Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 19, 2016 9:14 AM

Sep 2009
Dr. Salt is Gendo confirmed, and there was also the train scene.

The different versions of Papika were fun. This wasn't the most interesting episode of the bunch, but I loved the very end.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Nov 19, 2016 11:04 AM

Dec 2012
Maybe Mimi got divided into 3 different girls? (Cocona, Papika, Yayaka - I always noticed how these three have their names similar sounding).

Another dumb theory lul.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Nov 19, 2016 2:04 PM

Dec 2013
Amazing episode as usually but really so many questions need answers ,I think the pure illusion
is not illusion after all Becuse it effected the real world like it effected senpa, but we will see in the next episodes I guess
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2016 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
Another episode with more fuel for Cocona questioning her sexuality. Some of these Papikas were actually boys and you could see that Cocona's actually in love with her. "Would it be okay if Papika was a boy?" You can't lie to yourself in your dreams, which is what Pure Illusion really seems to be.
Nov 20, 2016 12:06 AM
Jul 2018
Flashbacks for this episode was quite something given to the plot of the story for , surely of course if i was Cocona i too will doubt the pure illusion path due to all the crazy adventures
Nov 20, 2016 7:49 AM

Nov 2016
Papika is Rei confirmed.
Nov 20, 2016 1:52 PM

Aug 2016
Tbh, when I first watched Flip Flappers, I was not 100% sold on it coz I thought the yuri was gonna be subtext & the show a pile of mess. But thank goodness, the show is coming along just fine both in terms of the yuri theme & the overarching plot.

Cocona's journey to find herself amidst adolescence is clearly a journey to find her sexual identity (kinda like Utena) with every episode dedicates to developing the budding romantic relationship between the 2 girls. We have deep bonding moments where the 2 see each other as equal in ep 4, rejection of the trapping of the (horrific) Class S relationship in ep 5 (YKA, anyone?), & now Cocona accepting all of Papika (& possibly her sexual feelings for her, too).

With the last two eps, a bit more informations are given about the nature of Pure Illusion & its relationship to the real world. Nothing is completely solved yet and it does feel like more questions are raised with hints at possible glimpses into Cocona's & Papika's past. I'm glad that they are starting to address some of the plot points. Hoping that the next couple of eps will focus on clearing up the overarching plot, characters' motivations, & the mysteries behind Pure Illusion while having the yuri still going strong amidst the developments.

If everything does come together nicely in the end, FF may turn out to be my AOTS & possibly, AOTY.
Nov 20, 2016 4:40 PM

Oct 2013
Salt is gathering the fragments of his beloved Mimi so that he can put her back together again.
Nov 20, 2016 10:00 PM

Jan 2014
Cocona is ever so close to realizing her ~feelings~ for Papika. People are going to be so pissed when they realize they can't brush off the gay with "beautiful friendship" anymore.
Nov 20, 2016 10:10 PM

Dec 2009
Definitely one of my favorite series this season. I love that Cocona and Papika are slowly becoming canon.
Nov 21, 2016 5:06 PM

Nov 2014
I adore this series so much. I have so many theories that have begun conflicting heavily with each other and honestly at this point have no clue where the truth lies anymore.

At face value, I'd say Mimi was Cocona's mother (you can see her holding a child of similar hair color to Cocona). But hair color doesn't mean a whole lot for the two main characters since when they transform, their colors actually invert to each others colors - so it could be a small Papika. Since the whole Pure Illusion thing seems to deal with multiple realities, I have to wonder if everyone present in this show is from the same place.

I've been kind of fighting the theory that Papika and Cocona are the same person (or maybe even the same person from different realities) because I want them to be able to maintain a relationship past the ending, and both of those cases sound counterproductive to that.
Nov 21, 2016 11:54 PM

Dec 2009
Why would you throw out art? Give them out for free, maybe ask for donations for a few extra bucks in the process. Chucking stuff out is such a waste if someone would want them.

Creepy Papika (under the desk) was amusing... The yuri intensifies!

That crosswalk tune, where have i heard it before?

Jotakak said:
Cocona is ever so close to realizing her ~feelings~ for Papika. People are going to be so pissed when they realize they can't brush off the gay with "beautiful friendship" anymore.
What are you talking about? This was intended to be yuri from the get-go. The writer is a female who's a hardcore yuri lover. I didn't believe it at first, until i saw a translated interview with her.

Alhakam said:
Amazing episode as usually but really so many questions need answers ,I think the pure illusion
is not illusion after all Becuse it effected the real world like it effected senpa, but we will see in the next episodes I guess
It's the collective unconscious; a dimension of thought/mind. It affects people's reality by influencing them via their dreams - hence the bizarre nature. I didn't read that anywhere, it's my own educated hypothesis (i'm probably right too).
GenesisAriaNov 22, 2016 12:01 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 22, 2016 2:18 AM

Nov 2014
this show and Mankind Has Declined feel very similar to me.
Nov 22, 2016 7:22 AM

Jan 2014
GenesisAria said:
Why would you throw out art? Give them out for free, maybe ask for donations for a few extra bucks in the process. Chucking stuff out is such a waste if someone would want them.

Creepy Papika (under the desk) was amusing... The yuri intensifies!

That crosswalk tune, where have i heard it before?

Jotakak said:
What are you talking about? This was intended to be yuri from the get-go. The writer is a female who's a hardcore yuri lover. I didn't believe it at first, until i saw a translated interview with her.

Alhakam said:
It's the collective unconscious; a dimension of thought/mind. It affects people's reality by influencing them via their dreams - hence the bizarre nature. I didn't read that anywhere, it's my own educated hypothesis (i'm probably right too).

When did I state that it wasn't yuri from the get-go? My comment is directed at the people who refuse to acknowledge the romance between them.
Nov 22, 2016 7:31 AM

Dec 2009
@Jotakak
Oh, my bad, i misunderstood. Well that means i just supported what you said anyways.

Nov 22, 2016 3:23 PM

Oct 2012
That was really good.
Nov 22, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2014
GenesisAria said:

Yo links pls

and because of the character limit I just wanted to say how wonderful you are looking today GenesisAria, really nice.

Edit:
Nevermind I found it, she even quoted Yuri Danshi what a legend.

I had a strict set of rules for the genre and would discard anything that didn’t fit, like: “yuri should be defined as follows…”, “Aoi Hana is the pinnacle of yuri, nothing else even counts!” and all.

She understands.
WrongPriestNov 22, 2016 4:51 PM
Nov 22, 2016 5:46 PM

Dec 2009
WrongPriest said:
GenesisAria said:

Yo links pls

Here:
GenesisAria said:
Gersoncs said:

From the director's twitter:
https://mobile.twitter.com/binobinobi/status/784795128900706304

Also: https://yaranakya.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/on-yuri-2-changing-definitions/

This Ayana Yunico is the main writer for FliFla. And in fact her definition about yuri nowadays is quite relevant in what's being discussed here.

But thing is, the writer is a yuri fangirl who even write about yuri in a magazine. And the director also said the subtext is intentional.
That's pretty convincing indeed. That doesn't necessarily mean 100% love-love yuri, but it definitely does mean it's more likely. Thanks!
I guess that justifies the rumours, of which most people probably passed on without knowing where they came from, making it hard to take seriously XD

Yuri fangirl? I approve!!

Edit:
I'll post it anyways.

and because of the character limit I just wanted to say how wonderful you are looking today GenesisAria, really nice.
Character limit? Thanks i guess? lol

- - - - Edit:
LOL! i didn't realize how kinky the hell mental picture was cuz it went by so quick

Cocona is a real closet perv.
GenesisAriaNov 23, 2016 11:30 AM

Nov 24, 2016 5:27 AM

Feb 2015
wtf wtf wtf
WHO IS MIMI????
god dang it that glimpse of a plot twist in the ending is killing me right now.
overall, it was a really good episode as always. so many mystery in this episode or what i thought lol. next episode, i hope everything will be revealed with that mimi person and moreover, she has some connection with papika and dat mysterious guy in the end. really looking foward to the next episode.
Nov 24, 2016 7:19 AM

Oct 2008
weirdest episode yet?
The jikogu visual illustration is more like BDSM torture themed...
on the last part looks like Papika's memories are slowly emerging and that dude who was hiding has some aura the same time the fragment aura showed-up...like he's a relative of Papika? might be her parents?
4/5.

Nov 25, 2016 3:09 AM

Jul 2007
WrongPriest said:
GenesisAria said:

Yo links pls

Edit:

I had a strict set of rules for the genre and would discard anything that didn’t fit, like: “yuri should be defined as follows…”, “Aoi Hana is the pinnacle of yuri, nothing else even counts!” and all.

She understands.

While the quotes are correct Ayana Yuniko has not been involved with the project after sixth episode.
https://twitter.com/unicococ/status/797071053650468864
Nov 26, 2016 7:38 PM

Feb 2013
This episode raises the question: what are they taking OUT of pure illusion?

In the last instance it was art-girl's love of art. What is unclear is the cause (removal of the amorphous or going in too deep).

I'm not sure who's "dream" they were in this episode, but with this new information I found the whole thing troubling (in a good way).

That indirect kiss with boy-Papika!
(Papika was born in pure illusion?, that ending...)
5/5
Nov 27, 2016 6:13 AM

Dec 2012
I'm a little confused after this episode, but it was beautiful as usual. Cocona began to think about Pure Illusion and what could be the result of their actions.
We only say Cocona in this episode, but Papika also seemed to search her friend
Nov 27, 2016 8:53 PM

Nov 2008
GENDER-FLIPPED PAPIKA IS ADORBS.

I approve. I bet much fanart was made.

somehow a gender-flipped Cocona might be even cuter tho

Dec 8, 2016 2:56 AM

Jul 2009
A world full of Papikas! Cocona how can you not love her?!
Dec 26, 2016 7:45 PM

Jan 2013
I quite liked this episode and the many different versions of Papika. They should just kiss already though
Jan 4, 2017 6:15 PM

May 2012
Interesting episode, especially that ending I must say! Really lovely! Let's see what's next!

Kek those credits :p
Jan 4, 2017 7:32 PM

Jan 2016
Sheesh, that scene of hell was unsettling.

lol, the nail clippers. That's pretty blatant.

Cocona really did pull off the delinquent look super well.
Jan 16, 2017 10:52 PM

Dec 2011
This episode... hoo boy.
So Cocona is subconsciously trying to figure out what Papika means to her. Through these different forms she basically asked herself, is Papika like a sister to her? No? Well then, is Papika just a friend? If Papika was a boy, would she feel differently? etc etc.
It's interesting bc when Papika turned into the pretty boy, she still had blush on her cheeks. The last Papika, who represented 'thoughts she shouldn't have' i.e. sin (symbolized by the horns, the "wanting to have fun" advances)... and the prior questions she asked of Cocona before, I think she's slowly realizing that "Papika is Papika / I like Papika."

I love how gentle that entire scene was, too. Probably my favorite so far.

GenesisAria said:
LOL! i didn't realize how kinky the hell mental picture was cuz it went by so quick

Cocona is a real closet perv.

When this scene rolled around I instantly thought of the triptych The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch, if only because there were so many images of Cocona and Papika in hell thrown in there + the prior character was a painter/liked art. It fits so well with the themes of this episode as well: sexuality, lust, sin,.. avoiding sinful pleasures, etc.
Jan 18, 2017 4:19 AM

Mar 2015
Papika put through a trope cloning machine this week!

Also this world felt really creepy. Cocona was alone almost all the way!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Feb 19, 2017 9:11 AM

Jul 2013
Such a trippy episode! The many faces of Papika was pretty interesting. I still want to know more about the whole Pure Illusion.
Mar 14, 2017 4:52 PM

Feb 2015
Having all of those different Papika's was so cute and funny - but also so lonely. Cocona was once again feeling bad about just what the hell they are doing in the perfect illusion and that mimi stuff at the end might have something to do with Papika's past - which I really would like to know about. Every episode has its own little touch while keeping a coherent - albeit sometimes messy - plot progression. Really like this anime.
Jan 28, 2018 7:47 PM

Jan 2018
15:00 were have I heard that music before?? It made feel really strange, like if something very fucked up is about to happen. maybe in madoka.. or is it a normal trafic light music... I NEED ANSWEERS Why this music feels so obscure and gives me a de ja vu???
May 22, 2018 12:23 AM

Nov 2017
This show has a tendency to throw me into some sort of emotional hole while, this episode being watching Cocona trying to find Papika and encountering numerous versions of her before being ultimately saved by her in the end. I love the way this series has carried on so far
Aug 27, 2018 9:36 PM

Feb 2018
i love papika so its ok .

amazing animation ... and yayaka shes just so ruthless all the time!! can you be nice in this show pls
( give the wish stone back or whatever )

even though i felt bad for yayaka this episode i hope she gets dropped by the other squad
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2018 4:12 PM

Jun 2014
abyss_will said:
15:00 were have I heard that music before?? It made feel really strange, like if something very fucked up is about to happen. maybe in madoka.. or is it a normal trafic light music... I NEED ANSWEERS Why this music feels so obscure and gives me a de ja vu???

The song is called Toryanse. <~ Click the link to read about it. The Wikipedia page also has a large list anime/media that reference the song.
Nov 18, 2018 7:32 PM

Jan 2018
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
abyss_will said:

The song is called Toryanse. <~ Click the link to read about it. The Wikipedia page also has a large list anime/media that reference the song.
Its been 11 month but thank you my friend, you answered a question I had long forgotten about
Nov 18, 2018 7:36 PM

Jun 2014
abyss_will said:
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

Its been 11 month but thank you my friend, you answered a question I had long forgotten about
:) I answered just in case anyone else was wondering
Jan 30, 2019 12:42 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I love the thought that went into this and exploring the relationship of Papika to Cocona. And the entire conversation of "love" and Cocona reluctancy in getting attached to something so outside her comfort zone despite everything in her life happening.

The only thing I'm sad about is, it seems like Papika got to meet some different Cocona's? We were robbed!!

Oh man, plot incoming.
Feb 2, 2019 7:07 PM

Sep 2014
So, with all the different papika versions (and I guess every single one loved cocona) we could get an OVA focussed around different Cocona versions, right?

So far we had 3 solid 10/10 episodes. How this sits at the most mediocre of scores (7.7) is beyond me. Curious to see how this continues, Im glad Im finally watching this now.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 6, 2019 4:50 PM
Aug 2018
That was one strange episode. They didn't even turn Irodori back to normal and now they open the next mystery with "Mimi".
Mar 31, 2020 3:47 PM

May 2013
Oof. They noticed Yayaka is getting too soft :(

Loved seeing all the diff Papikas. I'm sure Papika saw all the different Coconas as well. Would've loved to see that hahah

Ikeman Papika and Emo Hermit Papika were my personal faves XDDD oh, and also Delinquent Papika hahahah
May 5, 2020 12:18 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Again. Another mind-blowing games added to pure illusion almost choking my entire life. I dont quite follow the whole story building tbh, gladly watch next to seeing what will happen to the relationship of Coco and Papi Papu lost identity girls. Let see how this show ended my misery.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 21, 2020 4:07 PM

Feb 2020
I really liked this episode's message !
Changing is good, but sometimes it is hard for us to accept a different version of the person we used to know.
Aside from that, it seems like this episode actually hinted at a lot of stuff regarding Papika, but for now it is hard to know what exactly it is supposed to mean. Could she be "Mimi" ?
Also, I'm intrigued about what is going on with Yayaka being forbidden to enter and her acolytes being seemingly used for experiments or something like that.
FafetteAug 21, 2020 4:55 PM
Mar 21, 2021 4:34 AM

Feb 2020
A little strange episode, but entertaining as always.

All those different Papika and their personalities were funny.

SerafosDec 17, 2023 5:52 AM
Oct 4, 2021 12:12 AM

Feb 2019
Unlimited Papika's

Mimi?
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Nov 8, 2022 6:17 AM

Oct 2022
I really like that they showed the individual components of a PapiCo. Cocona just going with the flow, Papika bustling along nudging at the barriers. The fact that Papi actually followed through and rescued Coco. Now I wanna know what the two lab techs are in the business for.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Flip Flappers Taken Off of HiDive!

Pish_Posh - Dec 3, 2023

0 by Pish_Posh »»
Dec 3, 2023 7:37 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2016

189 by Atsunome »»
Nov 12, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2016

142 by Touka »»
Oct 22, 2023 1:08 PM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2016

143 by Touka »»
Sep 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Flip Flappers Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2016

188 by natraesitur »»
Jul 5, 2023 11:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.