 2016
My favorite JPN voice actor is Akio Otsuka because of the raw power and badassery his voice brings. He's part of the reason why Rider is my favorite character in Fate/zero. He also voiced characters like Blackbeard, Batou, and Shunsui kyoraku.

On the English side I will usually check out a dub if it has Crispin Freeman playing a big part.
Nov 22, 2017 11:20 AM

Feb 2014
The Saber from Fate/Prototype is one of my favorite characters, purely because he's hot af, and voiced by Sakurai, which just makes him that much hotter, so yea, if that isn't bias, I don't know what is.

There have been multiple cases where I ve watched a bad anime purely for the voice cast and came out of it happy even tho the voice in the back of my mind kept telling me it was shit, like Schoolgirl Strikers.

bias can come from basically anything, it's arguable that all of the storytelling standards and techniques we've come to love and call essential were born from bias instead of some sense of logic or "objectivity".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2017 11:26 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Nobuhiko Okamoto played all my favorite characters before it even dawned on me that he was voicing them. Fatal attraction. But he has nice range even playing soft cute leads in shoujo but obviously he's good at the sassy, powerful, angry boys Rin, Bakugou, Nishinoya.

And honestly I just end up finding him on my random picks now that I'm so attuned to his voice but I'll probably end up going through his cast list one of these days.

Nov 22, 2017 11:27 AM

Oct 2015
KushHaze said:

Does this mean I have some kind of bias to characters voiced by her?

Yes - but I do not see that or any other bias as a problem, not when you know you have a bias/ personal preference, and try to not confuse it with "objective good quality".

personally, for me favourite voice actors fall into two categories : I like their acting for this or that role/-type - eg. that very Saito Chiwa as Miyamoto Rebecca, I think that was very good work; or (and) I like the sound of their voice/ one of their voices - eg. Koyama Rikiya.

So far it has not condensed down to some few actors/-resses, instead there are a lot I like here or there.
BannoBunka_snorkNov 22, 2017 11:36 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Nov 22, 2017 11:30 AM

Mar 2016
Shizuka Itou for me. She has the voice of a goddes, her range is amazing and she has a sexy voice. I think I have a bias to characters voiced by her.
She voiced characters like Haruka from Amagami SS, Hildegard from Beelzebub, Akeno from Highschool DxD, Meiko from Prison School and her latest addition Rindou from Shokugeki no Souma.
Nov 22, 2017 11:31 AM

Oct 2013
I will like the sound of the character's voice but wouldn't say it causes a bias. I more so like a voice actor because they've voice characters I really like. So if I don't like another character voiced by them I will more so feel disappointed their voice is being wasted on that character
at least thats how I felt with Shizuka Itou's great voice being wasted on a character like Meiko
Nov 22, 2017 11:39 AM

Mar 2013
It might be a bit of both. Chiwa Saito is your favorite voice actor and hearing other characters with the same voice will remind you of the other characters that she has voiced. However, I get what you're saying and feel the same way because she's also one of my favorite voice actors.

When I heard Kuro's voice for the first time I immediately knew it was her and probably had a bias towards Kuro because of it, plus besides me knowing the voice actor, Kuro's voice reminded me of Senjougahara's, which is done by Chiwa Saito as well. So yeah, I guess we do have some bias for characters voiced by our favorite voice actors, but If that makes me enjoy the anime and its characters more then I don't think it's a bad thing.

Nov 22, 2017 11:40 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Well, Hayami Saori is my favorite, but there's only one of her characters in my top 10 favorite characters list, so I wouldn't say I would instantly give a character a higher spot than others because of it.

Especially since the thing I like most about her is that I can put some of the voices of the characters she has voiced side by side, and it seems kind of impressive to me because there are cases where I wouldn't have even guessed they shared a common voice actress, and they all sound damn good imo. As an example, I guess:

There's also the time where her performance as Jabami in Kakegurui is a huge part of what made me like that show, to the point where I don't think it'd be a stretch to say it boosted it from a 5/10 or 6/10 to a 7/10 for me.

But that's not really out of bias, I feel like, especially since a huge part of what makes her my favorite is being able to hold some of her roles side by side and be impressed that they share that link of a common voice actress, whereas usually for me it's like "Oh I can kind of see that connection now." And the Kakegurui thing was just that I really liked the performance there enough for it to have that huge of an impact on how I enjoyed it, and if it were a different voice actress giving a performance I liked equally as much in those circumstances I don't doubt at all that I would've done the same.
ManabanNov 22, 2017 11:46 AM

Nov 22, 2017 11:41 AM

Jul 2015
I always find myself rooting for characters voiced by hanazawa kana

But ... T_T
Nov 22, 2017 11:41 AM

Jan 2014
Nah, I don't really care about voice actors tbh. I appreciate what they do and respect them, but I don't really "like" anyone in particular. It's all about the directors, imo.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 22, 2017 11:53 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
alfondx12 said:
When I heard Kuro's voice for the first time I immediately knew it was her and probably had a bias towards Kuro because of it, plus besides me knowing the voice actor, Kuro's voice reminded me of Senjougahara's, which is done by Chiwa Saito as well. So yeah, I guess we do have some bias for characters voiced by our favorite voice actors, but If that makes me enjoy the anime and its characters more then I don't think it's a bad thing.

Omg I had exactly the same thing. xD
When I heard her voice she directly reminded me of Senjougahara.
I also think it is not particularly bad.
Nov 22, 2017 12:00 PM

Jan 2010
Totally! I always have bias to characters voiced by my favorite seiyuu.
Some of my favorite:
- Kamiya Hiroshi, but not all his voice. I like the pitch he used in Law and Levi. I this voice of his to be incredibly sexy. So smooth and deep @.@
- Okamoto Nobuhiko, absolutely love his voice from the cutesie, to the angry, to the psychotic. (Karma, Bakugou, Rabbit)
His soft voice is just so cute and he is sooo great at voicing emotional character like Bakugou, and I'm not talking about his screams, I'm talking about his performance in episode 24 of Heroaca S2
- Suwabe Junichi, sexy voice number two. I like his voice best in Atobe and Aomine.
- Ono Daisuke, sexy voice number three.
- Namikawa Daisuke, his voice range is incredible!
Nov 22, 2017 12:05 PM

Sep 2011
Nah. For instance, I really love Horie Yui's voice but there are characters voiced by her that I found truly annoying such as Siesta from Zero No Tsukaima. Another is Kitamura Eri and one of the characters voiced by her is Uni from Neptunia series and Uni is like my worst girl for Neptunia series.

Nov 22, 2017 12:23 PM

Feb 2015
Ofc since the VA directly impacts how you perceive the character. Doesn't mean you'll end up liking the character though, but it gives him a slight edge. I love Hitagi, yet Aika is probably my least favorite Aria girl.

And some people just can't suffer Kugimiya Rie after all.
rahillimitciNov 22, 2017 12:27 PM
Nov 22, 2017 12:27 PM

Jul 2016
Ehh, I put Aoi Yuuki in my favorites but that doesn't mean I find characters like Yoshiko any less insufferable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 22, 2017 12:30 PM

Jul 2013
@Manaban Your choice surprises me, I thought your favourite one would be Yuka Iguchi (don't ask me why, I just had that feeling). Not that your option is wrong or anything, since Hayami is pretty good.

To OP, I have too many to list them all, if you want to know them, you can check this.
And, yes, I tend to have bias respecting characters voiced by voice actors I like.

Nov 22, 2017 12:34 PM

Jan 2008
Sawashiro Miyuki's voice is like sex to my ears. I am biased towards any character voiced by her.
Nov 22, 2017 2:15 PM

Nov 2016
Yea that goes for me as well. Any character voiced by any of my favorite voice actors always mesmerize me.

However I don't have any voice actors I don't like except Kitamura Eri, and yea she totally sets me off and I don't like most of her characters.
Nov 22, 2017 4:43 PM

Oct 2015
It's more like I will get attracted to the show and want to see the VA's role, but I won't be bias unless I do like the character.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Nov 22, 2017 10:08 PM

Dec 2014
It's not biased of me to say I love everything that Matthew Mercer lends his voice too. He's literally god, so that's just the way it is.
Nov 22, 2017 10:11 PM

Jul 2012
My favourite is Toyonaga Toshiyuki and you guys know him as Yuri from Yuri on Ice or Mikado from DRRR!!. To be honest, some of his roles are amazing but I'm not a fan of some characters with weak personalities like Mikado. So I guess the voice bias doesn't work for me.

There's another seiyuu that I don't love that much but he does an amazing job on some of my favourites like Mutsuki Hajime and Sakamaki Shuu. He has a sultry, husky voice and it's soooo good despite me hating some of his roles, like Aijima Cecil.
Nov 23, 2017 6:07 AM

Aug 2015
Not really. I can recognise them immediately though. I really like Kenjiro Tsuda and he voiced a hero in One Punch Man but he definitely wasn't my favourite character, lol.

âťť falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. âťž
(♫)
Nov 23, 2017 7:46 AM

Mar 2012
I have a huge bias for Toshiyuki Morikawa and strangely enough his was the only voice that took me a long time to get used to when I initially switched from dubs to subs.

But thanks to listening to tons of drama CDs over and over again I can't help but scream "IT'S CONRAD!!!" whenever I hear him voicing some other character now T.T

On the other hand I have ended up with a bit of bias against Saiga Mitsuki, in no way do I consider her a bad voice actor but her voice, specially when she's voicing a male tsundere reminds me of Wolfram, the worst tsundere in the world!
Nov 23, 2017 9:03 AM

Oct 2015
I think it's very possible to have such a bias. I, for example, love the voice of Junichi Suwabe and I can more often than not look exclusively for anime series that has character(s) voiced by him, and only for that reason. That's the reason I started watching Fate/stay Night for example, or the reason why I watched the Cuticle Detective Inaba series.

I also have a huge bias when it comes to Toshiyuki Toyonaga, especially his singing voice. I don't watch this season's TsukiPro series because of the story (it's rather cringe tbh) but only because one of the characters is voiced by Toyonaga.
Nov 23, 2017 9:45 AM

Feb 2010
Sugita was my first VA who I paid attention to and whose name I remembered and I even checked out some shows mainly because he was voicing one of the mains. He just sounds super comfy and can easily be very funny if he wants to. Probably still my favorite overall.

My favorite performance ever is probably the one-off job Peco's VA did in Ping Pong. The guy doesn't seem to usually work in anime and has never worked in anime again since but I'll be damned if it wasn't the best voice acting performance I've heard in all my years.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 23, 2017 2:38 PM
Aug 2016
Whenever I hear Jouji Nakata's voice, I get a boner, so I'd say: yes.
Nov 23, 2017 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
Well kinda, sometimes I will check out shows if there's characters voiced by my fave voice actors, but it's up to the character's personality for me to decide if I'll like them.
Aidoru-OjisanNov 23, 2017 2:45 PM

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Nov 23, 2017 2:45 PM

Sep 2016
I have bias towards any character voiced by tomokazu sugita or takahiro sakurai because i can't get enough of these epic voices. I have even stronger bias towards anything related to mayumi shintani
Nov 23, 2017 3:13 PM

Sep 2013
I think it's possible. I used to be on a hunt for Kamiya Hiroshi characters because of Levi and Akashi until I realized most of my fave characters were dominated by Okamoto Nobuhiko: Accelerator, Usui, Io, Kashino, Rin, Noya, Kacchan, Karma, Usagi, Ryou, Yoichi, Obi, Momo-kun, Mikorin, etc. Now, every time he has a character in the anime I'm watching, they automatically become my fave lol. I thought it was because they always give him the type of characters I like.. but idk. It came to a point where I just look through old anime, he was in, to watch when I'm bored. Heck, I even play otome games he's in + the JP version of a MMO game because he voices one of the playable characters xD *regrets nothing*

There was also a time when my dislike for Eren (Kaji-kun) and Kirito (Tsugu-tsugu) made me avoid anime where the main characters were voiced by them. It really didn't help when the voice actor sounds the same no matter the character they voice-- Don't get me wrong, I adore both of them because they're hilarious in seiyuu events and such. But yeah.. that type of bias is possible too I guess~ I'm over it for Kaji-kun though (his ikebo won me over).. not sure about Tsugu-tsugu.
Nov 23, 2017 3:17 PM

Mar 2014
Megumi Ogata is mai voice actress waifu
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Nov 23, 2017 3:50 PM
Jul 2018
Could say so. Ume-chan is the reason I'm watching Children of the Whales and apparently his character is the best one over there and only character worth watching the series for.
Nov 23, 2017 3:52 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Johnny Yong Bosch obviously. Getsugaaaaa Tenshuooooo!!!
Nov 29, 2017 5:45 AM

Sep 2017
Not possible in my case. The seiyuu alone cant carry a bad anime.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Feb 14, 2018 6:05 PM

May 2016
Maybe, but that's because I really think Shinchiro Miki is a dope voice actor. I just love this mans voice
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Feb 14, 2018 6:06 PM

Apr 2013
Looking at my faves seems like it is.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Feb 14, 2018 6:26 PM

Sep 2017
i added nana to my ptw not because i'm interested in it or anything, but because my favorite seiyuu voices one of the main characters.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Feb 14, 2018 6:52 PM

Nov 2016
its hard to sit on the fence when your favourite/preferred voice actors are performing. i might even watch a random series i have no interest in (like probably killing bites) for aqua (konosuba).
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Feb 14, 2018 6:53 PM

Jun 2017
I love basically all roles that Minase, Inori and Namikawa, Daisuke play.

I'm a shitposter for fun
Feb 14, 2018 7:39 PM

Jul 2017
I love a lot of voice actors/actresses and have a lot of favourites. But I personally think I have a bias towards characters' voiced by Hiroyuki Yoshino or Hiroshi Kamiya... But not all the time that I will like their characters. (Like Shinji from Fate...)

I keep encountering more of both Hiroyuki Yoshino's and Hiroshi Kamiya's characters in my PTW list and at times can instantly recognise their voices. And I absolutely love their unique voice range~

Yoshino's voice as Allelujah from Gundam 00 and Kamiya's voice as Otonashi from Angel Beats is just... *fangirls* I want to hear more of their voices~
Mikura39Feb 15, 2018 1:53 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Feb 14, 2018 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really like a character just because they were voiced by a voice actor I don't dislike.

I do sometimes like certain voice actors less just because they voiced a character I hated though.
Feb 15, 2018 1:35 AM

Sep 2011
Nah I don't think so.

For instance, I love Horie Yui's voice but some annoying characters voiced by her like Siesta from Zero No Tsukaima won't change my heart.

Feb 15, 2018 1:48 AM

Sep 2017
Tatsuhisa Suzuki and Nobuhiko Okamoto are my favorites seiyuus. And, yes, I'm a bit biased when it comes to characters they voice. It's not like I will automatically like their characters, but I will surely put myself in a position where I'm more easily opened to liking them... if that makes sense. But if I eventually come to hate one of those characters, well, I guess there's no avoiding it. I also have to recognize their voice or see them in the cast before watching the show. I mean, if I already disliked a character, seeing he was voiced by one or the other later on won't magically switch the opinion I had of them. At best, improve it a little? Yeah... I guess I really am biased.
Feb 15, 2018 2:00 AM

Jul 2016
God Tier:
- Sugita Tomokazu, a freaking legend above all legends.
- Miyuki Swashiro, sexiest voice in the industry.
- Yuu Kobayashi, craziest voice in the industry.
- Akira Ishida, the king of contrast.

Demigod Tier:
- Kana Hanazawa, 2017 was his year.
- Hiroshi Kamiya, I hear Araragi power everytime and I don't even care.
- Daisuke Ono, maaaan Shizuo and Jotaro are powerhouses.

Amazing Tear:
- Aoi Yuuki, Tanya is his best work.
- Takahiro Sakurai, I love his work as Yasaburo.
- Saori Hayami, ultrawaifu voice.
- Takehito Koyasu, KONO DIO DAAAAA!!!

Man, I know a lot of seiyuus.
Feb 15, 2018 2:17 AM

Jul 2015
Akira kamiya makes me die of laughter with his impressive range, and I'm definitely gonna watch Hokuto no Ken and Detective Conan to get more of him. He's just so funny (^':
Feb 15, 2018 2:29 AM

Mar 2015
Sugita lmao every character voiced by him is instantly best guy
Feb 15, 2018 2:46 AM
Jun 2017
If I hate a VA, I'll hate any character they voice.

For example, I hate any character voiced my this VA - https://myanimelist.net/people/414/Brittney_Karbowski

Wendy from Fairy Tail - Hate
Himiko from Btoom - Hate (with a passion)
Lalena from Gate - I think you get the point.

On the other hand, if I love a VA because of a character, I don't like other characters having the same voice.

For example, I love this VA because of his work on Lelouch from Code Geass https://myanimelist.net/people/10/Johnny_Yong_Bosch

No one else should have the same voice as Lelouch.

Saruhiko from K Project - Cringe

And on the third hand, if I just generally like a VA, ill typically like most of their characters.
Feb 15, 2018 4:36 AM

Jun 2016
Kamiya Hiroshi. I really love how he voiced Izaya, my favorite character.

A lot of the characters I like are also voiced by him, but I think that's more of a coincidence than anything.

Active sometimes.
Feb 15, 2018 4:55 AM

Aug 2015
Well.. Lately I've been interested in Shouts Aoi and that made me watch an anime where one of the MC voiced by him so.. The answer is Yes!

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 3 minutes ago

0 by Rinrinka »»
3 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

15 by TRC_Randy »»
4 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 1 hour ago

4 by LightWorker »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

32 by nishant0 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.