Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2009 9:51 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ok, I'm thoroughly confused. Apparently, Nono IS a Gunbuster! WOW!!! Topless my ass! I never believed that alien could be one the moment I saw it. But I guess that still leaves alot of unanswered questions. Oh yeah.

Bye bye Twins!
Dec 14, 2009 7:01 PM

Jan 2009
gotta say, this is the very, ultradevelopment!
who could predict this truce?
I was, completely on the edge of my chair in the scene of Ancient Buster Machine's resurrection

especially, Physical Reactors on the both hands are cool
Feb 9, 2010 11:19 PM

Apr 2008
That's not very nice to the planet, cutting it in two~
May 15, 2010 11:32 AM

Feb 2009
Ok, now that's what I call a turn...

Things are getting pretty hot, I loved the huge monster and the action, still the characters are horrible.
May 30, 2010 8:24 AM

May 2009
Im confused...

So now there's 2 enemies. Who have they been fighting all along? The bug in the first ep looks similar to the bigass alien in this one. His needles also look similar to the ones from the last ep. Wtf?

And what was that the twins fed Nicola...

edit
ok its explained in the next ep
benshermanMay 31, 2010 7:19 PM
Jun 3, 2010 10:26 PM

Apr 2008
This over the top action was what I expected, so good job.
Jul 18, 2010 9:47 AM

Jan 2010
Awesome, simply awesome.
Nov 9, 2010 11:51 AM
Jan 2009
Reminded me of Gunbuster ep 4
Dec 8, 2010 2:43 PM

Feb 2009
Warpu desu~
Cool episode.Looking forward to more planet-destroying moves from Nono.
Urufuzu_reinDec 8, 2010 2:51 PM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Feb 6, 2011 3:21 PM

Aug 2010
Well I guess it makes sense, no? Since she IS a robot.
Mar 11, 2011 4:09 AM

Oct 2009
Ok that was just stupid >.>
Eh it was fun though ^^;
Mar 17, 2011 2:12 PM

Sep 2009
That was truly glorious. ;A;
Apr 8, 2011 11:21 PM
Mar 2009
LOL, so she IS the Gunbuster. Not only that, but she can create freaking black holes in her hands. WOW.

This episode was a HUGE turnaround. So apparently the space aliens they were fighting this whole time weren't the bad guys and there was a REAL one in Titan that the twins resurrected. I'm scared to find out just how old the twins were...

Lol, another over-the-top ending. Slicing the freaking planet in half. Looks like she really is only good at slicing things in half.
May 25, 2011 4:44 PM

Apr 2009
Looks like they solved the problem of time dilation effects on FTL travel here which presented quite a dilemma back in first Gunbuster series. Anyway poor Casio was left alone on Pluto. Besides that, why isn't Casio wearing one of those customizable cute space suits? Unless of course, those were limited to current Topless pilots only.

Eckk the meat was from that thing? I so feel for Nicola right now. Well at least the mysterious and annoying twins are gone.

ChronosXIII said:
LOL, so she IS the Gunbuster. Not only that, but she can create freaking black holes in her hands. WOW.

This episode was a HUGE turnaround. So apparently the space aliens they were fighting this whole time weren't the bad guys and there was a REAL one in Titan that the twins resurrected. I'm scared to find out just how old the twins were...

I didn't imagine she will do quantum leaps in development and power-ups as well, from a normal looking human girl at first glance to robot to Gunbuster!

Actually I'm more afraid of knowing what's more out there in the Gunbuster universe that's out to get the human species!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 9, 2011 5:35 PM

Aug 2009
Simply awesome!

No need for explaining, lets just cut planets in half!
Sep 12, 2011 3:04 AM

Jul 2011
That was quite something. The visuals were chock full of eye candy!

I'll probably have to rewatch this OVA if things don't get any clearer. Who are the twins? What was that carcass/skeleton on Pluto? How is Nono a Buster machine?
Sep 20, 2011 8:48 AM

Apr 2011
Gorgeous visuals, but very little made much sense. I thought a Topless was a human being with special powers who could pilot the Buster Machines ... so how in the hell is that huge, badass sandworm-thing a Topless?!? Hopefully they'll explain what the hell is going on with that next episode, or I'll have to re-watch the explanation. I wonder if the super-alien was a one-of or if it represents a third faction added to the mix. Either way, seeing Nono CUT FUCKING TITAN IN HALF was badass as hell. She really is just good at slicing things, LOL.

I wonder who built Nono, and what sort of other powers she might have up her sleeve. She doesn't need a goddamn giant robot, LOL, she IS the Diebuster.
Jun 29, 2012 3:48 PM

Apr 2011
Now Nono can be friends with the "buster" group, but too bad they director killed off all the other girls who were mean to Nono.

:p
Sep 7, 2012 5:21 AM

Sep 2012
Oh my god. She's a Buster Machine, and she cut Titan. Ok.

Epic episode. I'm drooling all over my keyboard.
Feb 2, 2013 9:26 PM

Jul 2008
Now that was a heavy dose of GAR. Death, over the topness, and SHE'S A BUSTER MACHINE!
Feb 26, 2013 8:13 AM

Sep 2008
I thought she only splits dishes... but the planet along with the aline monstah was O_O loool epic
~_~ !
May 31, 2013 12:26 AM

May 2013
Awesome revelations in this episode. The earlier episodes had been fun but this dialed it all up to 11 (and then some).
SQ5 said:
Bea is dead. In an alternate future she would've borne your son. In the future past of Space Quest 4, your son would've saved your life. But she didn't, so he couldn't -- therefore you aren't.
- Space Quest 5 death scene
Jun 1, 2013 8:11 PM

Apr 2012
Splitting a planet in half very casually, Nono <3

Awesome episode, had my attention every single second it lasted.
Jun 16, 2013 5:54 AM

Feb 2009
el_putazo said:
Mike_the_Great said:
Splitting a planet in half very casually, Nono <3

Awesome episode, had my attention every single second it lasted.
Not trying to be a troll.

But actually it was Jupiter's moon "Titan".

You're a bit wrong too. Titan is Saturn's moon.
Jul 27, 2013 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
hmm, i dont really know, gunbuster really had something special going for it, diebuster just feels so...
eh?
the gunbuster in gunbuster was a force to be reckoned with, and was mankinds only hope at survival for most of the entire series.
but here in diebuster theyre just another mech (theres more than 30) and nothing seems to carry the same impact as gunbuster did. when noriko defended the exelion in gunbuster, that had so much weight to it.

here, it just feels so eh.
but i will admit, that (real) space monster was done very well. and its laser beam was pretty damn awesome.
Aug 30, 2013 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
It's nice to see that Nono has found her true power and became a buster machine (seriously).
But I find it hard to believe that cutting the planet in half was a good idea, despite the state it was in.

I guess that planet doesn't matter anymore. :P

Am I the only one who thinks the washing machine room would be a perfect place to relax in at 12:45 - 13:12?
Love the lighting!

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
Dec 6, 2013 11:18 PM

Jan 2010
Holy crap that was amazing. I can see how this could lead into Gurren Lagann.
Dec 27, 2013 5:07 PM

Apr 2012
so beyond ridiculous xD

Don't worry, Titan's only a moon guys
Dec 29, 2013 9:45 PM

Nov 2011
That is one ugly space monster. I admire Nono's determination to get her own Buster Machine though. BUSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
Apr 14, 2014 9:21 PM

Apr 2013
This was awesome. I didn't expect it. She overpowered them all.
Xipe1912Apr 14, 2014 9:40 PM
Jul 9, 2014 11:32 AM

May 2012
This was one impressive episode! Loved the character development and the amazingly epic action! That ending was almost overkill but well let's see what's next!
Jul 9, 2014 6:57 PM

Oct 2013
that was fucking badass!!!
she cut the planet XD oopse
happy those twins died fucking bitches
well I hope they died
can't wait for the next episode hopefully it's as badass!!!
[/quote]
Dec 5, 2014 12:38 PM

Sep 2013
HARD WORK AND GUTS MOTHAFUCKA
Aug 10, 2015 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
That was an awesome episode.
Things are getting pretty over-the-top, what with Nono being a Buster Machine.
Nov 4, 2015 11:15 AM

Feb 2013
Nono fucking badass, cutting planets in half (*0*)/

Jun 27, 2016 1:06 AM

Apr 2012
nono is a buster machine what is happening 10/10
Jul 26, 2016 1:47 PM

Sep 2015
Well I can honestly say I did not see that coming. Any of it really, all of the side/background characters who die horribly, the sandworm from Dune (that may be the monster from the original Gunbuster?) and certainly not Nono being the super secret legendary Buster. I think I'm going to have to see what they do with that last one, before I fully pass judgement on whether or not it works for me. But as of now I was really impressed by it. Certainly surprising, but didn't feel unearned, and her DBZ esque glowing hair was awesome. Much like the legendary fourth episode of Gunbuster, this installment has totally shaken the foundation of the series leading up to this. And our heroes are going to have some serious obstacles as we enter the final hour of this show.

I really liked Nono's plot leading up to this, although my enjoyment of it was certainly thrown by that crazy ending. The Twins turn out to be evil (surprising I know), and send her to Pluto to accomplish an impossible task. Nono being irrepressible decides to attempt it anyway, and her journey there with the help of Casio was visually one of the more unique sequences of the series until now. Still not sure what the deal was with Casio's little break down though (besides the obvious that he's not as powerful/capable as he thinks he is). In the end though it all turns out to be a trap, with the Twins using Nono as a decoy. We learn by the episodes completion that Nono attracts the monsters the Topless have been fighting off, the twins knew this and exploited it. We also learn these monsters are not the kaijuu from the first series, hopefully more explanation on that and why Nono's a buster next time.

I don't think anyone has it rougher here than Lal'C. She still can't accept Nono entirely, her rejection of her in the pilots locker room was quite sad and reminiscent of Amano's rejection of Noriko in the first series. It's ultimately her refusal to accept her, that causes Nono to embark on her Plutonian journey something Lal'C is aware of and feels guilt about. With all of these mixed emotions I can't imagine how she'll deal with the episodes big reveal next time. As well as the aforementioned slaughter of various minor characters including every Topless Pilot but her, Tycho and Nicola. The Twins are also killed here by their own hubris trying to control some crazy space monster. Not sure if that will have serious consequences moving forward.

After the last two episodes have been fairly straight forward tales of triumph in the face of adversity this episode shows a real tonal shift. A pretty grim one that doesn't bode well for our characters happiness. It also continues Diebusters streak of visually rich, viscerally exciting space opera action. And mirrors the iconic first appearance of the Buster in the previous series, with quite a unique twist. Plenty of questions and stakes remain as we towards the end of this impressive OVA.
Sep 17, 2016 2:05 PM

Feb 2015
Screw the twins!

Goku might've found a new rival here.
Nov 10, 2016 3:38 PM

Apr 2010
Now I truly believe that this show is TTGL's Onee-sama!! that was FREAKING EPIC!!
Dec 1, 2016 4:50 PM

Aug 2014
So many deaths for characters that I did not give a flying fuck about, and to make matters worse, I honestly have no idea who died there. (names were being thrown around but I can't for the life of me remember who's who)

Thank God Nono didn't get robbed of a Buster Machine this time or rather IS one herself lol. Now I see why everyone was calling her a robot.
Hopefully Lal'C will now drop her bullshit tsundere attitude towards Nono because she's been starting to annoy for a while now.

Epic episode!
KashKetchumDec 1, 2016 4:55 PM
Mar 4, 2017 2:09 PM

Sep 2012
Okay, whose ass did they pull that plot twist from?
Jun 7, 2019 12:15 AM

Sep 2013
I know I'm totally in the minority here, but I'm totally not enjoying this series regardless of the big explosions and "epic-ness" of the whole thing. I think it's because the characters are all such moody assholes. Other than Nono, there's not a single character I like. I'm rooting for the space monsters to devour the whole lot of them right before Nono blows the monsters to Hell.

1/5

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 23, 2019 7:03 PM

Sep 2017
That was one of the biggest asspulls I have seen in a very long time and it was fucking hilarious.
Jan 11, 2020 2:02 PM

Mar 2017
God damn, the visuals and sound design in this show are just stunning.
Mar 25, 2020 9:05 PM

Jun 2015
RIP Jupiter.
Funny that this came out when Pluto was still called a planet.
This episode was 200% Gainax yeah
Apr 20, 2022 6:38 PM

Dec 2018
so those weren't space monsters they were gunbusters just trying to retrieve nono to begin with, the humans got confused and started fighting them?
this would have been better as an entirely separate series to be honest.
Nov 25, 2022 11:49 PM

May 2020
did she just slice jupiter lol
Nov 21, 2023 1:46 PM

Nov 2014
There was no logic or weight behind anything happening in this episode, it was completely empty and meaningless. Whereas FLCL makes me feel like there's a fire blazing in my heart after every episode, Diebuster mostly just passes by with no reaction whatsoever.
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Jun 2021
Resume of the episode: I DON'T!!!!!...NEED A BUSTER MACHINE...... BECAUSE.... I AM THE BUSTER MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MK - Aug 12, 2008

147 by Jacktwelve17 »»
Jan 5, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - May 15, 2010

27 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 20, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 2 Discussion

naikou - Sep 30, 2008

46 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

56 by OneMoreFinal »»
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.