Forum Settings
Forums

Why is your anime main score lower than your manga main score?

New
May 13, 2017 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
So, I saw many people here with a higher manga main score than anime main score (in most cases, the difference was 0.5-1.5) and I did the same. The question is: Why? What are your reasons?

I, for myself, can't give a proper answer either. Maybe I choose the things I read more careful, because I buy many manga I read / want to read. I also buy anime I watched, but you know, just my favorites. I don't know

What's your reason?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 13, 2017 7:27 AM
Jul 2018
I am more picky about manga than about anime, also some manga are adaptations of stuff I already liked and I just have better luck with manga.
May 13, 2017 7:29 AM

Jul 2013
Because I watch more animes than I read mangas.
I'm also very picky while selecting the mangas I want to read, so I just read in the most of cases the original source of series who hooked me enough to think reading their mangas was worthy.
May 13, 2017 7:30 AM

Oct 2015
I've read less manga than I have watched anime, meaning I'm more likely to appreciate what I do read since I don't have as much to compare it to within its respective medium. I'm also more selective with manga I guess.
May 13, 2017 7:33 AM

May 2014
My manga mean score isn't a good example of this, but I'm very picky with manga. Anime takes less time on average to watch, so it's easier to pick up stuff.
May 13, 2017 7:35 AM

Apr 2017
It possible where some adaptations do suck much more compare to the manga

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 13, 2017 7:35 AM

Jul 2016
Most of the manga I read are the source material of anime I already like, and I tend not to read the source material of those I don't. I tend to select manga more carefully, too, since I'll watch almost anything, but read only what I want.
May 13, 2017 7:36 AM

Nov 2016
It's pretty simple. Usually I pick up the manga of adaptations I already liked.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 13, 2017 7:36 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I guess it's because it's the original source of what we see animated and therefore it just has a right to be higher given adaptations won't always include everything we read and loved and might not even portray it right.
May 13, 2017 7:37 AM

Aug 2016
Most of the mangas I read were at least 15 or so years ago when I was in the bookstore except for 3, so there isn't much variety and it's mainly the most popular stuff.

Also for the lulz
May 13, 2017 11:37 AM

Aug 2016
Mine is higher, actually. Reason being that most of the time I choose to read ecchi garbage over all the potential favorites that I have listed on my PTR.
I honestly don't know why I do this to myself. I can't help it.
May 13, 2017 11:40 AM

Oct 2014
Because I've watched a lot more anime than I have read manga, it's only natural that the more you watch/read the more you'll come across bad stuff.
May 13, 2017 11:41 AM

Sep 2015
I watch way more anime than read manga. If I read as much as I watch I bet the score gap wouldn't be as big though manga score could still very well be higher than anime score
May 13, 2017 11:45 AM

Apr 2016
Because the manga is almost always better than the anime.

Huge example -

BERSERK
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Because I've only finished and rated 2 manga

If I ever did catch up this would be the same case, though, because I'm a stickler for physical copies and dislike reading stuff like that in digital format, and because buying a physical copy involves spending money I really only buy stuff from series I already like

Oct 2014
i used to only pick up mangas from anime adaptations i really enjoyed, so i got into them way more predisposed to enjoy them and rate higher.
Also the fact of there just usually being less stuff there also helps i watch way more anime so way more garbage than manga,that i usually only choose some slected few i am interested
May 13, 2017 11:48 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not really a fan of manga (so far) and I'm a lot more picky with manga than I am with anime. When I decide to read something I make sure it has potential to be good enough to be at least 6/10. I don't continue reading if it drops below 5/10 (unless it's very short) and sometimes don't even bother adding it to my list in such case.

Maneki-Mew said:
Maybe I choose the things I read more careful, because I buy many manga I read / want to read.

Also this. I prefer to have a physical copy when it comes to manga. I hate reading on the computer or phone and I rarely do so, I own most manga from my completed and currently reading list, and also some a lot from my ptr list (I tend to buy manga from which anime I like were adapted but I haven't actually read many of them, I sometimes also buy manga with good opinions on a whim - I will just sell them if I don't like them). Though if I ever become a more avid manga fan I'll probably read more on the internet, it would be crazy to buy everything (unless I have a really well-paid job in the future).
fuyukiMay 13, 2017 12:06 PM
May 13, 2017 12:00 PM

Dec 2010
My manga score is higher because a) I have always prefered manga to anime and I read a lot more manga than I watch anime (actually, I don't even watch anime anymore, total lack of interest in that now) and b) because I am also picky when it comes to the things I read so those on my reading list are usually those I really like and follow/read constantly.
May 13, 2017 12:03 PM

Feb 2010
1. I have way less manga than anime on my list
2. I'm way picker with the manga I start because I only read stuff once I own hardcopies. Which is why I mostly stick to a couple of amazing mangaka and don't really tend to check out random stuff blindly.
AlcoholicideMay 13, 2017 12:22 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
May 13, 2017 12:21 PM

Feb 2016
I guess its kinda like with old anime for most people - the stuff you read is usually filtered through time and others opinions. I dont really know how to explain it or care rn but I hope the idea is clear enough. Also the fact that some people dislike reading on screens and prefer having the physical version which usually costs money...

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

May 13, 2017 12:26 PM

Jul 2010
Surprisingly, I have the opposite (I was sure my anime main score was lower..I'm sure it used to be...guess I read too many average stuff lately and since I didn't read many mangas it impacted the overall score).
May 14, 2017 12:01 AM

Jun 2013
I'm picky because I buy my manga, so I have to make sure they are good and worth buying. Secondly, I have a low tolerance for manga as reading requires more effort than watching. If a manga doesn't grab me in the first 5-10 chapters, I don't bother adding them into my list. Way too many. I pirate my anime and it's easier to consume; I could power through even the shittiest one. Thirdly, I mainly watch anime based on manga so it's natural I prefer the complete and expanded version over the summary, thus the higher score.
May 14, 2017 12:05 AM

Aug 2008
Because I watch anime far more than I read manga.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
May 14, 2017 12:18 AM

Oct 2016
Interesting... Probably because I haven't read much manga compared to my finished animes.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 14, 2017 12:23 AM

Jul 2013
I find manga having better pacing and art compared to their anime adaptation. I read more manga than anime but a lot are still ongoing so ratings can still change!
May 14, 2017 12:29 AM
Jan 2017
I'm not much into manga but when i watch a really good adaptation which either ends abruptly or is discontinued, i definitely go for the manga...and every time the manga was superior.eg: claymore,berserk,code breaker

Mar 2015
it's harder to read bad manga than watching bad anime... as simple as that...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."

Aug 2016
I don't have a lot of manga read so of course I'm gonna start reading the ones that interest me the most. Also, I'll rate them a bit high since I have not made a standard for manga yet unlike anime w/c I have a standard due to to the number of shows I've already watched (I rank them based on each other). My manga mean score will most likely go down when I do start delving into the medium more.

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Jul 2014
maybe bcuz majority of the manga is better than the anime or simply ppl read more manga than watch anime
May 14, 2017 12:37 AM

Jun 2012
Lower sample size of manga I guess. My mean VN score is higher than my anime one and lower than my manga one, and I've read more of them than I have manga but seen more anime. So the more things I see the more my ratings bell curve matures and the closer the score gets to around 6.
May 14, 2017 12:42 AM

May 2015
Watch more anime, read less manga. Also, it's probably just me, but I'm much less critical to rating a manga compared to rating an anime, probably because I don't have to worry about aspects that are specific to anime like animation, sound, and voice acting...
May 14, 2017 12:52 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
1. You watch more anime in general and most people are thus more picky when it comes to reading manga
2. Manga entries are generally full series, whereas anime entries are either incomplete seasons or OVAs/specials etcetera. In other words there's a bunch of stuff likely dragging down your anime mean score which doesn't quite have an equivalent in your manga mean score
May 14, 2017 12:53 AM

Jan 2016
I guess because usually people have around 10 days worth of manga, for me the mean score is lower for manga.
The manga section is basically dead compared to the anime one.

Also probably a good amount of people picked up a manga just to know how a story will end. So if they went from the anime to the manga they probably already liked it an they are inclined to give it a good score.
May 14, 2017 12:59 AM

Sep 2014
Cause the Rabu Raibu Diaries isn't being translated so I only have, at the moment, one Manga rated a 10.
May 14, 2017 12:59 AM

Oct 2014
1) People read less manga than watch anime, therefore they generally watch more shitty anime than read shitty manga

2) Anime cuts out important base material sometimes and people get salty and butthurt about it.
May 14, 2017 1:59 PM

Apr 2015
A) I watch way more anime in comparison to the amount of manga I read, so the likelihood of me finding bad anime is way higher then finding bad manga.
B) I don't only pursue anime I think I'll enjoy, I'll also pursue series that might have an interesting concept even if I don't expect the execution to be that good.
C) There are more things to judge in anime then manga. Anime has Sound Design, Animation, and Color more often then not. While at first glance you'd think that means there would be more chances for anime to do better then manga by virtue of having these merits, it also means that it's possible for an anime to f*ck these things up while a manga never has to worry about that.
D) I typically scrutinize manga significantly more before picking one up then I do with anime. And that leads into...
D-2) ...the fact that I buy physical copies of over 75 percent of the manga I have read or will read in the near future. I don't want to waste my money on shit. ON the other hand, I don't spend nearly as much money on anime, and when I do it's typically on series I already have seen and I know I like.
Manga's a f*cking expensive investment because I insist on buying new copies to attempt supporting the creators. I don't worry about this as much with anime, as many of the series I have are outdated runs of series that were somewhat forgotten (My Rev. Girl Utena, Princess Tutu, Bokurano, Rahxephon, Strike Witches and Cowboy Bebop copies are all outdated versions)
E) Luck. Thus far, I've only read one manga that pissed me off (Strawberry Panic). As opposed...(Looks at MAL list). I don't exactly have the greatest luck in watch series.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
May 14, 2017 2:00 PM

Feb 2015
As far as I know almost all series I've watched is adapted from LN.. :/
May 14, 2017 2:48 PM

Apr 2013
It's exactly identical for me (6.15 for both) and I'm not doing it on purpose. Yet it kind of always end up like that after I add a few entries, going up a bit or going down a bit and becoming equal once again.
Don't ask me why, I don't know.
May 14, 2017 2:55 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Why? Because I've read far less manga than anime. Then, I pick up only interesting ones to me. And finally, I rate only things that I completed or I've read a ton of chapters of.
May 14, 2017 3:00 PM

Oct 2014
Mostly because I have watched a lot of anime shorts while I haven't read many manga one-shots. My anime mean is below 4.5 and my manga mean is above 8.5.
May 14, 2017 3:48 PM
May 2015
I think it's obvious. Manga is usually better.

zombie_pegasus said:
Mostly because I have watched a lot of anime shorts while I haven't read many manga one-shots. My anime mean is below 4.5 and my manga mean is above 8.5.

omg u have such a low anime score. How the...
jeikobu11May 14, 2017 3:52 PM
May 14, 2017 4:03 PM

Jun 2015
Cause I didn't actually fill in my manga list?
May 14, 2017 4:41 PM

Jun 2012
I've watched way more shitty anime than I've read shitty manga, and just enjoy manga more as a medium. That being said I'm sure my mean scores for both would be about equal if I rated one-shots.
May 14, 2017 6:10 PM

Dec 2016
my manga score is higher than my anime score because im too lazy to rate what ive read...
if i did rate my manga i'd probably be at 2.0 or below because i am burning in hell and filled with hatred
May 14, 2017 6:40 PM

Oct 2015
i have attention deficit (or something along those lines) so reading is a chore unless it's something that really grabs me. it'd also be a lot easier if i could get everything i want in physical format, but it's kinda hard out here and it's pretty expensive too. therefore i read a lot less manga than i watch anime. therefore i am exposed to less things i consider unworthy in manga than in anime.
the irony is i really, really want to read some manga, but i just can't get myself to do it. well, maybe one day. what's more, i used to be a huge comic book buff too. but anyway, that's the main reason. i also don't really do a good job updating my manga list, just because i don't care about it as much as i do about the anime one. it's usually a mess and very outdated
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 14, 2017 8:59 PM

Mar 2015
I can't even give a clear answer to this aha, especially as someone who read more manga than watch anime. I guess because (in retrospect) it takes more time to read than watch, I think. If I found an anime surprisingly interesting, I'll (usually) switch over to continuing the manga.

Otherwise, shame on my cow. pfft -

"Achieve not with the squad, but by yourself." - Urie

May 15, 2017 1:42 PM

Sep 2015
Well, I didn't rate any manga so far, but only because my ratings are referential ratings. I don't feel like I've read enough to define a standard. I chose to postpone my ratings until I feel like it finish 50 pieces of japanese literature and see if I'll be confident enough to rate them. So when I'll do rate, I expect my mean to be close to my anime ratings. Maybe a bit higher at first, but within the 0.5 range.
May 15, 2017 1:52 PM

Mar 2017
My scores are very similar in both anime and manga. I´m picky about anime, but I will read most of the things (manga, manhwa, whatever). I red way more anime than it´s on my finished list, I just don´t add and rate stuff from which I didn´t read that many chapters. I feel that it would be kinda unfair to rate something after 20 or so chapters. So I usually rate only stuff that I finished and liked :D
May 15, 2017 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
I mostly read "good" "recommended" manga, maybe that's why.
I still think this difference is not that pretty huge. :p

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 15, 2017 2:17 PM

Feb 2014
I have watched much more anime, and I have scored with many, many more times.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 49 minutes ago

7 by Paul »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
4 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

8 by Zefyris »»
5 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 8 hours ago

8 by piyowizfoot »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.