Forum Settings
Forums

People who've seen like 500+ anime, how do you keep finding good things to watch?

New
Jul 27, 2023 7:06 PM

Feb 2017
I haven't even seen that much but sometimes even I feel like there's not much left to get around to. I know it's not really true as there's still a lot out there. And I know new stuff is coming out each season but besides those seasonal shows where do you 500+ completed people find worthwhile anime? Who do you follow for recs or how do you go about digging through stuff? And what things are you currently watching?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 27, 2023 7:24 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I've been watching anime for more than 10+ years and when I was a kid I simply watched what was on TV and what I could find from DVD stores, I didn't think much about whether I would like it or not back then, I just watched blindly.
Then when I finally had internet I simply looked at the synopsis and just watch the ones which look interesting and without realizing I already watched 500+ anime.

I almost never take recommendations from anyone, like 99% I just went by hunch.

Nowadays I've been more selective though because I don't have time as much as before and there are so many new anime appearing like rain. I'm still watching few seasonals as usual.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jul 27, 2023 7:27 PM

Nov 2018
You might feel like that because maybe you're not willing to open out and experience different anime that aren't within your comfort zone. Try exploring the DB and see what interests you. Go start the likes of Gundam or Gintama as there's weeks worth of content available just from those two franchises alone.

Even I have so much left to complete, it'll take me decades to burn through most series.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jul 27, 2023 7:30 PM

Oct 2014
I think it actually gets easier, or maybe people who have already gotten to that point are less picky and have the ability to keep going further. You do learn about your taste the more you watch, though, which makes it easier to determine which shows you'll like and which you won't, meaning someone with more anime seen could actually have a better chance of their next anime being something they like compared to someone who's seen fewer anime even though technically there's fewer left that they'll enjoy.
Jul 27, 2023 7:41 PM

Sep 2018
I shifted heavily into reading more manga and now just follow the new seasonals that I like. 

I rarely pick up old shows anymore, although that definitely doesn't mean I've watched everything good, but I find it hard to commit to older shows with multiple seasons. Manga works better for me because you can read a chapter in a few minutes and take breaks as frequently as you want. 
Blanks.
Jul 27, 2023 7:48 PM

Feb 2016
I discover all my anime through this website. I'm surprised I've been able to find so many. I've been feeling like I'm running out for the past couple of hundred titles. I'm currently watching Mr. Ajikko, a show I added to PTW years ago. I heard it didn't have good subs, but I was able to find good subs.
その目だれの目?
Jul 27, 2023 7:57 PM

May 2017
Honestly, seeing the quality of the new anime coming out I don't blame anime new-comers for feeling that there isn't much left to watch. There's so much older anime that you could explore that is, in my opinion, much better. I find anime through MAL recs, combing through the database, from friends who also enjoy older anime, and doing various anime challenges on MAL (such as the yearly Anime Watching Challenge). I'm currently watching anime from the Gegege and Gundam series.
Jul 27, 2023 8:10 PM

Aug 2014
For me, I had times where I wasn't picky at all so I watched whatever was out there. After years of that I got a bit tired of it so, I searched and found the genres and eras of anime I enjoyed the most and watched those before everything else. That by itself led me down many rabbit holes where I found stuff I'd never heard about. Retro and non-retro shows, movies, OVAs, etc. got added to my list all the time on top of the list I already had/have, making it much more fun to watch shows than just watching everything that comes out seasonally. Lots of stuff I found that were very niche or nearly unheard of are usually always on youtube as well, so that helps out. By the time I looked at my list I was well past 600 anime entries. Currently I'm only watching 2 seasonal shows, which is my max cause of how many things I have on my plan to watch list that I rather watch.
Jul 27, 2023 8:10 PM
Jul 2009
Not exactly what you were asking, but I simply watch less. Most of the shows that I would imagine I'd like that I haven't watched/completed are the huge investment series. I instead use that time for other tangentially related hobbies. If you like reading, Visual Novels are a great alternative to manga/LNs and where a lot of shows' source material comes from (Like Clannad)
Jul 27, 2023 8:33 PM

Jul 2021
I simply look at Mal's most popular shows/ a studio's highest rated anime/the highest rated show of a particular genre, and look for the ones I haven't seen then watch.
I don't even read synopsis anymore. Just jump in. I don't put that much faith into Mal scores but it's useful to know what the community really enjoyed.
Jul 27, 2023 8:36 PM

Oct 2013
Combination of multiple things at the same time. Lacking in other stuff I was interested in watching and not being as into games led to me just watching anything that looked even remotely interesting. That's how I got to where I am anime wise. That and not really dropping anything for years accounts for a decent chunk of that list.
Jul 27, 2023 8:37 PM

Dec 2019
The problem is you're only trying to find "good" shows.

I say FUCK that, watch old, obscure shitty shows with zero redeeming qualities (aside from entertainment value) and you'll either have a blast or find yourself much more genuinely intrigued by the novelty of finding these old shit-stained gems and expand your horizons -- or both like me! There is pleasure to be derived from watching bad pieces of media. I wouldn't have watched Apocalypse Zero or The Room if I hadn't known of their terrible reputation.
Jul 27, 2023 8:39 PM

Feb 2020
- rewatching from ages ago, which I didn't even put into my list yet
- watching a lot of seasonal stuff which has an interesting premise/genres
- checking out stacks where anime I watched already (and loved) are in to find something similiar topics
- checking "if u liked X u will like Y" on specific anime, watching something with similiar vibes/moods
- checking out genre tags which I enjoy most to watch anime I haven't yet (for example mystery or suspense r genres I keep digging deeper into to find anime, I haven't watched)
- chatting with friends who have similiar taste to mine - usually I get a recommendation for something I haven't watched yet
- using a different anime website which I won't name here, which has more than just genre to search for but way more detailed tags to explore, for times when I wanna watch something very specific
The stain of red that colors the pavement
Painted with blood of somebody you love
Is this the sacrifice for the broken
Losing the purest of what's in your heart
Jul 27, 2023 9:02 PM

Sep 2020
I usually find new anime by genres I like, series that are similar to what I last watched(multiple queues), or just random recommendations, and most of the time I quite enjoy them.

Besides seasonals I’m watching these:
-Durarara
-Chuunibyou
-Yatogame-chan
-Saki
-Zero no tsukaima
Jul 27, 2023 9:27 PM

Apr 2021
_cjessop19_ said:
You might feel like that because maybe you're not willing to open out and experience different anime that aren't within your comfort zone. Try exploring the DB and see what interests you. Go start the likes of Gundam or Gintama as there's weeks worth of content available just from those two franchises alone.

Even I have so much left to complete, it'll take me decades to burn through most series.
Says the guy who fills 90% of his list with music videos and minute long shorts, hilarious preaching. Biggest clowns on this board, you haven't seen shit 🤡
Jul 27, 2023 9:28 PM

Mar 2019
Is that anime is not marvel and dc. ^^

Anime tip for you: Summertime Render
It's a very cool mystery/supernatural anime with time travel.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/47194/Summertime_Render?q=summer&cat=anime

Jul 27, 2023 9:43 PM

Feb 2016
TheAngryNerd said:
The problem is you're only trying to find "good" shows.
I quit looking for good shows back in 2016. My list didn't even have 200 completed entries at the time. Most of my later favorites I found without really trying.
その目だれの目?
Jul 27, 2023 9:45 PM

Jul 2021
i haven't watched that many but i have more than 900 in my ptw. and all them are the ones that i'm sure i will enjoy. i think it gets hard to find a good one after you cross 1000 or 1500 mark. 500 is nothing. i'll complete 400 when this season ends and by next may i will reach 500 completed too and will still have plenty of good ones left to watch.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 27, 2023 9:55 PM
Jul 2018
There are coming quite a lot of good anime up and I haven't seen older anime I really want to see yet.
And uhm... I just really love anime and I'm easy to impress. To be very honest.

And what things are you currently watching?

Rewatch: The Ancient Magus Bride

Older anime:
The Count of Monte Cristo
Vinland Saga
Planetes (looked into, my next one)
Dr. Stone (next after Planetes)
The Great Passage (because of MAL Stack Challenge)

Seasonals / Last one or two Seasons:
Heavenly Delusion
Undead Murder Farce
Jujutsu Kaisen S2
Hell's Paradise
Zom 100
removed-userJul 27, 2023 10:07 PM
Jul 27, 2023 10:05 PM

Nov 2018
I just Wait.......
I simply do not watch anime anymore, cause I just grew and tastes have changed, I have moved on to other forms of entertainment. But then and now, I do come back for the New Season Gems. But forever there has been and will always be there are One Piece Sundays for me.
Great question though, cause after completing 500+ shows, we do start scratching the tank for things we might like and find Hametsu No Mars......
Anyways Enjoy
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 27, 2023 10:12 PM
Aug 2012
Not at 500+ yet at (400), it definitely takes a long time to get to that number, it took me over 10 years or so. . Netflix and Crunchyroll definitely helps when it comes to increasing your watch number. I've been watching pretty consistently since 2012, and there's always new stuff to watch as long as you're willing to give anything a shot. Some will be snore fests, and some will be amazing.
Jul 27, 2023 10:40 PM

Jun 2016
I once thought that I'm never going to run out but now it seems closer than ever. I'm just hoping that my new full time job means that companies are gonna be releasing good shit faster than I can watch them.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 27, 2023 10:50 PM

Jan 2013
JKKH said:
I haven't even seen that much but sometimes even I feel like there's not much left to get around to. I know it's not really true as there's still a lot out there. And I know new stuff is coming out each season but besides those seasonal shows where do you 500+ completed people find worthwhile anime? Who do you follow for recs or how do you go about digging through stuff? And what things are you currently watching?
Five hundred is nothing, you could easily make it to 1,000 with good shows. Plus, there's a ton of anime being released every year. 

Currently I'm just trying to watch more high rated "classics" instead of zoning out to the usual isekai garbage. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 27, 2023 11:08 PM

Aug 2016
Try and watch different kinds of shows by alternating so it doesn't get stale by continuously watching what you like
It helps if you can enjoy a variety of things
Broaden your search. Don't just aim for TV shows as there are plenty of good movies and OVAs
Don't have a cutoff period in terms of airing date. Some "old" shows are quality.
Jul 27, 2023 11:23 PM

Feb 2020
I don't, not anymore, so I'm watching my favorites nowadays + seasonals.
Jul 27, 2023 11:31 PM

Sep 2012
Look at people list and look how they score your favorite. If they put similar score , watch the others anime they score 8 to 10. Since you had similar taste for your favorite you should found somes new hidden gems. When your done find a new list.
Thats how I find new stuff To watch/read.
Jul 27, 2023 11:32 PM

Sep 2018
My first goal was watching every anime rated above 8.00, regardless of their genre of synopsis: just give a try even to the things you don't expect to like, but feel free to drop them as soon as possible if they're not enjoyable, otherwise a burnout is certain. High score doesn't mean better anime, but higher rated anime generally have better production value so you may as well start from there.

Then, if I see an obscure anime being praised by more than one person on the forum, I usually add it to my PTW.
Jul 27, 2023 11:35 PM
Oct 2019
Easy no expectations go randomly and get a good backlog to find something. Proud to reach 703 series after 10 years in and still have fun with what I watch.
Jul 27, 2023 11:42 PM

Dec 2018
I try out the hyped ones. If it's good then I'll complete the show otherwise drop. And sometimes random clips from various places make me watch the show and that I might like.
Jul 27, 2023 11:43 PM
Feb 2021
Aeradae said:
Honestly, seeing the quality of the new anime coming out I don't blame anime new-comers for feeling that there isn't much left to watch. There's so much older anime that you could explore that is, in my opinion, much better. I find anime through MAL recs, combing through the database, from friends who also enjoy older anime, and doing various anime challenges on MAL (such as the yearly Anime Watching Challenge). I'm currently watching anime from the Gegege and Gundam se
Aeradae said:
Honestly, seeing the quality of the new anime coming out I don't blame anime new-comers for feeling that there isn't much left to watch. There's so much older anime that you could explore that is, in my opinion, much better. I find anime through MAL recs, combing through the database, from friends who also enjoy older anime, and doing various anime challenges on MAL (such as the yearly Anime Watching Challenge). I'm currently watching anime from the Gegege and Gundam series.
uhmm i hope you dont mind imma just go through your list cause it seems you have watched a lot of anime thanks 
Jul 27, 2023 11:49 PM

Jun 2019
Personally I dived into older anime (Cat's Eye, Dirty Pair, City Hunter) and classics (ie Nana, Princess Tutu, Utena, Serial Experiments Lain, GitS SAC, Haibane Renmei, Usagi Drop), plus getting into franchises like Gundam, Macross, Tenchi, Clamp, Fate and picking up longer running titles (InuYasha, Ranma, Yu Yu Hakusho, LotGH). Also love fantasy and sci-fi OVA's from the 80's and 90's and there's always more to find, just finished Dream Hunter Rem OVA last weekend and it was pretty good watch.

The more I watch the more stuff I find to watch. I also keep up with some seasonals and there's still loads of completed shows I haven't gotten around to yet (Rose of Versailles, Chihayafuru, Kokkoro Connect, Ping Pong the Animation plus loads of sequels).

I've also broadened my exposure to different genres that I maybe wouldn't have watched a few years ago, mainly shoujo and idol anime. One of the best shows I picked up in the last year was Idolmaster 2011 (also Healer Girl seasonal from 2022), and Cardcaptor Sakura was amazing. Currently watching Nana and it's very very good, emotional rollercoaster.
23feanorJul 27, 2023 11:57 PM
Jul 28, 2023 12:01 AM

Nov 2018
Oppai_Loli_God said:
_cjessop19_ said:

Says the guy who fills 90% of his list with music videos and minute long shorts, hilarious preaching. Biggest clowns on this board, you haven't seen shit 🤡

I’ve seen more anime than you’ll ever watch in your lifetime. You’re in no position to lecture anyone about their list given yours consists entirely of hentai. Use what little brain cells you have before making a forum post 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jul 28, 2023 12:07 AM

Sep 2015
Yeah I do wonder about that myself, it's getting more difficult to get into random shows nowadays
Jul 28, 2023 12:11 AM

Oct 2010
I just watch seasonals plus anime I see through recommendations pages, sometimes I watch anime my friends tell me
Jul 28, 2023 12:27 AM

Aug 2013
I don't seek "good anime", all I do is just watch any type of show when I feel like it and then just pick random anime that pique my interest, though the results can be vary ranging from enjoyable to downright awful.

English is my second language
Jul 28, 2023 12:29 AM

Apr 2021
_cjessop19_ said:
Oppai_Loli_God said:

I’ve seen more anime than you’ll ever watch in your lifetime. You’re in no position to lecture anyone about their list given yours consists entirely of hentai. Use what little brain cells you have before making a forum post 🤡🤡🤡🤡
Guy thinks I've only seen hentai lol, I've already seen more than you, but keep on padding your list to make yourself feel accomplished and have meaning to your life. 3600 completed, not even 200 days watched 🤣🤣 🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡
Jul 28, 2023 12:35 AM

Aug 2020
JKKH said:
where do you 500+ completed people find worthwhile anime?
on MAL, look at the rec section of shows you already liked and then check out every single thing on it especially the writers and/or director. See how many promising elements are there. Also try to expand your scope of what makes a "worthwhile anime". As a result, i've been able to adapt myself to almost every single type of anime released all the way back to the 70s era while still maintaing a relatively high mean score.

JKKH said:
Who do you follow for recs
no one in particular.

JKKH said:
And what things are you currently watching?
Mirai Shounen Conan
Uchuu Senkan Yamato (1974)
Keroro Gunsou
Hanada Shounen-shi
Helck
Jjk s2
Tonikawa ONA
TRC_RandyJul 28, 2023 1:35 AM
Jul 28, 2023 12:35 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I completed 500 anime by 2005/2006...

And like @Rinrinka said "when I was a kid I simply watched what was on TV and what I could find from DVD stores, I didn't think much about whether I would like it or not back then, I just watched blindly.
Then when I finally had internet I simply looked at the synopsis and just watch the ones which look interesting and without realizing I already watched 500+ anime."

I've been watching anime for more than 25 years...and as a kid I had subscription to animax on satellite TV that aired anime 24*7..

Jul 28, 2023 1:22 AM

Apr 2015
I usually just find stuff by random. Like through youtube or clicking random users profiles here and looking at their favs. I don't follow any particular person/website for that. I get recs now and then and really appreciate those. Sometimes I just pick a random year and check what was released during that time.

How I choose what to check out is just my own interests atm. Sometimes I wanna watch works that have had some cult following/impact to the industry, see some animator I like worked in a project, it uses stopmotion etc. I don't try to find the perfect show/movie, I just want to see something different.
Jul 28, 2023 1:31 AM

Apr 2023
I dont. For every good anime, i´d have to watch 100 mediocre ones.
Jul 28, 2023 2:29 AM

May 2018
"People who've seen like 500+ anime, how do you keep finding good things to watch?"

Like "scanning" genres, themes, authors, franchises and periods which interest me. Very few shows which I pick up actually turn out being entertaining to me, but I drop easily, so wouldn't consider this process a big loss of time.
Jul 28, 2023 3:13 AM

May 2014
I went and looked through every anime released ever on mal's archives haha. I just added anything that looked interesting to my ptw list and watched what I felt like. Plus there's like 50-ish new anime released every new season. There's always plenty to watch for me personally.
Jul 28, 2023 3:17 AM

Feb 2021
i used to rely on profile-hopping, but with the interest stacks, it's fairly easier now to find them.
Jul 28, 2023 3:25 AM

Oct 2019
I have seen like 200, but I have hundreds of shows that looked interesting to me in my plan to watch list.

check it, you might something interesting.

I have gathered it through years of looking through old and new shows.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 28, 2023 3:59 AM

Apr 2012
Even after watching 1400 shows, I still only watched 4-5% of all shows on MAL. I have enough seasonal shows and anime, which for some reason I ignored or could not finish watching as a child.
Jul 28, 2023 10:42 AM

May 2017
Samarth_Saini said:
Aeradae said:
uhmm i hope you dont mind imma just go through your list cause it seems you have watched a lot of anime thanks 

Sure, go for it ^^ If you want specific recs you could let me know what sorts of stuff you're interested in and I could try and narrow it down for you.
Jul 28, 2023 12:27 PM

Sep 2007
I generally look into any anime that I may/might like or enjoy by reading comments and reviews including source as well as youtube. I also watch older anime if they're good or heard interesting things about on forums/community as well as from friends.

Pretty much do some research and see what the community are saying about whatever anime that might have you interested or thinking of watching as well as your friends.
Jul 28, 2023 1:03 PM

Apr 2018
I'm watching anime for more than 20+years and I find some diamonds from site or reading on forums. But the Mal com gave it shitty score. and the page of that anime wasn't particulary good.
I didn't watched 500+ animes, but i did rewatch some good anime several times ( like for example I Rewatched one piece 4 times , or GTO 8 times. )

Many times now, i need to re-watch an anime due to the waiting for seasons to drop. Like I don't remember details from season 1-2 , so I need to rewatch the whole show.

I also change some genre, actually i'm more into romantic/comedy show. As before i was full on shonen or fight.

Also I had a friend who didn't give a fuk back then he was just picking anime by alphabet begin with A-B-C... etc . And if he didn't like an anime after 3-5 episodes he dropped it.

-

I will advice you to search 5-10 MaL users who have the same test as you.
And just add friends or put them as favorites.
To see what they are watching.
and...
The older you get, the less time you have... ( or you prioritize other things in life ). And more new animes will come up.

Don't worry about getting entertained...
satchoffJul 28, 2023 1:07 PM
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes.
It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo.
Jul 28, 2023 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Also don't let these bigger lists fool you. Lot of series are split into different seasons + ovas, movies etc to them, individual ovas and movies, some music videos... 
It adds up with time.

It took me 20+ years to get there and the list really is not that big.
That doesn't look like that, but I'm not watching that many anime and also really like to rewatch something I already loved.
I'm always a dozen of series "behind" of what I wanted to watch, but they don't run away.
And it only needs two or three days to watch a 12 episode show, if you binge it.

When you have some time left, you can go through the seasonal charts piece by piece back to the 90s or so.
That's how I did it and found some new series. Especially when I skipped through the manga genre and tags lists.

Edit: I have 771 completed anime with TV format in my completed list, but I guess you subtract ca. 200-250 because there are a lot of sequels and some short tv series in there.
Most also only have 12 episodes.
removed-userJul 28, 2023 3:53 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which anime could be classified as "Technically isikai?"( Another place but same world)

Ratris_Decision - 8 hours ago

7 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
16 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Today

20 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
19 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 3 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

105 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
25 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - May 25

43 by NiceCorn »»
26 minutes ago

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

52 by MadanielFL »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.